test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

15minutes is too long, and here is, why.

kyuui13kyuui13 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
ok so the new requirement is 15 minutes, per mission. I'm here to say thats too long. And the reason why is simple.

Cryptic has missions in the game that you can do, in under 5 minutes, if you're quick, at most, 7-10.

Within the Clusters we get on occasion the computer/power/disapearance Mission that we have to run from console to console clicking them. They sometimes do, and some times do NOT have combat, meaning they're easy to get done and other than the infamous scan five in space are easy as pie.

While the 1 click wonder missions are bad, taking it to the other end of the spectrum, is not good either. The time should be based on reality. Cryptic has at least 3 types of missions on the ground that are doable within a really short time frame.

Foundry authors should not have to TRIPLE the time for a DEVELOPER made mission. I would suggest given that MANY explore cluster missions are super short the time should be reduced, to no more than 10 minutes, kept that three total, but ten minutes max.

This to me seems reasonable, and uses CRYPTIC missions as a judgement point, do not ask foundry authors to do, what you do not, inorder for them to count. The missions should be held to the same standards your own are, to not do so, is well to be blunt, assinine.
Next time you log in, ask yourself this.
dastahl wrote: »
If you can't have fun, then what is the point?
Post edited by kyuui13 on

Comments

• Options
    savnokasavnoka Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    kyuui13 wrote: »
    ok so the new requirement is 15 minutes, per mission. I'm here to say thats too long. And the reason why is simple.

Cryptic has missions in the game that you can do, in under 5 minutes, if you're quick, at most, 7-10.

Can these missions be repeated, ad nauseum ad infinitium, on multiple toons, for 1440 dilithium?

That should answer your question right there. If Foundry missions gave no rewards, I doubt there would be a time limit. There is very little point in attempting to balance the Dil system if you have an endless source of dil flooding the economy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rachel1018rachel1018 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    savnoka wrote: »
    Can these missions be repeated, ad nauseum ad infinitium, on multiple toons, for 1440 dilithium?

That should answer your question right there. If Foundry missions gave no rewards, I doubt there would be a time limit. There is very little point in attempting to balance the Dil system if you have an endless source of dil flooding the economy.

The exploration missions can be done across multiple toons to get 1440 dil in 20 minutes or so to complete the 3 missions needed. So how is his request any different that what's currently offered via Strange New Worlds?
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    15 minutes per mission is too long. I think ten minutes is entirely reasonable.

Especially if you're trying to knock out those missions in a crunch.

If not however I have a critical suggestion. At the risk of you guys shutting down the Foundry yet again....

Please enable a way in the search to actually tag the missions that are acceptable. People should still be able to make missions specifically for dailies and they should be easy to find. It is not logical to force someone to search through the Foundry for ten minutes to find a mission that is within the parameters but NOT 40 minutes or an hour long.

Right now there's no way to find the missions that are acceptable.

You've got a way to disqualify missions, but you didn't add a way to include missions.

On another note, please don't take away the missions you already have in the game that can be done quickly, they're pretty much the backbone of my Dilithium grind. I'm not comfortable with STFs yet.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Am I the only person here who LIKES to spend an hour doing a mission because someone took the time and effort to make one with an appreciable story?
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    adamkafei wrote: »
    Am I the only person here who LIKES to spend an hour doing a mission because someone took the time and effort to make one with an appreciable story?
    Same here, but for the daily, I think ONE 15 or more minute mission would be adequate.

Besides, this way people have less of an incentive to skip the long ones. I am soooo totally guilty of making long ones....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yes, you are most likely the only one.

Doing an Elite infected space is much more time efficient now dilithium wise.

Foundry missions have no use beyond role play and kill accolade unlocking now.

STFs are just superior in every way.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Earlier on for Officer Reports i did 3 missions, total time 12 minutes from start till end and completed it.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    For the time invested, compared to the rewards, I agree that an hour of foundry for 1440 dilithium is pretty cheap.

However, I'm not really sure that a 10 min. mission = a decent foundry mission. I'd much rather see folks rewarded for time invested.

You spend 15 min. playing Foundry? Here is your 1440.

You spend an hour playing Foundry? Wow. Here is 5760!

It's fair. But the tech probably just isn't there to be fair. If it was, I'd say that the majority of players would just enjoy Foundry story content, instead of repeating the same rinse and repeat stuff every day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    savnoka wrote: »

Yep, they sure can, its all Strange New worlds. 1440, every day, for exploring three systems.

The point is, 45 min, is NOT worth 1440 in dil, 30 min, yeah I'd say so. The fact of the matter is, that Cryptic has MANY missions that are under 10 minutes to do, that already award DIL, so the precidence, is set; now, just extend it to the Foundry authors.

As for the time it takes to do quality mission, I'm only going to say that, TGN Dailies, all can be done, fairly fast, and are all good missions. Time doesn't Equal quality, effort and design do.
  • Options
    xcom43xcom43 Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I started issue on my thread here http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=458801

It is basically the same issue 15 mins is way too long.

Look at stfs they make them 3 times harder and take away the Dilithium that we need we are getting 3 times less the Dilithium be for they started this TRIBBLE.

We are getting less Dilithium now then what we where and it is total TRIBBLE.
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    For the time invested, compared to the rewards, I agree that an hour of foundry for 1440 dilithium is pretty cheap.

However, I'm not really sure that a 10 min. mission = a decent foundry mission. I'd much rather see folks rewarded for time invested.

You spend 15 min. playing Foundry? Here is your 1440.

It's fair. But the tech probably just isn't there to be fair. If it was, I'd say that the majority of players would just enjoy Foundry story content, instead of repeating the same rinse and repeat stuff every day.
    I agree. I hope the current system is just a transitional feature until they put in a real reward system.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    fourxgamerfourxgamer Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited November 2012

I would love this. I would play foundry every day, real missions with real stories. I used to play real missions before I needed dilithium for everything, I preferred them. I miss them. Clickers didn't make me stop, I had already stopped to guarantee a minimum income.

The problem is they think alts are evil now. If I could earn 5760/hour foundry I'd be doing it on alts also and be earning as much total as I ever did with the supposedly naughty loopholes and exploits.

I think they want to impose 8k cap per account more or less without calling it that. They still can charge for alt character slots, gear, ships but you'll never benefit much farming with the season 7 style changes. Even at 4k/hour I could pull 20-30k on my account if I have free days. If they keep the reward below the rate of other things in game, nobody will ever chain it. 1440/45 minutes or 1920 per hour prevents repetition, discouraging farming. 1920/hour will wear somebody like me down around the 10k mark, not much different than the cap. At most you would do this in place of say Aid the Defera Daily if you got down that far on the list.

summary:

It's gonna stay a per character, per x number eligible missions reward, never a per hour rate.

It's probably gonna stay around this 1920/hour equivalent to discourage alt farming.
    Same reason they nerfed FA's back down to 480 each, or 1920/hour. People with alts were getting 5760/hour at SB24, or 23k per four hour session.

1920/hour = 4 hour dil cap D Stahl talks about.
  • Options
    alnakaralnakar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm absolutely against reducing the time limit to 10 minutes.

If you're looking for a way of farming dilithium when you log on, I think it's entirely fair to say that Foundry missions should not be a great way of doing that.

For me, when I log on my goal is to enjoy my time spent gaming, not to make my character rich. If the people who are more interested in getting the best gear for their characters are naturally steered toward the combat-heavy portion of the game, while people who are interested in playing through engaging stories are naturally steered toward the story-heavy portion of the game, I call that a massive success on Cryptic's part.

If you don't feel like it's worth your time to play a foundry mission, nobody's going to put a gun to your head.

If they can find a way of adding useful rewards to that content without people being able to exploit it, I certainly won't turn it down. Until then, I'll still happily play the Foundry missions, for whatever rewards may or may not be offered.
    - LTS since shortly before the F2P announcement, and very happy about it.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I was kinda viewing the Foundry as my end game.

If I farmed the TRIBBLE missions and got my starbase projects done, bought whatever fleet ships I wanted, I could retire to the foundry. By that time it would be overflowing with quality content. If I'm gonna be the hero of the story, it's more fun to look the part.

Maybe they'll even give foundry authors the tools to make me feel like my fleet starbase is actually doing something, colonizing, trading, raiding w/e.

Wouldn't those latinum traders be a great contact for fleet-specific foundry missions instead of Officer what's her name?

Can foundry missions use your fleet/starbase name like they do your captain/ship name?

I'd love it if you all could make generic colonial maps that could save progress/unlocks instead of restart every time. Lots of dreams I have. If every foundry author made his/her ideal colonial map with structures and let Cryptic distribute them to fleets where we could unlock things I'd be in bliss. Make a colony catalog and I will tip you to use yours. You could then write story chains based on the design you made. NPC visits, colonial hardships, discovered resources. Have a base mission for the default so I can visit anytime and look about and relax. Have subsequent missions with changes or stories.
    Then have a finale mission with results based on my actions, maybe like the missions where you have to input codes. My colony might be fully built/functional or a ruinous heap, but if I don't like it I can return to the original anytime.

Think about that.... my fleet was given the colony Kirksplat #4, or Nagorak #2, or Captain Revo #7. I wonder what crazy stuff these dudes are gonna put me through over the next months. Maybe I could have Grand Nagus Starbase Visitor #3 darken my doorstep. Adm. Murphy First Contact #1... launch a deep space explore mission from my starbase that leads to chains. Categorize the missions this way but have cryptic disseminate them through NPC contacts instead of me searching the foundry. This makes for randomizing fun times. Maybe your fleet won't get to play the same missions mine does unless you cheat and specifically search the foundry. If you do that the fleet officers could pick and you could make away teams for fleet foundry missions (:

These systems are your current competition for play time, tap into them. Feed my starbase ego and I will play your missions to death regardless of dilithium.

ok, i typed too much. gn
  • Options
    captmack001captmack001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Sp why is 15 mins too long

Well 1 thats alot of time I was preparing around 40 missions all taking about 5 mins each asking serveral questions about trek like a mini trivia game but now whats the point i would have to ask 30-40 questions and no one would do that.

Also i dont think that with such a bugged foundry that the players should be helded to ransom if you do a mission and it doesnt think its 20 mins long then you have to do another mission
    no thanks id rather just not bother
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    sorry, more ideas about fleet oriented missions.

make a way for fleet leaders to pick a foundry mission for their fleet, let them slot it somewhere the whole fleet will see it. A fleet specific spotlight if you will. If Cryptic needs to control it, make a daily foundry spotlight mission tab in the fleet window.

let it give whatever the normal rewards are, fleet marks/dil per individual.
    add a fleet-wide reward, a shared goal from playing it.

Every time somebody completes a daily spotlighted mission you get a point, after a number of points equal to your fleet size or w/e number cryptic decides, the fleet gets a token. The token could be dropped into starbase missions as a substitute for fleet marks, dil, doffs whatever you're stalled out on. If that's not good, use of the token might give every fleet member some lobi, or some item gift, or the equivalent of a starbase trophy. Might even get a lock box key(s) for the fleet to distribute.

A great deal of the foundry competition is coming from the need to grind the fleet inputs. Advertise at the fleet and create a fleet goal associated with the foundry.

Use the fleet system to promote the foundry and if you reward an occasional key, you'd also be promoting your lockbox system in a friendly way. Fleet members would log on too if they had a shot at winning a free key. win win win
  • Options
    ajstonerajstoner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The system in place now is, at best, a half-measure. There is a simple, easy, and eminently fair way to do this for all concerned.

Remove the failed (and by Cryptic's own inaction "tainted) daily wrapper and based on steps/average play time, make all foundry missions pay about 800 to 1,000 dil per hour of actual play.

It would be available as a legitimate grind for those who want it but no more so (indeed a good deal less so) than STFs with the lesser dil reward returned to them, it would get this content played where the real gems that ARE in there can be discovered by the wider player base, and would help fill-in the content gap that the developers are unable to devote time to.

Win-win-win.

It would also (CRYPTIC) be a fine (and painless) way to reach-out to the community and say "Hey folks, we've had some real differences about where this game is going but we honestly do want to work with you and find good solutions."

Win again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    Yeah considering the New Worlds can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and get you 1440, or the Dilithium Mining can reward between 800 and 900 depending on how good you are at the mini game, in 10 minutes. Elite STFs reward just under 1000 Dil for 20 minutes of game play. Three, 20 minute missions for 1440 is a waste of time. They should either at the very least, reduce it to a requirement of two missions to complete the daily, or increase the reward, perhaps that extra dilithium they removed from the B'tran exploration could be added to this to make the hour of game play required, worth it.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    patrickngo wrote: »
    gee, I MUST be a TRIBBLE, I was in favour of HOUR long missions being the ones with payouts.

Then again, I like to use Foundry missions to level toons instead of relying on Mirror, SB24, etc. etc. etc. adnauseum.

(sure, the levelling is slower, but face it, if youi're tired of Pugging and the PvP que never pops, if you are tired of internal fleet bickering, feeding other people's ego-trips, and enduring the endless gorn jokes and fire-extinguisher spam... and your'e also not keen to repeat the recycled and rebadged Fed content in your Klink and you get bored with the "explore/map' grinds...)

Foundry missions are a vacation from grinding for top-tier toons, and a vacation from recycling for toons levelling. What might be nice, is if there were a bonus-say, your base 15 minutes nets you the current reward, with scaling rewards beyond that at 30, 45, and 60 minutes in Foundry missions. It would encourage MORE foundry work, and by extension, BETTER foundry work-which takes a work-load off of Development, and opens vistas in the game for actual creativity, cleverness, and honest effort.

If you're a TRIBBLE, I must be a homicidal maniac. I too like to take my time with foundry missions, easily several hours.

And I like the 'reward based on time taken' idea as well, they could work it so that playing foundry missions exclusively can be a legitimate way to earn you're daily Dil cap. For example, I could take 2/3 hours grinding away at FA's or STF's to earn my daily Dil cap, it would be nice however if I could use those same 2/3 hours just playing foundry missions for the same reward.

Earning through foundry every other day would break up the grind a bit.

That aside, 15 mins is fine and I do wish people would stop complaining about it. Give it some time for authors to come up with great 3-part missions then you can take a break from the grind, enjoy a story and get a reward as a nice bonus.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    alnakar wrote: »
    I'm absolutely against reducing the time limit to 10 minutes.

If you're looking for a way of farming dilithium when you log on, I think it's entirely fair to say that Foundry missions should not be a great way of doing that.
    So your against the Strange new worlds then? Multiple Crytpic missions in the explore zones are fast, So you are for making all those fast missions CRYPTIC made not count as done for the SNW?

For me, when I log on my goal is to enjoy my time spent gaming, not to make my character rich. If the people who are more interested in getting the best gear for their characters are naturally steered toward the combat-heavy portion of the game, while people who are interested in playing through engaging stories are naturally steered toward the story-heavy portion of the game, I call that a massive success on Cryptic's part.
    so you want to impose your game play style on everyone? My way or the high way?
    If you don't feel like it's worth your time to play a foundry mission, nobody's going to put a gun to your head.
    But see, you just did that, play the way I want you to play, or don't play... soo, one way or the other, not both.

It comes down to this really, Cryptic should not hold FREE UNPAID AUTHORS to a standard they themselves do not maintain. To do so, reflects poorly on them.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    For those of you who are against this, I propose you do a test.

Pick up Strange new worlds and go to a level appropriate exploration zone. then do the mission. Note your start time from the pick up of SNW The the start and finish times for each of the three missions. Repeat this for the next four days. I'm betting you will see that some times your fast, some, your not, but overall I bet your average, is below 45 min a day, which would be the required time for a foundry mission.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited November 2012

But ... that's what the OP is trying to do ...

I don't think Foundry missions should have a time limit. Foundry missions are meant to be a free-form variant of the game-as-packaged.

Thus, the onus is on the creator to make the missions quick (or not), not the user. The user simply chooses to play a Foundry mission (or not).
  • Options
    alnakaralnakar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So your against the Strange new worlds then? Multiple Crytpic missions in the explore zones are fast, So you are for making all those fast missions CRYPTIC made not count as done for the SNW?

Well, I dislike the SNW, personally, on account of the fact that they suck. I'm not sure if that was your question or not. I'd love to see them overhauled. I wouldn't say that I'm 'against' them necessarily, since as short as they sometimes are, they're still a long-shot from being "one-click".
    But see, you just did that, play the way I want you to play, or don't play... soo, one way or the other, not both.

I think you may have missed my point. If you're farming for dilithium, I think you should be able to do that. It doesn't require, though, that every single part of the game be equally good for farming dilithium. If the benefit of playing through a carefully crafted story doesn't outweigh the benefit of earning more dilithium, then you're absolutely free to play the parts of the game that give you more dilithium instead. You can play the game whichever way you want to.
    It comes down to this really, Cryptic should not hold FREE UNPAID AUTHORS to a standard they themselves do not maintain. To do so, reflects poorly on them.

I don't necessarily disagree with you on principle here, but I also don't think that this is the real issue. Cryptic was looking for a way of removing the one-click 'exploit' from the foundry. One way to do this might have been to remove the wrapper, and just allow the foundry content to be there for the people who were interested in it. That would have flown over like a lead balloon, so they opted for this instead. I agree that it's not the most elegant solution, but the fact is that it works, and it's fair.

I'm all for them improving it later. I think the idea of having a 'wrapper' for foundry missions is sort of akin to trying to build a parking garage that would accommodate everything from bicycles to space shuttles. It's just doomed to fail, based on the fact that these things have nothing in common. You need to look at them on a case-by-case basis, in order to please everybody.

I think the 15 minute minimum does make for a perfectly reasonable first-step. Even if it ends up being their long-term solution, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. If you finish an hour-plus foundry mission and you're irritated that you didn't get a larger reward for having put up with such a long mission, then perhaps you'd be happier doing SNW instead. There's nothing inherently wrong with deciding not to take part in one part of the game, if you don't enjoy it.
    - LTS since shortly before the F2P announcement, and very happy about it.
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    One question:

If Cryptic has obvious 2 minute "exploit" missions running themselves with high dilithium rewards, why don't you play those instead?

Park your alts next to the Breen patrol route and click away all day long!

Obviously you don't care about story so it shouldn't matter if it's a foundry mission or official content that get's you your reward? It's just as boring and tedious.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited November 2012
    For me my Farming/grinding per hour is this

Elite STF X2........30 minutes or less
    Azure nebula........15 minutes
    Colony invasion....10 minutes

Or 4 elite stfs per hour plus
    960 X 4
    240+ omega marks
    4 neural processors
    Loot/EC

Dailies At sfa and the freighter rescue 480x6 Dil
    Run a few choice doff missions while waiting
    On the que
    I have 3 VAs so it's not hard at all

So the foundry reward needs to be able to compete
    With that I'n reward for 1 hour of my playing time

Equal reward for equal time
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    dpglerch wrote: »
    One question about this 15 min rule what keeps people from just sitting idle in the mission?
    Nothing, but the Devs said that it's not something they really care about.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    dpglerch wrote: »
    Ok that being said how is it quickies is considered cheating so they red flag but sitting idle during a mission inorder to exploit a reward system isn't cheating?
    In the first, you're not doing anything. In the second.... you're wasting your own time. Soo.... It's not much of a difference, but it's there.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing