test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Borg Cutting Beam

saltypineapplesaltypineapple Member Posts: 129 Arc User
It's obviously a type of beam weapon (in the TNG episode "Q-Who" Data referred to it as a type of laser) but in this game the beam deals kinetic energy. Now does your projectile skills increase its effectiveness or does energy skills? Are there any tac consoles that will also enhance its damage? The tool-tip isn't very descriptive on it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#It'sJustaGameAndAFreeOneAtThat!
Come Visit the 44th Fleet
Post edited by saltypineapple on

Comments

• Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    maybe particle generator could increase it, but thats just a guess. Probably have to wait a little longer to get info on that.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    andrewgariskandrewgarisk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I wasn't able to see anything but Weapon power setting and the Rule 62 buffing the beam, but I have not tested the Sci skill tree.
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well if rule 62 module enhances it (+11% mine and torp dmg) then presumably Variable Geometry Detonators and/or Warhead Yield Chamber will do it too?
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    aestuaestu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I just got my cutting beam. It will be the topic of my next story.

The weapon is a bit odd. It has a really severe firing throttle - it takes a few more seconds to fire than most weapons. It doesn't look like the cutting beam from Deja Q, rather it looks like a generic red Gateway beam. Actually, I didn't realize those beams were supposed to be cutting beams until now.

I was a bit disappointed by the animation; I was hoping to go, *fwizzzzzz* "MUWAHHAHAHA".

It does hit very hard though. If shields are down the thing will cut an opponent to shreds in short order. It's fun and elegant to get a shield down, get a cutting beam lock, then start turning to face the next target while the previous target is being cut apart.

...you know what we need? A Plasmatic Pulsar Device weapon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    I dislike that the cutting beam is 1 per ship, and says this absolutely NOWHERE.

I mean, only after you queue the project for a second or third one and try and stick them on your ship do you find this out, right?

and then you've got a bunch of wasted resources for zilch.

And I was so looking forward to a polarized tetryon+cutting beam build too. Alas.
  • Options
    darimunddarimund Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    to answer the OP's questions, no nothing effects it other than weapon power and energy weapon skills.

honestly, it makes for a great torpedo boat weapon. I've been running 2x mk xii borg photons forward and this thing aft, been absolutely ripping things apart.
  • Options
    andrewgariskandrewgarisk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well if rule 62 module enhances it (+11% mine and torp dmg) then presumably Variable Geometry Detonators and/or Warhead Yield Chamber will do it too?

I tried both and all the other basic consoles to no effect. Think Rule 62 is just a bug to be honest.
  • Options
    quiscustodietquiscustodiet Member Posts: 350
    edited December 2012
    illcadia wrote: »
    I dislike that the cutting beam is 1 per ship, and says this absolutely NOWHERE.

I mean, only after you queue the project for a second or third one and try and stick them on your ship do you find this out, right?

and then you've got a bunch of wasted resources for zilch.

And I was so looking forward to a polarized tetryon+cutting beam build too. Alas.

Common sense tells you. It's a set item.
    Can you use 2 Borg Consoles? No. Why? Set item.

Sure, Cryptic devs could've excluded duplicates from the sets, but that's not how they do things.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It is however hilarious to use on a fighter/shuttle
  • Options
    tanadanattanadanat Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited December 2012

disturbing is the correct term I think :)
  • Options
    weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Has anyone seriously tried this? I assume you need another beam array with it since it doesn't really work on shields yes?

A shame since I was thinking it'd be nice to have a fully Borged-out Captain's Yacht (with the Cutting Beam and the Omega Torp :D)
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • Options
    saltypineapplesaltypineapple Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Has anyone seriously tried this? I assume you need another beam array with it since it doesn't really work on shields yes?

A shame since I was thinking it'd be nice to have a fully Borged-out Captain's Yacht (with the Cutting Beam and the Omega Torp :D)

I think I will test this out on "Operation Gamma" when I get a chance. If it works well I will try it out in the Vault.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#It'sJustaGameAndAFreeOneAtThat!
    Come Visit the 44th Fleet
  • Options
    n0vastaronen0vastarone Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    if you look really closely. It leaves a cutting mark where it hits. hull or shields.
    4h4uFix.pngJoin Date. Dec 2007
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    if you look really closely. It leaves a cutting mark where it hits. hull or shields.

Too bad that I can't make smiley faces on cubes with it.