test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rotate The Images

hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
So, one thing is clear, from the fact that this thread ...

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=438571

... is at 44 pages and over 430 responses.

What is clear is that opinions vary.
Shocking, I know, right, but being realistic, there are going to people who find the "sexy" T'TRIBBLE sort of image attractive, there are going to be people who want something more iconoic, there are people who are going to want silly.

My point is this.

One idea sticks out in that thread, and has probably gotten lost because of 400+ responses of borderline behavior on all sides. That idea is ...

ROTATE THE FRONT PAGE IMAGE

Since they should be trying to appeal to a broad customer base, wouldn't rotating the front page image between all the MANY that they have to choose from on an every couple of days , or every week basis. Maybe include some of the winners of Brandon's Art Challenges if they are good enough. Maybe put it on a rotating or random , every time you come to the page its one of many possible ... i don't know.

I just know that , I don't even remember who said it first , but "ROTATE THE IMAGES" is a good freaking idea.

Here are some that I suggest

http://www.desktopextreme.com/photos/Star_Trek_Online_Widescreen_3182010101722PM968.jpg

http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/www/pictures/1337299485754.jpg

http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/www/pictures/1343407078592.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media/2012/09/fed-tactical-resized.jpg

Post all your ideas for images to rotate here.

Let's stop fighting about the image, and combine our ideas behind one idea, the "rotate the images" idea, that can make us all happy.

I mean, obviously from my sig, I have an opinion, doesn't mean I can't agree that working together to come up with an everybody wins solution is a better approach.

And hopefully more Trek in spirit.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    alnakaralnakar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If it makes you feel any better, they're still using the handsome phaser guy as the icon in Steam.
    - LTS since shortly before the F2P announcement, and very happy about it.
  • Options
    apocalypsex99apocalypsex99 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    hippiejon wrote: »

She looks pretty calm for being on a ship that seems to be on fire in the background :eek:
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yeah, I like this idea. It's boring seeing the same picture constantly.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    RotateTrek.jpg

Done.

The term you're looking for is 'alternate' or 'add a selection of images to a daily rotation'.
  • Options
    archimedes22archimedes22 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    just a thought for the man who created the game. It's all about money. Most of the people who play the game are men. want more players. Make it sexy.
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Its always suprised me that they havent made the website more dynamic like this anyway.

Gets my vote!
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    lmrtlmrt Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    just a thought for the man who created the game. It's all about money. Most of the people who play the game are men. want more players. Make it sexy.

I AM a man and i love ladies, but i also love Star Trek, and i think that the new bosomed up Romulan/Vulcan model they use in the front page is misogynistic and does not fit in here.
    Yuxtapuestoelmono, not "Lmrt"
  • Options
    aspheasphe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    lmrt wrote: »
    I AM a man and i love ladies, but i also love Star Trek, and i think that the new bosomed up Romulan/Vulcan model they use in the front page is misogynistic and does not fit in here.

Well said, the first time I saw it, I couldn't help but compare it to the ad campaign that Evony ran/runs. I hope this isn't a portent of STO's future.
  • Options
    cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    lmrt wrote: »

It fits in perfectly. For all it's high ideals Star Trek has ALWAYS been misogynistic. From all the scantily clad doe-eyed over-emotional barely-functioning women Kirk bedded, to T'pols half naked goo covered peep show.
  • Options
    lmrtlmrt Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    cormoran wrote: »
    It fits in perfectly. For all it's high ideals Star Trek has ALWAYS been misogynistic. From all the scantily clad doe-eyed over-emotional barely-functioning women Kirk bedded, to T'pols half naked goo covered peep show.

TOS/TAS is not my thing, and ENT i have not seen it completely, i have had looong discussions with my mother (fellow trekkie, she introduced me to ST), about kirk, lets just say, i prefer to think of Kirk as he was from TWOK on.
    Plus, it does not makes it any less wrong to my eyes.
    Yuxtapuestoelmono, not "Lmrt"
  • Options
    pveheropvehero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    hippiejon wrote: »
    ROTATE THE FRONT PAGE IMAGE

hah! you're just trying to get "hawt phaser girl" in a horizontal position! :D

"Rotate it! 90deg clockwise!!!"

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    She looks pretty calm for being on a ship that seems to be on fire in the background :eek:
    She's obviously a Vulcan (without her TRIBBLE hanging out).
    illcadia wrote: »
    RotateTrek.jpg

Done.
    Hah, I must admit. I chuckled.
    Oh but they could have gone a whole lot further.

You could have had a Bajoran woman, bent over a table (maybe Sisko's desk) with a Cardassian Male behind her and then have..... :rolleyes:

Does this game have a rating?

On a serious note though, it would be nice to have a collection of different images for a little variation of the home page. The thing is though, that the current one (Vulcan Boobed one) is there to specifically highlight Season 7.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Vulcan women do not have breast implants (illogical)
    this image is degrading to women AND Vulcans

and don't try claiming its a Romulan because Romulan women would shoot you if you proposed that neck line
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    pveheropvehero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    Vulcan women do not have breast implants (illogical)

People who don't tolerate women to show even this much skin are opressive and controlling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    If a real Vulcan woman walked into Cryptic Studios right now and saw that picture, at most all she'd do is raise her eyebrow in an unimpressed (or curious) manner and then leave. ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    And people who force Vulcan women into low cut tops are racially oppressive and probably hormonally challenged

Women in a Military unit do not dress like this (and yes starfleet is a military unit)

its impractical , bad for discipline and perverse

oh and if it were a man in a similar outfit I would put him on a charge for being out of uniform
    AND looking like a jerk
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Maybe the Vulcan woman in the picture is just hot?

...in the sense that she's heating up rather than being sexually pleasing.

Open the top, let some air in.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Anywhere a Vulcan would be "hot" she would be wearing a full environmental suit

frankly this is an Elf not a vulcan
    straight out of the pages of Dragon magazine (anyone old enough to remember that)
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I find the new image more accurately reflects the player characters. You know, about 70% female with physics defying proportions? They're just trying to accurately represent what you find in game. (Honestly, K'Leavage is tame compared to many PCs you see running around)

The problem with the image isn't that it happens to show a little boob. The problem is that it's a classic objectifying image of a woman bent into an odd and maybe even impossible position in order to show off her TRIBBLE and buttocks simultaneously. Reference: basically all comic book and fantasy art since ever.

Star Trek has always been about being progressive and treating women with respect, despite some reavealing outfits (I love the bit in ENT about the Orion women actually being in charge). I do not agree with slapping Seven of Nine and T'Pol into skin tight catsuits for no other reason than "teehee, boobies". That is not sensible clothing for the work they're doing, nor does anyone else around them wear anything similar (B'Elanna, Hoshi, etc). This new image is basically the same thing, and done for the same reasons.

Comparing to TOS isn't exactly fair. All the women in TOS wore at least the miniskirt uniform, and just putting a woman on the bridge (much less a black woman) was really pushing the limits of social acceptance in 1966. Remember, the original pilot was rejected partially because of putting Majel's character of "Number One" in a position of authority.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg