test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

respec

princedimwitprincedimwit Member Posts: 230 Arc User
edited December 2012 in The Academy
okay, If I'm not interested in gaining any points for anything, just having good skills, should I max out what I can in my skills?

I did what another poster suggested and respec'ed all my skills down to all green and two yellow across the board. I just feel that if they were all maxed out, I'd be better at things like ground and space combat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by princedimwit on

Comments

• Options
    majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It really depends on what you would like to do in the game. If you can answer the following questions I can make a skill point build that will make you effective in that area.

Is your character tactical, engineering, or science (if I recall you said tactical)?

Is there one or two specific ships that you are planning to fly (is it still a star cruiser)?

Would you like to specc primarily in ground or space, or would you like them to be fairly equal?
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    It really depends on what you would like to do in the game. If you can answer the following questions I can make a skill point build that will make you effective in that area.

Is your character tactical, engineering, or science (if I recall you said tactical)?

Is there one or two specific ships that you are planning to fly (is it still a star cruiser)?

Would you like to specc primarily in ground or space, or would you like them to be fairly equal?

Tactical, yes.

I'm in a Mirror Universe Deep Space Science Vessel and it kicks butt. My ultimate goal it to get into an Akira or Saber. I'm still not surviving as long as I'd like to be in both ground and space encounters especially in PVP/E. Some of the DSE's I can clear out myself like the Klingons (obviously). The Romulan fleets I can generally take care of the big capitol flagship fleets depending if I have all my BOffs available.

Ground, I'm most likely to die at every turn. I think I have decent enough weapons and shields and kits but seems like first or second shot, I go to black and white and I'm rapid firing the call for help button.

My preferred arena is space.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    acylionacylion Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The reason why a lot of players say you shouldn't max out skills (going 9 ranks, all the way into the red zone) is because the last three ranks grant very little bonus.

The first three ranks are excellent. The next three ranks are good. By the time you reach the last three bars, you're getting a very small amount from each rank. The UI itself tells you this.

With that said, it's not necessarily a bad idea to max things out for some skills - I've heard people say the skill that boosts hull hitpoints is a good idea to go all the way in, some have argued for maxing Warp Core Potential, since that's a straight boost to power levels.

You may wish to select a few skills that you absolutely must max out, and just max out those. You shouldn't feel like you're suffering by leaving a skill at 3 or 6, though, because it's actually a good idea.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Bonus in terms of what? I'm already maxed out as far as rank goes.

I take it that it means that if I'm in a PVE, I'll get fewer fleet marks or whatever for participating?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    acylionacylion Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Bonus in terms of whatever it is that a given skill does. When I use the phrase 'rank' here, I'm not talking about player ranks, Lieutenant to Vice Admiral. I'm talking about the bars in each of the character skills.

I'm not sure what other phrase I should be using. 'Level' is equally confusing, and 'points' isn't accurate either - since you spend skill points to buy these things.

For instance, Rank 1 to Rank 3 in the Structural Integrity skill will give your starship a LOT of hull health points per rank. These are the green segments of a skill's bars.

From Rank 4 to Rank 6, you will get a much smaller number of hull health points per rank of Structural Integrity. These are the yellow segments of the bars.

And from Rank 7 to the maximum of Rank 9, you get an even lower number of hull health points for every rank you purchase of Structural Integrity. This is red.

So, Rank 1-3 is green in the user interface, Rank 4-6 is yellow, and Rank 7-9 is coloured red. This is why. The colour tells you how much benefit you're getting from pushing it that high.

For some skills and some builds, it still makes sense to squeeze every last drop out of certain skills. But many people think the last three ranks are generally not worth it, because you get relatively little benefit...so you may be better off spending those points elsewhere.

That's why people are telling you to go Rank 1-6, and not all the way to Rank 9. As I said, in some cases you may want to max out certain skills to Rank 9 anyway...it really depends on your requirements. But if doing so, you have to be aware that those last three ranks aren't getting you that much extra benefit.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It really depends on your build and playstyle. Since there are likely several skills that you could avoid spending anything on (threat control and projectile weapons for instance), you can therefore afford to pump some vital skills up to 9.

Blindly throwing points into every skill is not a good idea though, which is what you seem to have done.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    http://home.comcast.net/~amicus/Skill%20Point%20Effects.htm

With this you can see that paying to take something into the red gives less return. Some skills, like Attack Patterns for a Tactical Officer, are probably worth wringing every bit out of, or Electro-Plasma Systems since EPTS is on most every build.

Power insulators is super effective right now, so generally 6 is on all of my builds.

If you PvP or you just plain don't care about aggro the damage reduction from Threat Control means, for example, 3 in it plus 3 in Hull Plating gets you more than 6 in Hull Plating.

For a Tac on the ground I believe that one of the skills effects Tactical Initiative and it's worth taking it to 9 because TI effects all of your skills.

FYI, Subsystem repair is currently multiplied by crew, 0 alive crew means those points get you nothing.

Other than that, use the pulldown menu on the in game skills page to see which abilities are affected by which skills, and put points into what you know you will use.
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The primary thing to consider is that in the end you can't max out every skill. You can't even come close. You are going to have to have to make decisions as to what is important and what isn't to you and your play style.

It's not a big deal until you hit VA, but then you are going to want to get a good skill planner and maximize your overall return. STOWiki has an excellent one.