test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why does every change seemed design to make people buy Zen?

dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
Yes, you can buy that Zstore ship w/o buying Zen. But each season seems to make that harder to do. Coincidence?

Grind for 6 months or give us $25. Not a real valid option to buying Zen there. So just cut the TRIBBLE about saying "you don't have to buy Zen" to get the good stuff.

Cryptic/PWE wants my money. I can respect that. You need money to run your business. Just don't be hypocritical about there being valid 'other ways' to get Z-store stuff. Nerfing Dil accumulation in S7 is a so painfully obvious tactic, but your blog goes on about how you want more people maxing out their Dil refining.

Before Season 7 I was averaging about 2.5-3k Dil on each toon. Now playing the same amount of time I'm doing about 1.4k. I don't think your intentions as stated in the blog are truthful.
That's not even counting the huge increase in some Dil costs like doff exchange costs going up 100x...
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nikkyvixnikkyvix Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    That's not even counting the huge increase in some Dil costs like doff exchange costs going up 100x...

Let's not forget the increased number of things that now require dilithium, and the new goal-oriented content that cannot be reached without dilithium, demanding more time investment.

I am still in a state of...not shock, but more just trying to absorb the changes brought on. So I cannot really voice my concerns as well as I might int he coming days when I have wrapped my head properly around it. I too can understand the need to drive people towards paying. Cryptic/PWE is a business and must make money. But much of the pretty, shiny new content introduced has been gummed down with so many time-hurdles, dilithium-hurdles, and grind-hurdles, that I cannot see a positive reaction.

I feel increasingly penned in with what I can do with my time, and the kicker is that Cryptic believes I and others simply aren't doing enough of it for the time we play. Which amuses me, because I thought I was here to play the game as I like...not to spend...what was it, Mr. Stahl said? Four hours projected, grinding out an 8k dilithium cap every day? As a mark of whether I am 'enjoying' the game or not.

I am not enjoying it. I used to find many ways to enjoy this game with my friends in a Star Trek setting..but I am not enjoying my new reality of being considered a cog to grind out their systems. I do not take kindly to Cryptic's model of whether I'm enjoying their game or not being if I'm grinding to an 8k cap of dilithium every day. And I am set to adjust my play behavior accordingly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
    "Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
  • endafreshendafresh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I don't care that they want our money. I do care that they're blatantly lying to our faces in order to justify the abhorrent changes they've made to the game.
  • rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Actually, this is the first New Game Experience that doesn't make me to buy Zen. even more so, it makes me regret having ever bought Zen.

I am thinking that this will get serious reworking. I can't imagine this staying as is.
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• omfg4202omfg4202 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Game developers today largely follow a business model that involves leveraging a lot of hype, marketing, and paid reviews, usually promising a sequel to an already popular franchise, selling lots of pre-orders, and then delivering a dire insult as a finished product. For example, Diablo 3, SWTOR. This is equally true of most Hollywood films, designed merely to trick as many as possible into buying tickets. Example: Paranormal Activity III

For most so-called Free-to-Play games, this now means Pay-to-Win, no matter how you try to finesse the definition of the term. Where there exists inequity, someone's going to have a bad time. Would you enjoy a sporting event where the team with the most money was allowed to field an extra player? Would you wager anything on the underdog?

In the case of Perfect World, they seem to find no ethical problem turning Pay-to-Win into Pay-to-Pray-to-Win, where players can spend a lot of real money on what are essentially lotto tickets and win nothing they actually want.

But now they have exacerbated the biggest grind in the game and made it much more complicated, forcing us to craft our STF loot in a version of the fleet project panel, while adding a hefty dilithium price tag which must also be paid for the privilege. And they are marketing it as magnanimously as possible, but it is a blow in the solar plexus.

Corporations in general are seeing regulations evaporate and they are coming to the realization that there's no need to earn your money when you can be tricked out of it repeatedly with no consequence.
    KIRK:That which you call Ee'd Plebnista was not written for the chiefs or the kings or the warriors or the rich and powerful, but for all the people! These words were not written only for the Yangs, but for the Kohms as well! They must apply to everyone or they mean nothing! Do you understand?