test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Fed wide angle Quantum and the need for a KDF Hargh'peng

rononmarononma Member Posts: 19 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Klingon Discussion
So, the Fed's have had a wide angle quantum just for them for awhile now. I want a Hargh'peng that's wide angle and upgrade-able with high yield and spread :D
~Sent via Carrier Pigeon~
Post edited by rononma on

Comments

• verulerveruler Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    LOL, awesome.
  • rononmarononma Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Um...why? the fed torp's a crutch to make up for the general lack of manuever in their top tier capital ships. WE have (aside from the Craptastic Bortasque bundle and the Vo'quv) a fine selection of ships that can actually bring cannons (and torps) to bear-even in PvP.

we don't need to lower our standards to match the Federation's inability to build a decent Battlecruiser. (aka the Bortasque lesson).

we don't need a crutch.

Ok, I can see that. How about a Hargh'peng that's upgrade-able then? :D
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    rononma wrote: »
    Ok, I can see that. How about a Hargh'peng that's upgrade-able then? :D

Get the torp at level 50. You will get a mk XI torp.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
    edited December 2012
    Get the torp at level 50. You will get a mk XI torp.

Thanks!
    I meant with high yield and spread though ;)
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Perhaps they could at least add getting a MK XII from the Doff missions if one crits on it.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    I pretty sure I got one ... same stats as the Mk XI one, might be rarity with a Mk XI Blue vs a Mk.XI Purple but still the exact same stats.

As it said, its a Gimmick weapon.

I highlighted a bit there.

What's it mean?
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    thissler wrote: »
    I highlighted a bit there.

What's it mean?

They have an interesting trick to their mechanics. The Omega Torpedo has the ammo mechanic so you can fire a bunch rapidly and then wait for the ammo to recharge. There is also the ability to make ships derezz if hit by the High Yield version. The Romulan Torpedoes launch 3 torpedoes within about a second or two and they are all targetable torpedoes.
    edited December 2012
    Gotcah ty for the replies!
  • momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    The fact its unaffected by abilities might be a attempt to balance to the fact its a very capable weapon, its also cannot be OP to the point nobody would use something else and it would be OP if we could put Spread and HY on it.

To my mind it's plenty balanced by the low rate of fire and low stopping power (the initial torpedo hit is about what a single photon can do). There's plenty of wiggle room to improve it without making it overpowered. Right now it's almost never used.

Though, I do think it should only get a High Yield capability and not Spread. It just doesn't have a "spray and pray" feel to it.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Don't we already have the Bio Nueral missile?
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
    edited December 2012
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Don't we already have the Bio Nueral missile?

And if it had the same 15 second cooldown as Hargh'peng I'd use it. Heck even 30 seconds might make it worthwhile. At one minute, it's an incredibly expensive weapon to carry which is a problem considering it's slow, can be shot down, has a minimum launch range, and deals purely kinetic damage so it's completely negated if it hits a shield. The sustained DPS is too low to justify a frontal mounting, and a turret on the back will contribute over the whole course of your mission instead of being highly situational like a rear-mounted Bioneural.

Bioneural is a fancy tricobalt torpedo, and tricobalt torpedoes suck. I'm sure the minority of PVP players love the things, but PVP players can and should be disregarded when it comes to designing mechanics for the majority of players.
    edited December 2012
    momaw wrote: »
    And if it had the same 15 second cooldown as Hargh'peng I'd use it. Heck even 30 seconds might make it worthwhile. At one minute, it's an incredibly expensive weapon to carry which is a problem considering it's slow, can be shot down, has a minimum launch range, and deals purely kinetic damage so it's completely negated if it hits a shield. The sustained DPS is too low to justify a frontal mounting, and a turret on the back will contribute over the whole course of your mission instead of being highly situational like a rear-mounted Bioneural.

Bioneural is a fancy tricobalt torpedo, and tricobalt torpedoes suck. I'm sure the minority of PVP players love the things, but PVP players can and should be disregarded when it comes to designing mechanics for the majority of players.

Bitter much? C'mon now, following your um...I dunno....I bet you call it "reasoning" or maybe something cute like "my wittle choo choo twain of ideas" wouldn't your keyboard be made of nerf? So as not to ruin your complexion? Just thinking this could be something on the hardware side to make online experiences better for folks at your level.

Put it in your sig. Maybe you can start some sort of grassroots campaign to make things better for your kind.
  • corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    :D I like this thread!

OK, I have the wide angle torp but must confess that the Regent it is equipped on is underwhelming in comparison to even the Mirror Star Cruiser. However, equipping this lovely torp to my Breen ship (in the rear of course, think of it as my bumper sticker: If you can read this your driving to fekking close!!!) and I have to say the quantum torps in general will take out the best of ships once their shields are fried.

Anyways, just my two cents. ;)
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    To be honest, we don't need Fed stuff and they don't deserve ours. If we ask for this Wide Angle Torpedo Launcher we are no better than those Feds who constantly demand a transfer of KDF specific equipment and abilities.
  • tetonicatetonica Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    eisenw0lf wrote: »
    To be honest, we don't need Fed stuff and they don't deserve ours. If we ask for this Wide Angle Torpedo Launcher we are no better than those Feds who constantly demand a transfer of KDF specific equipment and abilities.

That's pretty much my ideas on these subjects as well :)
    Lynis, Orion Engineer, main
    Rrezeth, Gorn Tactical, primary alt
    Nari, Orion Science, secondary alt
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I actually use the Hargh'peng on my torpedo B'rel as it is fun just to see the dot radiation damage being applied to a unsuspecting fedand use hazard emitters only to be blown up by the following torpedo salvage
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    You can not use any kind of firing HY or Spread with the Hargh'peng torp.Klinks get it as doff assignment later on or you can make one up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
    edited December 2012
    thissler wrote: »
    Bitter much? C'mon now, following your um...I dunno....I bet you call it "reasoning" or maybe something cute like "my wittle choo choo twain of ideas" wouldn't your keyboard be made of nerf? So as not to ruin your complexion? Just thinking this could be something on the hardware side to make online experiences better for folks at your level.

Put it in your sig. Maybe you can start some sort of grassroots campaign to make things better for your kind.

I cant see where you actually made an argument to reply to. My best guess is that you think it's silly to design game mechanics to suit the game's largest audience share instead of the smallest? Let me know if you want to have a conversation instead of ...whatever that was.
  • cliftona91cliftona91 Member Posts: 254
    edited January 2013
    I cant see where you actually made an argument to reply to. My best guess is that you think it's silly to design game mechanics to suit the game's largest audience share instead of the smallest? Let me know if you want to have a conversation instead of ...whatever that was.

And I can't see why you are saying to disregard a part of the game audience when it comes to feedback and opinions
    edited January 2013
    cliftona91 wrote: »
    And I can't see why you are saying to disregard a part of the game audience when it comes to feedback and opinions

Because it makes business sense. You do the least amount of work to please the greatest number of people. In other words, what's going to give the largest return on investment. Why hasn't the KDF faction been fully developed in the almost 3 years since the game launched? Because not enough people are playing KDF to justify spending the money. This extends to the entire game. You can design a game to be PVE or PVP, not really both at the same time. Games designed from the ground up to be PVP have clunky PVE experience, and vice versa. The game has already made the choice to be PVE, with a multitude of missions that can be run solo or with a team against the AI plus purely personal systems like doffing and reputation. And most players do not do PVP because of this focus on everything else. It makes the most business sense to concentrate on improving and streamlining that experience in preference to PVP.

Thus my comments about tricobalt torpedoes being pretty much TRIBBLE in PVE even while some PVP players use them and why this is wrong. An option is being balanced for a minority of players instead of a majority. There was another discussion about how overpowered and stupid Subnucleonic Beam is because it has no preventative counters... Which is an even better example of PVP and PVE running at cross purposes. At least tricobalt torpedoes do explode on target and get the job done in a clumsy and inefficient way. But in PVE, subnuke beam is next to useless and by far the weakest ability Science captains have. PVP and PVE play completely differently due to the different behaviors of your opponent and the nature of encounters, and trying to shoehorn both types of gameplay into the same set of numbers just frustrates people.

If you want really nice PVP, the two systems need to be separated. PVP ships and abilities need to be in their own pocket of reality that exist purely to make PVP ships and abilities competitive and fair in the context of PVP. The problem is, doing PVP off within its own bubble where it can be done properly is a huge cost. So it hasn't been done.
  • cliftona91cliftona91 Member Posts: 254
    edited January 2013
    Because it makes business sense. You do the least amount of work to please the greatest number of people. In other words, what's going to give the largest return on investment. Why hasn't the KDF faction been fully developed in the almost 3 years since the game launched? Because not enough people are playing KDF to justify spending the money. This extends to the entire game. You can design a game to be PVE or PVP, not really both at the same time. Games designed from the ground up to be PVP have clunky PVE experience, and vice versa. The game has already made the choice to be PVE, with a multitude of missions that can be run solo or with a team against the AI plus purely personal systems like doffing and reputation. And most players do not do PVP because of this focus on everything else. It makes the most business sense to concentrate on improving and streamlining that experience in preference to PVP.

Thus my comments about tricobalt torpedoes being pretty much TRIBBLE in PVE even while some PVP players use them and why this is wrong. An option is being balanced for a minority of players instead of a majority. There was another discussion about how overpowered and stupid Subnucleonic Beam is because it has no preventative counters... Which is an even better example of PVP and PVE running at cross purposes. At least tricobalt torpedoes do explode on target and get the job done in a clumsy and inefficient way. But in PVE, subnuke beam is next to useless and by far the weakest ability Science captains have. PVP and PVE play completely differently due to the different behaviors of your opponent and the nature of encounters, and trying to shoehorn both types of gameplay into the same set of numbers just frustrates people.

If you want really nice PVP, the two systems need to be separated. PVP ships and abilities need to be in their own pocket of reality that exist purely to make PVP ships and abilities competitive and fair in the context of PVP. The problem is, doing PVP off within its own bubble where it can be done properly is a huge cost. So it hasn't been done.
    Now can you put all of that in a few sentences or less?
    edited January 2013
    cliftona91 wrote: »
    Now can you put all of that in a few sentences or less?

Probably. But people who care what it says will read the post and people who don't care won't start caring no matter how short it is. :D
  • bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited January 2013

The above is fallacy.

Why aren't enough people playing KDF? Because Cryptic scrapped the KDF faction and relegated it to monster play after two years of Jack Emmert-esque statements reiterating the game as a full two faction experience. People aren't playing KDF after they left in disgust since Cryptic wouldn't spend the money necessary for pre-launch development.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
    edited January 2013
    ?wow. I didn't expect the thread to turn into this, I just want a peng that can be modified LOL!!! I don't think it would be OP with the CD it has now and lack of acc. I remember when the peng first came out (for the Feds only) and how ridiculous it was. Then they nerfed it too hard and gave it to the KDF.
    HY with multiple torps, one rad/secondary explosion. Spread with multiple torps, one rad/secondary explosion per target. The same dmg modification that happens for the other torps and keep the long CD that prevents one ship from running too many pengs.