test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Space weapon fire limit?

dabeastiedabeastie Member Posts: 23 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Controls and User Interface
I seem to vaguely remember from a long time ago that there is a limit to how many weapons can fire at once on your ship, I haven't been able to find any details though. Anyone know if I made this up?

Today I put together the full Omega Adapted Borg Tech set replaced my forward torpedo with the Omega Plasma Torp and the rear torpedo with the Cutting Beam. I ran an elite Infected and it felt great but I noticed I wasn't getting the string of pearls out of the Omega Torpedo (the pretty 5 consecutive shots), when I looked at the weapons it seems it couldn't find time to activate between 3 dual cannons, 2 turrets and the Cutting Beam.

So I'm kind of stuck of what to do about it really, everything auto-firing seems to be doing great DPS but I would like to get those torpedoes off more frequently. Mind you the Plasma Energy Bolts work fine, had a 52k crit on a cube, was very nice to see. :D
Post edited by dabeastie on

Comments

• unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    dabeastie wrote: »
    I seem to vaguely remember from a long time ago that there is a limit to how many weapons can fire at once on your ship, I haven't been able to find any details though. Anyone know if I made this up?

Today I put together the full Omega Adapted Borg Tech set replaced my forward torpedo with the Omega Plasma Torp and the rear torpedo with the Cutting Beam. I ran an elite Infected and it felt great but I noticed I wasn't getting the string of pearls out of the Omega Torpedo (the pretty 5 consecutive shots), when I looked at the weapons it seems it couldn't find time to activate between 3 dual cannons, 2 turrets and the Cutting Beam.

So I'm kind of stuck of what to do about it really, everything auto-firing seems to be doing great DPS but I would like to get those torpedoes off more frequently. Mind you the Plasma Energy Bolts work fine, had a 52k crit on a cube, was very nice to see. :D

There's no limit on Autofire (I've had all eight beams on my cruiser firing at once), but I DO know that firing multiple torpedos very quickly - something the Omega and Romulan torpedos do naturally, and Photons + Projectile Doffs do as well - can mess with the launcher cooldowns.

Some player advice has been to take those particular torps off cooldown and simply fire them manually when you're in the arc. Can be a pain, but special torps require special treatment sometimes.
  • loverofwarsloverofwars Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i've noticed fireing manually/using keybinds to put it as number 1 in the abilitys tray that it seems to have a second or 2 cooldown between each shot few other things with it too if you fire from 9 distance using high yield to get the energy bolt and a target moves away from it in other direction it seems to run out of steam and stop when reaching 10k travel distance from point of fired i watched it a few times same result and it didnt come under any fire i watched its 4400 health then about 5 6 seconds after running out of rocket fule(lol:D) it vanishes. i tryed this with tholions and klingons in deep space encounters same thing sometimes it hit and didnt do any damage either nor any plasma fire that happened quite a few times against the birds of prey the power of the bolt is enough to destroy it one fireing of one beam is enough to destroy. the times it did hit it definatly vaporized the birds :)
  • dabeastiedabeastie Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    There's no limit on Autofire (I've had all eight beams on my cruiser firing at once), but I DO know that firing multiple torpedos very quickly - something the Omega and Romulan torpedos do naturally, and Photons + Projectile Doffs do as well - can mess with the launcher cooldowns.

Some player advice has been to take those particular torps off cooldown and simply fire them manually when you're in the arc. Can be a pain, but special torps require special treatment sometimes.

Tried firing it with the turrets disabled and it behaved exactly the same. I have seen it fire 5 consecutive shots but more often then not it seems to get confused and tries firing but actually doesn't. Very odd.
    the times it did hit it definatly vaporized the birds :)

Do love the atomizing effect; no more warp core breaches to dodge!
  • unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    dabeastie wrote: »
    Tried firing it with the turrets disabled and it behaved exactly the same. I have seen it fire 5 consecutive shots but more often then not it seems to get confused and tries firing but actually doesn't. Very odd.

Do love the atomizing effect; no more warp core breaches to dodge!

Who told you to disable the turrets? Like I said, there's no hard limit on how many weapons you can autofire, just that very fast-firing weapons, like using multiple launchers and purple projectile Doffs, or torps with specialized firing routines (like the Omega and Hyper Torpedoes) can go awry because they trigger global cooldowns that mess.

AFAIK, the Omega fires rapidly through a 5-shot magazine with very fast cooldown, then goes through a longer cooldown to "reload". The Rommie torpedo fires in 3-torp "bursts".

Given that these torpedoes are special, and the autofire is programmed to fire all selected weapons as soon as they cool down and have an in-arc target, the game simply cannot deal with the special torpedo "quirks".

And like I said, the common workaround is to take the TORPEDOES off autofire and shoot them manually, NOT the turrets.

Si
    edited January 2013
    Who told you to disable the turrets?

Nobody, I was investigating the issue for myself.

I'm leaving it on auto-fire mainly because I'm loathe to start abusing my spacebar. The torps are going out just slightly more spaced out, which may actually work out quite well.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    There used to be a limit to the number of concurrent cannons one could fire. This typically impacted turrets and DHCs, and led to some...annoying workarounds that folks had to do.

I believe said limit was removed back with the ground combat revamp, but I honestly don't remember if that's a 100% accurate timeframe. In any event, there is no such limit at present.
    edited January 2013
    I just noticed the Omega Plasma Torpedo tooltip reads "Consumed on Use". :P
  • gbehlpnu2012gbehlpnu2012 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Ah..NO. This is a programming issue they have never addressed.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    If not using auto-fire it seems to be a limit of 5 weapons at once. I can hit spacebar and only 5 will go at once.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • zachverantzachverant Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have not noticed a difference in weapons fire...However I do think we should have a limit on ship torpedo stock's...Maybe 200 total for photons and the bigger they are the less you get. Then we have to go to a Fed/KDF/Fleet SB and reload from a Quartermaster NPC...NOT buy any more, we alrdy own the launcher...just to reload.

I feel with the "unlimited" torpedo supply that we are in an old western where the 6 shooter NEVER runs out of bullets.

It would make for some interesting PvP/PvE/STF combat scenario's

The only exception that I see would be for the plasma torpedo.

my 2ec's worth
    "Sips her PWE Koolaide and looks at alllll the goodies in the Z store"
    Badname Betty (PvP...PvE...STF...Trophy Hunter...Latnium Collector...Federation)
    Commander Morgana (PvP...PvE...STF...KDF)
    1000 day vet and LTS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] STO Join date: 7 Feb 2010
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I constantly have to re-mash my space bar or ctrl+space bar to fire weapons because they won't fire despite having all weapons on auto-fire. 4-4 of them will usually go and then I have to hit it again to get the other 3-4 to fire as well. I'm constantly weaving about which means weapons going out of and into their firing arcs, and when they re-enter viable firing arcs they don't like to resume or they don't like to resume on the first space press but rather the second...

There's also some kind of insanely annoying UI lag that's tied to the FPS and latency. If you're in very intense combat and your FPS drops down into the single digits then about 60% of your tray clicks don't register. Period. I find myself being forced to use the keyboard commands for everything just to stay alive. A similar thing happens with latency when you fire off a power only to have it go into immediate 2-5 second "oh wait I wasn't ready yet" cooldown.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • br3akingforcebr3akingforce Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    zachverant wrote: »
    I have not noticed a difference in weapons fire...However I do think we should have a limit on ship torpedo stock's...Maybe 200 total for photons and the bigger they are the less you get. Then we have to go to a Fed/KDF/Fleet SB and reload from a Quartermaster NPC...NOT buy any more, we alrdy own the launcher...just to reload.

I feel with the "unlimited" torpedo supply that we are in an old western where the 6 shooter NEVER runs out of bullets.

It would make for some interesting PvP/PvE/STF combat scenario's

The only exception that I see would be for the plasma torpedo.

my 2ec's worth

or perhaps charge a few ec for each shot. i can imagine a special torpedo replicator hooked up to the tubes.