test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New ships on store instead of boxes

encadiencadi Member Posts: 55 Arc User
Could we pelase have the new ships directly on Store instead of silyl lockbxoes and leave for lockboxes only silly stuff like pets or apparence only ships?
Post edited by encadi on

Comments

• shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    encadi wrote: »
    Could we pelase have the new ships directly on Store instead of silyl lockbxoes and leave for lockboxes only silly stuff like pets or apparence only ships?

As much as I'd like to see this happen, such a move would cut directly into Crpytic's lock box profitability :(
  • evendzharevendzhar Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Nowaydays most c-store ships are just unique console receptacles, anyway.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Cryptic seems to follow a simple policy for ships. If it belongs to a particular faction, then sell it on the C-Store or have it purchased with dilithium. If it doesn't belong to a particular ship, then sell it through lockboxes.

CBS has to approve what ships get approved and the only way lockbox ships would be approved is through lockboxes. Having ships that should never belong to a particular faction have to be kept rare and lockboxes are a way of doing it.
    edited January 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Having ships that should never belong to a particular faction have to be kept rare and lockboxes are a way of doing it.
    Breen Chel Grett Warship.
    edited January 2013
    evendzhar wrote: »
    Breen Chel Grett Warship.

There was two ways of getting it. Doing a daily race 25 times which requires effort or through the lobi store which requires lockboxes. Effort is a way to keep things rare or at least about as rare as the lockbox ships.
    edited January 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    There was two ways of getting it. Doing a daily race 25 times which requires effort or through the lobi store which requires lockboxes. Effort is a way to keep things rare or at least about as rare as the lockbox ships.
    The Breen ship is incredibly common, though.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited January 2013

The problem is that in selling through lockboxes they average a lot more Zen spent per ship than if they sold it in the C-store. Basically its way more profitable to make the playerbase gamble for it.

My advice? Spend about $20 to $25 USD on lockbox keys, sell them in the exchange and use that EC to start working up to the 60 to 80 million EC that the new ships will cost each. Its character specific but its the best you can do. Opening boxes yourself in teh hopes of getting a ship is a BAD IDEA. It can happen, but the odds are so stacked against you its not worth trying.
    edited January 2013
    My method of getting lockbox ships is seeing which lobi store items I want and are bind on pickup. Open up enough lockboxes to get the items and hopefully, I will get a lockbox ship. Then I just sell keys on the exchange to get the lockbox items on the exchange. Opening up hundreds of lockboxes to get the lockbox ship or the lobi store ship is incredibly stupid.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    evendzhar wrote: »
    The Breen ship is incredibly common, though.

But it was not free as you had to jump through hoops, and was not given out to anyone just for kicks like the Odyssey class or soon to be Ambassador class....plus Cryptic could have easily put it in a lockbox and been all Scrooge and not been nice like the Jem ship.:eek:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • encadiencadi Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So you are telling me Cryptic only cares about profit though lockboxes and not their customer base? Would be nice tog et an official answer
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So you are telling me Cryptic only cares about profit though lockboxes and not their customer base? Would be nice tog et an official answer

The thing is, there are dozens, if not hundreds of players who would be more than willing to blow a few hundred dollars on the game to get lock-box keys and use them to try and get the new ships/items. So as much as the rest of us really would want a guaranteed way of getting these ships instead of as a gamble, we are vastly outnumbered by those who are willing to play the lock-box game.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
    edited January 2013
    The thing is, there are dozens, if not hundreds of players who would be more than willing to blow a few hundred dollars on the game to get lock-box keys and use them to try and get the new ships/items. So as much as the rest of us really would want a guaranteed way of getting these ships instead of as a gamble, we are vastly outnumbered by those who are willing to play the lock-box game.

Are ou really sure about that? I would be willing to bet that people would prefer them store
  • krayuskorianiskrayuskorianis Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Are ou really sure about that? I would be willing to bet that people would prefer them store

They're sure about that. There are MANY people who are willing to pay to get them, even through lockboxes. So it's not gonna change anytime soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    i3-2100 3.10GHz
    8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM CL9
    ASUS DirectCU II GTX 660 OC 2GB GDDR5
  • diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I remember last year during some discussion on lock boxes, and a statistic came out of Cryptic that lock boxes brought in more revenue than the combined subscriptions for the entire continent of Europe. If that's the case, then you really can't expect them to put these ships in the C-Store.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'll probably do it the EC way, lol, like I did with my Wells and Mobius class ships. :)

Though I did buy a few of the previous doff packs which featured a chance of a Jem'Hadar bugship.

Actually got a Jem bugger, which I then sold for massive EC. ;)

I used that EC to buy the D'Kora and the Orb Weaver. :P
  • vesolcvesolc Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    There will be new Z-store ships. But they will always be subpar to the lobi ones. Which is understandable.
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Apparently we will need to farm the EC foundry missions as much as possible until they get taken away. Not buying lockboxes for Lobi. Not gonna happen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • nightmarechi1dnightmarechi1d Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Never ceases to amaze me how many people think video game companies are charities letting us play for free while they spend huge amounts of money keeping the servers going and paying their employees. Of course they care about the money. They need to eat too you know.
    Cryptic doesn't want these ships to become common, so there's a relatively limited supply (in terms of the number that comes from boxes - a couple thousand top-tier ships at most, I'd guess).
    If they put them on the c-store everybody could have them, which would be plain ridiculous - giving out so many ChelGretts was pretty questionable already...

They'd either have to make the ships not worth using to limit their appearance (but this hurts sales) or put a gigantic price tag on them ala 10.000 Zen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He's dead, Jim.
    edited January 2013
    Never ceases to amaze me how many people think video game companies are charities letting us play for free while they spend huge amounts of money keeping the servers going and paying their employees. Of course they care about the money. They need to eat too you know.

Well they need to think loong term vs short term money but it seems people are happy enough to buy keys instead of ships..
    edited January 2013
    Cryptic doesn't want these ships to become common, so there's a relatively limited supply (in terms of the number that comes from boxes - a couple thousand top-tier ships at most, I'd guess).
    If they put them on the c-store everybody could have them, which would be plain ridiculous - giving out so many ChelGretts was pretty questionable already...

They'd either have to make the ships not worth using to limit their appearance (but this hurts sales) or put a gigantic price tag on them ala 10.000 Zen.

Doesnt giving overpowered ships in very limited ways kind of unbalance the whole game both pve and pvp? Shouldnt all the top ships be avaible and the rare ones should only be cosmetic changes?
  • rogerveerogervee Member Posts: 0
    edited January 2013
    Lock Boxes are a decent idea, as is the lobi store. It fuels game development.

In saying that, whoever decided to do a dominion box should be fired. I mean really we should have seen this garbage coming. I especially like the part where you must have a bug ship to fully use the new ships, but more over I am sincerely disappointed in the break from the Romulan theme. Romulan ships would have been awesome. But instead they decide to leap head long back into DS9. Its bad enough that most DS9 content is god awful, from the voice acting to the poor quality of the writing.

Worse over hasn't it been beaten to death with the cardassian and ferengi boxes yet?
  • lolimpicardlolimpicard Member Posts: 309
    edited January 2013
    Doesnt giving overpowered ships in very limited ways kind of unbalance the whole game both pve and pvp? Shouldnt all the top ships be avaible and the rare ones should only be cosmetic changes?

They're not really overpowered (my opinion at least) - but they're as strong as the best other ships available (both fleet and c-store).
    It's just a mechanism to make them desirable - there's no point in making the ships both rare and useless - one "drawback" is sufficient.

There's no doubt this system is slightly "cruel", but the ships are tradeable after all - so most people have a real chance to acquire one if they really want to (cash out those 30-100M EC).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He's dead, Jim.
  • balordezulbalordezul Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would love to see a refits of the Voquv, Neghvar, Raptor.

-Vo'quv - Larger model or a better way to display of deploying of frigates.
    -console idea: something to go along with the lore that is a very troop heavy ship or planet sieges/resupply - maybe something to protect crew or a beam over boarding party. Vo'quv only console maybe.

- Neghvar - a new visual model in the style of the Bortas
    - console idea: a team buff plus some defensive stats to promote tanking or even a + agro

- Raptor - a reason to take it over the other options, plus a sleek looking model
    -console idea: a raptor only console that lets you battle cloak (I don't fly these but that is all I could think of) .... really I got nothing on this one.

So you know I would buy a refits of the three ship to just get new models/skins no matter what console they end up having.

Just my 2 cents
  • phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited January 2013

I'm betting you'll see a T5 Fed and KDF ship in C-Store in about 7 days...Ambassador class here we come!
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

It won't happen. If selling ships in the store was more profitable, they would do it right away. They fond their sweet spot to max out profit and we were told that lockboxes were what keeps the servers on.

Fore more info on why lockboxes are far more profitable than store releases, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good To fully understand this article, remember that in space, your ship is your avatar, ie how people see you.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It's a dynamically unstable system anyways.... It's simply impossible to balance it without having it stagnate...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • cletusdeadmancletusdeadman Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    rogervee wrote: »
    Lock Boxes are a decent idea, as is the lobi store. It fuels game development.

That Lobi has to be the worst design system I have ever seen. No moving between character, most items are bind on pickup. If you don't have Lobi on the toon you want to have an item, then you start from scratch even if you have tons of the stuff on another character. And, Cryptic doesn't hide the fact that they are exploiting us and seem pround of it enough to put a video together.

So what part is decent?!
  • darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Are you serious or are you just trolling? It's perfectly clear that lockboxes and lobi are here to stay. It's been clear for a looooong time, too.

diotw wrote: »
    I remember last year during some discussion on lock boxes, and a statistic came out of Cryptic that lock boxes brought in more revenue than the combined subscriptions for the entire continent of Europe. If that's the case, then you really can't expect them to put these ships in the C-Store.

This is why they're going to stay. Also, this is what's going to give the game longevity and new content. More profit for PWE = reinvestment in to the product to make more profit. What, do you think they're doing it out of love?

That Lobi has to be the worst design system I have ever seen. No moving between character, most items are bind on pickup. If you don't have Lobi on the toon you want to have an item, then you start from scratch even if you have tons of the stuff on another character. And, Cryptic doesn't hide the fact that they are exploiting us and seem pround of it enough to put a video together.

So what part is decent?!

Excluding Q's two boxes there are 71 items in the lobi store. Of them I count the following bind on pickup items: two versions of the Rules of Acquisition, 2 consoles, 4 ship weapons, Tholian Ground set augmentation device and 4 personal weapons. I will admit that I'm not sure about the Chroniton and Tholian Crystal, grenade and hypo, but even so I think it's clear that your claim that most items are bind on pickup is flawed.

You also should note that the best items, namely the ships, photonic tac officer and uniforms are NOT bind on pickup. If they were THEN you'd have cause to grumble.
  • cletusdeadmancletusdeadman Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Excluding Q's two boxes there are 71 items in the lobi store. Of them I count the following bind on pickup items: two versions of the Rules of Acquisition, 2 consoles, 4 ship weapons, Tholian Ground set augmentation device and 4 personal weapons. I will admit that I'm not sure about the Chroniton and Tholian Crystal, grenade and hypo, but even so I think it's clear that your claim that most items are bind on pickup is flawed.

You also should note that the best items, namely the ships, photonic tac officer and uniforms are NOT bind on pickup. If they were THEN you'd have cause to grumble.

I don't hint at anything. The Tholian ground set augmentation is bound up pick up. The Crystaline set pieces are bound on pick up. The Lobi are abound on pick up.
    The only way to get them is have the Lobi on that toon regardless of how much Lobi you have on a different toon.

The Jem Hadar MK XII conversion is going to be the same way. I want it on my bug ship for my tactical captain. All of my Lobi is sitting on my engineer character. I can't move it over, purchase it for that character, or anything.
    Cryptic wants me to purchase additional Lobi to get those pieces for that character because it is bound. They are exploiting me and everybody else in this situtation for a few dollars.

Assuming we stick with what I said and not what you read into it, which part is still confusing?