test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tinfoil hat theory on Dilithium changes...

conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
They knew ANY reduction would be met with massive hatred...how do you get people to accept it...

You reduce it far more than you really want to...

You allow the public outrcy for a couple of days...

Then you relent and undo SOME of your changes...which brings the changes back to what you actually planned...

Now instead of being horrible you are instead "good" and listen to your players.
Post edited by conundrumnsa on

Comments

• Options
    mikehawk77mikehawk77 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    LOL@WAFFLING

They never intended to do this. This was a test. Only a test. To see how much B.S. your willing to put up with. Well you've found my limits.
    Adios
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    No conspiracy theory is complete without some oblique references to Roswell and JFK. Throw in the moon landings being faked too. :rolleyes:

Occam's razor. You may want to look it up.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    They knew ANY reduction would be met with massive hatred...how do you get people to accept it...

Then you relent and undo SOME of your changes...which brings the changes back to what you actually planned...

Now instead of being horrible you are instead "good" and listen to your players.

Didn't I and others say this before? :confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2012

I (and others) still have low resolution textures which load when the game wants ,lots of bugs ,no fleet marks from the quicky ,the game offers no reward for playing ground stfs which I like ....should I continue?
  • Options
    conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Didn't I and others say this before? :confused::confused::confused:

Maybe...I don't read every single post.

I'm just posting a theory I've seen repeated many times before across many MMOs.
  • Options
    doomiciledoomicile Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    mikehawk77 wrote: »
    LOL@WAFFLING

They never intended to do this. This was a test. Only a test. To see how much B.S. your willing to put up with. Well you've found my limits.
    Adios

This is pretty much how Oil manipulation works.

1) Find an excuse, any excuse to claim shortage and raise the price per barrel. 9/11, War in Iraq/Afghanistan, Katrina, civil unrest in Egypt/Libya.

2) Raise the price dramatically till it becomes a hot-button issue, then reduce the price but always at least $10-$20 above the previous low price per barrel.

3) Gradually wash, rinse, repeat so that the consumer not only tolerates but actually thinks that the current average of $3.75 per gallon at the pump is a great deal.

4) Go for a swim in the vault.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Exactly. It's an old method of getting people to accept less of what they have by taking it away completely making them realize they are worse off with nothing than what is offered, then giving them back less of what you took and they stop complaining. Then later you take a little more from them and they moan about it and you give them less. Eventually they just stop complaining when you take from them until finally they are left with almost nothing and you have almost everything. Don't be surprised if in the future they nerf more/new easy Dilithium "exploits" (examples: Officer reports daily single click, and Fed B'tran cluster) and then later reduce/remove more from the game.

Their goal WAS to add a reduced Dilithium reward to STFs and knew damn well players wouldn't go for that. Now the hard core STFers don't have a reason to do STFs and they come back as "we listened to your concerns and decided to add the (reduced) Dilithium reward back". Since the hard core STFers had no reason to play their favorite part of the game due to no Dilithium, they will now accept the reduced ammount as "better than nothing" and go about their business.

If the plan is successful, I fear eventually they will find more and more ways to limit the amount of Dilithium we can get (despite them saying they are "adding more ways for you to earn it") People will just accept the fact that Cryptic is going to do it to us and eventually stop complaining.

Here is a link to my theory on this in the thread where Dstahl all up and says "blah blah blah players were frustrated so we put the Dil rewards back into STFs, oh and we reduced the Dil rewards for Fleet Alerts /e trollface".

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=6590591&postcount=164

Long story short I think they are secretly trying to manipulate the Zen/Dilithium exchange economy so players will be more willing to just up and buy the Zen they want with real money and not even bother with the exchange anymore, thus, possibly, ultimately shutting down the Dil exchange for good due to nobody using it and forcing everyone to actually pay real money for Zen.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    doomicile wrote: »
    This is pretty much how Oil manipulation works.

1) Find an excuse, any excuse to claim shortage and raise the price per barrel. 9/11, War in Iraq/Afghanistan, Katrina, civil unrest in Egypt/Libya.

2) Raise the price dramatically till it becomes a hot-button issue, then reduce the price but always at least $10-$20 above the previous low price per barrel.

3) Gradually wash, rinse, repeat so that the consumer not only tolerates but actually thinks that the current average of $3.75 per gallon at the pump is a great deal.

4) Go for a swim in the vault.

In my area in southern Cali, it was $3.95 last week. Today it was $4.13. And a few weeks ago it was damn near $5 :mad:

I remember when gas started getting close to $3 a gallon and someone told me "it will never go below $2 a gallon again". And they were right. :(
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This reminds me of the conspiracy With New coke...When they made New Coke people riot and then brought back old Coke said sorry and Coke cola made even moore money...just a little history lesson.

but yeah it worked for Coke great
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Exactly. It's an old method of getting people to accept less of what they have by taking it away completely making them realize they are worse off with nothing than what is offered, then giving them back less of what you took and they stop complaining. Then later you take a little more from them and they moan about it and you give them less. Eventually they just stop complaining when you take from them until finally they are left with almost nothing and you have almost everything. Don't be surprised if in the future they nerf more/new easy Dilithium "exploits" (examples: Officer reports daily single click, and Fed B'tran cluster) and then later reduce/remove more from the game.

Their goal WAS to add a reduced Dilithium reward to STFs and knew damn well players wouldn't go for that. Now the hard core STFers don't have a reason to do STFs and they come back as "we listened to your concerns and decided to add the (reduced) Dilithium reward back". Since the hard core STFers had no reason to play their favorite part of the game due to no Dilithium, they will now accept the reduced ammount as "better than nothing" and go about their business.

If the plan is successful, I fear eventually they will find more and more ways to limit the amount of Dilithium we can get (despite them saying they are "adding more ways for you to earn it") People will just accept the fact that Cryptic is going to do it to us and eventually stop complaining.

Here is a link to my theory on this in the thread where Dstahl all up and says "blah blah blah players were frustrated so we put the Dil rewards back into STFs, oh and we reduced the Dil rewards for Fleet Alerts /e trollface".

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=6590591&postcount=164

Long story short I think they are secretly trying to manipulate the Zen/Dilithium exchange economy so players will be more willing to just up and buy the Zen they want with real money and not even bother with the exchange anymore, thus, possibly, ultimately shutting down the Dil exchange for good due to nobody using it and forcing everyone to actually pay real money for Zen.

Oh and it is already working perfectly. Examples:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=6591741&postcount=173
    Cryptic did listen to feedback! And they acted accordingly! Astounding!

I very much approve!

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=6591821&postcount=174
    Thank you very much!!!

What a way to listen to the community - Bravo!

More happy posts similar to these before and after these 2 on the thread.

1 word to sum it up: Gullible.
  • Options
    zenzenarimasenzenzenarimasen Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    stofsk wrote: »
    No conspiracy theory is complete without some oblique references to Roswell and JFK. Throw in the moon landings being faked too. :rolleyes:

Hanlon's Razor too. Never attribute to malice what is more easily attributable to stupidity.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Ⓑ Ⓐ
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    changes the player base dont like can kill a mmo SWG any one?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    daan2006 wrote: »
    changes the player base dont like can kill a mmo SWG any one?

I hang out in an IRC chat room where developers from across the game industry hang out. There's even one or two people from Cryptic there. Anyway, Jeff Freeman showed up in the channel one day. He's the man who drove SWG into the ground with the NGE update. He's responsible. Anyway, we all kept our mouths shut about it, but after he logged out we joked about possibly banning him from the chat room simply out of principle.

I don't think this is NGE. NGE was a sweeping change. The only similarities between pre-NGE and NGE on SWG were the graphics, sound effects, and environments.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Ⓑ Ⓐ
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I hang out in an IRC chat room where developers from across the game industry hang out. There's even one or two people from Cryptic there. Anyway, Jeff Freeman showed up in the channel one day. He's the man who drove SWG into the ground with the NGE update. He's responsible. Anyway, we all kept our mouths shut about it, but after he logged out we joked about possibly banning him from the chat room simply out of principle.

I don't think this is NGE. NGE was a sweeping change. The only similarities between pre-NGE and NGE on SWG were the graphics, sound effects, and environments.

i would do it then because now after hereing how much better that game was then sto i soooo wish i had played it now ship battle in that game soundid so awsome :( from what i was told about them is what i was hopeing sto to be like
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    stofsk wrote: »

Never heard the term Occam's Razor before. I couldn't find a simple definition for it so I just came to my own conclusions on what it means. ;)

I see things differently. I wouldn't call us "conspiracy theorists". I prefer to think of us as "logical".

I believe in looking at the consequences of actions, not just of my self, but of everything. This way I am happy and excited if I was wrong and nothing happens, or prepared and know just what to do if something does. I see nothing wrong with being cautious and preparing for the worst, god forbid, if it does happen as we say it will or close to it. I would prefer to be proven wrong in a good way than proven right in a bad way.

It's like the difference between realizing you should stay home only to end up falling asleep on the couch watching T.V., and thinking everything is fine and get behind the wheel and you wake up in the hospital the next day facing involuntary manslaughter charges.

People who go through life saying "la-de-da everything is fine and dandy, nothing bad, just loads of candy" are blind gullible fools.

And if something does happen you will be lost and start to panic. We "conspiracy theorists" aren't going to say "I told you so". Not at all. We will just pry your head out of your TRIBBLE and slap you back to reality.

Edited for typo.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    daan2006 wrote: »
    i would do it then because now after hereing how much better that game was then sto i soooo wish i had played it now ship battle in that game soundid so awsome :( from what i was told about them is what i was hopeing sto to be like

The ship combat had its own problems. You couldn't do turrets without another player manning them. If you try to maneuver while someone's manning turrets, they started screaming at you because they couldn't keep a bead on the target. The experience induced motion sickness for a lot of players. To top it all off, you needed a flightstick controller to be effective, and most players had zero experience in space combat simulators.

As a result, almost nobody ever ventured into space except to roleplay, and even then they rarely knew what they were doing. Most people I knew would just launch into space and sit there in their ship interiors doing nothing. They'd then use the escape hatch to get back to the ground if I wasn't there to fly the ship back to a starport. It was annoying being the only pilot among my group of friends.
    Never heard the term Occam's Razor before. I couldn't find a simple definition for it so I just came to my own conclusions on what it means. ;)

Occam's Razor is real simp... oh... I see what you did there...

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Ⓑ Ⓐ
  • Options
    robingbrownrobingbrown Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This is pretty much standard procedure for Cryptic (and plenty of other MMOs).

1. Nerfbat
    2. Tears
    3. Minor denerfing
    4. Profit!
    I used to have an Orion slave girl, then PWE 'perfected' her, now all I have is this lousy signature
  • Options
    notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited November 2012

and if I remember correctly, he committed suicide a few years back
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The only theory I will believe is that Cryptic was trying to create a shortfall.

Decrease Dilithium - more people buy Dilithium.

The amount of Dilithium you get per ZEN goes down.

Players have to buy more Zen to get more Dilithium.

Cryptic makes more money.
    download.jpg
  • Options
    notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I am one of those people who welcome the reduced dil reward in STFs, as it may decrease the prices of zen/dil. Hence, I am looking forward to 100 dil/zen equation :D
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    notapwefan wrote: »
    and if I remember correctly, he committed suicide a few years back

Had to verify that. Turns out it's true. That would explain why we haven't seen him back in the chatroom in a long time.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Ⓑ Ⓐ
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    we all know it cryptic /PWE are just ferengi i mean come on you dont have to be a rockit scientist to get this
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead