test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 7 Dev Blog #22

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited December 2012 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Lead Content Designer Scott "Goatshark" Shicoff shares details about the eleventh Starbase Featured Project in this entry of the Season 7 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• starcommando101starcommando101 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This is what I'm waiting for!
    The Average PvP player
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1) Teamwork and timing is #1
    2) You cannot "Kirk It" in every ship
    3) You are going to die, just get back up
  • commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    [Combat (Fleet)] Cryptic Crits (200000) Dilithium to Small Fleets with Starbase Featured Project

Kidding aside, while many of these do look nice I still maintain that 200,000 dilithium is a very steep price for just a cosmetic upgrade that players should be able to do themselves with their fleet bases.

Will future fleet projects have say a utility to them (i.e. bloodwine toast, wandering NPCs etc...) or are they just going to remain cosmetic?

Will we ever have the ability to customize our starbase interiors or will every fleet's look exactly the same?

Will the prices of these featured projects be reduced, especially since you are hitting us with multiple ones now?

I mean when you break these down into what Zen costs (I know the market fluctuates) this comes to a cash equivalent of ~$13.00 bucks per fleet. No matter how you get the dilithium (grinded for time or purchased) or how many people contribute (10 or 100) it still holds the same approximate cash value per fleet. To me, "decorations" do not really provide much value.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    dat KDF wall :cool:
  • ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    "Klingons will acquire weapon trophies, a floor logo and a special wall mural, while mannequins displaying historical uniforms will appear for members of Starfleet."

so starfleet will get dolls, and KDF the cool stuff?

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    What about the uniform that the crew of the Kelvin is seen wearing in the last Star Trek movie? It's canon in the prime universe since they were wearing it before the timeline split.
  • mattmiraclemattmiracle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    What about the uniform that the crew of the Kelvin is seen wearing in the last Star Trek movie? It's canon in the prime universe since they were wearing it before the timeline split.

Anything from the 2009 movie is "off limits" even if it happened before the timeline split. Cryptic has license to all (sorry, mostly all) "CBS" Star Trek assets which includes everything from the TOS through Nemesis (little fuzzy on TAS).

Anything from the 2009 Star Trek movie and the one coming next year are property of "Paramount" and therefore, Cryptic doesn't have the license for it.
    Matt Miracle

Fleet Commander in Chief [Rank 7] for Covenant of Honor; a FED T5 Starbase
    House Leader [Rank 7] for Honorable House of Mor'gue; a KDF T3 Starbase
    Find us at CovenantofHonor.com.  My Twitter handle; @jmattmiracle
  • odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    All the movies are property of Paramount as far as I understand it. Also considering the game is following the Romulus blowing up story in the last Star Trek movie as well as having a Quinto voiceover, it doesn't seem like the last movie is off limits.
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Canon, but perhaps not licensed.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I think that eventually all SB's will need an intervention from one of those hoarding shows. We'll have to clear a footpath from the transporter pad to the ship vendor every time we beam in because every square inch will be covered with art, dog pets, mannequins, blob pets, flying pets, ship models, dance floors, funiture, knick-knacks, chochskis, orion girls, memorabilia, trophies, large hypo stacks, statues, self-sealing stem bolts, gold pressed latinum piles, tribbles...
    edited November 2012
    All the movies are property of Paramount as far as I understand it. Also considering the game is following the Romulus blowing up story in the last Star Trek movie as well as having a Quinto voiceover, it doesn't seem like the last movie is off limits.

Think of it this way. CBS retains the rights for the "prime" timeline on everything filmed and the story of Romulas' destruction.

Paramount has rights to anything in the new timeline for the current (2009 +) movies.

While the 2009 movie showed the Kelvin uniforms, all art assets (including Uniforms, Bridges, ships, etc) belong to the Paramount license for Star Trek. So canon can only go so far before license (and lawyers) take over.
    Matt Miracle

• dradymdradym Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    the whole licensing stuff is TRIBBLE...someone awesome should just buy all the rights and never split them up again...as long as its NOT disney...

BUT, the new movies arent the same, and could be kept seperate, and named star trek 2 universe or something more zazzy.

anyways, back on topic...i was wondering what those platforms were for
  • mattmiraclemattmiracle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    dradym wrote: »
    the whole licensing stuff is TRIBBLE

Think this is bad, try dealing with Microsoft Licensing for a living.

Back on topic too,

Yes, I have been wondering what those circular disks were for. I was wondering if they were personal cryo tubes or something like that. :)
    Matt Miracle

• jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    edited November 2012
  • kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    What good is an awesome fleet hub if it is DESERTED all the time. Even in large fleets, the starbases are deserted most of the time, as STO closes the fleet starbase-instance as soon as you log out, therefore you will spawn at that location you've been at BEFORE entering your base.

Please Cryptic, do NOT prevent the awesome fleet starbases from becoming the social zones they should be! Save the instances, so people don't get kicked off the base after logging out.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Think of it this way. CBS retains the rights for the "prime" timeline on everything filmed and the story of Romulas' destruction.

Paramount has rights to anything in the new timeline for the current (2009 +) movies.

While the 2009 movie showed the Kelvin uniforms, all art assets (including Uniforms, Bridges, ships, etc) belong to the Paramount license for Star Trek. So canon can only go so far before license (and lawyers) take over.

There's no such thing as universes in licensing terms. It's by work.

Now, CBS probably has increased negotiating ability for Kelvin uniforms.

I see that the Voyager uniforms are missing.
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Fed uniform mannequins ...? Not really my cup of tea sorry
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It seems to me as if they have accidentally omitted the early DS9 and VOY era uniform between TNG and TNG Movie/Late DS9.
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    while i think the KDF project looks cool and all but the fed projects are a joke tbh , certainly not worth the 200k dilithium cryptic want for them
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    I really like these, I just wish the rest of my fleet weren't inactive so we could afford it.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 924 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    redricky wrote: »
    I think that eventually all SB's will need an intervention from one of those hoarding shows. We'll have to clear a footpath from the transporter pad to the ship vendor every time we beam in because every square inch will be covered with art, dog pets, mannequins, blob pets, flying pets, ship models, dance floors, funiture, knick-knacks, chochskis, orion girls, memorabilia, trophies, large hypo stacks, statues, self-sealing stem bolts, gold pressed latinum piles, tribbles...

And the tribbles will slowly crowd everything else out, until your starbase becomes one giant tribble breeding colony....or merely a giant tribble.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Not sure if Blog is Troll-post or not...:o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
    edited November 2012
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Heh, no.

Licensing covers a whole spectrum of things and since CBS and Paramount were once the same company the whole thing is "fuzzy" since when they separated things were split.

Considering Paramount did a "re-boot" of Star Trek they likely allowed CBS to retain the IP rights to previous series and movies but I doubt that extended to publishing rights and this is were things are get messy to who gets DVD and broadcasting rights.

CBS does not own the 2009 movie because it was after it separated from Paramount, all rights of Star Trek (2009) belong to Paramount.

Voyager used first season DS9 uniforms but the First DS9/VOY and the TNG Movies/Late DS9 uniforms are exactly the same except it swapped the colors on the shoulders and turtleneck and some minor changes.

This begs the question if you are going to add ALL variants of the same uniform, even the WoK uniform was used 3 times with alterations.

This is my point and exactly what I just said. In licensing terms, universes and characters aren't really owned by anybody. They are elements of discreet copyrighted works.

Now, you could have a handshake deal or exchange of cash for the Kelvin uniform designs, which would be a trademark or an element of the copyright for the 2009 film. And I think that could be negotiated because of how the companies might divy up the universes.

It's just that characters and universes are not legal entities, which is what I think we're both saying. You have designs, which are trademarks, and films/books which are covered by copyright. CBS would certainly have an in-universe argument for licensing or buying the Kelvin uniforms from Paramount but they don't own anything from the film.

Things we have in the game like the destruction of Hobus and mentions of Nero had to be negotiated through Paramount at some stage, because Paramount basically owns those events.

This is something that I find confuses a lot of fans. The events in the books are not owned by CBS directly either and so it may sometimes be in their interests to contradict the books.

I think fans tend to grasp that books aren't canon but have a harder time with the idea that printed resources aren't part of the property.

For instance, nobody should really be using Klingon words that weren't used onscreen or referencing anything from Klingon culture that comes from books, manuals, or resources. Not for canon reasons but for legal reasons. Without negotiating with Pocket anyway.

The problem this creates with Klingon and Romulan fans is that the majority of what defines the factions for them is not only "soft-canon" but is stuff which may have to be tossed entirely at some point for legal reasons. Try imagining going through the KDF as a writer and having to gut or intentionally contradict anything that doesn't come from a filmed episode. That is something that CBS has to be ready for as long as someone else, even a sister company, is the one publishing the books.
    edited November 2012
    And when I say increased negotiating ability, I mean that Paramount owns everything in the 2009 movie but CBS could say, effectively, that use of the Kelvin uniforms before the timeline split makes them something that is part of the implied backstory for the works that they own and then take that as a reason they'd be asking for Paramount to license or sell them that design.

And then Paramount's reps (which I believe are actually Abrams, Orci, and Kurtzman) might say to CBS Consumer Products' rep, "Technically, yes. The uniform from the moment the timeline split should be under both licenses and it doesn't step on our toes because that scene was set in the world of the works you own. Let's work out a business deal that grants you access."

And in the event of a real rift, the CBS person could say, "If you don't license it to us, we're going to say George Kirk never served aboard the Kelvin and give him a different uniform in our works."

And while Paramount licensing might ordinarily not care, because Orci and Kurtzman ARE designated with licensing approval powers and certain veto rights, they'd probably push for a deal to have congruity across works rather than have competing Star Trek brands that intentionally contradict one another.
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Just for clarity...

Link: CBS Television Studios
    CBS Television Studios (CTS) (formerly CBS Paramount Television, Desilu Productions, Paramount Television, among other companies) is an American television production/distribution company that was formed on January 17, 2006 by the CBS Corporation merging Paramount Television and CBS Productions. It is the television production arm of the CBS network (CBS Productions previously assumed such functions), and, alongside Warner Bros. Television, it is also the television production arm of The CW Television Network (in which CBS has a 50% ownership stake).

Link: Paramount Television
    Paramount Television was an American television production/distribution company that was active from January 1, 1968 through August 27, 2006. Most of this time was as the television arm of the Paramount Pictures film studio. Its predecessor is Desilu Productions. Its successor is CBS Television Studios, formerly CBS Paramount Television.
    Paramount Television technically no longer exists as an independent company.

Link: See the copyright at the bottom of Star Trek Online's Homepage
    ? & ? 2012 CBS Studios Inc. All rights reserved. STAR TREK and related marks are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc.
    When it comes to Paramount Pictures, they deal with "Star Trek's" movie division.

"Star Trek's" television division = CBS Studios.
    "Star Trek's" movie division = Paramount Pictures.
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    You guys keep saving me tons of dilithium on my fed side SB because the Fed projects are consistently unappealing and uninspired, while the KDF side are consistently fantastic.

Would it be too much to ask the artists doing this to try and make the Fed side stuff at least a little impressive looking?
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Would it be too much to ask the artists doing this to try and make the Fed side stuff at least a little impressive looking?

lol :) I think they're doing it on purpose with the bases so the KDF could at least have something to brag about ;)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I just last week single handedly finished the project that removes the blast shields from the windows of the starbase, and the one I had queued after that has started automatically (the one that gives you the conference table). These are about the only two featured projects I've been remotely interested in, and since I have to single handedly cough up 200,000 Dilithium for each, I think the conference room will be the last such addition, at least until Cryptic finally brings in some kind of scaling requirements based on how many members a fleet has. Doing the workload of 25 people is a real stretch. XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'd pay 20ok dil for an extra thunderd1ck phaser cannon! Something functional ffs!!!
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    While turning my starbase into a department store is kind of lame, that mural is all kinds of kickassery. :cool: