test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I want a PROXIMA CLASS retrofit

sodrick2sodrick2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Federation Discussion
:cool:
Hi guys, I hope that cryptic want to meet these demands, and I hope that many listed in this post.

I'd like to have the proxima class retrofit
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Proxima_class?file=ProximaRefit.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZO7q94uy0A

this ship could have this equipment:

weapons slot 4 front and 4 rear
weapon equipment:
2 dual beam array front.
2 dual rear beam array.
2 heavy cannon side.
1 quantum torpedo front
1 quantum torpedo back
4 consoles engineering
3 consoles science
3 console tactics

shield modifier 1.22

55,000 capacity hull
Special Console: hull heavy + regeneration resistance for 30 seconds
which functions as the regeneration Borg (or the miracle worker) + polarize the hull type 3.

this is a battleship then in slow motion and powerful weapons.
:D

they put the Constitution refit, put the Excelsior refit, why not bring the class proxima refit?:rolleyes:

(I'm sorry for my English, but I use google translator:D)
Post edited by sodrick2 on

Comments

• wolfpack12cwolfpack12c Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    55k hull is just TRIBBLE everything else I'm okay with but really think of the overall game and then think of what has the highest hull right now I would say most go 40-45 and that's still pushing it
    -"There is no such thing as an I win button!" "Um, Sir. Whats this button that says (I win) for then?"
  • acylionacylion Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I feel really bad about making this post, but this comes up from time to time, and it probably needs to be said.

It's very unlikely this ship will be put in Star Trek Online. Not impossible, but unlikely. Why? Because it's from Star Trek: Legacy, another video game - by a different company.

Star Trek: Legacy was made by Mad Doc Software and published by Bethesda Softworks. Star Trek belongs to CBS. So who owns the rights to the Proxima design? Whose permission is needed to use the design?

Why does this matter? Well, you see, the terms of Star Trek game licensing are quite specific. CBS (who own Star Trek) have given Cryptic Studios the permission to use ships from the TV shows and the novels.

In the past, people have asked for...say, the USS Kelvin design that appeared in the 2009 movie, as well as the 2009-version Enterprise. Cryptic said they couldn't do it, because they didn't have the license to use any ships from the 2009 movie. Because it's not part of their agreement with CBS.

Now, it's more likely Cryptic might be able to make some sort of original ship design of their own which looks something like the Proxima - the whole twin-hull thing. It's possible. But again, that's unlikely, because there's still lots of canon ships which they haven't put in-game yet.
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    acylion wrote: »
    Why does this matter? Well, you see, the terms of Star Trek game licensing are quite specific. CBS (who own Star Trek) have given Cryptic Studios the permission to use ships from the TV shows and the novels.

The license was for the TV shows and the first 10 movies (up through and including Nemesis). The Vesta was a separate licensing deal.
  • lexx#3142 lexx Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I Agree to the proxima class but i also want 2 see the yorktown class from star trek legacy as well in-game
    WlH5L28.png
  • acylionacylion Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The license was for the TV shows and the first 10 movies (up through and including Nemesis). The Vesta was a separate licensing deal.

Huh. I didn't know that. That's good to hear. If Cryptic's been able to get further licensing from CBS, to cover even more stuff, then that's absolutely fantastic.

Still, I personally feel it's unlikely they'd want to - or even be able to - bring in designs that were created by other game companies for other games. It'd be cool if they did. I'm just sceptical about the possibility.

But there'd be nothing stopping them from at least taking inspiration from such designs, and doing something similar.
  • nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited December 2012
  • trahltrahl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Why do you want a ship almost three hundred years out of date? Sure the constitution refit is in there- as a noob ship. The Excelsior class was hyper advanced for its time and is now pushing its operational usefulness as well.

Like its been said, some design elements can be pulled but at this point, you're basically asking for a fat (or fatter) version of the chimera.
  • diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I don't know why this is, but every time I click on a Memory Beta link to a starship page, my initial reaction is invariably, "EWWWWW!" I don't think I've seen a single design on there that I've preferred over any of the designs from the shows and movies. >_<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    acylion wrote: »
    Huh. I didn't know that. That's good to hear. If Cryptic's been able to get further licensing from CBS, to cover even more stuff, then that's absolutely fantastic.

Still, I personally feel it's unlikely they'd want to - or even be able to - bring in designs that were created by other game companies for other games. It'd be cool if they did. I'm just sceptical about the possibility.

But there'd be nothing stopping them from at least taking inspiration from such designs, and doing something similar.

Well, there was more than just CBS involved in the deal.
    CBS only had to pretty much decide whether Cryptic could add the ship to the game, just like they have the right to deny them with basically every ship, like the T5 Connie or the Enterprise-J.
    Cryptic also had to negotiate with every license holder for the Vesta, which was Rademaker, Pocket books and the people who make the "Ships of the Line" calender (the Vesta appears in it as well).
    So the whole negotiation process took over a year (that we know of) and involved god knows how much legal voodoo and money...just for one ship.
    And none of the license holders involved are competitors in the computer gaming market.

That would be different when it comes to ships like this one.
    So yeah very unlikely indeed.

And we already have a ship with at least some design similarities: the Chimera.;)
    edited December 2012
    Depends on which awfulness you mean, the awful-loooking ship, the awful IWIN stats, the awful lack of understanding when it comes to the legal and canon status of games, the awful need to put the ship's class in caps to show how AWESOME it is...take your pick.;)
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Isn't this originally a star fleet command ship? I swear it used to be the best one in the game.
  • charliescot25charliescot25 Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Even if the devs were able to release this ship, it's CBS that would say no because of the constitution class ship style make.

In short words; It's never going to happen. Although I do like that design :rolleyes: x
    [SIGPIC]USSDundee_zpsfcfe716b.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2012
    cidstorm wrote: »
    Isn't this originally a star fleet command ship? I swear it used to be the best one in the game.

Not quite, it's from Star Trek Legacy.
    But it's somewhat similar in some areas to the Fed battleship in Starfleet Command and Klingon Academy, for example both have two hulls next to each other.
  • novaraptornovaraptor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Look, i love The Proxima class too. I used it way to much in Legacy, but we have the equivalent already in game. The Typhoon class. IF we ever get it as a playable ship and they bother to put it out with 3 skins like the other ships, maybe they will do a dual hull design as an homage to the Proxima.