test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PvP Rep System (space+ground combat)

diplom4tdiplom4t Member Posts: 19 Arc User
Since PWE is all about this rep system, why not make a pvp rep system.
Here is my idea on how this may work.

Your floating around in sector space and you see someone you wanna pvp (solo),
you send pvp challange, if they accept you both earn 2 pvp rep.

In this pvp rep combat tho, you cant destory your target in space, you must
disable it, then board his ship to destory it from the inside out.

In more detail, you and your target fire it off at each other for a good 2mins
or whatever it takes to get him down to 5% health, when your target reaches this 5%
health, his systems disable and he wakes up from a black dazes on a burning bridge w/
smoke and wires hangin down and maybe a fuzzy viewscreen but at the same time, the guy
who disable his ship beamed into his ship on the ENG deck or MED deck or whatever.

Now on his targets ship he must fight his way with his away team deck by deck going
to waypoints to disable even more systems thruout the ship.. each waypoint giving
some kind of pvp rep i guess but at the same time, the man on the bridge who just woke
up from blackness must start to repair his ship deck by deck, and if he can repair his ship faster then the guy attacking, the attacker well be beamed back to his ship only to find that
the once disable ship is at 50% or 75% and they can battle once again, and maybe a chance
to turn the tables.

This Pvp idea will bring who new life on pvp i think, and if there is way to bring more
players such as team and fleets this idea can even grow more and more.

Example for fleets, is 5 vs 5, but each team has a lead ship that must be protect, as in
all other ships can be destoryed, but if the lead fleet ship is down to 5%, the other
team can board, and then you have one team attacking, and other fleet team repairing..
again giving pvp rep..

thats my idea.. hope you like it
Post edited by diplom4t on

Comments

• Options
    stealthriderstealthrider Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Only if they add a 40 hour timer in between each step.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Actually they said they would in one of the podcasts.

If memory serves it will be for pvp gear only.

I expect everything to run through the reputation system from here on out. Mini-factions and items and what not
  • Options
    dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    vestereng wrote: »

I expect everything to run through the reputation system from here on out. Mini-factions and items and what not

I think they said they COULD, not WOULD...there is a great difference between those two statements...
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'd rather see new sets and stuff with a new PvE rep instead of a pvp rep. It'll bring more AFK and will be frustrating for many people playing pve; it's completely another game since the difference between pvp and pve is similar to the one between space and ground. PvP could use some more modes, many new maps (why not foundry ones via a contest? :D), but i'm not sure a pvp rep system is what the game needs, although pvp is cheap endgame content.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    yeah.. a good idea..

except i would stay in the space, and separate duells on the ground.

cause there is no PVP in fighting through some "stations" on a ship.

if so, then let the space winner spawn on the bridge - he and his away team of 1, against the captain also with one BOFF.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I'd have to listen to several podcasts to dig it out and I'd probably have to blow my brains out in the attempt so I can't prove anything. I like some of the info coming out on there but the method it's delivered is not really my style.

But I am pretty sure it was said they would make a pvp rep because I remember they said it would be for pvp gear only and the guy doing the interview said something about a lot of people jumping their seats over it.

But if you feel up to it it's somewhere between 100-104 or simply mail the people who do the podcast, I am pretty sure I am right
  • Options
    diplom4tdiplom4t Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    duaths1 wrote: »
    yeah.. a good idea..

except i would stay in the space, and separate duells on the ground.

cause there is no PVP in fighting through some "stations" on a ship.

if so, then let the space winner spawn on the bridge - he and his away team of 1, against the captain also with one BOFF.

i see your point, reason my idea was for a pvp system to tie in ground(in ship) combat and space is from watching so many star trek shows, where they beam on attackers ships sometimes after they take shields down or what not.. :) again just an idea..
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I really think what they need with this game for as far as how the reputation system goes for a PvP system they should create maps with as many talked about or seen locations in the Star Trek universe.

Use that theme for space and ground combat for PvP and PvE so that you fight both players and npcs or both depending on the way they would wanna develop it so that what the player does impacts the fight for territory in each individual instance. Most likely I would think that there wouldn't be any respawning going on if you blew up you would leave the match and then if someone else is in the que they take your space for a more realistic approach to that. Being there would most likely be a cool down for re-entry depending on a time limit since a lot of people have many many characters and would help PWE/Cryptic with character slot sales that eventually you could take it but this would be something that would be beneficial for time gated content so the NPC factions would get reinforcements every so many intervals and if you can cut through them and capture before they have time to take you out with reinforcements it would be captured for your faction.

The grind breaker of it to balance it out is certain ques or what not for doing this for example if you wanted to take out their ability to communicate or activate rotating jamming pulses to benefit your attacking force you would need to have for example maybe a tier 2 or 3 of those reputations. With what they have done with rep systems so far and starbases combined the system could work it would be all about combining that tech and then making the maps. So it seems doable from a player stand point.
  • Options
    mavgeekrsamavgeekrsa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

They've also promised new maps and revamps to the pvp system.

For almost three years now.

KDF and The Foundry have seen far more updates than PvP, while PvP has seen basically two updates in two point five years; the ability to setup custom matches (including cross faction) and adding the map Shanty Town. Beyond that, nothing.

Basically, don't hold your breath.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    redshirtarmy.com - RedShirtArmy Podcast
    STO / Cryptic member since 2009 (mavgeek)
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    mavgeekrsa wrote: »
    They've also promised new maps and revamps to the pvp system.

For almost three years now.

KDF and The Foundry have seen far more updates than PvP, while PvP has seen basically two updates in two point five years; the ability to setup custom matches (including cross faction) and adding the map Shanty Town. Beyond that, nothing.

Basically, don't hold your breath.

Just imagine how many players would have died if they had to actually hold their breath for things promised :D ROFL
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Heheh, what they make good on is out of my hands naturally, I can only say what they said

If it were me I'd make certain areas of space flagged for open combat. Maybe 2 or 3 clusters.
    Then I'd set up maybe cargo missions, would what be the most trek, transport diplomats I don't know whatever, for dilithium rewards.

You could easily tie it into the story of supporting say the romulans and running transport misision for them and attacking eachother's convoys.
    The main reason I like my own idea is you'd add a sense of the unknown everytime you go in there and it would give you a reason to fly with your fleet and really co-operate.

Personally I think they ignore pvp because they feel the userbase is too small, sort of like ignoring the kling faction.
  • Options
    thepleasuredomethepleasuredome Member Posts: 308
    edited November 2012
    I'd have to listen to several podcasts to dig it out and I'd probably have to blow my brains out in the attempt so I can't prove anything. I like some of the info coming out on there but the method it's delivered is not really my style.

But I am pretty sure it was said they would make a pvp rep because I remember they said it would be for pvp gear only and the guy doing the interview said something about a lot of people jumping their seats over it.

But if you feel up to it it's somewhere between 100-104 or simply mail the people who do the podcast, I am pretty sure I am right

It was priority one's podcast last week. and Gecko said could use it for pvp. Made one or two more sentences about it then it was never brought up again. Therefore there is no would planned.
    Arawn & Ihasa
    OP *is* the new balance, whether you know it or not! Gecko says so.
    Season 7 - Exodus, available online. U buy nao!
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/738221-monetizing-perfect-world-s-latest-update
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mavgeekrsamavgeekrsa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It was priority one's podcast last week. and Gecko said could use it for pvp. Made one or two more sentences about it then it was never brought up again. Therefore there is no would planned.

Gecko (and the other devs) say a lot of things. What actually makes it beyond the discussion table and into the game is an entirely different story.

I'm still of the belief that if the Foundry had the system hooks in place to let you set up a map for pvp, setting up win conditions (like team a reaching x amount of points for doing something) you'd see a huge boon to the sto pvp community (and foundry by extension). Hell I made a video showing how easy it was to whip together a custom map in the Foundry, just basic stuff, within a matter of minutes. It wasn't the prettiest of maps but you can see how easily someone who is great at designing a map, could really make some awesome pvp maps. We just don't have any option to hook into the system for anything pvp related.

Which is sad cause at this point, three years later, it's obvious Cryptic isn't going to support it's pvp community, no matter how small we are. If we could make the maps ourselves, the problem would solve itself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    redshirtarmy.com - RedShirtArmy Podcast
    STO / Cryptic member since 2009 (mavgeek)
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    You sound so sure I almost doubt myself but I still think I heard it right; pretty sure there was no officials on the air last week either.

Almost made me try and go look for it but I don't have the mental surplus right now to listen through it.

I think the foundry part is a great idea just it's a semi declaration of failure when you have your players creating the content.

But yeah totally, if they don't want to work on pvp let the players do it themselves.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I really don't like the idea of a PvP Reputation system.

For starters, giving any boosts to PvP will just shift power more to the hardcore players and make it harder for casual players. We seen this with TOR with their expertise system.

Second the STO population of PvPers is very low, making a system around a tiny fraction of the community is a waste of precious time.

Third, those who do not do PvP now would grind the system and add problems like AFKing or people resorting to private queues to avoid PvPers in general.

In short, don't add incentives to PvP because the PVP itself should be the incentive for playing.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    That problem is already there. People with nothing to do all purple consoles flying a bug ship vs a guy that hit VA last night :D

Over in DCUO they have a version of pvp where you play iconic characters, like batman vs robin.

In STO you'd then fly premade but famous ships I don't know if pvp'ers would like that.
    It would also require the developers making a whole line of ship and balancing them, so yeah
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    diplom4t wrote: »
    Since PWE is all about this rep system, why not make a pvp rep system.

Here is my idea on how this may work.

Your floating around in sector space and you see someone you wanna pvp (solo),
    you send pvp challange, if they accept you both earn 2 pvp rep.

In this pvp rep combat tho, you cant destroy your target in space, you must
    disable it, then board his ship to destroy it from the inside out.

I like your idea to a certain point:

A) Maintain Space & Ground separated - Too long of a PvP session just to earn 2 points is less then entertaining and a bore at best.

B) With the rise of OP Consoles this could prove a challenge for both players and Devs and a NEW system must be implemented on order to ban OP Ships and OP Consoles. The PvP system must have ships requirements and adjusted accordingly - also additional rewards will give an incentive for players to participate in the PvP event.

C) Open PvP instances should be designed - most typical MMO's will give you an option to turn off PvP on yourself, so players who wish to be attacked in the open have the option to turn it on - again rank requirements apply.

D) Open territorial claim with rewards should be implemented, Move that border, sway it - even it means getting the KDF redline to the very doorstep of the Federation Sol System.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg