test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Xbox 360 controller

captzabjudahcaptzabjudah Member Posts: 49 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Academy
I been hearing a rumor that STO maybe coming out with a patch for keybinding for the Xbox 360 controller if this is true please post here. Also if you already use a Xbox controller tell me how it is.:)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by captzabjudah on

Comments

• ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    brilliant. you have 30 abilities, and you can use a controller brilliantly, which has 11 buttons

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • captzabjudahcaptzabjudah Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ferdzso0 wrote: »
    brilliant. you have 30 abilities, and you can use a controller brilliantly, which has 11 buttons

I wish I had the tech skill to do the binding myself to setup the xbox controller, try looking for a video on youtube to walk me threw it but came up with nada on that. Maybe we need a video thread for dummies like me.;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • edude1701ivedude1701iv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    There is a topic on how to set up the keybinds to get the xbox 360 controller to fully work. It is somewhere on the forum ill look for the link. I do use an xbox 360 controller but i just havent bothered to set up the keybinds for it but it does work pretty well for ground. i tried it with space but it is way too crazy and i personally right now prefer using the keyboard and mouse in space in part because everything i read on setting up the xbox 360 controller to use all of your abilities takes at least 3 hours. However some of your abilities are already preset when you plug in the controller all you have to do is try every single button combination.
  • fashtall1701fashtall1701 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ferdzso0 wrote: »

I currently use a Logitech dual action with a program called xpadder. The controller has 16 buttons. If you assign 1 Button to CTRL and 1 button to ALT (bringing your "action buttons" to 14) this gives you 42 options to assign as each button can perform 3 different commands.
    Xpadder also allows me to make macros VERY easily
    This works great for me and I rarely ever have to use mouse or keyboard (in combat anyway).
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited July 2012
  • uxvorastrixuxvorastrix Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    What is it about people trying to turn computers into kiddie consoles?

An X-box controller has something like 121 button combinations.
    A computer keyboard has almost 10,000 button combinations.

An X-box controller moves in set increments.
    A mouse moves precisely the amount you want it to.

Sorry, but graduate from the kiddie console and join the computer adults. lol
    D&D DM/Player since 1982 - all versions except the despised 4e
  • maelwy5maelwy5 Member Posts: 593 Arc User
    edited July 2012

A traditional mouse only has 2-3 buttons. What is is about people wanting to use mice whenever they have a perfectly good keyboard??!? The NERVE of those guys, daring to use another input device! Sheesh.

(for the record, I use a joypad with 10 programmable buttons, plus a D-Pad. WITH a mouse, and WITH a full size keyboard. Just because you have a third device for certain situations doesn't mean you stop using the other two. I could easily map in a Pedal and bind it to "Redistribute Shield & Fire All Weapons" if I was bothered enough...)
    [ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Just to nit-pick, STO doesn't USE 10,000 button combinations, and an Xbox Controller has analog sticks, so it isn't set increments either. And most of the time you want to jump the cursor quickly from one point on the screen to another is to click on abilities, which with a controller you would already have mapped to a specific button combination anyway.

On a side note, I have a Xbox 360 controller hooked up to my computer, and I use it for CO, PSO, and Tera. I don't actually use it for STO though, mostly because I'm too lazy to redo the keybinds for space.
  • xevilxmasterxxevilxmasterx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    hello im using my Xbox controller and keyboard it hard at first but gets better
    here download my setup it kinda mest up but you will beable to use the controlr ins space and ground

GROUND
    http://www.mediafire.com/?35vc3b07hkbk1ws

SPACE
    http://www.mediafire.com/?d34ql1bl4advxma

While in space load the space and while on the groud load the ground....
    /bind_load_file SpAcE.txt
    /bind_load_file ground101.txt

Hope they help out
  • philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    maelwy5 wrote: »
    A traditional mouse only has 2-3 buttons. What is is about people wanting to use mice whenever they have a perfectly good keyboard??!? The NERVE of those guys, daring to use another input device! Sheesh.

(for the record, I use a joypad with 10 programmable buttons, plus a D-Pad. WITH a mouse, and WITH a full size keyboard. Just because you have a third device for certain situations doesn't mean you stop using the other two. I could easily map in a Pedal and bind it to "Redistribute Shield & Fire All Weapons" if I was bothered enough...)

LOL!!!!

But wouldn't it be better to bind it to the throttle and use the brake pedal for stop and reverse..... :D

Please don't stop there... pick up a force feedback steering wheel and go all out!
    Are we there yet?
  • maelwy5maelwy5 Member Posts: 593 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    LOL!!!!

But wouldn't it be better to bind it to the throttle and use the brake pedal for stop and reverse..... :D

Please don't stop there... pick up a force feedback steering wheel and go all out!

Does a USB-enabled stuffed animal count as an input device? It'd be handy to be able to punch something and have it make an audible squeak whenever you're on one of those STFs. Maybe I could bind it to '/team "YEEEAHH Skittleboat party - set those Phasers to Phunkey!! :-D"' :rolleyes:
    [ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]
    edited August 2012
    I currently use a Logitech dual action with a program called xpadder. The controller has 16 buttons. If you assign 1 Button to CTRL and 1 button to ALT (bringing your "action buttons" to 14) this gives you 42 options to assign as each button can perform 3 different commands.
    Xpadder also allows me to make macros VERY easily
    This works great for me and I rarely ever have to use mouse or keyboard (in combat anyway).

I try doing the same when I downloaded the xpadder, but still couldn't figure out how to do it,I just wasted $9.99 for nothing, what I need is a tech junkie to set it up for me.:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    hello im using my Xbox controller and keyboard it hard at first but gets better
    here download my setup it kinda mest up but you will beable to use the controlr ins space and ground

GROUND
    http://www.mediafire.com/?35vc3b07hkbk1ws

SPACE
    http://www.mediafire.com/?d34ql1bl4advxma

While in space load the space and while on the groud load the ground....
    /bind_load_file SpAcE.txt
    /bind_load_file ground101.txt

Hope they help out

Hey thank evil I will try it later to see how it works.:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    Hey thank evil I will try it later to see how it works.:D

Hey Evil,

I downloaded your program and the controller is working now, only thing I'm having a problem with now is none of the trigger or buttons fire weapons when it space, didn't load the ground yet only like playing the space part of it for now. if you have a quick fix for the weapons fire please let me know.:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zebularzebular Member Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    XBOX 360 Controller for Windows
    +
    Windows Speech Recognition
    +
    Windows Speech Recognition Macro Tool
    =
    Awesome

Been using these since release, off an on, mostly on. Just takes a bit of setting up and tweaking to be more-or-less uniform across all characters.

Downside; my neighbors probably think I am either crazy or an extreme trekkie. Or both.

"FIRE EVERYTHING! SHIELDS! TORPEDO! REVERSE SHIELDS! ALL STOP! FIRE! EVASIVE! SHIELDS! FIRE! TARGET!
    Hail Starfleet.
    "
    amidst ship audible suggestions and sounds of lasers and explosions... :D
    Full Name: Zeryn Zebulon Zebular 
    Short Name: Zebular ( @zebular )
    Starfleet Rank / Serial: Vice Admiral, Field Captain / SZ-872-112
    Fleet Registry / Command Ship: Fleet Admiral of the Betazed Patrol / U.S.S. Zebulon, NX-91333-C
    Diplomatic Registry: Starfleet Ambassador, Betazed Ambassador, Son of the Thirteenth House of Betazed
    Species / Birth Date / Birth Place: Half-Betazoid, Half-Human / Stardate 27481.22 / Rixx City, Betazed

Handles: @zebular (PC)@MtnDewFreak (XBOX)@Terraseer (PS4)
  • lpthomasmariklpthomasmarik Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I tried getting the keybinds to work on my controller but I never could get it to work quite right.

Now I just point and click while moving with the WASD keys and forget about trying to play in first person mode on the ground.
  • bjchiemarabjchiemara Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I use my PS3 controller setup to be recognized as xbox 360 controller in windows 7 using a program called motioninjoy.

The only time I need to use the mouse is to move the cursor to interact with inventory items, I can use all of my skills, my boff skills, and weapons both in space and on ground.

I was an avid keyboard mouse person since 1996 for multiplayer games, but since owning both an xbox 360 and PS3, and because I'm getting older and with an injury that nearly severed my right thumb, it is harder to use the mouse for prolonged periods.

I find it more comfortable and easier on my right hand to use the PS3 controller for periods longer than an hour.

So there are completely valid reasons for using a controller beyond simply preferring them to keyboard and mouse.
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'll help you out with your XBox 360 contoller delima. Carefully unplug your XBox controller from your computer, and plug it into your XBox where it belongs. :P
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • astroroblaastrorobla Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    For those wanting to try an Xbox 360 controller setup, I put a new forum post up detailing the system I've been working on for a couple of years. It includes links to the keybind files as well as PDF guides for the controllers and tray setup.

The new thread is at Xbox 360 Controller Keybinds: Updated for S7
    Now a top-rated spotlight mission!
    STO-sig.jpg
  • joestylesjoestyles Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I don't understand the hate on controllers. This is the sort of thing they were invented for in the first place.

I use a PS3 Controller using the same Motioninjoy software as the guy above. I use it because when I play, "I am chill". I sit in a recliner and play on a 60" HDTV using the Controller and Wireless Mouse KB setup sitting next to me. Sometimes I am drinking or otherwise as well. This is entertainment, not a profession.

TRIBBLE that nonsense about sitting at a computer desk and putting unnecessary stress on myself trying to hit all of these KB keys and manipulate everything with the mouse. :rolleyes:
  • agent0018agent0018 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I been hearing a rumor that STO maybe coming out with a patch for keybinding for the Xbox 360 controller if this is true please post here. Also if you already use a Xbox controller tell me how it is.:)

You may want to give this a try - I know its an old post but i just got the game and was curious about controller support while the patch is updating....

http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/pc-controller-support/alpha-gamepad-joystick/xbox-360-ps3-psx-etc/star-trek-online
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I originally tried the native STO controller support and it didn't take long to realize there's simply too much to try and do with a gamepad.

However, since I use pinnacle for some other games I decided today to try the controller profile for STO.

I found that if I combined commands for mouse look and shooter mode to the same button it actually made ground combat a lot better especially when using the over the shoulder camera zoom. You could easily spend an hour or two trying to get the key binds exactly the way you want them, but even with combining as many commands as possible there's still things your going to sacrifice.

This is actually where a feature of Neverwinter could really be of use for STO. In Neverwinter you're locked into their equivalent of shooter mode until you press ALT which gives you control over the mouse pointer for all your menu needs. This would allow you full access of the skill tray and everything else without having to resort to still using a keyboard as well, but STO has no similar option at this time. I still find for space combat that the old keyboard and mouse is the way to go.

STO would really need to implement a voice command feature to really make full use of a controller.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]