test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ground Ability Slot Devices resetting when switched out

obertheromulanobertheromulan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
The ground ability tray seams to have lost the ability to remember which Device slot was assigned to where.
Every time I move a Device around, or after using an Enviro suit and going back to MACO,
I have to go through all the tabs looking where the hell things where put.
I bunch of my friends also found this very frustrating. It worked fine before Season 7 hit.

Can we please get this fixed?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vornek@oberlerchner123 - Join Date: July 2008
Post edited by obertheromulan on

Comments

• deadstromxdeadstromx Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I think I can't post new threads but can reply?

I think the UI system is bad. Things are getting assigned random places. For ground I can't change back it glitches out if I try anything but option 4.

ps can I actually post new threads? I'm not a spammed thanks STO.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Your character info indicates you registered in November, give it a little time, the limitation is to prevent spam bots from making threads in the forum, once you've been here a while the limitation will be lifted.
    As for the UI, I haven't noticed this problem personally, but I'll give it a closer look the next time I'm on.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm having the exact same issue. It's especially annoying when there are Large Hypos or other items that are required for the reputation system equipped on character. The game prioritizes personal devices as a source for these items for some reason, and then when I slot some new ones they appear in completely different tab.

Same goes for batteries in space, or even simple switching of items.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • nanomorphnanomorph Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Having the same problem. I prefer the integral frequency remod and emergency shield capacitor abilities of the MACO set to be alt-1 and alt-2 respectively, but whenever I load this toon (or swap armors around and back) it always defaults them to the lowest open slots (if any are on the first row, it puts them there, if not, second row, etc.).

What's weird is that this behavior is limited to my alt. I don't get this behavior on my main toon.
  • blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The ground ability tray seams to have lost the ability to remember which Device slot was assigned to where.
    Every time I move a Device around, or after using an Enviro suit and going back to MACO,
    I bunch of my friends also found this very frustrating. It worked fine before Season 7 hit.

This is happening to me ever since Season 7. It's particularly annoying when I go to do a ground mission and swap the fleet tribble out for hypos or something, then suddenly in the middle of the battle I realize they're not on my power tray and are unusable.

Please - is anyone looking into this at all? Soooo annoying!

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • alax2011alax2011 Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    suaveks wrote: »
    It's especially annoying when there are Large Hypos or other items that are required for the reputation system equipped on character. The game prioritizes personal devices as a source for these items for some reason, and then when I slot some new ones they appear in completely different tab.

Same goes for batteries in space, or even simple switching of items.

YEP!!! I have the same problem when i use the rep system!! AND i find it annoying!!!

Yep, I i hate how the Tray resets itself all the time, and also, has anyone noticed some lag from the tray??? Like you press a Skill and watch it flash (Press...Flash....Press...Flash....Press...Flash....DEAD) and fail to go off? I get this annoying thing on my sci all the time, and just today i healed someone 3 times that had the Borg nanites running threw them and they still turned into Borg, did they nurf the heals from scis so they don't heal the nanites anymore?
    edited December 2012
    alax2011 wrote: »
    Yep, I i hate how the Tray resets itself all the time, and also, has anyone noticed some lag from the tray??? Like you press a Skill and watch it flash (Press...Flash....Press...Flash....Press...Flash....DEAD) and fail to go off? I get this annoying thing on my sci all the time, and just today i healed someone 3 times that had the Borg nanites running threw them and they still turned into Borg, did they nurf the heals from scis so they don't heal the nanites anymore?

I play a sci as well and have this happen all the time, most prominently in any of the ground invasion maps - Nukara Prime, Defera Invasion Zone, and New Romulus. But I don't think it's limited to sci - I think it has to do with lag.

The more people in an instance, the more times I seem to have to hit a button to get it to work. Although, now that I think of it, this morning on my Klingon, I was doing a space mission in Tau Dewa by myself, and not one key worked the first time.

Also, occasionally I'll beam into a ground map and my movement keys won't work. I have to navigate my toon with the two mouse buttons and it will not change until I've beamed out and in again. Most often happens during the tour event, but also during teamed missions - especially annoying during an STF. Hard enough to play a Sci effectively, no powers or movement doesn't exactly help the image. :(

"Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • tylermaxwelltylermaxwell Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    A few weeks into Season 7, and I am still having this issue on my main character, but oddly not on my alts, and for the life of my I cannot figure out why this would be the case. This even resets when consumables which were once in my device slot are expended, then subsequently refilled in the exact same spot. I hope this is fixed soon, because the extra steps I have to take to reapply powers and devices to my tray after switching is kind of annoying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2012
    Yep I've been noticing this too. When I put a device on my character it ends up all over the place. there is no default location, sometimes I can find it up in bar 6 or 7, sometimes it doesn't show up in the bars at all. It would be better to have a device minibar in the UI and do away with inventory linking altogether.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
    edited December 2012
    A few weeks into Season 7, and I am still having this issue on my main character, but oddly not on my alts, and for the life of my I cannot figure out why this would be the case. This even resets when consumables which were once in my device slot are expended, then subsequently refilled in the exact same spot. I hope this is fixed soon, because the extra steps I have to take to reapply powers and devices to my tray after switching is kind of annoying.

I was only experiencing this issue on my Klingon alt, who was created in the past few months (don't remember exact time, but after starbases and before season 7). My main and alt Fed characters were created back at game launch and did not have the problem.

However, ever since I went to Q's winter wonderland and participated in the snowball fights, it is now happening on all of them. :mad:

Hard enough just gathering enough snowballs to throw before you have a gun, but then when they turned into 'melted' snowballs, they didn't show up in the device slot, and after picking up 'fresh' snowballs, they didn't show up in the device slot again. This means I'm trying to pick up snowballs, open the device slot UI, drag snowballs back to a slot on the tray, lock the toolbar, etc - all while being under fire and frozen most of the time by the those darn snowmen.

That was bad enough, but something I thought I could deal with, since it's a limited event and I planned on getting the Avalanche anyway - BUT... ground missions on both of my Fed alts now do exactly the same thing. They don't remember device slots, if I use up anything, restocking means redoing the device slot, etc. etc.

I can't for certain say why, but I believe it has to have something to do with new characters or the coding in the device slot or both, since I had no probs w/this on my 'older' characters, until I was slotting "new" devices (snowballs)

― Sereda Aleta Dailey

• aspheasphe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    You're right Moogie. As long as your character is 'old' and never throws a snowball, it's USUALLY ok (just don't equip all 3 pieces of a space set or change your ground set).

I really wish Cryptic would either disable this 'auto-populate your power tray because you players are stupid idiots who won't use the powers otherwise' or make it an option. Really, they way the game helps you is rather like a doctor amputating your left arm if your right arm is damaged.

So let's all hold our breath until your avatar's portrait turns blue... no wait, that actually happens...
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The tray powers are not resetting, that is the problem here. When you mount a hypo into a device slot, it reserves the next available UI tray slot for that hypo. That slot becomes "reserved" for that specific stack of hypos. So when you go to swap out that hypo, it does not "unreserve" the slot like it used to pre-season seven. Unlike kits, which still function correctly. Say you swap a large hypo stack out for the shard of possibilities. Rather than placing the shard of possibilities in the UI slot previously occupied by the hypos, the tray places the shard in the next "unreserved" slot in the tray. This means that the shard can end up in the hidden rows 4-10. The only way to "unreserve" a slot is to right click on the UI slot and drag the icon off. Even if there is no icon present in a slot, it may still be marked as "reserved".
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
    edited December 2012
    A reset button in the quicktray, maybe in configure UI, or in the powers window would be a big help. Dragging out 90 tray buttons to un-reserve them is not a process I would want to repeat very often.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • claransaclaransa Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I got you all beat!

Yeah i have the same problem with consumables not showing up where they should in my tool bars, but one day I was scrolling through my tool bars trying to find things... I found accolades I had just earned on a tool bar! The icon looks like a comm badge but clicking on it of course does nothing.

So i bug reported it and dragged them off, how weird is that?
  • mattack13mattack13 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I have had the same problem since season 7 began, and it is so annoying. Any item or tribble switch is really tedious, and impossible to do on the fly.

The same thing happens to me with space device slotting. Not only that, my weapon layout won't display on my HUD, nor my BOFFs. I slot my BOFF abilities in my tray now, so that is OK, but the lack of weapons display is annoying. No matter how many times I toggle it on/off, or move it around, it just won't show. Anybody else experience this? None of the aforementioned was a problem prior to season 7.
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    maxvitor wrote: »
    A reset button in the quicktray, maybe in configure UI, or in the powers window would be a big help. Dragging out 90 tray buttons to un-reserve them is not a process I would want to repeat very often.

When something is unequip from the player, the UI slot the item occupied should be marked as unreserved. The other way to fix this would be to make it so that adding a device slot icon reserves that tray slot for all devices ever placed in that device slot like it used to be. Rather than the current method where UI slots are reserved to the inventory slot the device was originally located in.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
    edited December 2012
    When something is unequip from the player, the UI slot the item occupied should be marked as unreserved.

No, please. That's sort of a version of the current problem. Then every time you swap out a device, you would have to pull it back down to the power tray, or at the very least move it to where you want it. I want my devices in the top tray, on the last 4 buttons. That's where they go, that's where I know I can use them. I do not want the UI putting 'em in the 'next available slot' nor waiting for me to slot them again.
    The other way to fix this would be to make it so that adding a device slot icon reserves that tray slot for all devices ever placed in that device slot like it used to be. Rather than the current method where UI slots are reserved to the inventory slot the device was originally located in.

Yes - kits function in this way, devices function in this way until you throw a snowball, so there must be something about the new "devices" that has changed the tray interaction. I'm not sure if you have access to the code, so that you know for sure how this is working now, but it has not across-the-board changed to the system you describe.

In other words, it doesn't happen for all characters, but once it starts, it definitely will not go back. I can't say if it's true for all characters in the game, but at least in my experience and previous poster asphe, it seems to affect "new characters" and/or any character that slots any of the new devices or ground sets, and I have also experienced the weird space tray icons & devices in space not slotting where they used to be as well.

― Sereda Aleta Dailey

• bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The same thing is happening with consumables in space. For example; when you run out of weapons batteries and you replace them they do not return to the same place in your power tray. This is really annoying when you are in the middle of a PvP match and you need to replace items then rearrange their positions in the heat of battle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This is not only the case for ground devices. I have the Jem'Haddar space set and that 'beam' thing has been put on a random place of my power tray. I put it into another slot, but it resets it self constantly to its former slot.

Anyway, the power tray seems to have a mind of its own. Like a former poster here said, I like to turn it of (that mind).
  • gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The ground slots, 5 and 10, on my second tray reset. I switch them back, lock the try but that does not help.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I've had the same problem, specifically the Device slots, they used to be tied to the last four buttons on the first level of the ability tray, but now you have to set them manually whenever you change or use up the devices in the slot.
  • zunderdomezunderdome Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Powers, items and so on keep switching, so i will now push this thread back to topic because it is annoying everytime switch the powers and items manualy back to the place it have to be.

That affects space and ground trays and it is disturbing the gameplay because "Hey, why the hell i pushed the button for hypos and i don't get healed anyway... AH the hypos has walked around and found a new home..."

It makes less fun especially for ground missions.

So hopefully it will get fixed soon. Little apeall to the devs.... Please do not insert new features to the game (that are bugged too) instead of fixing existing ones....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This is Crypticverse...