test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Disney Wants to Produce 2-3 ?Star Wars? Movies a Year?!

hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Ten Forward
Ok Why can't we get this love for a Star Trek movie geez? Is Disney for real? This all smacks of the Marvel model they are using now, and it's working there, so why not here two? I mean you still have the main storyline, then have a few side stories that link back tot he main story. I love the idea, and I hope they can pull it off.

But what stories will we see? Does anyone have an idea what they might be planning? Spoilers please lol.

http://screencrush.com/disney-star-wars-2-3-years/
Post edited by hawkwing43 on

Comments

• Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The quote says they want Lucasfilm to make 2-3 movies per year, not necessarily Star Wars. That could also includes Indiana Jones, or remakes/sequels to a number of one-off properties like Willow or (God forbid) Howard the Duck. Good lord, that's a scary thought. Quick, somebody find out if Lucasfilm still has the rights to Howard the Duck, because if Disney has the rights to make a sequel to that, the world is doomed.

It could also involve assembly line disposable straight-to-DVD junk that Disney's quite prolific at. And let's also not forget that Disney is no stranger to remastering their remastered remasters.

Third possibility: It could involve using Lucasfilm to produce films for other Disney properties. Between the new studio facilities and owning ILM, one of those 3 films could be going towards (for example) a faster release schedule for Marvel films.

Disney got more in this deal than just Star Wars, and remember, marking is everything to Disney. It's not just the movies, but the toys and everything else they can slap a logo on and sell at Wal Mart. Why make three Star Wars movies with one toy line when you can make Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Labyrinth all with their own separate toy lines?
  • Options
    hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    That's a good point, I forgot about the other brands under the Lucas name. But still one can only hope they give Star Wars the Marvel treatment.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If it is all star wars films, then the difference is marvel films all use at least one big name character with decades of history.

when you watch iron man you are watching an iron man movie not a marvel movie.

while starwars is certainly big enough, it will almost certainly have to be new characters that we have never heard from before so they just become 'star wars' films and that might oversaturate the market for that type of film.

if they no longer feel special, and there is no immediate connection to the characters then it might work against them.

then again they are often made as kids films, and probably more so with the disney brand so they should still do well.
  • Options
    hortworthortwort Member Posts: 281
    edited November 2012
    El Pollo Diablo!! The daemon chicken! The movie!
    I miss my _.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 924 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The sad reality about Disney buying Lucas, in light of the above:

Disney WOULD seriously consider doing a "reboot" of Howard the Duck....with the seemingly endless stable of tween wannabe pop stars.....

Also, does anyone remember the books based off Willow that had Lucas listed as one of the "co-authors"? Yeah, I had those....still have the last one buried somewhere...

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    After checking, it's not clear if Lucasfilm still has the film rights to Howard the Duck, but what is clear: If they don't, Marvel does, so Disney has it anyway. And so the sixth seal has been opened.

Oh, and worse: Howard the Duck is part of the Marvel Universe, and could potentially be included in the shared continuity. He even had an Iron Man suit at one point, which raises all kinds of horrifying possibilities.
  • Options
    hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Think the Jar Jar CGI, paint his nose orange, the rest of him white and subtract pants.

Be afraid.

Be very, very afraid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 924 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    hevach wrote: »
    After checking, it's not clear if Lucasfilm still has the film rights to Howard the Duck, but what is clear: If they don't, Marvel does, so Disney has it anyway. And so the sixth seal has been opened.

Oh, and worse: Howard the Duck is part of the Marvel Universe, and could potentially be included in the shared continuity. He even had an Iron Man suit at one point, which raises all kinds of horrifying possibilities.

Which raises this question: What in the nine TRIBBLE was Marvel thinking when they made this dud? Were they high, drunk, stoned, or a combination of the above?

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    He was silver age weirdness. A lot of strange, strange things happened in those days, and he doesn't even manage to be one of the most weird.

For some reason he's never quite disappeared, but he's not exactly given a good break of it. In Civil War, he actually tried to register under the Superhuman Registration Act, and the government told him they hated him so much they didn't even want him to register. Aside from a short-lived superteam with She-hulk and some other knockoff characters he's only been an occasional background character or cheap gag.
  • Options
    admiralandyadmiralandy Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    hawkwing43 wrote: »
    Ok Why can't we get this love for a Star Trek movie geez? Is Disney for real? This all smacks of the Marvel model they are using now, and it's working there, so why not here two? I mean you still have the main storyline, then have a few side stories that link back tot he main story. I love the idea, and I hope they can pull it off.

But what stories will we see? Does anyone have an idea what they might be planning? Spoilers please lol.

Well there's a bout 30-40 novels (at least), comics, graphic novels. All based pre and post the original six film series so take your pick. Video games...

In all honesty if they're following the Marvel Model expect Jedi Origins, most likely 1 offs filling in original jedi v sith v madolran conflicts.

Backs Stories of Yoda, Han meeting Chewie, the bounty hunter stories, jabba the hutt...

After the 6 ieThrawn and the New Republic.

If following Marvel Model expect them to sample the literature and hey presto screen time.

So like there's about a dozen films right there and it took me like 5 seconds to think of that.

Also baring in mind there last big film (John Carter) was taken from a book series.
  • Options
    admiralandyadmiralandy Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If it is all star wars films, then the difference is marvel films all use at least one big name character with decades of history.

when you watch iron man you are watching an iron man movie not a marvel movie.

while starwars is certainly big enough, it will almost certainly have to be new characters that we have never heard from before so they just become 'star wars' films and that might oversaturate the market for that type of film.

if they no longer feel special, and there is no immediate connection to the characters then it might work against them.

then again they are often made as kids films, and probably more so with the disney brand so they should still do well.

Er yeah but not everyone (as in most except for the group of fans) knows the decades of story behind the character, which though Iconic is not really known or understood or why do you think the first of almost any of the films is a back story.

I saw a documentary a while back saying that the most successful marvel titles sell 100K copies a month Worldwide... If a film relays on that level of fandom alone you'd be lucky to get a Television Movie budget much less an epic blockbuster.

Who knew the History of John Carter, I did and would recommend anyone who reads to check out the depth of adaptions of Edgar Rice Burroughs especially the lesser known character (TARZAN). But it didn't stop them turning out a big budget film production.

But for classic pulp fiction Burroughs Tarzan pisses all over Howard's Conan.
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    hawkwing43 wrote: »

Lucasfilm's co-chairman and soon-to-be president, Kathleen Kennedy, has told employees she wants the company to produce two or three films a year (it?s averaged fewer than four per decade), and first up is Star Wars: Episode VII for 2015.
    It doesn't say anything about making two to three "Star Wars" movies per year. If you read the quote as it was intended, she wants to make two to three Lucasfilms movies a year. Big difference in interpretation. It just so happens that "Star Wars: VII" is the first Lucasfilm to be considered.

Link: Lucasfilm to Make 2-3 Movies a Year

ScreenRant got the story right.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I think if they make 2 or 3 Stars Wars movies a year, I will die a little bit inside every time one comes out. At that point they're not making Star Wars, they're making TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    shaddam01shaddam01 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    think the one above me is jelly his star trek want be geting that kinda love
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    shaddam01 wrote: »
    think the one above me is jelly his star trek want be geting that kinda love

No, Abrams is doing a fine job dammaging it without disney's help.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    shaddam01shaddam01 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    No, Abrams is doing a fine job dammaging it without disney's help.:rolleyes:

well i have to agree with that 100%
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm actually really happy that Lucas sold the rights to Disney. While I didn't mind the prequel trilogy, there were bits in it I didn't like, and too many things which smacked of Lucas simply doing it because he's George Lucas and he's God and he can do whatever the frak he likes because he invented Star Wars (Can you tell how much I luuurve Lucas? :rolleyes: ) I really enjoyed the first clone war cartoons, as they spanned the story between AoTC and RoTS brilliantly. There was no need for there to be another clone wars series telling a different set of stories in the same time period (and I've refused to watch them) Then we have the introduction of this Little Miss...

Ahsoka Tano

... further pointing out that Lucas is not only a sell out, but a borderline deviant as well :eek:

So Lucas sold out to Disney... Whoopdefrakindo... The guy was a hack writer and mediocre director anyway, he certainly can't hold a candle to a director like Sir Ridley Scott... So Disney are now going to be in charge... I have no beef with that, Disney's output speaks for itself in terms of quality, so Disney being in charge of Star Wars can only mean decent output with no "I think this, and what I say goes" interference from Lucas :)