test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

iPhone App

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hi,

I would like to see an iPhone App for Star Trek Online; in particular so that I can keep up with my Duty Officers while I'm away.

What's the possibility of doing something like this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    The possibility is there, yes, but the likelihood of it happening soon? Unlikely. World of Warcraft only in the last year has implemented the ability to work the Auction House remotely, and the game just celebrated it's seventh year anniversary. Coding something of that nature is innately complex, then tack on the fact that each sector block, exploration block, star system, etc. has its own "Current Sector" mission list, it makes things that much more difficult to code for remote DOFFery. Because of that, if they did do a remote system for DOFFing, you likely wouldn't be able to handle assignments outside of your last login point + current shipboard assignments. Granted, I'd be on board with being able to handle my DOFFing while on lunch at work and the like, but the reality is that, it's just unlikely we'll see something of this nature anytime in the near future.
    edited January 2012
    Actually Duty officers is one ofthe many things that Cryptic could update the website (and maybe smartphone apps) to use...

Blizzard are doing a lot of this via the Armory for WoW, and other MMO's are slowly following suit and Cryptic could jump on this to add immersion for the game
    edited January 2012
    Fijura wrote: »
    Hi,

I would like to see an iPhone App for Star Trek Online; in particular so that I can keep up with my Duty Officers while I'm away.

Fully support!
    But need for iPad :rolleyes:
    edited January 2012
    Web based would be ok, but as someone recently said in another thread on this same subject - discerning users want a Droid based App for this :D
    edited January 2012
    ZeroIce wrote:
    Web based would be ok, but as someone recently said in another thread on this same subject - discerning users want a Droid based App for this :D

Actually if its a HTML5 web app it wouldn;t matter if you use Android, iOS or whatever, all could use it
    edited January 2012
    I believe this is very possible, may be with some unique but not OP assignments related to your real world location, I've been toying with some UI mockups myself
    edited January 2012
    I too would love to see an iPhone/Android/Blackberry(I can dream can't I) app that let us manage the non-ground/space aspects of STO. I'm talking Duty Officers, Dilithium Exchange, Banks, The Exchange, etc.

And may I offer a name suggestion: Tricorder ;)
    edited January 2012
    One of the Devs- I'm going to blame Gozer- said they would love to do it, but have issues with licensing and getting permission from CBS. There may also be technical issues because the missions that are available are based on your location. I personally would love to see an app.
    edited January 2012
    Fijura wrote: »
    Hi,

Awesome idea..
    edited January 2012
    if they did do this it would be nice to also be able to access the replicator so we can create commodities that are required for the missions. An option to transwarp to another sector in order to change available assignments might also be a great addition.
    edited January 2012
    I would like to see this as well, though i dont play nearly as much as when subscribed this would be a welcome feature.
  • fijurawdfijurawd Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hi,

Developing a web app, they could even subcontract the work out to a reputable web firm like Fijura Perth Web Design! ;)
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Seriously guys... use the search feature. There is between 1-6 new threads a month asking for a doff phone app. It MIGHT happen, but not for a long time. The same for a poker minigame.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    kyeto13 wrote: »
    Seriously guys... use the search feature. There is between 1-6 new threads a month asking for a doff phone app. It MIGHT happen, but not for a long time. The same for a poker minigame.

Uhh, that seems to be what the poster above you did, this is a 5 month old necroed thread.
  • sycrussycrus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I got a solution for the location assiments :you got a map view (only map NOT space view). Where you can set courses using the auto pilot function you cant enter systems ( or maybe just a few like sol) and the normal transwarp ability can be used fine here. And don't forget the assignments button

EDIT: This thread has been closed due to being a "necro" thread. Remember, if a thread has not been posted to in over 30 days, please start a new thread to discuss a topic :) Thanks! ~BranFlakes
This discussion has been closed.