test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Buying your way to VA?

startrek1234567startrek1234567 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Ok i know what your thinking so let me explain...

I was thinking that maybe PWE should make a option to buy a character to VA for 1000 zen maybe.

That you can only buy this option ONCE per account and you have to have at least one VA already to do so.

Your thoughts?
Post edited by startrek1234567 on

Comments

• vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Sure why not.

They allow you to turbo level through mirror event and doff'ing anyway ignoring most content.

In fact you can level totally afk once you get your doff's so sure why not.
  • startrek1234567startrek1234567 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    remember im suggesting you can only do it once per account and only if you already have 1 VA
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I vehemently disagree with what the OP is suggesting.

It does not take very long to level a toon through to VA, and learning to tackle higher level challenges is part of the journey. If a player could simply buy their way to higher ranks and skip over content, then we'd have a significant number of essentially incompetent VA 50s who will cause problems for PvE/PvP team performance.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Honestly, as long as already having one character at the highest level (and with that faction) is a requirement, I'd like this. If this was an option I'd make an Engi alt right away. What's keeping me from doing it currently is the prospect of having to run through the leveling phase for the 4th time.

But they would never do it, it opens too many unwanted doors.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Id rather have an option to Lock a character so it doesn't get promoted
    but I can see how this would help really lazy people
    so as long as they didn't Get ANY expertise points on the way up why not
    Live long and Prosper
  • auriciusauricius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    Id rather have an option to Lock a character so it doesn't get promoted

Seconded.

/10char
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I like the idea of the lock at X rank
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    For me it would be Captain

and then I could cruise happily round the cosmos boldly going where no man has been before (except everyone else)
    Live long and Prosper
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Honestly, buying your way to another VA toon to me does not make much sense. Part of the fun of the game is leveling up new characters, at least in my opinion. I don't like the idea of simply buying my way to another VA when it's easy enough to level a new one up from 1 to 50.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Sound like a nice feature to me, as someone with 4 VA characters I found it very tedious leveling the 3rd and 4th. Like the OP said, would only be after you had leveled atleast 1 character the hard way. Almost certain to never happen though.
    edited December 2012
    Honestly, buying your way to another VA toon to me does not make much sense. Part of the fun of the game is leveling up new characters, at least in my opinion. I don't like the idea of simply buying my way to another VA when it's easy enough to level a new one up from 1 to 50.

I honestly hate leveling even though its so easy.

I mean i went through the "campaign" 3 times i really do not feel like doing it multiple more times. I have 3 maxed characters and again i do not feel like leveling up again and i do want more characters
    edited December 2012
    john98837 wrote: »
    Sound like a nice feature to me, as someone with 4 VA characters I found it very tedious leveling the 3rd and 4th. Like the OP said, would only be after you had leveled atleast 1 character the hard way. Almost certain to never happen though.

i agree it probabaly will not happen. but it would still be cool.
  • mkilczewskimkilczewski Member Posts: 284
    edited December 2012
    I'd rather have the Breen cruiser be an account wide unlock, once one of your toons gets enough pictures. Having to run the "Laggiest Game on Ice", 9 times a day, is a real, freakin', gunshot, to the head.
  • beerstickmanbeerstickman Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Ok i know what your thinking so let me explain...

I was thinking that maybe PWE should make a option to buy a character to VA for 1000 zen maybe.

That you can only buy this option ONCE per account and you have to have at least one VA already to do so.

Your thoughts?

Sure why not! While we are at it, lets just buy someone to grind for us too! Or better yet, how about an STO Macro that will just play everything for us, so we dont have to do a thing! We could just watch STO like a movie and drink beer. Oh wait! I'll need to buy someone to hold the beer for me too. Then ill need to buy someone to get the beer, and keep it cold too.

On a serious note..It doesnt take that long to level.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2012
    who really cares about the leveling missions? most people i know skip all the dialogue when leveling the second time around. Plus PVP is dead. I do not see many people queing for it anyway. The gear you get leveling up is not that great any way. So why should we not be able to buy ONE character per account to VA, if you atleast have one VA already. Why would people want to make multiple accounts anyway. its completely pointless.

It does not have to 1000 zen anyway it could be much less.
  • mkilczewskimkilczewski Member Posts: 284
    edited December 2012
    Sure why not! While we are at it, lets just buy someone to grind for us too! Or better yet, how about an STO Macro that will just play everything for us, so we dont have to do a thing! We could just watch STO like a movie and drink beer. Oh wait! I'll need to buy someone to hold the beer for me too. Then ill need to buy someone to get the beer, and keep it cold too.

On a serious note..It doesnt take that long to level.

If you buy the ST movies and series DVDs you can do just that! It's also better, because the DVDs aren't chock full of all the crazy, zany, half-baked, ideas that Cryptic has injected into the franchise.
  • xantrisxantris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    sumghai wrote: »

It does not take very long to level a toon through to VA, and learning to tackle higher level challenges is part of the journey. If a player could simply buy their way to higher ranks and skip over content, then we'd have a significant number of essentially incompetent VA 50s who will cause problems for PvE/PvP team performance.

So what? We already do. Baddies are bad, I've seen guys with 2 years experience that I wouldn't trust to take out probes, and I've seen kids playing for 2 months that can break 10k DPS. It's more about the research your willing to do outside the game than anything else.

I personally have no problem at all with the suggestion. Leveling is a drag and offers nothing to someone who has already did it once before.
  • loverofwarsloverofwars Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    you can level in one 2 days to max level mirror event/random pvp 5 kills try killing them or stand still some will reject the invite others accept repeate 3 times claim rewards challenge someone again. to the person who said we'd end up with incompetent va players theres alot in stfs already few more might not even be noticed :D
  • aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited December 2012
    sumghai wrote: »

youre assuming we dont already have that? join any elite pugs lately?
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    aarons9 wrote: »
    youre assuming we dont already have that? join any elite pugs lately?
    Most elite PUGs I've been in have reasonably competent players.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    At least one VA. That makes sense. We don't want full leveled characters that don't know where the shipyard is. But just one per account? Why, what is wrong when a player that knows the game wants some more characters, but don't want to level them and just buys them at max level. What's wrong with buying two, three or more?

We should think here about this basic game concept, leveling. For what is it, what is the point of it. In my view a game should have a short learning curve for the basic concepts and these should be the levels. 20 levels for 20 hours.

As far as I see, all games have different classes, but all classes go through the same game content. That already a minor point of leveling.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited December 2012
    One drawback to buying VA is the lack of experience. I am not talking about the players experience, but rather the xp generated for the toon.

As you develop reputation - currently 3 being Fleet, OMEGA and Romulan - You need to spend that accumulative XP for future development. For a 1 or 2 toon player, this isn't an issue.

My 3rd and 4th toons don't get as much playtime, and as a result have been running out of experience for respect events. As the cooler equipment is fleet/reputation only, this is proving to be a challenge to keep them developing at the same rate.

Dilithium, EC, Omega and romulan marks are all relatively easy to acquire with little effort. Experience, eaten at 50-120K per Tier based on you choices can be a daunting task.

And from the dev's posts, we know we will be seeing more of this.

So I say yes, let people buy all the VA's they want. Just make them work for the experience to take advantage of it.
  • twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If you want to start a new character at a higher level, I'd suggest trying the KDF.
  • squidheadjaxsquidheadjax Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This is already in the game. Buy a few DOff packs, leverage that to take your character's advancement to Ludicrous Speed. None of the 3 VAs I made after my return at the start of season 7 had completed playing through the Davidian featured eps before their final promotion.
    SQUIRREL!