princedimwitprincedimwit Member Posts: 230 Arc User
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by princedimwit on

Comments

• Options
    curs0rcurs0r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Congratulations, I don't.
    I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Missions. They're the bane of my gameplay life. All the back and fourth, do this, do that - every little thing they can think for me to do, they'll have me do.

Go to the promenade, go to Quarks, go upstairs, go back to the promenade, go back to Quarks so on and so on ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Then you've got NPCs asking to do do still - find me some land, find me a bottle of kanar, warp to Deep Space Nine to get me a jumja stick... WTF?

If you want me to do missions, have me do missions, don't have me babysit or some TRIBBLE.

There should be more of a effort to get player to use diplomacy and use their words to get out of fights. IMO, it's what Starfleet is all about: Avoiding conflicts.

And those stupid little puzzles and stuff. I hate those!

Oh, and if NPC enemies are tougher at higher ranks, why did the Tellerite admiral get killed by one blow of a Jem'hadar blade? No shield, no armor I'm guessing?

Some of the little tidbits they feed you during load screens...Data became captain of the Enterprise-E in 2380-something? Excuse me? When did this happen? A while ago, someone told me that we can't have any number registry because in the Trek canon, all the sub-90000 numbers are already taken. Well, non-canon stuff like this makes me wonder if they're just not letting us have numbers just to be difficult.

Why can't we color the starship any color? All pink or all bronze? Why can't we change the color of the ship's engine blooms? Why can't we have the ability at some point to put a sovereign class hull on a saber saucer? Mix n' match!

Why in the future does everyone have to still be fighting? Why can't the Romulans be friendly like the Klingons in Next Gen.? Speaking of the Klingons...why are they hostile again? Come on!

Kurland as captain of DS9??? That whiny little so and so who wanted to run away?

Sure, these are just little grips and stuff that doesn't sit right with me and I'm just ranting
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    beerstickmanbeerstickman Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Might wanna ditch the gloves..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Didnt you just make a post called "I love this game?"
    *facepalms
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Didnt you just make a post called "I love this game?"
    *facepalms

a facepalm over something that's in jest?

kay...

I love the game because of the eyecandy. I hate the game because of the issues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I hate it when I'm in a space battle and I click my powers and it won't register. I have to go back and click it again. This is especially true in a Romulan DSE when I spawn right in the middle of 7 capital ships. I need to get my defenses up in a hurry so I go clicking on everything I have that gives me an advantage. Most of them will activate but there might be three or four I have to click again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    herbie1966herbie1966 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'd rather stare at my Fiancee... She's REAL.

And a Lot More Accessible. :P
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    a facepalm over something that's in jest?

kay...

Apparentley, a MOD felt the same way, as he merged both of your posts..
    *doublefacepalms
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    saborethsaboreth Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    That's how MMOs are, unfortunately. None of them that I know of has ever broken the grinding formula, or the "go here and collect this" sort of noise. It's a necessary evil in the genre these days. As it is, STO is the most enjoyable MMO I've done, and I've done quite a few. I'm pleased with it enough to keep my subscription up for 500 days now (just got the award) without feeling I've wasted a cent. (I've also been busy in the C-store too).

It really all boils down on what you want from the game and what your expectations are. Some people can roll with our flavor of the grind, some people can't. There's nothing wrong with the latter. If they don't feel it's their cup of tea, no harm, no foul. But this sort of structure is the most common MMO structure on the planet. I've seen the same complaints in forums for WoW, DCUO, LotR, City of Heroes (RIP), SWTOR, and even the Matrix Online when it was still around. It's just What Is.

Meanwhile, in the 500 days I've played the game, the thing has exploded with content. Duty officers didnt even exist, the interior of your ship was just for show, we didn't have nearly so many STFs, and so on. There's a long list of changes and improvements I've been very pleased with and it's personally kept me in the game - based on my personal tastes and what I hope to see. Again, your mileage my vary.

Ultimately, what keeps me coming back overall? THe friends I have on the game who all stick it out, too. Theyh're worth logging in for every day of the week.

Randall Tigella@Saboreth
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    and I hate being timed out while waiting on a load screen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Id chill out about it if I were you
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Missions. They're the bane of my gameplay life. All the back and fourth, do this, do that - every little thing they can think for me to do, they'll have me do.

Go to the promenade, go to Quarks, go upstairs, go back to the promenade, go back to Quarks so on and so on ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Then you've got NPCs asking to do do still - find me some land, find me a bottle of kanar, warp to Deep Space Nine to get me a jumja stick... WTF?

If you want me to do missions, have me do missions, don't have me babysit or some TRIBBLE.

Agreed. That's what New Romulus is: lots running around pressing F. Boo.
    There should be more of a effort to get player to use diplomacy and use their words to get out of fights. IMO, it's what Starfleet is all about: Avoiding conflicts.

And those stupid little puzzles and stuff. I hate those!

Cryptic put those puzzles and stuff (not entirely sure which stuff you're referring to specifically though) in the game to address the issue of "all combat, all the time!" What would you do to make gameplay use less combat, more diplomacy? Because it is needed.
    Some of the little tidbits they feed you during load screens...Data became captain of the Enterprise-E in 2380-something? Excuse me? When did this happen? A while ago, someone told me that we can't have any number registry because in the Trek canon, all the sub-90000 numbers are already taken. Well, non-canon stuff like this makes me wonder if they're just not letting us have numbers just to be difficult.

Why can't we color the starship any color? All pink or all bronze? Why can't we change the color of the ship's engine blooms? Why can't we have the ability at some point to put a sovereign class hull on a saber saucer? Mix n' match!

If you read the Countdown comics, prequels to the 2009 movie, you would see that Data was indeed the captain of the Enterprise. The Path to 2409, which was posted on the website, and is now available on the Wiki or at Starfleet Academy, explains more. And it's all as "canon" as possible, since CBS has to approve every little thing. Even if CBS didn't have to approve it, literally everything that happens in STO is "non-canon," because it doesn't happen in one of the official TV series.

Same thing goes for the ship colors - CBS has certain restrictions in place. I'd have to go hunting for a bit, but there was a quote from DStahl a while back noting that CBS even had a say in what the turbloift doors look like.

I agree that more hull freedom would be nice, but allowing complete kitbashes wouldn't be attractive. Someone suggested in another thread a "nacelles" costume pack, that people could get from the C Store and be given some cool new nacelles to place on any ship. Things like that I would support.
    Why in the future does everyone have to still be fighting? Why can't the Romulans be friendly like the Klingons in Next Gen.? Speaking of the Klingons...why are they hostile again? Come on!

The Romulans are friendly. Some of them. Others aren't. As for the Klingons - read the Path to 2409.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Not really sure what the canon issue is there. "Data" is B-4 with Data's memory engrams; remember that last scene in Nemesis? As for the registries, just as the TOS-era ships usually had ~1000 numbers and the TNG-era ships had ~70000 numbers, STO-era ships usually have ~90000 numbers.

Read the Path to 2409. It did wonders for me when I started the game. That is, before Cryptic took it off the website... :confused:
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 924 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Not really sure what the canon issue is there. "Data" is B-4 with Data's memory engrams; remember that last scene in Nemesis? As for the registries, just as the TOS-era ships usually had ~1000 numbers and the TNG-era ships had ~70000 numbers, STO-era ships usually have ~90000 numbers.

Read the Path to 2409. It did wonders for me when I started the game. That is, before Cryptic took it off the website... :confused:

I still have the STO-based paperback book, "The Needs of the Many". It's sitting on my desk, in fact. Has the entire "Path to 2409" in the back.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • Options
    dwadsdwaddwadsdwad Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The way that you are always treated as a lackey regardless of what the npc's rank is (sometimes they are lower rank, sometimes its even your own officers!) has been one of my most disliked parts of the game.

That said once you get to max level and start the endless STF grind you obviously don't have to deal with the imbiciles anymore.

Then of course they release new content such as the new romulas system where apparantly running around watering plants is something fit for a vice admira/lieutenant general.

You can send your duty officers off to raid ships, trade with other factions and craft consumables but as soon as it comes to watering a plant apparantly your the only one able to undertake it.
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Plant watering is Definately RA work
    Live long and Prosper