test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Things that still bug me about sto

chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
1) we aren't "captains". I am stuck at lte general. Feds are stuck at va. There won't be an advancement for a while and there hasn't been on for a while. Staying a captain would have made sense

2) fed/kdf "war". Worst war I have ever seen

3) carriers. At first the Feds were not suppose to get carriers. Now they do. That is fair because the kdf get them.
But why couldn't a galaxy class launch a shuttle like it does in the shows?
Sure carrier had the ability to launch frigates, but everyone should have had the ability to launch small craft.

4) the kdf "lolfaction"

5) Feds flying every other governments ship except their own. Can you imagine The us allowing their armed forces to ride TRIBBLE tanks/airplanes?
Should I start posting again after all this time?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I find the Federation/Klingon Empire War to be like the USA/USSR war. There are minor skirmishes, but nothing that would be classified as anything, but a cold war.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    chalpen wrote: »
    1)

5) Feds flying every other governments ship except their own.

Just pretend they are on an extended undercover mission...also don't worry about what others fly, just worry about your own crew.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • ussboleynussboleyn Member Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The whole rank tied to level has always bugged me.

In the tutorial we should of been a commander/first officer, after that promoted to captain and stayed that rank... Captain 1 to 50

/\
  • tiekosoratiekosora Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    1. Big gripe since before launch. A fix, asked for many times, would allow you to set your title to Captain, and all NPCs would address you by your title rank.

2. I would hope that in the future, we will be able to end the war and turn our combined attention to a larger threat. Perhaps a full-fledged faction to play aggressor.

3. I agree to an extent. Possible means to allow this would like the Scorpion fighter device from The Vault. Feds could get a choice of device, Danube, Peregrine, or Delta. KDF could get Toron, or any of the fighters/shuttles available to them. Device would work only if equipped in a device slot, and would launch 1-3 shuttles or fighters. Could be bought with dilithium, but not c-store or marks.

4. We have been promised love since before launch, and gotten little. Would be nice to finally get some dev attention to flesh us out as a true full faction.

5. To an extent you are correct. In wartime, we have used on occasion, enemy materiel for covert operations, particularly espionage agents. This was all on a limited scale and for a limited time, of course. Bug ships, Cardassian ships, Breen ships, Mirror ships - all things the Federation would not use unless it was dire need, to supplement the fleet. I can accept legitimate use of Vulcan and Caitian ships. For the KDF, using ships from other races, especially to confuse the enemy on the battlefield, would be widely accepted I believe.
    18EOWbV.jpg

They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Entering a new sector and finding your ship point the wrong way.

In terms of the war, i view it as a passage of time. players at level 1 are in 2409 for example. The war is raging, lots of battles going on showcased by the patrols, fleet actions and episodes.

characters at level 50 are in 2410 where the real instigators of the war, the undine and to an extent the iconians have been revealed, the situation with the romulans has changed, the threat of the borg has kicked into overdrive with the sector wide attacks and defera and i imagine peace talks have broken out, to the point where its now an uneasy truce, with certain rogue elements of the kdf still wanting to continue the war.

i know within an mmo its hard to see that kind of passage, and certain events like fleet actions blur the lines but for me the fed/kdf war is pretty much over. much like in season 4 and 5 of ds9. they had a brtief war, but the dominion exposure and the threat from cardassia forced them back together.
  • whaller138whaller138 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The thing that bugs me the most is that at VA I'm still given TRIBBLE work by everyone. "I know you're a Vice Admiral sir and I'm just a lowly ensign but can you go do some radiation reports for me?" No! You go do it! I mean I understand why but some of the stuff that I'm given to do could easily be taken care of by one of my crew.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    To be a captain is all some of us ever wanted (and this "congratulations Admiral now go and make the tea" bit is just annoying)

I can and do launch a shuttle (in sector space)

As to the war I think its time to scrap omega farce and have a REAL enemy (not the naff borg)
    Live long and Prosper
  • elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    chalpen wrote: »

5) Feds flying every other governments ship except their own. Can you imagine The us allowing their armed forces to ride TRIBBLE tanks/airplanes?

there have been times in history where naval vessels have been commandeered after the victory/loss of a battle, i vaugly remember a few russian/japanese ships being commandeered by either side during the ruso-japanese war but then again i would have to check that :D

edit:
    there is even a DS9 episode were sisko and others pinch a jemhadar ship :p
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
    edited December 2012
    I assume most "oddity" ships are renegades

Id actually like to see a massive penalty for using a non faction ship

Say a 20% reduction in Damage/accuracy as your poor crew struggles to work controls in an alien language

mind you I would also impose a penalty for anyone using non faction WEAPONS as well
    Live long and Prosper
  • lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited December 2012
    You have to realize, from a story point of view there are no bazillion other admirals in strange ships flying around and polishing the boots of ensigns.
    Story wise, it is YOU and your ship alone.
    edited December 2012
    which makes it WORSE

But anyway who ever wanted to be Admiral?
    thats for retired old men
    Live long and Prosper
  • captiandata1captiandata1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    the objectives of the omega force should be expended to any thread that want ti hurt starfleet and kdf. as fare as the star fleet kdf war is mostly over but for a few bush fires mini battles kdf fighting section 31.

dilithium is the main useful currency but dilithiumis not given out with every mission in star trek online.
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    which makes it WORSE

But anyway who ever wanted to be Admiral?
    thats for retired old men

Often don't agree with you, but you're right here. People play Star Trek to captain a ship. It still really baffles me that Cryptic don't acknowledge this, and I honestly can't understand why.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    No offense, but "meh".

1) The vocal community would complain they couldn't get to a higher rank if "Captain" were the highest (even if level was 50).

2) What would make it "better"?

3) Everyone can via "Boarding Party" BOff ability. Or do you mean in a non-combat capacity, because you can do that too (since I asked about it in another thread :) ) Did the Feds get a carrier because the vocal community complained it was not an option before?

4) Star Trek has always been from the Federation point-of-view. Here, Cryptic should get a waging finger from us because they could/should have made the KDF more than they are now. But even Cryptic's City of Heroes didn't start with "villain"-centric content for *years*.

5) Can you imagine the vocal communitiy's complaints if Cryptic forced the players to use faction-only ships?! In fact, since when did the Feds use Disruptors? If anyone thinks Fed players should not use non-Fed ships, then they should accept Feds not using non-phasers-as-weapons as well. Historically speaking, Wermacht soldiers dropped their MP40s to use the Russian PPSH during Stalingrad. It has happened, it can happen.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    6) mirror universe. Works well as individual missions but it doesn't make sence to have them flying all over the place (and getting their ships flown by the Feds).
    If a mirror ship flew into this dimension they would look around and say "f these guys. They have enough problems".
    7) Borg red alerts. 4 times a day + the Borg invade Sirius. You fan fly through the sectors and see Borg ships. IMHO that makes the omega fleet a failure. They are fighting the Borg on the other side of the universe yet the Borg are on their doorsteps.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes, admirals doing anything but desk work is silly, but remember - this is Star Trek. The show (and movie series) that had the command crew (all the way up to Admiral Kirk in some films) beaming down to actually do stuff (and get in danger) instead of having them sit on the bridge and tell their crew to do it, like a real command staff would. :P

edit: furthermore..... It's A Game. (Not only that, it's an MMO, where - unlike a single player game - you can't really have things advance. Stuff has to be kept respawning for the million other players to do. So the fact that Borg still pop up doesn't mean that Omega isn't working. It means that you're playing an MMO. The genre of game where That Huge Dragon Terrorizing The World can be killed and have it's head displayed on a pike in the middle of the city, every hour on the hour. And if that "ruins your immersion" or breaks your RP? Well, that's not going to be fixed. Wrong game. /shrug)
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    There are bar graphs in the game for buying and selling things.

Why would anybody buy or sell "0" something?

Should default to "1"
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I consider that mostly superficial. I got real problems to deal with :D

The text windows I don't read anyway can call me whatever name they want, it's just letters on a screen. They could flame me or call me player 1 for all I care.

Not being able to launch a shuttle from your ship did make me laugh but no more than that lack of interior space travel.

Kling faction never being finished is no different than other games not being finished before release, I have 1000 stories about that.

It's work in progress I think but overall I rarely crash or rubber band and I don't see any issues that are game breaking.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    OK, The ULTIMATE annoyance is the still prevalent V-Lag.

When you try to buy, sell, receive a reward/ item, sometimes the game just hangs and you have to wait for it.

Everything else is working, all animations are playing, you can still move about, there is no "server not responding" message, it's like the game just forgot where it was or got distracted.
  • acylionacylion Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    there have been times in history where naval vessels have been commandeered after the victory/loss of a battle, i vaugly remember a few russian/japanese ships being commandeered by either side during the ruso-japanese war but then again i would have to check that :D

edit:
    there is even a DS9 episode were sisko and others pinch a jemhadar ship :p
    elandarksky has covered the naval example. This is also true for armour. In WWII, it was quite common for armed forces to salvage and operate enemy tanks. For instance, the German forces were apparently quite impressed by Russian T-34s, and there are surviving examples of Russian tanks repainted with German markings.

So historically, this is very common. The issue is more that there's little precedent for this in Star Trek. Kirk and company did fly a Klingon Bird of Prey for all of Star Trek IV, although those were very unusual circumstances.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    acylion wrote: »
    So historically, this is very common. The issue is more that there's little precedent for this in Star Trek. Kirk and company did fly a Klingon Bird of Prey for all of Star Trek IV, although those were very unusual circumstances.
    Also Archer in the Xindi ship and Sisko in the Jem'hadar, at least. It happens. But when your show is about one ship, in the case of Voyager and Enterprise even named after that one ship, you can't replace it even if another ship would be better.

Thematically, they could have switched out the Defiant, especially when it was destroyed. But it was pretty much depicted as the greatest ship in the galaxy short of a Borg cube. Defeated only by the Breen cheating with the energy dissipator. It's not like they could trade it for anything better. Unlike STO, in canon the Jem'hadar ships weren't anything to write home about. They had an advantage in the beginning only because of their shield-piercing weapons.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Not that I care at all but the problem with the ww. 2 analogy is those people were all from the same planet with the same resources and same time period and technology.

It simply does not make sense you can fly any random ship into ESD and have it repaired or even repair it yourself in space.
    Even if you had the knowledge where do you get the components?

Yes my 4 white doff engineers are all well versed in any ship in the universe and we have assembly line production of all the little bits and pieces of every ship there ever were and ever will be :D

But totally irrelevant for the game. We got real problems to deal with.
    It comes down to do you want to fly a cool ship or not. If it really bothers you that much feel free to keep your federation standard issue.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Commandeer and use for a mission, sure. Comandeer and use it to survive, sure.
    Commandeer and use it as your main: not in the navy, no way.