test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Well Done

stevehalestevehale Member Posts: 437
edited November 2012 in PvP Gameplay
I've been thinking about the way Cryptic worked mission cool downs and costs on the new reputation systems. After about a week of watching and listening to feedback they reduced the cool downs (with more reductions to come) and even made some of the assignments more affordable. Basically, they created something new in a state that could be considered somewhat cumbersome or a little too demanding, paid attention, and made adjustments to make things nicer.

That's the kind of basic development I'd really like to see applied to new powers, items, and abilities for PvP.

I think I understand the impulse to release new things in the c-store and make them as appealing as possible. A lot of times this seems to translate to "over powered". Unfortunately it happens at the cost of game balance and once something is released in such a state it's very difficult to reign things back in.

That's where all this nerf nonsense comes into play.

But if we could somehow convince the development team that they can release things in a more "bland" state, as long as it looks cool and fits canon the sales should follow. What's more, once data is collected it would be much more appealing to have to go back and boost a stat. I think everyone can appreciate a buff (if one is even deemed necessary) and you don't run the risk of pissing off people who already paid for the items.

Most importantly, new items can stop being so detrimental to game balance. I don't believe that stuff has to be over powered to be appealing. For a tangential example, the Quad Cannons would have been much more appealing, in my opinion, if they had been released as a console that maybe added a stat, but mainly just altered the appearance of whatever dual heavy cannon type a ship had equipped. That's not over powered or broken and it's very, very sexy.

For all of the complaining, I just wanted to express that I feel like the technique used to create, monitor and adjust the rep system would be a tremendous help in addressing PvP (and greater game play) concerns.
Post edited by stevehale on

Comments

• dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    i really like how projects are done the next day when i log in now. cutting the inputs in half was great too, i was burning through EC.

but there REALLY needs to be a way to cancel projects though, i had it freeze and glitch for a second when i tried to add something once, now im stuck building 2 mkx antiproton carbines in a row. needless to say, my keyboard was nearly sacrificed to the video game rage gods. so many damn stfs need to be done just to clear out that que, and now that character is WAY behind schedule for progression.

oh, and could you guys please stop saying the rep system is better then just getting random stf set drops? because it isn't. it was nearly impossible not to get the mk XI set of your choice extreamly quickly, and then from occupational stfs get a set of mkXII too, that you don't even really need. theres a hundred times more resources involved now. thats not to say the rep system isnt a very well done new aspect to the game in its own right though. but some of those passives may need toning down a bit.
  • stevehalestevehale Member Posts: 437
    edited November 2012
    I could have sworn I read that they were looking into a means of dropping projects. Who knows how long it'll take, but it's a great idea too.
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I am enjoying the reputation system quite a bit. Got myself another SB :) just so I could run stuff again at my own pace again. Kept missing out on stuff.

I enjoy that the RM and OM are quite sufficient to complete projects relatively easy, and the rewards are quite high.

I also enjoy that the CD's are just long enough for me to enjoy all aspects of the game, like running my doff missions, while I am waiting on the queues.

DStahl also mentioned that the adventure zones have been developed in such a way that Foundry missions can be unlocked through doors. That opens a whole new chapter in the evolution of FE in my opinion, and gives authors the opportunity to really make STO come alive.

After the recent PvP Bootcamp conference call, I am feeling very hopeful about the future.
  • upyournacelles2upyournacelles2 Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    stevehale wrote: »
    Most importantly, new items can stop being so detrimental to game balance. I don't believe that stuff has to be over powered to be appealing. For a tangential example, the Quad Cannons would have been much more appealing, in my opinion, if they had been released as a console that maybe added a stat, but mainly just altered the appearance of whatever dual heavy cannon type a ship had equipped. That's not over powered or broken and it's very, very sexy.

For that matter, just a c-store item that allowed you to change the color and sounds of your energy weapons without changing a thing about the specs of it would have been better than a pay2win item that affects balance. How many in this game pay for simple costumes to prance around in? Having my own colored beams and being able to pick a custom sound for them would have been great
  • broken1981broken1981 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    For that matter, just a c-store item that allowed you to change the color and sounds of your energy weapons without changing a thing about the specs of it would have been better than a pay2win item that affects balance. How many in this game pay for simple costumes to prance around in? Having my own colored beams and being able to pick a custom sound for them would have been great

there was a time when u could change the color of beams. they stoped that i think because of cbs?

but really the quads should have been accx2 critd or crith and should have just swaped to wep type. say i wanted to use ap the quads should turn into ap. phaser or tet.
    I can throw [Fireworks] at you and hope you catch on fire and burn to death lol
  • warlordsobwarlordsob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    stevehale wrote: »
    I've been thinking about the way Cryptic worked mission cool downs and costs on the new reputation systems. After about a week of watching and listening to feedback they reduced the cool downs (with more reductions to come) and even made some of the assignments more affordable. Basically, they created something new in a state that could be considered somewhat cumbersome or a little too demanding, paid attention, and made adjustments to make things nicer.

That's the kind of basic development I'd really like to see applied to new powers, items, and abilities for PvP.

I think I understand the impulse to release new things in the c-store and make them as appealing as possible. A lot of times this seems to translate to "over powered". Unfortunately it happens at the cost of game balance and once something is released in such a state it's very difficult to reign things back in.

That's where all this nerf nonsense comes into play.

But if we could somehow convince the development team that they can release things in a more "bland" state, as long as it looks cool and fits canon the sales should follow. What's more, once data is collected it would be much more appealing to have to go back and boost a stat. I think everyone can appreciate a buff (if one is even deemed necessary) and you don't run the risk of pissing off people who already paid for the items.

For all of the complaining, I just wanted to express that I feel like the technique used to create, monitor and adjust the rep system would be a tremendous help in addressing PvP (and greater game play) concerns.

hehe they put out this over the top grinding, resource sink and planed for everyone to get pissed. Then they work it to be about half the grinding resource sink and boooooom everyone happy. With a new "resource sink"
  • stevehalestevehale Member Posts: 437
    edited November 2012
    Oh certainly. I'm just think that they could apply a similar approach to PvP related stuff. No one likes a nerf, so release new stuff that is flashy and pretty but weak in the grand scheme of things. People will be irritated that something new is so lackluster but after a week or a month of data collection they could start making small upward adjustments.

In the end, people might be less likely to hold out on making a particular purchase for fear of an impending nerf. If something new is too weak and it has to take a while to get an adjustment then the game isn't made unplayable or unfun for that time.

The truth is that there are just so many things we could obtain through the z-store that can enhance the experience without hindering game play. I really wish more time would be spent there (after fixing some of the existing problems).
  • thishorizonthishorizon Member Posts: 1,158
    edited November 2012
    sorry hale,

i can't give these guys cred for anything right now. there are a few spots where i almost want too though.

just.

• upyournacelles2upyournacelles2 Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    sorry hale,

i can't give these guys cred for anything right now. there are a few spots where i almost want too though.

just.

lol...we all go through this phase at some point in our love/hate relationship of this game. I was giving husanack a hard time about a i<3 thread he started a couple of months ago. A few months before that, I was made fun of about a thread I started saying thanks for some bone they threw to us that was pvp related. Fact is, we love sto pvp at its core, if not for what it's turned into, and its the reason why the majority of us are still here. If it was just another game to us, most of us would be long gone.
  • thishorizonthishorizon Member Posts: 1,158
    edited November 2012
    i want it to be goooooooood!

it could be too.

so sad.