test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bio-Neural Warhead, and Torpedo High Yield

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Klingon Discussion
So, I am a F2P player, and since I have been logging so many hours into this game, I decided to support it by using some C-points in their store (but not for godawful gambling keys).

I purchased a B'rel retrofit, and had points leftover, so figured "what the hell", and bought the raptor refitting that came with the Bio-neural warhead.

So far, it has worked pretty well with the B'rel in pvp. I can 1-shot weaker ships, and can jump in with my Klingon buddies in a furball pretty well, as the turret on the bio-neural keeps the shield down on some bigger ships.

My question though, is if Torpedo High Yield has any effect on this thing or not. Has anybody run some tests on it? I'm wondering if I would have better results with a regular tricobalt lauched at near point blank with THY3.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    I dont think it has any effect but you can try it yourself. Just go into any space map, have the Bio-neural warhead equipped and then hover over the weapon icon. Look at its dmg and effects and then activate High-yield torpedo, if you see any change then it does effect it, if nothing happens then it doesn't effect it.

And why did you by the B'rel? its sooo.... squishy.
    edited February 2012
    Spartan118 wrote: »
    I dont think it has any effect but you can try it yourself. Just go into any space map, have the Bio-neural warhead equipped and then hover over the weapon icon. Look at its dmg and effects and then activate High-yield torpedo, if you see any change then it does effect it, if nothing happens then it doesn't effect it.

And why did you by the B'rel? its sooo.... squishy.

Thanks, I didn't know you could do that. No idea the tooltip stats were updated on the fly.

I got the B'rel mostly because I like the looks of it, but still wanted 4 frontal weapon slots. Now that I have it, I am enjoying the challenge of making the most of it's signature ability. I haven't had durability issues in pvp, as I pick and choose my targets. PVE has been very challenging though because of it. Stick with my carrier for that now.

More on tricobalts: I have heard it is difficult to land them sometimes in pvp. Is there any way to improve these prospects. If I can land these with regularity, I will probably go with them over the bioneural if THY is indeed having no effect.
    edited February 2012
    The easiest way to check is to press "p" and check the weapon's entry on the right. Not only will it list the stats as they are in relation to your ship at that second, but it also describes anything like the effect high yield or rapid fire will have on it as well. It's good for checking just how much aux buffs a science power, or how much DPS you get at full alpha with one weapon loadout vs another.
    edited February 2012
    Well you're in a B'rel. So you shouldn't have a problem with landing torps. And tricobalts do get a modifier from torpedo powers. It's all in the timing.
    edited February 2012
    The Bio neural does not gain anything with HYT or TS. I like to use it so i don't have to slot a Boff skill to make it effective.
    edited February 2012
    If you fire a tricobalt point blank, and if you are in a B'rel, you will most likely blow yourself up. I have the bio-neural on my B'rel in the aft(the other slot a turret) and I like it. The cannon on the bio is good for taking down mines and such, because of the AI it will automatically target a new target if the old one is destroyed.
    edited February 2012
    Remember the BioNeural has a minimum launch distance and will not launch closer than 2.5 km I think, so Point Blank delivery may be difficult.
    Also worth noting is that all your Tactical buffs effect the BioNueral as well as heals and the like so you can buff it up and protect it in flight in that manner.
    edited February 2012
    I’ve been using the Bio-Neural Warhead with my Marauder Beam Boat. (KDF Tactical)

The Warhead packs quite the punch.

IMO if you’re going to run with the Bio-Neural Warhead on a BOP or a Raptor then you should run another Quantum or Photon with it so you can use your torpedo skills.

The cool down seems quite long on the Bio.

If I were using the Brel Refit I think my weapon setup would go something like this:

Fore: Dual Heavy, Bio-Neural, Quantum, Dual Heavy
    Aft: Turret, Photon Torp, Turret
    edited February 2012
    So I did some testing with the bioneural and a tricobalt xi (dmgx2) today.

My b'rel is skirted with 1 warhead yield console, and 2 tricobalt torp consoles.

The bioneural does not get high yield, but has a higher base damage. With all buffs, my damage was listed at about 51k damage.

The tricobalt does get high yield, and with similar buffs, gets about 55k damage.

However, the bioneural, with power directed into my weapons, and buffer up, gets over 1500 dps from it's point defense turret enroute to target. This, along with the shields, and better flight speed than a heavy tricobalt, makes the bioneural the better choice in my eyes. My b'rel has been one-shotting dudes left and right, without needing to get close enough for science ships to detect me.
    edited February 2012
    Try Buffing it and following behind with a Extend shields on it. Just for fun hit the intended target with SS or JS first.
    edited February 2012
    Not being affected by by HYT is why it's the perfect torp for a cannon or beam build.

Also, I love when somebody starts to try to shoot it down in a panic and you toss an Aux2Sif on it.
    edited February 2012
    Started using the Bio-Neural warhead on my MCP the other day, one shot a Breen Cruiser once the shields came down. I was impressed.
    edited February 2012
    Sprint01 wrote:
    Started using the Bio-Neural warhead on my MCP the other day, one shot a Breen Cruiser once the shields came down. I was impressed.

It is still a very potent tricobalt torpedo.
    edited February 2012
    It's base damage is higher, so even without THY, it's damage is nearly that of a tricobalt. I am using a setup of Tactical Team I, AP Beta I, AP Omega I, and Cannon Rapid Fire III, for my tac officer now.

Massive cannon damage, then the bioneural to drive the nail in.
    edited February 2012
    Becuase it is still a very potent Tricobalt weapon.
    edited February 2012
    Is the Bio-Neural warhead still bugged so as to shoot the missle in a foward direction when the launcher is actually aft-mounted? The latter is pretty annoying since the warhead has to make slow U-turn before it can actually hit its mark.
    edited February 2012
    Shar487 wrote:
    Is the Bio-Neural warhead still bugged so as to shoot the missle in a foward direction when the launcher is actually aft-mounted? The latter is pretty annoying since the warhead has to make slow U-turn before it can actually hit its mark.

It may be a bug, but it's kind of cool to watch it change course like that. "To be or not to be" Startrek VI: BOOM LOL

Sarah
    edited February 2012
    Shar487 wrote:

As Commanding Officer for the KDF Sentient Biological Guided Weapons Squadron, I can say that this bug helps me with my RP.

My unit is currently researching and developing cost saving alternatives to bio-neural warheads as well as upgrading conventional mines and projectiles.

The KDF Sentient Biological Guided Weapons Squadron is hard at work setting it's sights on launching a few pilots and their careers into the right direction!

Qapla'!
    edited February 2012
    My Warhead has hit for over 155k against things like Gates and Transformers. I've seen 90k on Tactical Cubes.

HY and Spread have no effect on this, but Trico Tact Consoles do.
  • lordseptimlordseptim Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    My Bio-Neural Warhead keeps doing 930 dmg to anything borg... is anyone else getting this? (I haven't tried it anywhere else yet, but to the borg it does 930 dmg which is very disappointing given I paid alot for it >.>)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Way to go ruining the game!
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,463 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    lordseptim wrote: »
    My Bio-Neural Warhead keeps doing 930 dmg to anything borg... is anyone else getting this? (I haven't tried it anywhere else yet, but to the borg it does 930 dmg which is very disappointing given I paid alot for it >.>)

Are you certain that's not the point defense sniping at the borg shields?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • lordseptimlordseptim Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm very sure, the point defence appears to be doing alot more damage than the actual explosion. I've now also tried it on non-borg targets, same results.. 930 dmg with or without shields, with no noticeable AOE. I'm considering getting rid of it.. It's just not usable in any scenario with that kind of explosive damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Way to go ruining the game!
  • koltorockoltoroc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ah, the mysterious 930 dmg bio neural hits. was driving our fleet nuts for a while, but we managed to figure out what it is. It is *not* the damage it does to any target, its the damage it does to *itself*. when you fire it and take a look at its hit points you will see, that a max lvl Bio neural has exactly 930 HP.

I suspect, that the explosion is for whatever reason not targeted at the actual target but at the bio neural. I have seen it doing 150k+ crits when fully buffed.