test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO, a heavily overpriced expensive game.

chaz200565chaz200565 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Vesta ships pack.= Overpriced.
All projects,personal,starbase and embassy.=Extremely Expensive.
Cost of projects then buying items after projects are done. Totally not fair.
The dilithium allowances are far too small,and we are forced to buy it,to get anywhere in this game.This is despite STO being a free game,so we are told.
Free game???? I think not.
It seems to me that the costs involved are getting worse,and it does not matter if a fleet is big or small. The prices generally are far too high.
I hope that Dan Stahl and Mr Branflakes themselves see this,and i hope they realise,that STO will lose people,as they will be priced out of this game.

This whole fleet idea was a big mistake,sadly there are many in fleets who don't bother contributing,and they sit back and do nothing most of the time,while others end up carrying them so to speak.
Personally if it were ever possible,i would run a fleet with just myself and duty officers as fleet staff. end result is more efficient progress and no arguements with other players in this game,about who contributes what and general costs etc.
Post edited by chaz200565 on

Comments

• aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited November 2012
    if it was so expensive like you say people wouldnt be paying, but they do..

i have all that and ive never spent any money on zen..

you do not have to pay for anything if you dont want to, this is why i like this game.
    all it takes is time and patience.

there are some f2p games that make you pay in the end.. either you get capped at a very low level or you cant do many of the fun things.. would you rather have that?
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • chikahirochikahiro Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    aarons9 wrote: »
    if it was so expensive like you say people wouldnt be paying, but they do..

i have all that and ive never spent any money on zen..

you do not have to pay for anything if you dont want to, this is why i like this game.
    all it takes is time and patience.

Yep!

Also, Fleets can look at their contribution leaderboards and REWARD FLEET MEMBERS ACCORDINGLY. In another game, when we needed group resources, I put a bounty up: 1x gave 1y reward up to z. Hey, it can work nicely!

My blog! Zen|Dilithium tracking on Thursdays
    http://samonmaui.blogspot.com
    As a lifetime member of STO, I officially became a financial liability as of April 2012 when compared to a subscriber.
  • darren0kitlordarren0kitlor Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Except the time investment for the mats required for most individual projects (reputation, doff) is way less than most alternate advancement systems.

The game is not free-to-play and everything can be gained in under one fortnight. It's free-to-play.

The advancement for non-guild projects is on par with the rates in WoW for endgame sets or EQ2/Age of Conan for alternate advancement.

One character can't (and shouldn't) be able to complete all systems in the game.

This is one of those issues that I really haven't seen eye-to-eye with most of the community but my impression is that everything I've really needed to be competitive has been free-of-charge (or available via exchange).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • admiralthorr360admiralthorr360 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I think Cryptic does what it can for money and in all cases it's not that bad; but when they're already selling Doff packs; up-pricing the doff grinding system is a bad move IMHO. I'll buy the ships, I'll buy the fleet mods, I'll buy the Doff packs, I'll buy the emotes and costumes + dilithium sometimes for fleet projects at times but to add another sink of dilithium; to doffs? Vicious and ruthless in my honest opinion at least... at it's current price it feels so.

Their ships? One time charge; you get to use it on any character you want so that's reasonable especially since you can use it on more than one. Be selective with your choices; be cunning.

I just don't feel anyone can be 'cunning' with the Doff grinding so over-priced.
  • luxchristianluxchristian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Welcome to F2P :-P It can be really expensive if you want everything as fast as possible. There are people who spent over 500$ on Lockboxes :rolleyes:
  • grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    alot of people will contribute comoditys and the like to the starbae stuff btu when it comes to putting in dilithium people avoid those as much as they cna like the plauge as dill generation atm is painful and the 8k daily cap hurts it even more as people want to save it for the actual equipment they can use that costs a fair price anyway in dill rather than spend it on another random starbase assignment that doesnt really give anything back.
  • acoldtacoldt Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Claiming a F2P game is expensive is like complaining liquid nitrogen is too hot... You just end up looking like an idiot...

If you don't want to pay for anything in STO, don't. You don't have to complain about nonsense and gibberish.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    acoldt wrote: »
    Claiming a F2P game is expensive is like complaining liquid nitrogen is too hot... You just end up looking like an idiot...

If you don't want to pay for anything in STO, don't. You don't have to complain about nonsense and gibberish.

take that page from your book and use it for your self you are complaining about a complainer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 924 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Welcome to F2P :-P It can be really expensive if you want everything as fast as possible. There are people who spent over 500$ on Lockboxes :rolleyes:

And people wonder why many games are going to F2P. Here's a hint: It's not always because they're failboats. People really do spend a hell of a lot more on a F2P game than on sub based games.

One player spending about 3 1/2 years worth of sub fees in a single month.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
    edited November 2012
    And people wonder why many games are going to F2P. Here's a hint: It's not always because they're failboats. People really do spend a hell of a lot more on a F2P game than on sub based games.

One player spending about 3 1/2 years worth of sub fees in a single month.

funny wow still p2p eveonline is still f2p guess this like that saying beauty is in the eye of the beholder
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited November 2012
    daan2006 wrote: »
    funny wow still p2p eveonline is still f2p guess this like that saying beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Some games are P2P because they're stubbornly so, or they have a riduculously large playerbase and don't have to go F2P. Doesn't mean they're superior just because they charge people for the privilege of playing.

In the end, it's just an alternate revenue model with its pros and cons.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
    edited November 2012
    Some games are P2P because they're stubbornly so, or they have a riduculously large playerbase and don't have to go F2P. Doesn't mean they're superior just because they charge people for the privilege of playing.

In the end, it's just an alternate revenue model with its pros and cons.

or could it be they put out content and ppl find that as a reason to still pay as i said ones before you want mmos that put out content you going to pay for them you want mmos that have more Lockboxes and cstore stuff you get F2P mmos like all of PWE mmos........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    chaz200565 wrote: »
    The dilithium allowances are far too small,and we are forced to buy it,to get anywhere in this game.This is despite STO being a free game,so we are told.
    It seems to me that the costs involved are getting worse,and it does not matter if a fleet is big or small. The prices generally are far too high.
    I hope that Dan Stahl and Mr Branflakes themselves see this,and i hope they realise,that STO will lose people,as they will be priced out of this game.

This whole fleet idea was a big mistake,sadly there are many in fleets who don't bother contributing,and they sit back and do nothing most of the time,while others end up carrying them so to speak.
    Personally if it were ever possible,i would run a fleet with just myself and duty officers as fleet staff. end result is more efficient progress and no arguements with other players in this game,about who contributes what and general costs etc.

What I like about STO is you don't have to pay a dime to play the game.
    If you don't pay anything in this game, you will still get a great experience.

But, if you want a better experience, it won't break the bank.
    Sure there are threads in this forum that indicate some frustation with various aspects of the game, but in the end it's still a solid game.

I have minor gripes with this game, but not enough to banish it from my computer.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
    edited November 2012
    or could it be they put out content and ppl find that as a reason to still pay as i said ones before you want game that put out content you going to pay for them you want game that have more Lockboxes and cstore stuff you get F2P games like all of
    PWE game........

Again, alternate revenue model. F2P models have to depend on cash shop revenue--it's a simple fact of the model.

Subscription models are inherently self-limiting: they can collect no less than their basic subscription fee and no more than that fee plus the fees (usually a dollar or two) for the maximum amount of additional character slots allowed. This means that they depend on an extremely large subscriber base--and few companies command one of that size. Furthermore, those companies usually only have one MMO and can therefore devote the full resources of their staff to producing more content, and can therefore do so at a more prolific pace (usually four to six major updates in a year, depending on size). They also do not depend on having a parent studio release a version for them to localize for a NA market, as most Eastern-based MMOs do.

F2P games, on the other hand, are usually developed by "market saturators", defined as companies that release several MMOs at once, usually only differing in theme or some variant in mechanics. Most of these companies are Asian in origin and therefore their titles require localization for English speaking players and thus this adds time to the release intervals for new content. These companies generally have several MMOs running at once to manage, and therefore the company suffers from the fact that they do not have as much staff to devote to content updates, and therefore content updates are not released as frequently (maybe two, three major updates over the course of a year). These companies are usually dependent on "cash shop" revenue models, and thus, their revenue can vary greatly. Most become "P2W" simply because that's what marketing data tells them that players will buy.

For a PWE game, STO actually receives updates at a more frequent pace than most other PWE titles. STO has the advantage of being developed in NA studios, rather than China and then ported over to the NA market. Therefore, they can skip the process of localization (at least in the NA market) and go directly to release.

Yeah, the ships are expensive, but for a game that still has yet to develop any real PvP play, they're also largely unnecessary.

Optional fleet projects are just that--optional. If you don't have or don't want to use the funds to do them, you don't have to. Required projects....now that's a different story.

But let us not forget that this game is published and developed by an entity of a public traded company. This means that they answer to stockholders and investors, and the wishes of the players and the stockholders/investors are usually worlds apart.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
    edited November 2012
    Again, alternate revenue model. F2P models have to depend on cash shop revenue--it's a simple fact of the model.

Subscription models are inherently self-limiting: they can collect no less than their basic subscription fee and no more than that fee plus the fees (usually a dollar or two) for the maximum amount of additional character slots allowed. This means that they depend on an extremely large subscriber base--and few companies command one of that size. Furthermore, those companies usually only have one MMO and can therefore devote the full resources of their staff to producing more content, and can therefore do so at a more prolific pace (usually four to six major updates in a year, depending on size). They also do not depend on having a parent studio release a version for them to localize for a NA market, as most Eastern-based MMOs do.

F2P games, on the other hand, are usually developed by "market saturators", defined as companies that release several MMOs at once, usually only differing in theme or some variant in mechanics. Most of these companies are Asian in origin and therefore their titles require localization for English speaking players and thus this adds time to the release intervals for new content. These companies generally have several MMOs running at once to manage, and therefore the company suffers from the fact that they do not have as much staff to devote to content updates, and therefore content updates are not released as frequently (maybe two, three major updates over the course of a year). These companies are usually dependent on "cash shop" revenue models, and thus, their revenue can vary greatly. Most become "P2W" simply because that's what marketing data tells them that players will buy.

For a PWE game, STO actually receives updates at a more frequent pace than most other PWE titles. STO has the advantage of being developed in NA studios, rather than China and then ported over to the NA market. Therefore, they can skip the process of localization (at least in the NA market) and go directly to release.

Yeah, the ships are expensive, but for a game that still has yet to develop any real PvP play, they're also largely unnecessary.

Optional fleet projects are just that--optional. If you don't have or don't want to use the funds to do them, you don't have to. Required projects....now that's a different story.

But let us not forget that this game is published and developed by an entity of a public traded company. This means that they answer to stockholders and investors, and the wishes of the players and the stockholders/investors are usually worlds apart.

sorry but im not going to look at all this why you think games should all be F2P games go F2P because they are eicp fails and why sto went f2p only reason PWE mmos do so good well they out number most of the world if you get my hint
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited November 2012
    sorry but im not going to look at all this why you think games should all be F2P games go F2P because they are eicp fails and why sto went f2p only reason PWE mmos do so good well they out number most of the world if you get my hint

Not my fault that you can't be bothered to read the facts.

A P2P game is not automatically superior. P2P simply means that a fee is charged to be able to play the game. Quality does not mean a thing--there have been crappy P2P games as well as crappy F2P games. I've been playing MMOs long enough to see both.

Just off the top of my head, crappy and/or failed sub based games: Phantasy Star Universe. Hellgate London. Tabula Rasa.

Simply because the largest MMO happens to be pay-to-play does not mean that the model is necessarily superior.

An F2P game generates more revenue per player than a P2P game because a P2P game cannot collect more per player than its subscription fee per player--unless it goes hybrid and adds a cash shop. The only games that can stay viable as a sub based model are games with an extensive player base, and usually by companies that produce only that one game.

For the record, STO is a hybrid F2P. The option to subscribe exists but the requirement to pay a fee has been removed, in line with PWE's business modus operandi.

Games go F2P not because they are "epic fails" but because the F2P model has been statistically proven to generate more revenue--and for the companies' higher management and/or stockholder and investors, money is what matters.

That doesn't mean the P2P model sucks or the F2P model is a winner. Nor have I stated that all games should go F2P. They're simply two sides of the same coin.

Still, money talks, and the F2P model has shown that it can generate that.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
    edited November 2012
    Not my fault that you can't be bothered to read the facts.

Dude, a P2P game is not automatically superior. That seems to be your thinking. Again, please do the math.

An F2P game generates more revenue per player than a P2P game because a P2P game cannot collect more per player than its subscription fee per player--unless it goes hybrid and adds a cash shop. The only games that can stay viable as a sub based model are games with an extensive player base, and usually by companies that produce only that one game.

For the record, STO is a hybrid F2P. The option to subscribe exists but the requirement to pay a fee has been removed, in line with PWE's business modus operandi.

Games go F2P not because they are "epic fails" but because the F2P model has been statistically proven to generate more revenue--and for the companies' higher management and/or stockholder and investors, money is what matters.

That doesn't mean the P2P model sucks or the F2P model is a winner, they're simply two sides of the same coin.

Still, money talks, and the F2P model has shown that it can generate that.

think you over thinking it sorry i dont need to do the math do this math 14.99 plus 10mill paying that sto even going to come close to that even half of it ??!!!!!????? also do this if ppl dont want to pay 14.99 how is eve and wow still wait for it wait for it P2P!!!!! nice try dude but you not going to change my mind on what i think just like the same for you

but hey keep typeing paragraphs!!!! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited November 2012
    think you over thinking it sorry i dont need to do the math do this math 14.99 plus 10mill paying that sto even going to come close to that even half of it ??!!!!!????? also do this if ppl dont want to pay 14.99 how is eve and wow still wait for it wait for it P2P!!!!! nice try dude but you not going to change my mind on what i think just like the same for you

but hey keep typeing paragraphs!!!! :)

And you can keep waving your EVE and WOW P2P fanboi flag. Because that's honestly what you're doing.

You're missing one completely obvious fact: EVE and WOW are published and developed by companies that have a strong following and produce only that ONE game. Nothing else. They can afford to remain P2P because they have that kind of a playerbase and it's a dedicated project. They don't have to develop and maintain over a dozen games.

PWE has 13 games at last check. One game alone isn't gonna make all their revenue.

I've laid out the facts there. In the end money is the only number that matters to the powers that be. If F2P didn't generate sufficient money, companies wouldn't do it.

You still haven't laid out any argument to the contrary besides waving your fanboi flag. For the record, I'm not trying to change your mind, simply showing that the F2P model has proven profitable and why it works for some companies.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
    edited November 2012
    And you can keep waving your EVE and WOW P2P fanboi flag. Because that's honestly what you're doing.

I've laid out the facts there. In the end money is the only number that matters to the powers that be. If F2P didn't generate sufficient money, companies wouldn't do it.

just like your a CDer gose both ways dude ;)

as you said money matter and why sto is F2P swtor lotor and gues what wait for it wait for it wow and eve are not ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited November 2012
    Last I checked, LOTRO is still going quite strong. SWTOR can't pull the massive following required to stay P2P. WoW is limited F2P, in case you hadn't noticed.

And, agian, you missed my point: EVE and WOW can afford to remain P2P because they have (1) a massive following and (2) have a staff and budget entirely dedicated to that project because they are the ONLY MMO made by their respective studios.

If the F2P model fails so hard.....why are so many companies going to it then?

Your argument fails. When you can lay out a better argument rather than parroting the same numbers over and over again, I might be compelled to listen.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Compared to how EA/Bioware are nickle-and-diming its F2P players by trying to get them to buy their user interface piecemeal to play... I'd say Cryptic is being exceedingly generous with its playerbase.

Let's be real here, guys. I'm a F2P player that was a former subscriber; I got the Defiant-R with my Vice Admiral token before they took those away, and I only subbed for maybe two months. I have yet to get a different ship, with no intention of doing so unless they release something similar to the Defiant but better.

I can log into the game and play without being annoyed to death by limited UI features and restricted content. I can fully enjoy the Rep system in the game, and get a slick helmet for my Tactical captain's ground gear.

If I buy something from the C-Store, it's something I can feel good about buying. Uniforms, bridge officers, a new ship, etc. I can enjoy my purchase. I don't have that freedom with many other F2P games.

Say what you will about whether or not you agree with their design choices (even with the changes, I'm still not a huge fan of the reputation system's implementation), but they try to get money from its players by having a game we ultimately like to play, and dangling fun toys in front of us. The game isn't without its problems, but it could be a lot worse.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jtmarshjtmarsh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    chaz200565 wrote: »

Wow ok lets see;)
    so is a Ferrari but people still buy them. But unlike a Ferrari you can earn a Vesta without spending a single dime by mining dill
    no no again does not cost a single real dollar
    dont have a clue
    never never bought dilithium and i'm kinda.. well EC and Dill rich;)
    This is my favorite. It takes work to earn in this game. Takes playing the game to get the cheese! By your logic Maco Armor also cost way to much! It cost time just like any other reward. Would you prefer to have it given to you?? Then it would not be a game it would be a give away;)
    My fleet does quite well! Almost T5. Just takes a good fleet where all contributes
    Then kick the lazy ones. Not the leader then bail and find another. Like you said "many fleets"
    Are you F2P? then sorry you cant create a fleet I guess. Just you & duty officers?? Sound like you dont like the Multiplayer part of MMO. Try bridge commander! Great game!! Armada as well!
    edited November 2012
    Last I checked, LOTRO is still going quite strong. SWTOR can't pull the massive following required to stay P2P. WoW is limited F2P, in case you hadn't noticed.

And, agian, you missed my point: EVE and WOW can afford to remain P2P because they have (1) a massive following and (2) have a staff and budget entirely dedicated to that project because they are the ONLY MMO made by their respective studios.

Your argument fails.

wow since when did you work for wow to know what shape they are in or eve sorry dude but your argument fails for you or i have not showing any thing to prove sto is failing or wow or eve

but again do they math of 14.99 and 10 mill paying and not to say 10mill buying there 40 xpack sorry but if wow gose f2p that 10 years down the rode for they have a big enuff player base to keep them going for a long time can sto really say that? game takes 1 year to get out a grindy rep system ? that most of the player base but the few CDer hated it you think sto doing so good you need to look around ya

but hey i have no life or job i can keep this up all day can you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited November 2012
    thratch1 wrote: »
    Compared to how EA/Bioware are nickle-and-diming its F2P players by trying to get them to buy their user interface piecemeal to play... I'd say Cryptic is being exceedingly generous with its playerbase.

Let's be real here, guys. I'm a F2P player that was a former subscriber; I got the Defiant-R with my Vice Admiral token before they took those away, and I only subbed for maybe two months. I have yet to get a different ship, with no intention of doing so unless they release something similar to the Defiant but better.

I can log into the game and play without being annoyed to death by limited UI features and restricted content. I can fully enjoy the Rep system in the game, and get a slick helmet for my Tactical captain's ground gear.

If I buy something from the C-Store, it's something I can feel good about buying. Uniforms, bridge officers, a new ship, etc. I can enjoy my purchase. I don't have that freedom with many other F2P games.

Say what you will about whether or not you agree with their design choices (even with the changes, I'm still not a huge fan of the reputation system's implementation), but they try to get money from its players by having a game we ultimately like to play, and dangling fun toys in front of us. The game isn't without its problems, but it could be a lot worse.

and to add i see alot more rep systems coming to this game more then we will ever see in FE or just plan old story content unless it with a rep system
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited November 2012
    wow since when did you work for wow to know what shape they are in or eve sorry dude but your argument fails for you or i have not showing any thing to prove sto is failing or wow or eve

but again do they math of 14.99 and 10 mill paying and not to say 10mill buying there 40 xpack sorry but if wow gose f2p that 10 years down the rode for they have a big enuff player base to keep them going for a long time can sto really say that? game takes 1 year to get out a grindy rep system ? that most of the player base but the few CDer hated it you think sto doing so good you need to look around ya

but hey i have no life or job i can keep this up all day can you?

I can keep this up as long as you can. I haven't said the P2P system is a complete success, hell, I can name more P2P games that have failed than have succeeded.

In full disclosure, I don't just play F2P games, I maintain a subscription to FFXI.

I never said that WoW was failing, you took my words out of context. Anyone who's played MMOs for longer than a year knows that WoW set the bar that everyone tries to reach.

But--let me say this one more time and hope it gets through--WoW has a subscriber base of such size they don't HAVE to go F2P if they don't want to.

It's also the sole MMO published and developed by Activision Blizzard, which is a company of no small size. Therefore, they have the muscle and resources to reinvest EVERY dime WoW makes back into WoW. That means more frequent content updates and the like.

Same argument for EVE.

PWE, as well as many other Asian MMO companies and some Western ones, do not. They do not have the sub base that WoW/EVE does, nor is any one game the sole offering in their stables. Therefore, they must make up the revenue difference either by going F2P or by using a hybrid model.

Again, though, it is nothing more or less than an alternate means of generating revenue to make up for a smaller subscriber base.

Subscribers or players are not the sole barometer of a game's health, nor is the fact that games charge a fee to play at all fairly representative of the game's health. What matters at the end of the day to the higher ups in the company is, "is this game turning enough of a profit to justify the development budget and/or keeping the servers on?"

Doesn't matter how you get there, be it by paying a subscription fee or buying a metric crapton of stuff from the cash shop.

It's still the revenue generation that matters, ultimately.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    What do I have to pay for? I haven't spent a dime since the tholian lock box came out. Really, I've spent something like $40 on this game during the past year, and that $40 was due to having fun gambling with the lockboxes.

I don't feel the need to spend money for virtual goodies in a game where there is ultimately nothing really to do with those goodies. Hence, they only matter in your head because you want them.

You don't need any of it. It's pointless in the end. So, I just try to enjoy the game, well... whatever is left of it.

Just stop caring about some rare purple thingy that doesn't really have a noticeable effect on your gameplay, beyond taking you 4 or 5 seconds less to kill some mob.

The game is free to play. You don't have to pay for anything. And that doesn't bother me when the stuff is just stuff.

But if you are obsessed with some kind of uber rare thingy that adds mostly something cosmetic to your toon.... and if you feel some sense of entitlement to getting that thingy, then I could see why stuff feels expensive.

That tier 3 or 4 starbase. That sure is a pretty penny, that offers almost nothing that you can't do at ESD except maybe some new store goodies that add cosmetics and other things that make the game easier. And you get to look at plants or something.

Just stop caring about the purple junk and the game is completely free. Or, if you really do care about that purple stuff, work for it or pay for it.

Or better yet, just stop grinding if you don't enjoy grinding. Play some foundry for the stories. Stop caring about the worst aspects of this game and care about the good parts that are left, even if you don't get some virtual goodie for having fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Just stop caring about the purple junk and the game is completely free and inexpensive.

If it weren't for people addicted to their shinies. Really, it's all pixels in the end. You wanna pay something like your rent payment for virtual pixels, be my guest. :P

I'll still enjoy what's there for free, give a little money now and then if I feel like it, and work for what doesn't require money.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
    edited November 2012
    I can keep this up as long as you can. I haven't said the P2P system is a complete success, hell, I can name more P2P games that have failed than have succeeded.

In full disclosure, I don't just play F2P games, I maintain a subscription to FFXI.

I never said that WoW was failing, you took my words out of context. Anyone who's played MMOs for longer than a year knows that WoW set the bar that everyone tries to reach.

But--let me say this one more time and hope it gets through--WoW has a subscriber base of such size they don't HAVE to go F2P if they don't want to.

It's also the sole MMO published and developed by Activision Blizzard, which is a company of no small size. Therefore, they have the muscle and resources to reinvest EVERY dime WoW makes back into WoW. That means more frequent content updates and the like.

Same argument for EVE.

PWE, as well as many other Asian MMO companies and some Western ones, do not. They do not have the sub base that WoW/EVE does, nor is any one game the sole offering in their stables. Therefore, they must make up the revenue difference either by going F2P or by using a hybrid model.

Again, though, it is nothing more or less than an alternate means of generating revenue to make up for a smaller subscriber base.

Subscribers or players are not the sole barometer of a game's health, nor is the fact that games charge a fee to play at all fairly representative of the game's health. What matters at the end of the day to the higher ups in the company is, "is this game turning enough of a profit to justify the development budget and/or keeping the servers on?"

Doesn't matter how you get there, be it by paying a subscription fee or buying a metric crapton of stuff from the cash shop.

It's still the revenue generation that matters, ultimately.

and i agree to all that but with a but how long can sto go with only geting out real content ones a year and now add what story to a fleet base aka rep system really i got to spend 2 + months to what get a 20 mins if that of story how is that fun the grind this rep system going to have me doing makes wow look less grindy and that is saying something i play more halo4 now because of the rep system for the last 2 season we have goting more grind system then real story
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • avarseiravarseir Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

WoW is subs + expansion packs.. if you follow everything you'd be paying close to $300 for all expansions to date, not counting the monthly sub.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    avarseir wrote: »
    WoW is subs + expansion packs.. if you follow everything you'd be paying close to $300 for all expansions to date, not counting the monthly sub.

and i do like some pools that pay 500 or more TRYING to get lockbox ships sorry but if not paying for a game is not your cup of tea again as i told you ones thats you sorry but the hole world is not full of ppl like you

and got news for ya but if you come to wow as a new comer will not cost you 300$ to get from 1 to 90 to get every xpack not even would be half of that
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead