test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Vo'quv versus Recluse... What are people's thoughts

momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Klingon Discussion
This is for PVE.

Presently I've got a science character flying a Vo'quv. I managed to snipe a Recluse off the exchange at a very good price, which means I can either resell the thing for a tidy sum in profit or switch to flying it.

Now obviously the Recluse is hands down better in one major way, which is that it has extremely powerful shielding. Thicker even than many science ships! It also doesn't skimp on hull strength (Neither does Vo'quv), and gains an additional layer of armor, making it one durable beast of a ship.

There's also a few oddities, like the fact compared to Vo'quv, Recluse loses 5 power to Aux and gains a meaningless 5 power to Engines.

My biggest point of hesitation though is the officer layout.

Vo'quv has an excellent mix of officers. Presently I'm using APB2 and CRF1 on my tactical guy, and two copies of energy siphon on my science commander. This gives the ship both some team support ability (CRF gives more chances on my polarized weapons, and APB amplifies everybody's damage including my pets), while also letting me supercharge myself with a high-uptime siphon cycle.

Going to Recluse, there's a universal commander. If I put an engineer in there I become an undergunned super-heavy cruiser with hangar bays. If I put science in there, I get to keep my energy siphon cycle but sacrifice APB for team/pet damage buffing. And if I put a tactical guy in there I get an even stronger APB along with some other toy, but lose the energy siphons.

So it's not a simple upgrade. Recluse is simply better in some ways, but in other ways it's going to force some compromises.

I'm a little curious what ya'll might have to say on the matter.
Post edited by momaw on

Comments

• Options
    heresincebetaheresincebeta Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well, one of the weaknesses of the VoQuv is that it only has 4 Bridge officers instead of 5. That's 1 less efficient officer (or veteran, or teamwork, or the new romulan space skills).
  • Options
    derbeelzebotderbeelzebot Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I fly the Recluse (Elite Scorps) on my Fed Eng and a Vo'Quv (Adv BoPs) on my KDF Sci and prefer the Recluse for the following reasons:

The difference in the turnrate may be marginal, but combined with the better Inertia value, the Recluse does handle better by a noticeable margin.
    The strength of its shields makes it tough even with the bare minimum of defensive abilities.

You are right that the BOFF layout is awkward for a Sci heavy setup.The Recluse forces you to specialize, but that also means you are able to specialize. You can run APB3 and two copies of CRF for maximum uptime. Or you can run a ludicrous amount of healing with Eng Cmd and Sci + Eng lt.Cmd.

And remember: a carrier with two hangar bays is only undergunned if you equip the wrong ships.

Well, one of the weaknesses of the VoQuv is that it only has 4 Bridge officers instead of 5. That's 1 less efficient officer (or veteran, or teamwork, or the new romulan space skills).

But that is directly compensated by having one Lieutenant instead of two Ensigns and thus one more powerful BOFF ability. Whether one trait is preferred to the Ens->Lt upgrade is anyones decision.
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Recluse: Turns better. better BO set up.

Voq: you get frigates,

But you know what, at this point the Elite Scorpions are as good as the purp BOP. That may change at T5 when you can get elite BOP, but until then, equip your recluse with elite Scorpions and you aren't missing anything
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    erraberrab Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The Recluse with The T5 Romulan Rep System Elite Scorpion Fighters should be quite beastly.

I may breakout my Recluse again tonight (I hit T5 Romulan Rep today) after I get a set of Elite Scorpion Fighters.

One of the main reasons that I shelved my Recluse was due to its weak hanger support options.

Another thing that made me shelve my Recluse was that fact that I could not use Target Subsystems Shields 3 and GW3 or TR3 together in my load out like I can with my Vo'Quv.

The Recluse can be quite the enigma if you character is a pure Science.

You either go with a maxed out Science BO setup and have no real Damage available from Tactical Skills or you go Tactical heavy and risk having to burn a re-spec so you can get the most out that setup.

That's why I stick with my Vo'Quv, it gives you Science heavy with a Lt. Commander Tactical Station and Lt. Commander Engineering Station to boot.

The Recluse is a great vessel and in the right hands it can be incredibly powerful (Elite Scorps all the way here)

In order for me to make use of the Recluse I'd have to re-spec (pure Science) and I'd rather just wait till I can get my hands on the Fleet Vo'Quv (only 2 years to go) :rolleyes:

I think the biggest draw of the Recluse is that it can work for pretty much any class provided that you're not has picky about the BOFF layout has I am :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,638 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I don't the exact build, but a Reculse in an ISE I had PuGed was doing quite well with Romulan Plasma beams and Advanced Interceptors (Orion). It was quite able to rip through Borg while still taking a fair beating with no signs of difficulty. I'm guessing stacked Plasma damage Embassy consoles plus other goodies. I can't recall the captain profession that was flying it, I was more surprised at the thing had an IKS moniker and figuring out what the heck it's pets were at the time (first KDF Recluse I can recall seeing).
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I switched back to the Recluse and loaded up both hangers with Ultra Rare Scorpion Fighters and I'm wrecking with it :eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    errab wrote: »
    I switched back to the Recluse and loaded up both hangers with Ultra Rare Scorpion Fighters and I'm wrecking with it :eek:

That's because it launches 24 of the little buggers. But even with just 12 fighters it'd be a good combination.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    That's because it launches 24 of the little buggers. But even with just 12 fighters it'd be a good combination.

Yeah,

It seems to launch 6 Scorps from each hanger instead of 3 so you get up to 24 in all :eek:

So far it seems to only do that with the Ultra Scorpion Fighters :confused:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    errab wrote: »
    Yeah,

It seems to launch 6 Scorps from each hanger instead of 3 so you get up to 24 in all :eek:

So far it seems to only do that with the Ultra Scorpion Fighters :confused:

It's the same with the Advanced Scorpion Fighters (on the Recluse).