test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Limits!

thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
There's a good story by Larry Niven named "Limits," I suggest reading it.

That said, as I play this game it's all I come up against.

For example, my favorite STF is on a 1 hour cool down?

I can only refine 8,000 Dilithium every 24 hours?

End result: I play a lot of SWTOR, that appears to work well without arbitrary limits while I wait for all the STO limits to pass.

Working as intended?
Post edited by thlaylierah on

Comments

• lolimpicardlolimpicard Member Posts: 309
    edited January 2013
    These aren't the SWTOR forums, friend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He's dead, Jim.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2013

End result: I play a lot of SWTOR, that appears to work well without arbitrary limits while I wait for all the STO limits to pass.

Working as intended?

I thought all the limits there were Monetary?

I like STO's Timed ones better.

(so does my savings account) ;)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I fully understand this.

If I wasn't playing SWTOR to pass all the STO limits, then I would be playing some other game.

The point is: Too Many Limits on play driving me to play other games when I would be Happy just to play STO.

How could anyone "like" limits?
    edited January 2013
    MINECRAFT is my fall-back. :D
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    edited January 2013
    We shouldn't need fallbacks.

A good business model would catch and hold players attention, not drive them away.
    edited January 2013

A good business model would catch and hold players attention, not drive them away.

I didn't say anything about being driven away...

I do MC when I start to feel a STO Over-Load coming on.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This ones wallet is strong with the force, I feel........

Joking aside, Im happy you enjoy swtor
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
    edited January 2013
    business model

Don't derail your own thread.
    In the OP you were talking about game mechanics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He's dead, Jim.
    edited January 2013
    But I'm not overloaded.

I just start to play and start having fun and blam! limits!

Why must I play when they want me to.

Season 8, Remove ALL Limits!!!!

(Or Sooner!)

LOL Hi Roach!
    edited January 2013
    One should always learn to over come ones limits...

There are certainly many different ways to do that in STO.

:)
    edited January 2013
    You're making those "problems" yourself.
    Nothing compels you to play at any point in time.

That 20h cooldown will finish in 15 minutes on character x! Prepare login!
    Afterwards its character y's Epohhs and character z still has assignment slots to fill... :eek:

Or are you complaining that you can't do some content over and over back to back?
    Always the wrong Exploration missions showing up, not your favourite one?

Yes, now I think I can say with full confidence:
    It's working as intended.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He's dead, Jim.
  • captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    More ship slots Plox?

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • selraxxxselraxxx Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Working as intended?

^^^ This For the Win
    And if you're a fan of the time gated farming system, FarmVille might be for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Working as intended?

Good luck to you...just came back from SWTOR...its a deserted town out there...real massive rows of people leaving that game and you think we have problems here. As compared to SWTOR....STO looks like paradise for the typical F2P player...you'll find out sooner or later what I mean :D
    DUwNP.gif

edited January 2013
    Amazing how many different attitudes toward SWTOR there are...

Oh...

Just like with STO.

<chuckle>
    edited January 2013
    selraxxx wrote: »
    ^^^ This For the Win
    And if you're a fan of the time gated farming system, FarmVille might be for you.

The one big difference between the two things you are comparing...

You really don't have to spend ANY money to get stuff in STO, if you have the patience and time to do so.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Well, considering that in SWToR there's no way to earn their cash shop currency (aka Cartel Coins) by doing anything in game; and that under their F2P model, you have to pay Cartel Coins to unlock teh ability to use/wear high end gear drops; and you can't even use any of teh Cartel Coins to buy their upcoming content expansion...

IDK - I'll take a game where doing things earns me the ability to buy from the cash shop without having to spend real cash all the time; and allows me to unlock, acquire and use gear (again) without having to pay real cash for the ability to wear it.

Plus if you actually look at the SWToR forums, EA seems to have more problems fixing new bugs they introduce with every patch then Cryptic does with STO patches (and that's actually pretty scary.)

of course you can always bite the bullet and subscribe at $15 a month; but you'll still have to pay real cash up front for their next major content expansion.

SWToR could be a great MMO - if EA would stop nickel and dimeing their playerbase to death (IMO). be nice if they had a decent F2P option too - and not a glorified trial.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited January 2013
    I guess I should specify:

I am a level 50, been here since Beta, Shipyard full of ships (20 or more), Tier V on both Romulan and Omega Reps, almost to Tier 2 on a Starbase.

So there are a favorite few things to do. Currently I'm adding stuff to the MACO gear in the Tailer so waiting on Dil and OMs.

I fire up an Alt to do some Starbase stuff from time to time.

Everythings much slower now with the depressed STO economy.
    edited January 2013
    I guess I should specify:

I am a level 50, been here since Beta, Shipyard full of ships (20 or more), Tier V on both Romulan and Omega Reps, almost to Tier 2 on a Starbase.

So there are a favorite few things to do. Currently I'm adding stuff to the MACO gear in the Tailer so waiting on Dil and OMs.

I fire up an Alt to do some Starbase stuff from time to time.

You have a point (now), but Cryptic already has most of the money you might give it. :cool:

I'm afraid the veterans always suffer from content drought in every MMO.
    There has never been an exception: The early adopters always finish everything first - and no developer can truly keep up with such a pace (beyond churning out "kill 20 x" missions).

You should, in fact, be happy since now getting content is no longer random and instant - but rather takes some work (altho granted, you already finished most of that).
    It's not an easy path for Cryptic: the fine line between outrageous grinding and time sinks and instant customer gratification.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He's dead, Jim.
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Here's the thing,

The 8000 Dilithium per day is because Dilithium is traded for Zen and is to limit the amount of Free* Zen you can get per day and to attempt to get you to buy Zen to trade for Dilithium. This is a standard across the industry where you can trade Cash Shop currencies for an ingame one.

The time limit between STFs, another standard for repeatable content, done to prevent people from doing nothing but farming the same piece of content over and over. And be glad, in most MMOs end game raids/dungeons have a 24 hour cooldown.

Same with the dailies, most of these offer a big reward for 20 mins to an hours work and so are limited to prevent people farming.

I'll admit that the timer for Rep Experience missions is nothing short of slowing down our advancement, but at the same time most people who've farmed it have only reached Tier 5 recently with just under a month to the next new content release, and (hopefully) three months to the next, this is a situation some MMOs only dream of with most people clearing new content in a week to a month then leaving till the next content addition.

Plus look on the bright side, the Investigate Officer Reports mission (although it does now require a little more than clicking a console) can be repeated every half hour, and like all other repeatable missions in game, counts down from when you take the mission.

Find a foundry mission that takes about 30mins+ and farm that if you want easy Dilithium. I reconmend either the Spotlight missions of either of the Amanda Barcley missons (A will and a Barcley and One too Many). Both are fun simple and take just over 30mins to run. One too many even has multiple options for the first battle including one against easier versions of the STF bosses. (actually just ordinary borg but with the skins of the STF bosses and the Assimilated Undine)

*Free doesn't take into account time costs or the fact that someone somewhere has paid for the Zen.
    edited January 2013
    LOL Hi Roach!

Hi! Yeah I dislike the time limits as well but I can live with it over other options they could have gone with instead.

Btw, if you come across Big Red Jedi in swtor say Hi for us and tell him he is missed.

R.I.P
    edited January 2013

Which may be why they put time limits on some missions, too slow the economy down and slow the accumilation of individual player wealth.

I do not think its working though.

R.I.P
    edited January 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Hi! Yeah I dislike the time limits as well but I can live with it over other options they could have gone with instead.

Btw, if you come across Big Red Jedi in swtor say Hi for us and tell him he is missed.

I'm pretty sure I have seen that name in chat in SWTOR! I will pass that on.

I'm also pretty sure he's one of my friends in STO and might have helped me through The Cure a long time ago.

I am aware of the Dilithium sink. I believe it should reset at 12AM regardless of last refinement.

If they are going to have all these limits then they need to put countdown timers on everything so we can see how long we have to drag.

That should tie up all their developement resources for the next couple of seasons. :P
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I am aware of the Dilithium sink. I believe it should reset at 12AM regardless of last refinement.

Actually, it is reset at 12:00 AM everyday - it's just reset at 12:00 AM UTC.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It would be a really crappy universe if we all liked the same things. I don't think anybody in Cryptic expects us to play nothing but STO. I know for an absolute fact many Cryptic employees play other games, and other MMORPGs.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What bugs me is dilithium is gated per character, not account.

The system is geared to reward me for playing as many alts as possible so I can farm effectively.

I don't want to do that. I just want to play my two main characters. And I'm effectively punished for that.

(Note that I have nine character slots -- that's not the issue)
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • demyx18cdemyx18c Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    While I don't feel as limited as most people considering how I have 10 toons, I can see where you are coming from. I, like the OP, do go to other games when I am feeling story starved but I still prefer to play STO as I have a lot of friends here. Now if only I could find a way to way to get dilithium without having to do the same content over and over:rolleyes:. I guess that's what contraband farming is for as well as officer dailies.

Off topic: You know you can buy most of the stuff from the Cartel market on GTN for ingame money. Just clarifying that though I still prefer STO's method:P.
    Picard to Chunk, do the truffle shuffle!
    edited January 2013
    I bought all the stuff i needed in SWTOR's market with the stipend they gave me and i still have a lot of cartel coins left.

I also like to play just my main Toon, but I keep hitting those limit barriers.

I just got the Outcast Update for Gratuitous Space Battles so that should hold me for an hour.

"Multi-Point Tractor Beams" FTW ;)
  • radkipradkip Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Considering I can log in, start my reputations up, do some duty officer assignments, get a little PvP done, log out, come back on 6 or 8 hours later to see the same people logged in on the same maps still talking to other people tells me they're not worried about driving people away.

Fanfiction! ZOMG! Read it now!
    kate-wintersbite.deviantart.com/art/0x01-Treachery-293641403