test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question for Devs: for a Foundry mission I'm developing

rjskylynxrjskylynx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
So after raking through the Terms and Conditions of using and creating missions on the Foundry, I've ran into a quandry that doesn't seem to be covered by them. This is a problem as if I went ahead and it turned out to be a breach of terms, then that would be an awful mess.

Put simply, it's a rather important milestone in the mission (tenatively titled "Into the Penumbra") and it involves the player being pursued by, and eventually entering combat with the Enterprise-F.

Yes. F.

There's my problem.

The T&C says nothing on TV is allowed... the NCC-1701 and its successors -A through -E.

What about F?

Can we use that?
Post edited by rjskylynx on

Comments

• Options
    zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think it's been asked before and the answer is yes you can use it.
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2013
    You can use things that are in-game already and were developed for the game.

We'd have no props, maps, or NPCs at all if that were not the case, lol.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    ajstonerajstoner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Also, if you have a question for the devs, the foundry forums are likely the worst possibile location for it, lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rangerryurangerryu Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    and you can use the old Enterprises just not allowed to use any characters that look like the actors on them.
  • Options
    svwilsonsvwilson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    rangerryu wrote: »
    and you can use the old Enterprises just not allowed to use any characters that look like the actors on them.

Out of topic digression: When I was hailed by the Enterprise-E, the portrait on screen wasn't the captain, Data, but some Andorian. I'm guessing that Brent Spiner hasn't granted Cryptic permission to use his face, so they used a workaround open to the rest of us.

BTW, who was the Androian -- is it Data's first officer or something?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    If it was an Andorian, you were probably hailed by the new Enterprise F, which is something created for this game. His name is Captain Shon I believe.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think branflakes, but one of the devs had a big question thread about the EULA.

Anything that is in game already is allowed. Ships from the show are allowed. Characters from the show are allowed. What is not allowed is making the characters look like their actors. So you could have Ambasssador Picard, but he can't look like Patrick Stewart.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    svwilsonsvwilson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    grylak wrote: »
    I think branflakes, but one of the devs had a big question thread about the EULA.

Anything that is in game already is allowed. Ships from the show are allowed. Characters from the show are allowed. What is not allowed is making the characters look like their actors. So you could have Ambasssador Picard, but he can't look like Patrick Stewart.

He could be wearing a MACO battlesuit with the opaque face mask. Or he could be unconscious and lying face down through the whole mission. Or Q could have turned him into a young version of his Aunt Adele. Or other, not-so-silly workarounds.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    svwilson wrote: »
    He could be wearing a MACO battlesuit with the opaque face mask. Or he could be unconscious and lying face down through the whole mission. Or Q could have turned him into a young version of his Aunt Adele. Or other, not-so-silly workarounds.

Correct, although we don't have access to the MACO outfit in the Foundry...
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Import Costume? Maybe not...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    betawatcherbetawatcher Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    rjskylynx wrote: »
    The T&C says nothing on TV is allowed...

That is false. In fact, you have it backwards. You can use anything from the TV series and movies(before ST09), with the one exception of actor likenesses. You can use Picard the character, but you cant make him resemble Patrick Stewart the actor who played him. But as far as famous ships, you can in fact use them. Proof here:
    1. Can we use the names of ships from any show/ movie? For example, show a Defiant class vessel called U.S.S. Defiant, or a Galaxy class ship named U.S.S. Enterprise? Not talking about showing anyone from the crew, just the ship itself.

Nothing in the EULA prevents this. Please refer to the EULA for a list of Star Trek properties

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=271084
  • Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    svwilson wrote: »

IIRC someone even made a mission called "The Inner Darkness" which features Ambassador Picard wearing a VISOR to partly conceal his face.
  • Options
    rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    With any Legal issue its a grey area.
    Even though the rules are 'You can't use the likness of Actors', it's still OK to make a character that looks nothing like the Actor; just like Spock, Mkcoy and Scotty in STO.
    However we are told not to use these characters at all, I'm assuming just encase.

I got a mission in development that has a cameo by a reprogrammed Lore, I got around the Likness issue by giving him a slightly differant face and saying him saying he wanted to change his face after he heard his Brother died, then after he got revived he got accustomed to the new features. :)
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy