test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Captains' Table

glasswordsglasswords Member Posts: 43 Arc User
So, what is the benefit of the Captains' table? I just want to know if I'm missing anything. Seems rather redundant since you either have to be at ESD or Qo'nos to get to it. Are there any plans to expand it? It seems very neglected.

Does it really offer anything that I cannot get to as a silver member?

Thanks!
Post edited by glasswords on

Comments

• whitecloud197whitecloud197 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    As far as I know Its nothing more then a glorified meeting place.

there is nothing you can purchase or do there.
  • quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It has fewer people in zone chat. That's reason enough to go there.

It also has a bank, a vendor to sell trash to, the Exchange, a tailor, and a ship changer, all in the same room, so it's less running around.
    w8xekp.jpg
  • whitecloud197whitecloud197 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    quintaris wrote: »
    It has fewer people in zone chat. That's reason enough to go there.

It also has a bank, a vendor to sell trash to, the Exchange, a tailor, and a ship changer, all in the same room, so it's less running around.

Ohh they upgraded it since i was there last (in season 1)

Ill have to check that out, i like less running around.

Is there a sickbay also ?
  • bugshubugshu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    They used to pretend there were advantages to being a lifetime subscriber over a monthly subscriber and there really werent beyond the fact that you didnt have to pay $15 each month.

Now there are few advantages to being a gold subscriber over f2p. And fewer still to being lifetime.

It would be nice if there were "real" advantages to being lifetime but I dont see it happening.

I would never advise anyone to be a lifetime subscriber anymore for any reason.

Im not sure this game will continue for another 3 years if Cryptic keeps working hard to destroy everyones fun.
  • outlaw51825outlaw51825 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    glasswords wrote: »
    So, what is the benefit of the Captains' table? I just want to know if I'm missing anything. Seems rather redundant since you either have to be at ESD or Qo'nos to get to it. Are there any plans to expand it? It seems very neglected.

Does it really offer anything that I cannot get to as a silver member?

Thanks!

The original Captains Table is a series of books involving Starfleet captians (all of the originals) My favorite was the DS9 novel i loved the interaction between the two plots.

STO brought that concept into the game apparently. I've never known if it actually measures up to the real place.

But have you seen the PS3 commercials about 'Michael' ? The one with most of the roster of PS3 characters (even a few multi console make an appearence there) It's kinda like that. At least in the books.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2012
    Back when the game launched it was a handy place for lifers to go because ESD was always very busy and thus laggy. Now it's very much redundant, sadly.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    They need a door in each social area that allows you to go to the Captain's Table. That way you can travel from ESD to DS9 or New Romulus without travelling through sector space or using your transwarp power. Also, it is consistent with how the Captain's Table is supposed to work.
  • yggdrayurilyggdrayuril Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    bugshu wrote: »
    They used to pretend there were advantages to being a lifetime subscriber over a monthly subscriber and there really werent beyond the fact that you didnt have to pay $15 each month.

Now there are few advantages to being a gold subscriber over f2p. And fewer still to being lifetime.

It would be nice if there were "real" advantages to being lifetime but I dont see it happening.

I would never advise anyone to be a lifetime subscriber anymore for any reason.

Im not sure this game will continue for another 3 years if Cryptic keeps working hard to destroy everyones fun.

The advantage to lifeing is your support to the game, it's not a "Cryptic has to make the best stuff for the lifers!".

Also you save a ton of money in the long run, anyone who bought it when they first came out, is basically having Cryptic lose money now.
  • bolter25bolter25 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    They need a door in each social area that allows you to go to the Captain's Table. That way you can travel from ESD to DS9 or New Romulus without travelling through sector space or using your transwarp power. Also, it is consistent with how the Captain's Table is supposed to work.

I did not know this about the Captain's table; thanks for sharing this. :)
  • glasswordsglasswords Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    starkaos wrote: »

I've said that to myself several times. Seems like a nice perk to give to us lifers without any "unfair" advantage to the others.
    edited December 2012
    The advantage to lifeing is your support to the game, it's not a "Cryptic has to make the best stuff for the lifers!".

Also you save a ton of money in the long run, anyone who bought it when they first came out, is basically having Cryptic lose money now.

Not necessarily the "best stuff", but we clearly are supporting the game financially. Being the "dedicated few", we are more likely to support it even further.

Even with that life time subscription I'm sure you've given a little more.

I find it hard to believe they are loosing money. In ********, you pay your $15/month. With that subscription, you have the ability to play the game and potential to win or earn everything.

Going life in STO, you give them 1.5 years worth of $15/month up front.
    (Unless you wait for the sale)

The only difference I see is that I am forced to hold onto my stipend for four months to get that 2,000 point star ship I want. I must admit, it sure beats throwing HOURS away running the same raid every week with 10 or 25 other people who you pray show up. In hopes that that rare item finally drops AND you get the winning role.

If I didn't enjoy the game I would have never gone life. I think there is still great potential in this game. Personally, I'm aching for more story... and I mean GOOD story. The "old timeline" is all theirs now, they should be taking full advantage of it.

New Romulus is the first evidence I've seen of that. I am enjoying it (Good job guys!).

I just wish there were new episodes to further expand the story.

The Tholian incursion really fell flat on its face. Either that or I missed the story there somewhere.

Anyway, with this game, as a lifetime subscriber, if you get bored, the put the game a side for a while.. wait a month or two and then come back. You'll have a small pile of points and new content. Life [member] is good.

PS: Not to give Cryptic/PW any ideas, keep in mind with the "other guy's model", you're also forking out $40 every year or two for their new content as well. You just found out a friend of yours plays too? Oh yea, he is on another server. There goes another $15-$45 USD to move your toon over (and possibly faction change them)... eh no thanks.
  • quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Cryptic is technically paying me 5 bucks a month to play STO. I'm okay with that.
    w8xekp.jpg
  • jamesburtchelljamesburtchell Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    i agree with what you said. they need a way to make it accessible from any major starbase or place of that sort
    The Emperor isn't please with Cryptic apparent lack of progress for the Empire. Lord Vader is on his way
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    bolter25 wrote: »
    I did not know this about the Captain's table; thanks for sharing this. :)

Yup. A door to the Captains Table (A bar/social scene for Captains only) appears at least once to every captain throughout history.

Captain Calhoun found his on the Holodeck, upon entering the place he called for the arch and nothing happened.

Then we got the story of his run as a first officer.
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'd prefer a direct transwarp like the one to the Fleet Starbase. The reason nobody uses it is because it's not worth the additional effort. You have to fly/transwarp to Sol, then fly over to the Aenigma thing, do another map transfer to the Captain's Table exterior, then transfer into the station itself. It's easier to just fly to ESD or beam straight down to the Academy.

Having doors in the major social zones wouldn't solve the problem. You're already in ESD/DS9/whatever, why make an additional transfer when you could just use the facilities already there? Having it tied to doors is more consistent with the original fiction, but not useful from a gameplay standpoint.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
    edited December 2012
    I'd prefer a direct transwarp like the one to the Fleet Starbase. The reason nobody uses it is because it's not worth the additional effort. You have to fly/transwarp to Sol, then fly over to the Aenigma thing, do another map transfer to the Captain's Table exterior, then transfer into the station itself. It's easier to just fly to ESD or beam straight down to the Academy.

Having doors in the major social zones wouldn't solve the problem. You're already in ESD/DS9/whatever, why make an additional transfer when you could just use the facilities already there? Having it tied to doors is more consistent with the original fiction, but not useful from a gameplay standpoint.

The doors in major social zones is to access that part of the game without using transwarp or travel the long way. Currently the only way to get to New Romulus is travel the long way or use the Excelsior. With the door system, you can just enter a door and you are on New Romulus. They could even put a door on your ship that lets you access the Captain's Table.
    edited December 2012
    The doors in major social zones is to access that part of the game without using transwarp or travel the long way. Currently the only way to get to New Romulus is travel the long way or use the Excelsior. With the door system, you can just enter a door and you are on New Romulus. They could even put a door on your ship that lets you access the Captain's Table.

How about something as simple as a Transwarp to the Captains' Table?
    Rather like the Fleet Star base.
    edited December 2012
    glasswords wrote: »
    How about something as simple as a Transwarp to the Captains' Table?
    Rather like the Fleet Star base.

To get use out of it, then it needs to work as a Transwarp Hub. The door thing fits with the lore of Star Trek about the Captain's Table. If it works like the Fleet Starbase Transwarp, then it is not that effective. In fact, it would be no better than the summon transport power except have a shorter cooldown.
  • lancemeszaroslancemeszaros Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    To get use out of it, then it needs to work as a Transwarp Hub. The door thing fits with the lore of Star Trek about the Captain's Table. If it works like the Fleet Starbase Transwarp, then it is not that effective. In fact, it would be no better than the summon transport power except have a shorter cooldown.
    So you're basically saying it should have a two-way door with every major location? I like that a lot, and there are more than enough decorative doors in every major location that you can set aside one each for Captain's Table access.

Honestly though, and this is speaking as a silver player, I really do think lifetime players should get an actual real advantage from being a lifetime player, beyond the frankly paltry stipend they're given. At exchange rates these days, 500 zen is a week's worth of dilithium, so they're getting roughly 2500 a month when everyone else (assuming they're at the daily cap every day) is getting roughly 2000. Back when the exchange rate was more than double what it is now, 500 zen would've been nice, but as it stands right now I don't think it's enough. What lifetimers basically get are a week's worth of extra zen/dil every month, a player race that they may not even want to play as, access to every vet reward (which is a good thing!) and a handful of decorative bonuses.

I could buy out everything I could ever want from the C-store for less than 30,000 Zen, probably. Maybe limetimers could get access to C-store items for free, or at least at a large discount?