test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fleet Starbase Construction

oldspyguyoldspyguy Member Posts: 16 Arc User
edited January 2013 in The Academy
I am more than a little confused and a bit dismayed. We just acquired enough science points (10,000) to complete tier one. STO did open an upgrade project for a communications array. But our starbase is still at tier zero and I obvioulsy don't understand what it takes to get this facility built to tier one. I see no Starbase xp points at all and I thought that once you completed a tier one project in either military, engineering or science that you would get the 1,000 starbase xp and the tier one starbase.

I see no indication that anything on the starbase front has changed.

Would somebody kindly explain this so I can understand?

Thanks.
Post edited by oldspyguy on

Comments

• josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    There are actually a couple of steps involved, in upgrading the actual starbase to the next tier.

You have started your upgrade to the communications array. Once that is finished, you will get a Upgrade Starbase 1 project, which will upgrade your starbase.

In order to upgrade your starbase tier, you MUST upgrade one of your supporting facilities to the corresponding tier, FIRST.

Then, and only then, will you get the project to upgrade the starbase itself.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    No clarify, your Starbase tier is based on Starbase XP, which you don't get from normal projects. Only upgrade projects give that, you get 1000 for each military, science, or engineering tier upgrade you finish. After you finish your communications array, you'll get 1000 starbase XP, which will unlock the starbase tier 1 upgrade.
  • oldspyguyoldspyguy Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Thanks. That's disappointing and I wish I had known that earlier. I also wish there was a better manual on this game. The wiki was not clear on this and STO seems so intricate that I find it hard to keep up.

Thanks again to you both.
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    oldspyguy wrote: »
    Thanks. That's disappointing and I wish I had known that earlier. I also wish there was a better manual on this game. The wiki was not clear on this and STO seems so intricate that I find it hard to keep up.

Thanks again to you both.

I just reached that point myself in my fleet, I looked at the upgrade project, and it clearly says there that upon completing it, one of the benefits is 1000 Fleet XP, so it seemed clear to me. None of the other projects mentioned they gave fleet XP (which they aren't supposed to.)
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm doing the Construct Shipyard right now and it says "1,000 Starbase level"
  • oldspyguyoldspyguy Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I was looking at the wiki and I did not get that there was an extra project after I got to 10,000 points in any of the disciplines. It was my impression that the 10,000 would equate to 1,000 starbase points.

Obviously, I was mistaken. I just wish things were better explained.
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    oldspyguy wrote: »
    I was looking at the wiki and I did not get that there was an extra project after I got to 10,000 points in any of the disciplines. It was my impression that the 10,000 would equate to 1,000 starbase points.

Obviously, I was mistaken. I just wish things were better explained.

If the information was in the game, but not on the player created and maintained wiki where you were looking, I don't think you can really blame Cryptic for this one. :)
  • unityrainsunityrains Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Okay. I am just trying to clarify because no one in my fleet seems to know. You MUST get one of the three sections to 10,00o points before you can upgrade your base to Tier 1. I have looked all over but this seems to be escaping me. Thanks!
  • latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    unityrains wrote: »
    Okay. I am just trying to clarify because no one in my fleet seems to know. You MUST get one of the three sections to 10,00o points before you can upgrade your base to Tier 1. I have looked all over but this seems to be escaping me. Thanks!

Yes, but there are some additional steps.

If you look at general starbase tiers, for Tier 1 it says that it "unlocks at 1000 Fleet XP".

To get 1000 fleet XP, you have to upgrade 1 of your facilities (either shipyard, fabricator, or comm array).

If you look at your facilities, for Tier 1 it says that it "unlocks at 10,000 <facility> XP".

So here is the order:
    1) get 10,000 XP in one of the tracks. Must all be in the same track. (having 5000 xp in engineering and 5000 in military doesn't count as a total 10,000).

2) Run upgrade of that facility (so.. build shipyard, fabricator, or comm array). Upon completion, you get 1000 fleet xp which unlocks the starbase upgrade.

3) Run starbase upgrade project.
    edited October 2012
    unityrains wrote: »

Agreed.

the Mission to upgrade your starbase to level 1. does not say. you must upgrade 1 of the sub categorys to level 1, before your starbase is upgraded.

so. standard unclear information again, sponsored by Perfect World.:rolleyes:
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    so. standard unclear information again, sponsored by Perfect World.

Or simply the fault of people not taking the time to look and read. The next Starbase Tier unlocks at 1.000 Starbase XP. It clearly says so. You only get Starbase XP by completing one of the upgrades (Fabricator, Comm, Shipyard). Nowhere it says that it will unlock with 10.000 Military, Science or Engineering XP.
  • baderyxxbaderyxx Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Or simply the fault of people not taking the time to look and read. The next Starbase Tier unlocks at 1.000 Starbase XP. It clearly says so. You only get Starbase XP by completing one of the upgrades (Fabricator, Comm, Shipyard). Nowhere it says that it will unlock with 10.000 Military, Science or Engineering XP.

Nowhere (that any of our fleet has been able to find) in-game does it say you have to get a single project category to 10K XP, and then complete a Starbase Special Project in order to THEN get another (undoubtedly huge) project to complete the actual base. Nowhere! You can't see ANY info on the Special Projects until you get the requisite 10K categorical XP, only then can you see what the Special Projects are even about. :confused:

Very poor information regarding this in-game, on the STOWiki and on STOAcademy, this forum is the only place we've been able to find any clear directive on what's involved in creating a Fleet Starbase. Would it be so hard to put an actual CLEAR "roadmap" in-game as to what's involved in getting from A to B to C? :mad:

Honestly, had we known how ridiculously long it would take a 5-person fleet of casual players to accomplish this, we never would have started it, probably why information is so pathetically scarce. 6 months and counting, still no Fleet Starbase. Tens of thousands of dilithium invested, thousands of resources, hundreds of DOffs, so far for zilch. Thanks, PW and Cryptic. For nothing.
    -Eryxx
  • dma1986dma1986 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited January 2013
  • mattmiraclemattmiracle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Also, just so you know, the "Transwarp" project DOES NOT give you any starbase XP.
    Matt Miracle

Fleet Commander in Chief [Rank 7] for Covenant of Honor; a FED T5 Starbase
    House Leader [Rank 7] for Honorable House of Mor'gue; a KDF T3 Starbase
    Find us at CovenantofHonor.com.  My Twitter handle; @jmattmiracle
  • bortjinxbortjinx Member Posts: 397
    edited January 2013
    latinumbar wrote: »
    If you look at general starbase tiers, for Tier 1 it says that it "unlocks at 1000 Fleet XP".

To get 1000 fleet XP, you have to upgrade 1 of your facilities (either shipyard, fabricator, or comm array).

If you look at your facilities, for Tier 1 it says that it "unlocks at 10,000 <facility> XP".

It's your second step here that isn't made clear in game. I suspected this would be the case when I looked at forming a solo fleet, but it doesn't say anything about it in the data that is available at the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]