test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will there be plans to update older ship models to be on par with Vesta?

captainwallis84captainwallis84 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
I've been thinking about this alot recently and noticed that since the Odyssey and Vesta ships, STO's ship models are starting to out-look older STO ship models, in terms of detail.

The Vesta class is gorgeous in terms of detail and so is the Odyssey. As much as I love these ships (and have them both), I always fly my Galaxy class and think to my self "Gee...My Galaxy class would look sweet with a unique material made specificley for the Galaxy, like the Vesta".

My main point being, now we have better looking ship models, will the ship team update older models and give us some new materials to make our ships look on par with the new ones, or give us more customization with them. IE: change registry font colour, more decals etc.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by captainwallis84 on

Comments

• Options
    thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    JamJamz's work is pretty awesome, and it would be great if he could go back and re-do some of the older ships.

But he's just one guy, and he's admitted to re-doing a lot of the older NPC ships on top of creating new ships. His plate is pretty full pretty much all the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    JamJamz! I beg of you! My Dreadnought needs to be prettified!! :(
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Would be nice to know that our cannon ships though would get a nice one off makeover at some point. Even if its just some more ship material types. We need more ship customization. My galaxy class would look sweet with a proper tng hull making makeover.

Would also like a new material for my t2 connie too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited November 2012
    jam jamz didnt do the vesta :p commander miller did
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Aside from whether or not the devs have time and the desire to update older ships, it may also depend on CBS (I assume they own the rights to Star Trek mostly).

Example:

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=769201
    Q: (thmichael) Are you going to implement the Ambassador Class at some point? And would it be possible to implement the Old Constitution Class for higher ranks?

Dstahl: Yes. The Ambassador class is coming in 2013. CBS is still pretty adamant about the Old Connie not being an end game ship, but you never know what can happen as time rolls by.

To be honest I feel cheated finding out the USS Enterprise (TOS) constitution light cruiser didn't scale with character level and it was pretty damn useless once you reach level 10 and get your first free ship. The only thing it comes with in terms of equipment are blue phaser beam arrays that do scale with level and have the original series sound effects, but after about 2 minutes it becomes really annoying. I payed real money for Zen that I used to get the classic 1701 style ship because I like the look. Tried it out on my Vice Admiral once and it took forever to kill anything and I struggled to stay alive. :(
  • Options
    matridunadan1matridunadan1 Member Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Get real. They already got our money for the older ships, so they have absolutely no incentive to keep us happy and/or satisfied.

Go ahead, Cryptic/PWE: Prove me wrong. I dare you.
  • Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Aaaand the profit in doing this is..?
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • Options
    talgeezetalgeeze Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If they could fix some ship textures (like on the Sovereign saucer) and type 2 / 6 deflector extures, that would be a nice start.
  • Options
    darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited November 2012
    Despite what the devs say, they only update textures to ships they will make (or extra) money on.

The same happened with the bug, d'kora and the galor. They only got updated ahead of appearing in lockboxes....
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    A similar topic was replied to by CaptJamJamz only this morning. He begs to differ.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=6827231&postcount=18
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    psiameese wrote: »
    A similar topic was replied to by CaptJamJamz only this morning. He begs to differ.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=6827231&postcount=18

Um yeahhhh. Lots of talk about updating *NPC* ships and of course they wouldn't charge us for a graphical update on ships we can't even use. But I believe the OP was referring to PLAYER ships as well and the post you refer to makes almost no mention of this and constantly mentions *NPC* ships being updated to look better. So I would say it's a safe bet they won't update older models on PLAYER ships for free, and that they'll find some way to charge us for it like making it into a mirror ship and cramming it into another friggen lockbox. :P
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    In time and when the time, I'm sure they will enhance the older ship models.

New people may not know, but when CapnLogan took over as "ship councelor", he redid the Galaxy and a couple of other ships and gave them massive visual overhauls. (I'm sure there are pictures with the V1 Galaxy Graphic somewhere).

And with the link to JJ's post about ship materials being phased out, one material I would love to see (and I'm sure many of you as well) would be an Aztec hull material.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    In time and when the time, I'm sure they will enhance the older ship models.

New people may not know, but when CapnLogan took over as "ship councelor", he redid the Galaxy and a couple of other ships and gave them massive visual overhauls. (I'm sure there are pictures with the V1 Galaxy Graphic somewhere).

And with the link to JJ's post about ship materials being phased out, one material I would love to see (and I'm sure many of you as well) would be an Aztec hull material.

Im 100% with you on this one mate. We need a proper Aztech hull material for all ships. The new fleet material (Unique) sort of has this, but it has a blue tint to it, and looks odd on certain federation ships.

We need a proper grey/white aztech hull material, that matches the ships from the tv show and movies. And would be nice to have an alternate fleet material that was white in colour (like type 6), but with an aztech design and alternate deflector. The Galaxy class would look sweet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Ive just read the post fro jam jams and found it quite interesting. Hopefull we may get new alternate ship materials in the future anyhow. I think the old ones (well for the federation at least), they all need an update.

I love all the klingon ship materials, and they look near close to cannon klingon ship materials seen in the movies. The feds however have about 2 that i like. The type two and type 6 (which you can only get with the cstore ships).

The rest arnt very...well...starfleet. I now use the new fleet material as its as close to the aztech hull design that sto has at the moment. Type 4 (the black one)...whats that all about. Makes the fed ships look horrid. This is my own opinion by the way, as i have noticed alot of sto players use the type 4 material.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I would just absolutely love the proper looks on the Constitution Refit and the Miranda. Get rid of those blasted Phaser stips and put the old school dual banks on them. Also, remove the shoe-horned deflector from the Miranda and Centaur.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    scififan78 wrote: »
    I would just absolutely love the proper looks on the Constitution Refit and the Miranda. Get rid of those blasted Phaser stips and put the old school dual banks on them. Also, remove the shoe-horned deflector from the Miranda and Centaur.

I agree. These two ships have had nothing modified or altered since there release. The connie may have had the geo altered slightly, but i know the mirander and centaur have been left.

I know its only a small gripe, but the galaxy class deflector really bugs me. Its not just a plain texture. It needs modeld geo on it. At least then nomater which material you choose, you always have the same "cannon" deflector.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Still no dev responses on either a TNG bundle pack since it was hinted at in the last ask cryptic, and no reply on this thread about upgrading old ships. Im aware the devs are busy, but again...it only takes a few seconds to answer if its a yes,no or a maybe. Im willing to pay money and invest in this game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]