test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Citizens

atzepanatzepan Member Posts: 4
edited November 2012 in Ten Forward
I thought i might give it a shot, posting this kickstarter project on the forum 6 days left, and allready above 170% percent, so they are definetly going to try to create the game. Whicht is the reason why i thought posting it here to see if they could reach the 4 mio goal.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/final-push-mission-briefing-video/

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    deano65ehgdeano65ehg Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Already contrubuted my pledge
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have to admit it DOES seem pretty interesting?
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Looks great and will be playing this when its released in 2 years. Until then I will hang onto my money.
  • Options
    sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yup. Done did it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    also following, just not sure how much i wanna spend on it... looks really good though, wish we could pilot bigger "capital" ships then just fighters. Will see how it all turns out though.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    thomas12255thomas12255 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It is now the most crowd funded game ever and is well on it's way to reaching $5 million, the dev's are doing a 24 hour cast in 8 hours for the last day.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen-live-chat/
    [SIGPIC]http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Thomas45-STO.png[/SIGPIC]

{UFP}Thomas45 - Thomas Nixon U.S.S. Majesty Unbound
  • Options
    wargibbonwargibbon Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    One thing i'm really looking forward to with this, is the modding side of things which has already been stated will be included.

Lastly, and most importantly, there won't be any greed shown by Chris Roberts, you pay for the game and that's it. Not like Cryptic who just want to bleed gamers dry with monotonous gamelplay and new and ridiculous ways to separate you from your hard earned cash. At least Chris Roberts treats his fanbase with respect.
    Founder of the 3rd Foot & Mouth Federation Fleet. Join today!

The Khasi of Kalabar: They will die the death of a thousand cuts!
    Princess Jelhi: Oh! But that's horrible!
    The Khasi of Kalabar: Not at all my little desert flower, the British are used to cuts!
  • Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    wargibbon wrote: »
    One thing i'm really looking forward to with this, is the modding side of things which has already been stated will be included.

Lastly, and most importantly, there won't be any greed shown by Chris Roberts, you pay for the game and that's it. Not like Cryptic who just want to bleed gamers dry with monotonous gamelplay and new and ridiculous ways to separate you from your hard earned cash. At least Chris Roberts treats his fanbase with respect.

I have to ask - how does a project like this stay funded?

I really would like to know, it seems like if you just pick up the game, then eventually your revenue is going to crumble and your game won't last more than a few years, tops. I've wondered the same about GW2, for that matter, but as I might actually be interested in Star Citizen, the sustainability has me curious.
  • Options
    hortworthortwort Member Posts: 281
    edited November 2012
    red01999 wrote: »
    I have to ask - how does a project like this stay funded?

I really would like to know, it seems like if you just pick up the game, then eventually your revenue is going to crumble and your game won't last more than a few years, tops. I've wondered the same about GW2, for that matter, but as I might actually be interested in Star Citizen, the sustainability has me curious.

Let's say 100,000 buy the game when it's new. They like it. They play it. They tell their friends.

Over the next 6 months, 1,000,000 more people buy the game.

Over the 6 months after that, 3,000,000 more people buy the game.

Over the 6 months after that....

You don't have to milk the same customers over and over if your game is good enough to attract new customers. I find it really amusing to have to type it out, too. :P
    I miss my _.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Well that's it done, we reached $6.2M

• Options
    therealsivartherealsivar Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well that's it done, we reached $6.2M

People really wanted the playable Bengal-class carrier in that game, they went from 4.1 (or w/e it was) to 6.2 million in 48 hours after that announcement......damn impressive if you ask me.

Six million was the original 'secret' goal, so now the game is going to have everything that they were planning and hoping to be able to put into it. Over 100 systems, original soundtrack, wing commander actor(s), a 'deep and rich storyline' for squadron 42 and so on.

Should be out in 2-3 years baring incidents.....here's to hoping :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Support a KDF equivalent to the Vesta Here
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yep - and the amazing thing was - about 24 hours to the end of the crowdfunding campaign the total was at about 4 million; so they received 2.2 million more in the space of about 24 hours at the end. (Just hope the site comes up quick as I hadn't read all the unlocked system updates.)

But, yes, this is the Wing Commander/Privateer style MMO (yes, I know, they're not calling it an MMO per se as it it very non-traditional in progression design, but with persistent universe public servers that store your character, etc; it's MMO enough) I thought I'd never see after EA bought out and gutted Origin and Mico$oft bought out Digital Anvil.)

It's gonna be a long 2 1/2 year wait to get to the persistent universe beta (although from all reports we should have a multiplayer Alpha to be a part of in a year or so.)

Still, as a longtime space sim fan; it's nice to be able to prove the big publishers wrong and show there indeed is A LOT of gamer support for this type of non-console PC game (with a massively-multiplayer component.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    therealsivartherealsivar Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yep - and the amazing thing was - about 24 hours to the end of the crowdfunding campaign the total was at about 4 million; so they received 2.2 million more in the space of about 24 hours at the end. (Just hope the site comes up quick as I hadn't read all the unlocked system updates.)

But, yes, this is the Wing Commander/Privateer style MMO (yes, I know, they're not calling it an MMO per se as it it very non-traditional in progression design, but with persistent universe public servers that store your character, etc; it's MMO enough) I thought I'd never see after EA bought out and gutted Origin and Mico$oft bought out Digital Anvil.)

It's gonna be a long 2 1/2 year wait to get to the persistent universe beta (although from all reports we should have a multiplayer Alpha to be a part of in a year or so.)

Still, as a longtime space sim fan; it's nice to be able to prove the big publishers wrong and show there indeed is A LOT of gamer support for this type of non-console PC game (with a massively-multiplayer component.)

Unfortunate part for me is that I'm definitely going to have to buy a new machine before it comes out........or maybe that's not such a bad thing, lol ;).

But yeah, after Roberts sold Digital Anvil and decided to take a break from game design.....there really wasn't anything that could compare to Wing Commander or Privateer in terms of a true Space Sim. EVE Online gave the scale but not the gameplay, and Freelancer had potential, but it always felt like it fell short.

Hopefully this will be everything that they've (and we have for that matter) been hoping to see for over a decade now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Support a KDF equivalent to the Vesta Here
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Everyone will play MP... that's where the action was in Freelancer and this is what Star Citizen is, I think you are being naive.