test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

NPCs and BOFFs falling throught he ground

azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
First time I got a chance to use the Foundry since Season 7 went live.

NPCs and BOFFs are falling throught he ground. Even after increasing the value on the Z-axis.

If there is a workaround, would appricate some tips.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• iggymiggym Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I also noticed this in a mission I'm building. I'm wondering if it'll do that on Holodeck too? When I publish and test, I'll update you all.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    see: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=458791&page=5

Short version: preview mode is bugged.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Really think this is part of the Preview Bug? While this was foundry-releated and BOFFs warping disappearing, I encountered something similar with the Romulan Werehouse mission. BOFFS disappeared and Warped.

So hopefully they will soon find the error. Really would suck if players got 1 stared because of it.
    edited January 2013
    Oh, was this in a non-preview test play? I dunno then.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited January 2013
    This was in test play.

No matter what I do in trying to fix things, nothing is working. Changing the Y values isn't helping, and changing the Zero Alitude doesn't help, weither if it's Zero, Room Floor, or Legacy Room Floor.

But I noticed that in normal pre-made zones, they aren't warping or falling through the ground. So apparently the Foundry is not accepting the customized Foundations as valid floors.
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, Zero mentioned that it's related to how pathing is calculated. IE pathing data doesn't exist in preview mode so Boffs and enemies don't know how to move around things. It's NOT the floor...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • skydawnknightskydawnknight Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, Zero mentioned that it's related to how pathing is calculated. IE pathing data doesn't exist in preview mode so Boffs and enemies don't know how to move around things. It's NOT the floor...

I can verify this as well. Every map I've tested, especially ones where there are narrow paths/obstacles, the Away Team and pathing mobs vanish in preview mode. All of it works just fine, though, when playing the mission in live.

I have to say I sure would rather test it out properly before publishing and then fixing all the pathing bugs, etc.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have the same issue in preview mode. Everything is fine when it's published though, even if the game doesn't really like the deadly combo custom indoor map + patrols. Some groups will ignore a point, even when it's published.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited January 2013

Yeah, someone else told me that glitch is only in Preview mode and after publishing it's fine.

But I don't think it has to do with pathing per se. Because I noticed that in premade maps, the NPCs act normal. But with "custom maps", thats when they bug. For instance, with one map, I use the Cirini interior and they fall through the foundation block (that is the new floor), and stop falling on the real map floor.

Too bad we don't have access to basic NPC pathing, like we have with patrol routes.

Well, I'm going to do my best to tolerate this bug and hope it's fixed before I publish or I publish without problems.
  • ghqcommandghqcommand Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I thought it was just the map I was using on my latest.

It is making it hard to test using preview. I seriously think Cryptic should consider allowing us to put our missions into a published but private state, maybe password protected or only people on our friends list can access.

That would allow testing by users who won't give negative rating on a beta mission and get around any differences there may be in future between a published mission live and one still being created on Foundry.

I know this would also create more work for the server so some thought could be put into applying an hourly limit per mission and prevent authors re-publishing every 15 minutes just to test a new small change.

What you think folks?

Publish but private?

Controlled by friends list to limit the number of players that can locate the mission.
    edited January 2013
    I know, it's making the process incredibly difficult. Right now, I have security teams disappearing and warping, which cannot progress the story. And can't work around it, because they are part of the story.

But you got an interesting idea of having the option to put the mission in a Beta location, where only select public could have access to. So it would be published and can be previewed in private to work out post-publishing bugs.
This discussion has been closed.