test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New player impression: The Vault

keysmachinekeysmachine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
So i just did the vault in STO. i was level 38 when i did it. I like to do all the dailies before i start on a main story line quest which is probably why i was way over leveled for this mission.

but that's not the point.

the point is this mission was the business! when i got close to the vault from the outside in my little type 8 shuttle i was like WOW this this is magnitudes larger than my shuttle. then I was able to fly around INSIDE the vault. gave me an independence day feeling when Will smith and Jeff Goldblum went inside the mother ship to destroy it.

we need more missions like this! so cool.

that is all.
Post edited by keysmachine on

Comments

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The Vault.
    Operation Gamma.

If the game did not have shuttles... I wouldn't mind at all. Actually, I'd probably do a little happy dance.

My own personal dislike aside, though - it's great that you found something you really liked in the game. We can't all like the same things, some of us will hate things others love - but as long as there's something for everybody... Cryptic's at least doing something right.
  • Options
    rdm1958rdm1958 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    the vault is a great mission. before season 7 you ran it to get datalogs to upgrade the reman set. i probably ran the vault over 100 times to get the full upgrade.

it was very frustrating because so many players did not take the time to learn to do it right. at that time, it was on a timer and you had to do it fast. i have not played the vault in awhile so i don't know if it is still timed or not.

also before season 7 some players knew how to sneak a large ship in and a lot of people thought that helped, but it did not. i saw that mission fail just as much with large ships as i did when it was all shuttles.

my preference was a peregrine fighter with AP DHCs and a beam.
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    "The Jeff Goldblum Feeling".
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    rdm1958 wrote: »
    some players knew how to sneak a large ship in

Along those lines, it's kind of funny (silly) that while a Sci in a small craft can only summon photonic small craft - anybody that pops their fleet support will summon a full size vessel. Nothing like summoning a battleship inside the Vault...
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Before the datalog nerf doing it in shuttles took good teamwork and decent shuttles, but slowly Cryptic has eroded the fun out of the event- they took out big ships (understandable), made it a 45 minute event (only junk awarded after event expires instead of previously awarding datalogs if run STARTED before event expiration), THEN took out datalogs as a prize.

It's just not worth running anymore unless you just want to be punished.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Before the datalog nerf doing it in shuttles took good teamwork and decent shuttles, but slowly Cryptic has eroded the fun out of the event- they took out big ships (understandable), made it a 45 minute event (only junk awarded after event expires instead of previously awarding datalogs if run STARTED before event expiration), THEN took out datalogs as a prize.

i wasn't around when the whole datalog thing was priority.

however as a stand alone story mission this was a lot of fun. and a good amount of detail went into it especially with the borg sphere sitting in one of the rooms.

i only died once in my type 8 shuttle with all the default fittings. i was able to destroy every single fighter that attacked me with some effort. but not overly so.

unfortunately your complaint is one that is jaded because you forgotten the fun factor and look at this mission as "they nerfed our datalogs and they took away the good prizes when you beat it in time"

why can't it just be a cool mission that gives you nothing but the enjoyment of actually playing it?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    i wasn't around when the whole datalog thing was priority.

however as a stand alone story mission this was a lot of fun. and a good amount of detail went into it especially with the borg sphere sitting in one of the rooms.

i only died once in my type 8 shuttle with all the default fittings. i was able to destroy every single fighter that attacked me with some effort. but not overly so.

unfortunately your complaint is one that is jaded because you forgotten the fun factor and look at this mission as "they nerfed our datalogs and they took away the good prizes when you beat it in time"

why can't it just be a cool mission that gives you nothing but the enjoyment of actually playing it?

It used to be fun, until they stealthily made it more difficult, then add in LOTS of new players without a plan to win in junk shuttles. It has become a PvE torture chamber without adequate reward for for completion.

The storyline vault mission is still fun, tho predictable.

It would be awesome as a PvP map IMHO.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Personally, I hate The Vault so much I named all my shuttles "I Hate the Vault".
  • Options
    beerstickmanbeerstickman Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    So i just did the vault in STO. i was level 38 when i did it. I like to do all the dailies before i start on a main story line quest which is probably why i was way over leveled for this mission.

but that's not the point.

the point is this mission was the business! when i got close to the vault from the outside in my little type 8 shuttle i was like WOW this this is magnitudes larger than my shuttle. then I was able to fly around INSIDE the vault. gave me an independence day feeling when Will smith and Jeff Goldblum went inside the mother ship to destroy it.

we need more missions like this! so cool.

that is all.

There are more missions like this. They can be found in the foundry. If you were impressed by the vault, try "Trojan Horse" by kirkfat. I really enjoyed that mission, and i thought it was even better than the vault.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It seems like lots of the hate is directed at the queued event whereas the OP is talking about the single-player story mission.

Which I agree is very fun, and I do enjoy the little surprises hidden away in it. For example, have you talked to the romulan shuttle in the first room?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    It seems like lots of the hate is directed at the queued event whereas the OP is talking about the single-player story mission.

Which I agree is very fun, and I do enjoy the little surprises hidden away in it. For example, have you talked to the romulan shuttle in the first room?

oh yes. i make a point when to take in all the stuff they put in missions. although not much.

it seems at least in my opinion that the later the missions the writing is getting better and the overall atmosphere of some of the areas is getting better to.

its like i'm seeing an evolution of the level design as i advance through the story missions.
  • Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Nothing like summoning a battleship inside the Vault...

Nothing like flying a Vo'quv inside the Vault. Very cramped.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited December 2012

The OP was talking about the "Romulan Mystery - The Vault" episode, NOT the Vault Shuttle Event in the PVE queue. Those are entirely separate things. Only the shuttle event in the PVE queue awarded datalogs during the 1 hour event, NOT the episode.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    The OP was talking about the "Romulan Mystery - The Vault" episode, NOT the Vault Shuttle Event in the PVE queue. Those are entirely separate things. Only the shuttle event in the PVE queue awarded datalogs during the 1 hour event, NOT the episode.

Ya, Ya, I get that now. The set is wonderful but nobody ever mentions the EP version of the vault because it's so boring (waves of fighters while avoiding forcefields). EVERYONE knows the vault event, and most hate it.

I'm wasn't trolling, only misread the OP.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Ya, Ya, I get that now. The set is wonderful but nobody ever mentions the EP version of the vault because it's so boring (waves of fighters while avoiding forcefields). EVERYONE knows the vault event, and most hate it.

I'm wasn't trolling, only misread the OP.

Never said you were trolling. But I agree, the vault shuttle event sucks. I almost never get past the second room. Too damn many enemies while trying to remodulate the 4 cores. Often times we'll have all enemies defeated and all the cores remodulated with a few seconds to spare, but if someone is still in red alert, or a scorpion fighter is still cloaked so we can't finish it off, the doors won't open and time will run out, thus failing the event. Can't stand it. I won't do it ever again.
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Just to be clear, I HATE THE VAULT - and I'm not sure which version I hate the most.
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    +1 on Hating the Vault Shuttle Event. I really respect the tenacity of he people who managed to grind the purple Mk XII set - given 2 out of three times I ran the thing the group could not summon enough damage to get past the second room, I can only imagine the level of frustration it took to run it that man times. I always figured they were running it in private groups that knew what they were doing.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It's a very lovely map. One of the best visuals in the game. I only think the DS9 hull walk is more of a blast to look at.
    <3