test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Romulus Blah Blah

thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
So I finally get to New Romulus in the Live server and I have to sit through 5 minutes of blah blah?

I don't remember it being this long on Tribble?

Kudos to Voice Talent, but can we ESC out of blah blahs please?

It's as bad as SWTOR.
Post edited by thlaylierah on

Comments

• interestedguyinterestedguy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I am going to somewhat second this. I thought D'Tan's speech was OK as far as length goes, but then the other guy went on a speech as well. It is nice to set the scene, and since it was a whole new area and kind of a big thing game lore wise I think it was appropriate. At the same time, developing an "Esc" key option to end cut scenes, as well as a option to re watch them if you accidentally hit esc would be a nice feature. Some people really like cut scenes and some people really hate them.
  • keysmachinekeysmachine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Blah blahs.. /lesigh

i wonder how popular a mmo would be if all they did was skip the story skip pretty much everything even travel and just spawn you in a large square room with rows of NPC's each with a quest to which after accepting it you would spawn in another square room with the required things you either need to collect or kill.

don't even put quest text in.. just say You are required to kill/collect X number of X

then after hitting max level give you a HORRAY message that flashes the screen like what happens when you win minesweeper and your character is deleted and you start all over again.

OP do you believe that would be the bestest mmo evar?

oh and for PVP just spawn everybody in the same square room all with equal gear and have them go at it until the last man is standing. simple. balanced and impossible to complain about.
    edited December 2012
    There is a big difference between story and cutscenes. When it goes to a cutscene, you dont do anything except watch. A lot of people, myself included, dont like this. I play games instead of watching TV because I want to do stuff. Having an option to quickly get through cut scenes is a lot different then getting rid story text a player can read through at their own pace.
  • yakumosmithyakumosmith Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    First viewing it's ok for length.

Having to go through it with all the alts...not so fun.

I appreciate the time and effort involved in the cut scenes so I do think it's something you should need to go through once. Perhaps a flag at account level when you've viewed it, so you can bypass with the alt army?
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, I want to reiterate that I actually enjoyed this cut scene. I think an esc key way to get out of cut scenes would be a good feature.
  • born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    In total i have over 20 alts - I have only visited New Romulus with 4 of them - this being one of the main reasons

after watching it 2 times - I just switched the brower to another window - to check some things on the internet and let it run in the background

stupid - it should let you bypass is
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Blah blahs.. /lesigh

i wonder how popular a mmo would be if all they did was skip the story skip pretty much everything even travel and just spawn you in a large square room with rows of NPC's each with a quest to which after accepting it you would spawn in another square room with the required things you either need to collect or kill.

don't even put quest text in.. just say You are required to kill/collect X number of X

then after hitting max level give you a HORRAY message that flashes the screen like what happens when you win minesweeper and your character is deleted and you start all over again.

OP do you believe that would be the bestest mmo evar?

oh and for PVP just spawn everybody in the same square room all with equal gear and have them go at it until the last man is standing. simple. balanced and impossible to complain about.

That would be the greatest MMO of all time... :eek:
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2012
    Contains 0 Cutscenes: Progress Quest
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I had to replay the Mountain Pass mission because of the bug, and it let me skip the cutscene at the shuttle by pressing spacebar.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • admiraljt#1430 admiraljt Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Contains 0 Cutscenes: Progress Quest

Your Dev skills are improving :D
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I would have liked a warning. I rather enjoy the cutscenes, and I almost missed it because I thought it would be a normal zone in.
  • curs0rcurs0r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It's as bad as SWTOR.

Let's not overstate the issue. Cut scenes are well and good for players that enjoy them. I avoid the missions that don't allow me to skip them. I never play mmos with sound so they're just a minute or two of twiddling my thumbs. Not that bad, but fairly annoying when repeated with a few alts.
    I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I feel the same as I feel I ma doing the Romulans work fro them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • cameltoe77cameltoe77 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    So I finally get to New Romulus in the Live server and I have to sit through 5 minutes of blah blah?

It's as bad as SWTOR.

Go farm epohhs ... make you feel better.
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited December 2012

It's as bad as SWTOR.

Whining about more voice acting and storyline? I mean no offense by this, but if you don't want storyline, what's the point of playing a trek game? Might as well go play some other generic shoot-em-up online rpg if you don't care for context or storyline. We need some background so that we understand what's going on, and if you don't get that, there's no meaning behind what we're playing. However, I do agree that there should be a cutscence skip option for players who have played through it more than once. That's a different issue, though.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • dtoxukdtoxuk Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Cannot believe someone is complaining about cut-scenes. I guess i have to take the complaints around here with a grain of salt from now on.

:rolleyes: