test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 7, one players perspective

vikingraidervikingraider Member Posts: 0 Arc User
First off, I tip my hat to the developers. They spent obviously many, many hours creating this new content. Most of which is visually very beautiful!
Ok, that being said, this is my take on the new gameplay:

Romulan faction:

New Romulus is a much needed addition to this game. It has been lacking in any real ground mission since launch. The landscape is very well built and is visually striking. BUT... No more so than every other MMO out today. There's nothing, other than the Star Trek theme, to distinguish it. Along with that the missions are dubious and have very poor rewards for the time spent doing them. At least with every other MMO there are decent enough rewards to keep doing mission/quests.

As for the space missions (ones in the queue), they are interesting to do a couple times but quickly become quite boring and no real reward for them even in Romulan Marks. These, IMO, are a complete and utter waste of time and wholly unimaginative.

Romulan Patrol Missions. THIS is the only worthwhile thing about the Romulan faction. 1 hour max to do the daily to get 60 Marks. On top of that, most old timers remember doing almost solely Patrol missions to level in the early days so it kind of adds a little nostalgia to the game. Also, btw, is the only part that you can actually get enough vendor/exchange loot to make EC's. If they added a pittance of Dilithium to this daily I'd never leave the new sector save to sell loot.

So, on a 5 star scale I give the following:
New Romulous: 1 star gameplay, 2 star rewards, 5 star visual. Romulan Space: 1 star across the board. Romulan Patrol: 1 star originality, 4 star content, 3 star rewards.

Ok, on to Omega Faction.

First off, I'd like to say removal of vendor/exchange drops in the STF's is a great travesty. The removal of Dilithium was unforgivable even with them returning SOME of it. I know they could have just removed the salvage and tech drops from the loot table and switched the 100% chance EDC to the new. No one would have been offended and raged. Everyone would have been happy. People would still have been doing STF's as much as before. I have yet to see a satisfactory explanation for this move, but we probably never will. Anyway, my thoughts on the STFs now?

Into the Hive (both G and S, N and E):

Complete and utter waste of time. WAY too hard for no rewards. When you can do ISE and KASE in 30 minutes to get almost twice the current rewards there's really not much point to do Hive unless you are REALLY are bored and want a challenge and don't care if you succeed or fail. IMO, Hive is just full of fail.

There is absolutely no part of this aspect of the season that I enjoy, and am totally disappointed with it. (I, being one of those that ONLY did elite STF's before).

OK As for the new Rep System...

40 hours per 2 assignments!?!? Have the devs gone completely insane? The time sink here to get to tier 4 (where you finally get the rewards you could have gotten in 1day to 1 week before) is completely off. It reminds me of playing Eve online and having to wait a month of real time waiting for my skills to finish to fly that cool ship I wanted... Ya, no, bad move Cryptic.

BUT... on the flip side of this. I no longer have to actually PLAY my 6 toons, only need to play one per faction to earn the EC to keep the other 4's faction assignments rolling. Time saver there that allows me to actually play the content. When said toons that I don't regularly play now need dilith, I can always spend a day a week to get their cap. Or 2 hours on my Klingons to get TWENTY THOUSAND UNREFINED. Yes... you really can get 20K unrefined in 2-3 hours without doing PvP Klingon side... Fed side... not so much... but Fed gets all the new toys and Klinks get Dilithium. Even trade there, imo. ( like I said I have 6 toons all been maxed out for a year or more, one of each class and each faction).

I guess what I'm rambling on about is the new rep system is very good for people that have multiple toons they actually play, and want to advance them. The time needed between assignments give us this. Even though I hate how long they take, I think it is a good thing not to have to do JUST one thing to advance multiples and you can actually play content with them while you wait on the ungodly long personal timers.

In conclusion, this season has forced me to change the way I play. Not sure yet if this is a good or bad thing, and the "new" hasn't worn off the Season yet. And I will, as the Borg do, Adapt.

Thank you Cryptic for a game, more or less, worth paying for!:cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by vikingraider on

Comments

• sensorghostsensorghost Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I vote less enjoyable now. On the whole the F2P and casual play members got shafted, hardcore, with a 2x4 up the TRIBBLE sideways.
  • pkunkpkunk Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I agree. On the whole the game has become less amusing.

New Romulus was interesting for a peek, but not very fun overall. I still prefer playing around Deferi myself.

STF's are totally ruined. There's pretty much no point to doing them anymore. I've run 2 STF's since S7 was put live. Into the Hive twice (once on normal, once on elite.) I was running STF's 3-6 times a day prior to S7, trying to get more decent drops, or improve my ship, or save up EDC's to get purple borg doffs.

DOFF trade-ups getting outrageous dilithium costs really irritates me and damages an aspect of the game I was very much enjoying: The Duty Officer mission system. Call me strange but that was probably my favorite thing to do, fly around looking for good missions to send my doffs out on.

Now the trade-ups are so expensive to improve my roster, it's taken a lot of the fun out of it. And ultimately damages my fleet, because I can't afford to invest dilithium into fleet projects anymore.

Reputation system? Time sink, not very interesting. I think if I were a new lvl 50 right now, I'd be pretty annoyed about this new system. I was lucky, I hit 50 a month ago and did lots of STF's and got plenty of top tier gear for my ships I like to fly. I remember Cryptice/PWE stating the purpose of this reputation system change was to level the playing field for people getting difficult gear... but I'm not seeing that at all... I've gone from getting a handful of prototype drops everyday, to zero.

But I will look it at from a different angle and give a soft hand-clap, this makes the game harder. Harder is better. It was simply too easy before to be swimming in prototype salvages and top tier gear.

That said, the trade-up dilithium cost on Duty Officers is very bad and seriously impacts my game play and enjoyment of the game. STF's I don't care about. I got everything I needed out of them prior to S7.
  • vikingraidervikingraider Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ya...Doffs.... Didn't think of that one. I just refill my 2-25 doff assignments a day on each toon and dont' really think about it much. I got enough decent doffs to get a success on all and critical success on about a quarter.

I do think the trading of doffs is reminiscent of early 1800's Southern US. Hopefully you catch my drift there.

people, even digital ones, shouldn't be traded, sold, and used like items.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sensorghostsensorghost Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Just wait till all your green doffs jump to 1mill EC in the exchange, all your whites will average 250-500k EC each.