test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is it better to grind blue Doffs or sell Keys?

fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Duty Officer System and R&D
We seem to be getting close to the point where it might be cheaper, or at least worth the risk, to convert Zen into Dilithium, buy blue Doffs from the exchange, grind them up and sell the purples, rather than buying Keys and selling them directly.

Buying Keys:

250 Zen = 2 Keys = ~3,000,000 EC Profit

vs.

Buying Dilithium and grinding Doffs:

250 Zen @140 Dilithium/Zen = 35,000 Dilithium = 7 up-grinds

35 blue Doffs from the exchange @~140 each = 4,900,000 EC investment cost

=> 7 purple Doffs at an average price* of 1,580,000 = 11,060,000 EC return
(median price would be 1,250,000 = 8,750,000 EC)

=> 11,060,000 EC - 4,900,000 EC initial investment = 6,160,000 profit

*I calculated average purple Doff prices by averaging the 3 cheapest Fed Doffs currently in the exchange from every specialization that can be found in the normal SFA grinder. Distribution was as follows:

>3,000,000 = 7
2,500k - 3.000k = 3
2,000k - 2,499k = 3
1,500k - 1,999k = 4
1,000k - 1,499k = 14
<1,000,000 = 13

So on average, it should be much more rewarding to buy Dilithium with Zen and grind Doffs rather than buying Keys and selling them on the exchange. Of course this calculation does not take into account that the ceiling can be much higher, if you get favorable traits, trait combinations or Doff skills (e.g. TacTeam Conn vs. Evasive Conn).

any thoughts or opinions?
Post edited by fraghul2000 on

Comments

• Options
    aestuaestu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Turning Zen into DL in the current market makes no sense, because Zen prices are extremely deflated. You should be doing the opposite - turning DL into Zen. Now is the best time to do so; I just got my assault Sovereign today after a few hours of grinding.

The best way to make EC with doffs is to farm crits on colonial support and mill the purples into blues.

The premise of your post is that you're buying Zen with $$$ to turn into EC. I did that quite a bit when starting out, but once you've gotten established, it's silly and illogical to do so (and very, very expensive - to do what you describe as an established practice would cost more than buying a host of brand-new games and defeat the purpose of playing the game.

Yet you are buying Zen to turn into EC as an established practice, hence your formula, "We seem to be getting close to the point...rather than..." implying you're in the long-term habit of dumping large amounts of $$$ into this game as the source of your EC supply.

I struggle to understand why any legitimate player would write a long, in-depth theorycraft on such a premise. It would be more logical to explore ways of making EC within the game itself. It's hard to escape the conclusion you're simply trying to create a rationalization for players to spend $$$ on Zen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    aestu wrote: »

The best way to make EC with doffs is to farm crits on colonial support and mill the purples into blues.

Could you walk me through this process a bit? I'm saving up EC to buy a couple of lockbox ships and it seems more economical than spending my stipend on Reinforcement Packs hoping I'll get lucky and score a Bug I can sell :P
  • Options
    aestuaestu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Umm. Not really a lot to it.

I do Explore Strange Worlds daily. I progress the daily entirely through Diplomatic Investigations (requires Rank 4 Diplomacy) which count towards exploring star clusters (I keep all Explore missions in my assignment log at all times). I do any Diplomatic Investigations whenever they are up, transwarping from star cluster to star cluster using my freighter, with my hearth set to DS9 with the "Through the Looking Glass" episode.

In this way, itinerary is diverse enough that a Support Colonization Efforts doff assignment is almost always up on at least one star cluster. Simple math, takes on average three star cluster explorations to complete the Explore Strange Worlds daily. Doing the daily can thus easily mill out a purple doff a day, which can be sold or broken down into rares.

My long-term goal is to complete all the Explore the Star Cluster title-granting accolades, with much greater time efficiency and yield-per-hour than simply grinding them out. I am about two-thirds done overall.

Incidentally, is there a reward for finishing all those accolades, besides the individual titles - like a special title for exploring them all, or some other sort of reward? I'm pretty sure not, but does anyone know better?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    plox21plox21 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Do colonial assigments in clusters for doffs , they are easy to do and you get purples and blue doffs for them , and refugees.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    focslainfocslain Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    aestu wrote: »

My long-term goal is to complete all the Explore the Star Cluster title-granting accolades, with much greater time efficiency and yield-per-hour than simply grinding them out. I am about two-thirds done overall.

Incidentally, is there a reward for finishing all those accolades, besides the individual titles - like a special title for exploring them all, or some other sort of reward? I'm pretty sure not, but does anyone know better?

There is no bonus that I have seen and I have three characters that have completed all the colony chains (two FEDs and one Klink).