What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Announcement About Upcoming Dilithium Changes - Nov 14, 2012

Comments

• Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It was wrong of you to try and take them away in the first place without even informing us beforehand. This has not restored my faith in Cryptic at all, and they seem unapologetic and defiant about it feeling to need to point out how successful their scheme was.

They will try and pull this stunt again with something else in the future, have no doubt.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Just reading the main post and I'll say that I thank the guys at Cryptic for changing course on this.

I think what ended up happening was you (Cryptic in general) alienated the hardcore players (those who play STFs regularly, especially Elite STFs) by treating the average player to now above-average Dilithium compared to the hardcore player.

I hope this is a lesson learned that all player types are important to STO's survival. :) Not even Magic the Gathering, a card game that's been around since 1993, can lean exclusively on the casual crowd. From what I read of its history, it just about died a few times due to too much emphasis on one side of the spectrum over the other (casual to tournament). They now embrace both emphatically, and it's a roaring success with some of the strongest sales they've seen ever. :)
  • Options
    anshraanshra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Excellent!

My fleet was very much looking forward to Season 7, then they were like "WTF, How the hell are we going to continue to build our base without an evergrind", now they are like "yay, lets buy all of the Vesta's and do STF and Romulus." Any company can make mistakes. it takes a good one to hold their hands up and say "fair play, you want it changed back, thats ok"

/tiphat
    - Into the jaws of hell.
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for listening to the fans.

Now I have a reason to play PVE again on a level 50 character.

Now that I get dilithium, running Elite STFs will give me the dilithium I need for the STF rewards.

Now I have a reason to buy a new ship that I like if it hits the C-store.

(I would have also accepted the solution of Omega , Fleet and Romulan store items costing Marks only instead of Dilithium, but this solution is just as good).

Oh, and New Romulus is wonderfully done, and the new website covert artwork with the vulcan captain is also amazing.

Could we get a wallpaper of that some day , please?

I'm actually a casual player who does 1-3 STFS a day max. Which means I can't grind the whole day, I have to get my marks and dilithium from the same STF Run.

So this move actually Helps casual gamers get dilithium and marks without forcing them to grind all day.

We'll live without the Btran VA +Explore Strange new worlds daily, but for that to happen we desperately need dilithium reward for STFs.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    averydd wrote: »
    First time for everything on the feedback front.

But good call on the STF front. I'll be playing them again when the changes are made :)

next time they patch
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Why no front page post, Cryptic?
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm so sad it had to go this far. You wanted to remove dil from STFs when Season 7 hit Tribble. We explained you it was a bad idea. You agreed.

Then you take it away once more when it goes live. And we have to explain it's a bad idea once more.

Why was this "mistake" (to use a polite word) made? It was so unnecessary. :confused:

If only you learned from this...
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    aktarysaktarys Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Thank you.
  • Options
    frostyjonesfrostyjones Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So... what? Not going to put the gear rewards back in the STFs either? I'm happy that the dil is back in STFs, but I'm kinda ticked that the Fleet Actions got cut so hard. At least make the Space runs worth 640 and the ground runs 960 because the ground ones are hardly worth the effort at 1440 at it is, even WITH the daily added on to them.
  • Options
    diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    What about those of us who don't enjoy STFs OR Fleet Actions? We're still stuck with more fees and less opportunities to earn Dilithium. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • Options
    commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for the changes but I am still concerned about the damage to the DOFF system. The Academy packs are no where near worth any amount of dilithium and I really wish you would return the upgrinder costs to what they were and place the new costs on the down-grinder.

I am also still concerned about the fate of Exploration. I really think it needs something in the mid-term like a reputation system at least.
  • Options
    mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for listening!
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    lordhooklordhook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Please stick this post as Announcement and Season 7 Dev Blog . Will avoid messages like mine:

Weekend without STO 11/24 and 11/25

Let's show how much we want our dilithium back. Weekend without a single player logged! Players on strike!

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com//showthread.php?p=6579701#post6579701 -> this tread was censored
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    voiceoftemprusvoiceoftemprus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Argh, why did you do this? Now I am tempted to do STFs again!!!! Why!!!! :D

Thank you for listening.
    "CO once had devs, but they all fled to STO and NW because they feared Caliga." -matixzon
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    However, our concern that there would be too much Dilithium in the economy if we left Dilithium in both STFs and Fleet Actions has been outweighed by the frustration we've seen from STF fans since the launch of Season 7.

As of this post, season seven has been on the live server for just about 36 hours.

That really must have been a LOT of hate flying their way.

Oh well, glad there's a familiar way to get dilithium again.

Now, how about shaving a few hours off of those reputation projects? :D
  • Options
    partizan81partizan81 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Kudos to the Cryptic team for listening to the community. Very well done on your parts, thank you listening to us.
  • Options
    senshibat01senshibat01 Member Posts: 11,254 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    As good Revo said.. and Our Love for Trek its got to be real if not we simply fade away..
    or slowly play even less. when changes chased our friends away. .

I Hope this object lesson shows a good balance and a fair compromise..

While we still see much grinding inherent in the system.. we see nicely crafted new ways to enjoy content . and pace out some of the repetitious grind dailey's and share more time with friends.. doing the ones they prefer.

8000 refined a day for base members seems fine.. i tend to horde and occasionally refine.. and not be too material so Bell curve demographics may skew me to the bean counters.. its an important resource allocation tool to you and a wise one. .

But i'm just here for some fun.. aiding that fun by having a nice Team backing you accomplices both our ultimate goals or enjoying what we do..
    thanx
    e81d2f2c7ce74e61cba28154fcac4cc2.jpg
    Tsuki ni Kawatte Oshioki Yo
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    THANK YOU for making these changes.
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Don't congratulate Cryptic for this. It's a PR stunt, and doesn't address the real problems. It seems to be successful as a number of folks are buying into it and forgiving Cryptic for all the other problems we now face.
  • Options
    dastahldastahl Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    toiva wrote: »
    I'm so sad it had to go this far. You wanted to remove dil from STFs when Season 7 hit Tribble. We explained you it was a bad idea. You agreed.

Then you take it away once more when it goes live. And we have to explain it's a bad idea once more.

Why was this "mistake" (to use a polite word) made? It was so unnecessary. :confused:

If only you learned from this...

It wasn't an easy decision by any stretch of the imagination and even though the Dilithium changes to remove STFs has been on TRIBBLE since the test weekend promo, it wasn't until we looked at the data today and saw that everyone had more Dilithium on average and still weren't happy - that I decided that the data driven approach was accomplishing the goal of giving players more Dilithium, but wasn't making some of our hardcore players happy at all.

As others have pointed out, this is a more balanced approach that may have implications for Dilithium exchange rates in the future (because there will be much more Dilithium in the economy) - but we want players having fun with the new Season 7 content - not worrying about how to get Dilithium.

So in other words - we stuck to our guns - left the change in - it accomplished exactly what we wanted it to (help players get more Dilithium) but that doesn't equal "fun" for the community. We needed to see the data after S7 launch in order to realize that players can have their cake and eat it too and the game will be ok.
  • Options
    strorusstrorus Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Anyone noted that the 1440Dil we were getting in the new rewards for fleet actions has been reduced, and effectively half of which has been put back into STFs, so you have spend twice as much time give or take to get the 1440 Dil.

I for one was happy with STFs not granting Dil, the new Romulan stuff doesn't and was happy to now earn it through the fleet actions. Now I have to spend double the time in STFs or Fleet actions to earn the same 1440.

Not that I don't enjoy playing the game, but I want the most out of my time in the game.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    STFs will reward Dilithium indirectly via Omega Marks and Borg Neural Processors (Elite only) through repeatable projects in the Omega Fleet Reputation system.

I sure hope I'm reading this wrong, as there's NO indication that this added in dilithium will be going into the players unrefined ore pool following the run.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    matridunadan1matridunadan1 Member Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Don't congratulate Cryptic for this. It's a PR stunt, and doesn't address the real problems. It seems to be successful as a number of folks are buying into it and forgiving Cryptic for all the other problems we now face.

Indeed. Still doesn't forgive them for charging 200k dilithium for a bunch of latinum traders that don't actually do any trading!
  • Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Good desition!

Thanks for lisent!

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It's not so much just that the dil is back in STFs. It's that they actually reversed a major change based on player feedback, which shows a shift on Cryptic's part in their attitudes towards us players. That's what has me encouraged here.

Though, y'know, having dil back in STFs sure doesn't hurt. ;)
  • Options
    methos71methos71 Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Simply wanted to thank you guys for this decision. Given all the very vocal outrage, this reversal was definitely a wise decision and should be commended.

It's a crying shame that all the negativity throughout the past 24 hours has marred the release of, what looks to be, some entertaining and wonderful new content. If anything, all that negativity clearly indicates that we players are still passionate about this game. And this reversal decision indicates, with equal clarity, that you (the Devs) still care about the player-base.

I'll be digging into Season 7 for the first time tonight and again thank you guys for purging all the bad mojo that might've spoiled my enjoyment of all the new content you've treated us to.

Q'apla to the Devs and those diligent forum members who made their grievances known and acted upon!:D
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
    Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
    methos71
    screenshot_2012-03-27-13-37-23.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2012
    dastahl wrote: »
    It wasn't an easy decision by any stretch of the imagination and even though the Dilithium changes to remove STFs has been on TRIBBLE since the test weekend promo, it wasn't until we looked at the data today and saw that everyone had more Dilithium on average and still weren't happy - that I decided that the data driven approach was accomplishing the goal of giving players more Dilithium, but wasn't making some of our hardcore players happy at all.

As others have pointed out, this is a more balanced approach that may have implications for Dilithium exchange rates in the future (because there will be much more Dilithium in the economy) - but we want players having fun with the new Season 7 content - not worrying about how to get Dilithium.

So in other words - we stuck to our guns - left the change in - it accomplished exactly what we wanted it to (help players get more Dilithium) but that doesn't equal "fun" for the community. We needed to see the data after S7 launch in order to realize that players can have their cake and eat it too and the game will be ok.

Any chance this 'announcement' could be put in its own frontpage DevBlog for all to see, instead of merely edited into a previous one that's easy to miss?
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hrci2907hrci2907 Member Posts: 648 Media Corps
    edited November 2012
    strorus wrote: »
    Anyone noted that the 1440Dil we were getting in the new rewards for fleet actions has been reduced, and effectively half of which has been put back into STFs, so you have spend twice as much time give or take to get the 1440 Dil.

I for one was happy with STFs not granting Dil, the new Romulan stuff doesn't and was happy to now earn it through the fleet actions. Now I have to spend double the time in STFs or Fleet actions to earn the same 1440.

Not that I don't enjoy playing the game, but I want the most out of my time in the game.

we dont care about that! this is a win! i would always play stf for less dilithium, then fleet actions for more dilthium.
    "This is your ultimate STO Youtube channel!"
    https://youtube.com/user/MyBalkanGaming
  • Options
    starcommando101starcommando101 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    dastahl wrote: »

All we ask is work with us a little more on the tribble server. I know it doesnt reflect the whole holodeck but we will let you know how it will affect them. We are a community for a reason Dan. Give and take. We give advice and you take (vice versa)

Work with us. We wont steer you wrong, we love this game too much XD

PS ask cryptic Nov?
    The Average PvP player
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1) Teamwork and timing is #1
    2) You cannot "Kirk It" in every ship
    3) You are going to die, just get back up
  • Options
    nodia2055nodia2055 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    is everyone so thankful, a nerf is a nerf, big or small. Thank you for just stabbing me a little, thank you only running over me with two tires, thank you for only shooting me once. Some things you don't thank people for.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.