test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Make lock boxes worth getting.Devs please read.

chaz200565chaz200565 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Most of the time sadly,the prizes in these lock boxes are total rubbish and are worthless.
How about guaranteeing spectacular prizes in every one that is unlocked and opened.

1.A captain picard tommy gun,that the borg can not adapt to.(startrek first contact)
2.Samurai sword, so sharp that it can kill a borg in one go.Mecleth for klingons.
3.A D'deridex romulan warbird/breen warship/ferengi d'cora ship/cardassian galor/dominion ship.
4.A substantial amount of Omega marks.
5.A substantial amount of Romulan marks.
6.A substantial amount of refined dilithium.
I do understand that cryptic/pw have to make their money,and i believe that if the lock box prizes are just these what has been written,and nothing else,then they will be worth buying.(lock box keys)
Post edited by chaz200565 on

Comments

• chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Or they could put that stuff in the c store because I have and will never put any money into lockboxes
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Any melee weapon should one hit borg (any borg)

in canon no borg is capable of adapting to blades
    Live long and Prosper
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    Any melee weapon should one hit borg (any borg)

in canon no borg is capable of adapting to blades

you can one-hit a man with a blade? i would need at least several attempts, and with the man being armored and everything..

Try this at home in your own kitchen - buy a bigger piece of meat and cut :D

to the OP - the lockboxes are fine, although, there is always room for improvements :)

- there will never be a D'Deridex or any other Romulan ship in the lockbox
    - all other ships you have listed are already in there
    - Romulan/Omega marks are to be earned by gameplay. Dill too.
    - the Picard gun is a nice idea, but it should not do much dmg dps wise, cause of balance (you'll get instant adapt with KDH, MACO, OMEGA ground set)

if lockboxes are NOT worth it in your opinion, do not buy them. It is a lottery.
    When i open a box, i go for DOFFpacks and LOBI's. Anything else ill get is a nice bonus.
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    tl:dr

No

another one of these "i have money and am willing to pay for what i want"-threads.

your Tommi Gun would only end up in the LobiStore for 800 Lobi, and consumable magazines for it would be 20 Lobi.
    your Sammurai Sword... (really?) ...too, but more likely priced like the tholian sword

[don't you think if you slice a Borg with a Samurai Sword, you would have Borg Blood on your sword, including Nanites, that would eat up/assimilate your shiny sword?]

also you make it sound like you want i-win weapons vs. Borg, thats not going to happen either, they would be just as *balanced* as everything else.

#3 all Ships? yah sure, then what do they sell next month and the month after that?
    / *i want it all, i want it all, i want it now*

#4/5/6 currencies that get you ahead in the rep/fleet systems ?
    in small amounts maybe, but imho that goes too far in the Pay 2 Win direction, how about you play some more and get that stuff for FREE? If you don't enjoy playing then why are you here and want to waste your money? /rhetorical question don't answer that

i think the stuff you wanted sounded cooler in your head before you wrote it, how about now?

I don't mind a Holographic Tommi Gun for a Holodeck Featured Episode or Foundry Mission purposes... but thats another topic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • init0init0 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The idea of lock boxes is not to provide the players with rewards (why would they be "locked" if that were the case?). The idea is to milk people for as much money as possible. This only works if you continue to "motivate" (lol) people to buy ever more keys for the slim chance of getting something that isn't utter ****.

Your suggestion would destroy that business model - people would simply buy a few keys, get what they want (unless they're very unlucky) and then stop wasting money on further keys. That would be great for the players but a total nightmare for Cryptic.
  • januhulljanuhull Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I think there's a bylaw in the MMO Player's Handbook that states, "Putting the phrase 'Devs please read' in any form automatically ensures that no member of any development team will acknowledge its existance" or some such...
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The lockboxes are money makers for cryptic, I open maybe one box a month max. For those looking to get more it would be nice if the keys were a little cheaper or each junk box contained 10 lobi minimum to keep more people interested. Don't get me wrong a few new uniquely rare items never hurt!!!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Let's just put this simply - the lockboxes/CStore have to balance out being better than the stuff you can get for free without being so much better that the people who use those free things feel like they can't compete (lest they all QQ, and don't stick around to provide cheap labor for the Dil Exchange). Most of the things you want there are far too powerful for that formula.
  • phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    chaz200565 wrote: »
    Most of the time sadly,the prizes in these lock boxes are total rubbish and are worthless.
    How about guaranteeing spectacular prizes in every one that is unlocked and opened.

1.A captain picard tommy gun,that the borg can not adapt to.(startrek first contact)
    2.Samurai sword, so sharp that it can kill a borg in one go.Mecleth for klingons.
    3.A D'deridex romulan warbird/breen warship/ferengi d'cora ship/cardassian galor/dominion ship.
    4.A substantial amount of Omega marks.
    5.A substantial amount of Romulan marks.
    6.A substantial amount of refined dilithium.
    I do understand that cryptic/pw have to make their money,and i believe that if the lock box prizes are just these what has been written,and nothing else,then they will be worth buying.(lock box keys)

A lot of problems here...first off, if you're guaranteeing an awesome prize they're going to guarantee a lofty cost. Say goodbye to $1.25 master keys and more like $10-20.

The first and second options are the only ones that have any chance of happening, given the current price structure. Though it seems more appropriate for the Lobi store.

DStahl has already said no D'deridex Warbirds in Lock Boxes. It's as dead as a T5 Connie, so we can stop beating that dead horse.

The problems with 4-6 are all the same: they can be used to get zen, and zen is what buys the keys in the first place. For example: People seem surprised when I tell them about Fleet Mark Boosts that cost 15,000 fleet credits and let you earn up to 100 fleet marks (which can then regain 5,000 fleet credits) that you're taking a loss of 10,000 fleet credits -- you have to be getting less than you put in or else you'd have an endless loop of credits.

I think Perfect World is very satisfied with the current lock box program and I freely admit they've made great strides over the past year with it. If you're still not satisfied I think some different ideas will be required because Cryptic is not going to do #3-6.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)