test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cyber Bullying at Drozana

macarthur1961macarthur1961 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
Edit: Every time a thread like this has been made,
It's resulted in closure due to the forum rules not being followed. I can see it heading down that path. If you have a concern, please report the player to a GM so they can investigate. Cyber bullying, harassment, etc. are not tolerated in STO. If you need more clarification on what this is, please read our TOS/EULA. Thanks! ~Brandon

Hello folks. Just wanted to touch on a very disturbing phenomenon I have experienced recently. Also to offer some advice.
There is a certain fleet perpetrating Cyber Bullying and offensive behavior at Drozana Stn it seems. Apparently they have been getting away with this in part by convincing people that they,"...own the developers".
Earlier tonite, a member of this fleet actually told me,"Go ahead...report it to the GM... we are the developers and the GM can't do anything about us anyway."
If you have been one of their victims, please report their behavior to the GM with the question mark icon on the edge of the cox in the top roght corner of your screen. I can omly assime that they have gotten away with this abherant behavior because folks are not reporting them as they should be. My friends whom used to spend a lot of time at Droazana had to be prodded by me to begin reporting these bullies. I hope more of their victims will do so in order that the GM and Debelopers are made aware of the extent of this thuggery.
So please help to make this game more enjoyable for all the good players: Report abuse/bullying when it happens so that the offenders can be dealt with.
Thank you for your time... a real life Grandfather, Poru.:cool:
Post edited by macarthur1961 on

Comments

• ascaladarascaladar Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would report them but not for cyberbullying but for impersonating Devs, that is something MMO companies are not very fond off.:cool:
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Indeed - and it's worth noting that the REAL dev's who play in-game have pink-text character names.

And never ever bully anyone.

Most certainly OP, report them.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • init0init0 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What exactly is "Cyber Bullying" in STO? What have they done? It's not like they can kill you, steal your stuff or in any other way influence your game play except via chat messages and in-game mail, right? So how exactly are they harming or harassing you?
  • ludikroludikro Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    init0 wrote: »
    What exactly is "Cyber Bullying" in STO? What have they done? It's not like they can kill you, steal your stuff or in any other way influence your game play except via chat messages and in-game mail, right? So how exactly are they harming or harassing you?

Its not cyber bullying at all. Basically what you have is a bunch of role players who think they own drozana and get their panties in a twist because people do things like spray fire extinguishers in a social zone. Of course the role players dish out the abuse, not to mention the things they were saying to some person in Drozana earlier who publicly stated he was TRIBBLE were utterly horrendous.

Basically if this apparent 'fleet that shall not be named' was actually breaking any rules, they would have been banned a long time ago. They obviously aren't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • romuzariiromuzarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I hope I'm not the only one who sees this here a mile away.
  • grimrak1grimrak1 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Earlier tonite, a member of this fleet actually told me,"Go ahead...report it to the GM... we are the developers and the GM can't do anything about us anyway."

Hmm. I was there when that discussion went down, and not one of That Fleet said anything about being devs. Either you're making things up, or you received some tells from people breaking the rules, in which case I hope you have the chatlogs saved.
    Fx3popQ.png
    But you know what? I guess it doesn't matter now does it? By being allowed to visit their studios Cryptic has pretty much signed off on you and your fleet haven't they? They've said in deed what most of us have suspected for years. They're not going to stop you. They're not going to correct you. You won. After long last, you really, really won. STO is yours and no one is going to do a thing about it. Congratulations.
  • gardatgardat Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    romuzarii wrote: »
    I hope I'm not the only one who sees this here a mile away.

This. Thread OP, without naming anyone or any fleets, could you please go into detail what this "cyber bullying" was?
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
  • init0init0 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ludikro wrote: »
    Its not cyber bullying at all. Basically what you have is a bunch of role players who think they own drozana and get their panties in a twist because people do things like spray fire extinguishers in a social zone. Of course the role players dish out the abuse, not to mention the things they were saying to some person in Drozana earlier who publicly stated he was TRIBBLE were utterly horrendous.

Basically if this apparent 'fleet that shall not be named' was actually breaking any rules, they would have been banned a long time ago. They obviously aren't.

Ok, that makes way more sense then.

I was genuinely interested in what exactly they've done because I wasn't aware that there was even a technical possibility in this game to negatively influence other players (except if you count things like AFKing in STF as an offence and such stuff but that's hardly applicable in a social zone).
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I was surprised to see biothermals and extinguishers still work on Drozana...I thought they had been deactivated ages ago
  • assimilation7assimilation7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    rpers are creepy in general, we're just lucky their contained to drozana.
    edited January 2013
    rpers are creepy in general, we're just lucky their contained to drozana.

To each their own, as my father says 'as long as they don't startle the sheep, its fine' :p
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ok, that makes way more sense then.

See what a mile away? I was genuinely interested in what exactly they've done because I wasn't aware that there was even a technical possibility in this game to negatively influence other players (except if you count things like AFKing in STF as an offence and such stuff but that's hardly applicable in a social zone).

Cyber bullying doesn't have to negatively impact their character in any way, they could be rude, insulting, threatening or just plain harassing them with PMs and mail.

For example if they are claiming to be devs or representatives of Cryptic/PWE and saying that they can get other people banned for reporting their behaviour then that would be threatening behaviour.

It's worth noting two things,
    1. Everything said ingame is recorded and is unlikely to be editable by anyone working for Cryptic/PWE.
    2. If these people are representatives of Cryptic/PWE and engaging in active Cyber Bullying, they'll be out of a job the moment it's looked into.
  • ludikroludikro Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    Cyber bullying doesn't have to negatively impact their character in any way, they could be rude, insulting, threatening or just plain harassing them with PMs and mail.

For example if they are claiming to be devs or representatives of Cryptic/PWE and saying that they can get other people banned for reporting their behaviour then that would be threatening behaviour.

It's worth noting two things,
    1. Everything said ingame is recorded and is unlikely to be editable by anyone working for Cryptic/PWE.
    2. If these people are representatives of Cryptic/PWE and engaging in active Cyber Bullying, they'll be out of a job the moment it's looked into.

Being rude isnt bullying. Of course these people can either grow a thicker skin or use the tools Cryptic has provided. People can easily put others on ignore and turn off things they can get spammed with. It's really not hard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    burstorion wrote: »
    To each their own, as my father says 'as long as they don't startle the sheep, its fine' :p

98% of the roleplaying population avoids Drozana like the plague. If folks are going to try to demonize a group, do it for something that entire group does, not for the actions of a couple of nutjobs.
  • scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ludikro wrote: »
    Being rude isnt bullying. Of course these people can either grow a thicker skin or use the tools Cryptic has provided. People can easily put others on ignore and turn off things they can get spammed with. It's really not hard.

Cyber bullying can take many forms. However, there are six forms that are the most common.*

Harassment: Repeatedly sending offensive, rude, and insulting messages

Source: http://www.violencepreventionworks.org/public/cyber_bullying.page

Harassment is when someone persistently troubles or attacks another. Online, this is called cyberbullying and is commonly seen in text comments, messages and videos.

Source: http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=126266

Being rude once may not be bullying, but repeatedly doing it is. Also, sure, they can put others on ignore and stuff. However, this does not mean that they shouldn't report people who are often rude for a single purpose.

Also, ignoring works for the chat function, but it doesn't work for visual harassment. Sure, they can shift to other instances, but this only treats the symptom, not the root of the problem.

Therefore, in my opinion, the OP is perfectly justified in reporting them, but it is up to Cryptic to decide if this behaviour merits any action.
    edited January 2013
    98% of the roleplaying population avoids Drozana like the plague. If folks are going to try to demonize a group, do it for something that entire group does, not for the actions of a couple of nutjobs.

I was just trying to be funny, meaning no offence. Regarding rp, I rp in a cyberpunk chatroom regulary and I find its the erpers (or more accurately rpers who go beyond 'fade to black') that bring rp as a whole down (at least the ones who 'go public') ..the way I see it, keep it to pm when it gets heated and do what you like..just apologise if you mess up and mispost it in public, local or zone :p

Edit: Every time a thread like this has been made,
    It's resulted in closure due to the forum rules not being followed. I can see it heading down that path. If you have a concern, please report the player to a GM so they can investigate. Cyber bullying, harassment, etc. are not tolerated in STO. If you need more clarification on what this is, please read our TOS/EULA. Thanks! ~Brandon
This discussion has been closed.