test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 7 ...anything good for DOffs?

zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Duty Officer System and R&D
There is a complete new Sector Block...

will there be any new DOff Assignments and or Chains for it?

This new Romulan Sector SCREAMS for an expansion of the DOff Missions like the last DS9 Featured Series got.

I know there will probably be new DOffs with the Embassy Holding, but honestly, i have enough good "cards" in my deck by now, i don't really have a need for more.

I want a *reason to play* the DOff System again.
It's gotten stale, it feels like it is on life support since Heretic left and all that we get now are the occasional new Active Roster Power through LockBox-DOffs or by random C-Store packs that don't even guarantee a purple outcome for $.

The Active Roster Powers are at best a BONUS from the DOff System, but not a *reason to play* the DOff System itself.

I did not have to make an update to my DOff Sheet (link in sig) since the Caitian/Ferasan Chain was introduced MONTHS ago and even that one turned out badly in terms of community interaction, simply because the Steps were all so easy to find and everybody was done with the Chain within a week or two...

SO... anything good for the DOff System in Season 7?
and if no, when?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by zerobang on

Comments

• Options
    starcommando101starcommando101 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    yes, get your fleet embassy to max and you will be able to do extra doff assignments
    The Average PvP player
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1) Teamwork and timing is #1
    2) You cannot "Kirk It" in every ship
    3) You are going to die, just get back up
  • Options
    joxertm2joxertm2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    And what do those extra assignments bring?

Currently only doff assignments worth your bother are:
    1. Those that bring DXP so you can share slipstream speed boost with friends
    2. Those that bring dilithium
    3. Optionally you can add one fastfilling commission assignments (engineering, medicine or military) so you can earn fleet marks/credits after 100K in that commision
    4. Optionally also, those assignments involved into creating MK12 consoles that can earn you a nice amount of EC

Why is that so?
    Because you can practically buy any DoFF you need at the exchange and because apart from diplomacy, other commissions don't reward you any buffs, items or whatever else outside of DoFF system. Also the maxed diplomacy opens a certain story option you can use on replay if you want to. No other commission can do that.

OP also mentioned gambling where you pay Zen for a box without a purple DoFF - is someone really buying those boxes for Zen? I'm not giving a single Zen for gambling, I'm probably annoying by saying it, but sorry, I don't have the addiction for gambling and Cryptic believes we've all came to STO just to lose our pants on their gambling boxes fraud.

If nothing really changes with the DoFF system but more useless things get added, ppl will simply stop using it completely. Just as happened with crafting.
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    joxertm2, all you talk about are *out of DOff System* rewards.
    I get where you come from, but thats not what i'm talking about.

Personally i would like to see some other options what to do with CXP other than turning them into Fleetmarks.
    It's a good option, but it is the only one?

i don't even play the Fleetmark Missions anymore because i get so many marks from DOffing and that Foundry daily that i just don't need to play those any more (don't get dilithium from those either...) ...AND i have a hard time contributing those marks because my fleet has more problems filling the 60 green security doffs than it would have filling 9000 Fleetmarks.

In the end, all obsolete fleet credits probably will be turned back into DOffs,
    thats one way of looking at it i guess... because right now ALL i do in the DOff system is to feed the starbase, be it collecting CXP, DOffs or Dilithium...

The DOff System is there to add flavor to the gameworld,
    maybe even some kind of depth (if such a thing exists in STO).

The feeling that my DOffs are my Ships CREW has gone out the window the moment i had to start sacrificing them to the Starbase gods and had to start grinding white ones to keep the supply up.

At that moment they stopped being my CREW and became a COMMODITY instead.

At some day the Starbase will be finished... and i hope i can get back to playing the DOff System again like it was intended.
    Get those 400 Purples!
    Collect a full Cardassian / Ferengi / Jem'Hadar Crew on my LockBox Ships etc.

The DOff system is text and chance based only, there is no need for huge Dev hours to add a new Chain, a new set of flavor missions or something like that. It can be done by ONE dude really... ok 2 if you add ThomasTheCat for the Icon / UI work...

... i guess what i want is that there is some Dev adding new CONTENT to the DOff System again, on a more regular basis, to keep the system itself interesting.

New Chains to hunt with neat goodies at the end plus a few neat repeatable missions to unlock.
    New assignments to figure out and make it hard enough so we don't just click our way through but actually have to do something for it.

If they can't keep the DOff System supplied with a decent amount of new pure TEXT assignments...
    not even when something new is released like a complete new Sector Block+Season?
    Then we really don't need to be surprised about the low amount of Featured Episode Series these past 2 Years.

By god i did not want this to be a rant thread...
    ...but i am sick of waiting for a BLOG post from Brandon that talks about the DOff System, which may not even happen this Season.

So back to my question: Will there be anything GOOD for the DOff System in Season 7?

And i do not consider adding a 500 dilithium cost to the general recruitment pack or increasing the dilithium cost to the up grinder like that a GOOD thing. That will only push people away from DOffing.

Why not just remove the DOff requirements from the Starbase Projects and quadruple the Dilithium Cost per SB Project... it's the same effect in the long run, without hurting the DOff System.
    And while you're at it, remove all those other commodities and just let me slot the EC directly, it's just silly replicating 7500 Shield Generators in packs of 50.

*rabble rabble*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    joxertm2joxertm2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    zerobang wrote: »
    Why not just remove the DOff requirements from the Starbase Projects and quadruple the Dilithium Cost per SB Project... it's the same effect in the long run, without hurting the DOff System.
    And while you're at it, remove all those other commodities and just let me slot the EC directly, it's just silly replicating 7500 Shield Generators in packs of 50.

If that was a petition, every single player would have signed it. Okay, 99% of them.
    It's so obviously better than the current system that one has to wonder why it wasn't designed like that in the first place. Oh, yea, a certain designer adored to just replicate provisions all day long...
  • Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    joxertm2 wrote: »
    If that was a petition, every single player would have signed it. Okay, 99% of them...

/signed

Also, purely speculation, but the 'additional assignment rewards' sounds great on the surface, but I'm afraid that it will probably be a 'reward' like the fleet starbase uniform 'reward' : "unlocked" ability to buy more slots. I hope I'm wrong. At the very least, if you're going to charge dilithium to recruit crew members, then those recruitment missions should not take up an assignment slot. Treat them as sick bay assignments.

As far as having to pay for recruitment, it feels more like a pirate captain stopping by the local tavern to recruit a few more bilge rats than a Starfleet captain recruiting newly-graduated SFA members for the honor to serve on a star ship.

Completely agree with zerobang, we need something to infuse the DOff system with some new excitement, be it new chains, new storylines, better diplomatic rewards, unique Ultra Rare DOffs, ...something!

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I sign on this.

There has been talk that the DOFF chains have more story than some of the recent full content.

But they were still nice to do. Since we're getting some more story with Season 7, it would be nice that they kept up the tradition with the DOFF system too. Something along a thwarting or spying on the Tal Shiar, or helping to build additional settlements or bases for Mol'Rihan, saving kidnapped Romulans and Remans from the old Imperialist factions. A New Romulus Feature episode series would be nice too. I guess I'm just getting ahead of myself though.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    the embassy has soem really fun doffing even at low levels!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    bi9tbi9t Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Putting together team of Doffs for use in missions that are saved. Then said teams can level up together in some way to provide some sort of benefits. Even a more interesting view of doffs would be nice. So I could make like different shifts, so like my engineering doffs could have a technician, damage control engineer, etc. in a group and then I could place the technician as my head engineer for the A shift. Or at least a cooler way to organize them and feel like Im the captain of my ship and they are officers.

Chains on cool downs. Meaning when I send my doffs to do a diplomat mission, I have to send the same doffs to multiple planets. which would be with different missions. So like a 20 hour mission on andoria to work out the problems there, then maybe after that I have to send them to romulus. Depending on the results could end up sending me to different places. So instead of pass fail, the completed results could be which planet or thing i need to do next. All these be set on a 3 day cool down or something with a large amount of different outcomes if the based on traits of the doffs sent from the first one and having to continue with the same group. Hopefully you get the idea.

We need missions where we send large amount of doffs too. I have so many seems like a waste that 90% of them go untouched.

Make there be some hunting, that was a great part of the community in the beginning everyone gets excited hunting down some rare missions. For example, make there be missions that are multi-part and you have to either find the parts in a certain amount of time after you start the first one, or just make it so you find the other parts before the new cycle.

Im not all that creative, but seems like a big missed step by not putting more effort into the doff system which has tons of potential.
  • Options
    eldioraeldiora Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The Dilithium cost associated with Reassignments has been increased:

White to Green: Now 500 Dilithium
    Green to Blue: Now 2500 Dilithium
    Blue to Purple: Now 5000 Dilithium

from the patch notes

WHAT IN THE F*

Did Cryptic went insane?

The "General Recruitment" assignment available on both faction Academy zones has been altered:

Duration increased from 20 hours to 48 hours.
    The cooldown is unchanged.
    An input cost of 1000 Dilithium has been added.
  • Options
    aestuaestu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    S7: Romulan bartender doff?

[ ] Yes
    [ ] No

So far as Dil costs/game balance in S7 goes...

The only obvious constant in current game design is to ramp up Dil costs and preclude other approaches in the hope of fueling Zen sales. Removing Dil rewards, making doffgrinding more and more expensive, making Dil an input for more items, reducing the yield for disbanding doffs, etc.

It is clear that PWE is trying to drain players dry and force them to spend cash. It's also possible they want to get a head start on "cashing out" player holdings in the game.

Putting all SB assignments on Dil instead of doffs is a horrible idea, and so far from "99% of players being behind it", the truth is that most players would be strongly opposed, for the very simple reason that junk doffs are abundant and Dil is not. Junk doffs are largely useless except as an input for SBs, while Dil has many uses, not the least of which is Dil exchange.

I don't grasp how clicking away Dil is fun. Doffing for doffs to turn in is fun; *drip drip drip* Dil that could be spent on toys is not.

The effort to push Dil over doffs is part and parcel of the SB system itself. The SB system is an effort by PWE to leverage social pressure to drive Z-store sales. Company reps trying to claim that "99% of the community" supports spending cash equivalents over game elements as an input is just more of the same sort of bullying.

There is also one very obvious reason why such a change would be very bad. Moving SBs from doffs to Dil would shift SB progression from the best doffers, to those willing to spend the most time grinding Dil (no-lifers) or buying it on Z-store (P2W scrubs).

Now, is that what you want?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nastrossnastross Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    eldiora wrote: »
    The Dilithium cost associated with Reassignments has been increased:

White to Green: Now 500 Dilithium
    Green to Blue: Now 2500 Dilithium
    Blue to Purple: Now 5000 Dilithium

from the patch notes

WHAT IN THE F*

Did Cryptic went insane?

The "General Recruitment" assignment available on both faction Academy zones has been altered:

Duration increased from 20 hours to 48 hours.
    The cooldown is unchanged.
    An input cost of 1000 Dilithium has been added.

I noticed that too. This is 100% insane, for sure
  • Options
    criss11criss11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    i have the feeling that [Contraband] and the prisoners for KDF will become veeeeery expensive , as alternate dilitium source in s7 :cool:

Time to start new bussinesses :D

You don't have to do or (failing with n00bs) any poorly rewarded STF (except cure space which is the only STF decent on Energy Credits drops) as KDF , just turn over 2,3 times [Contraband] , 10 prisoners and do a Forced_Labor_Requisition or 2 and ta daaa :) you've got your daily ore to refine :D

Each KDF prisoner may gets you (worth) 100-125 ore ..so do the math..
    Each [Contraband] may gets you (worth) 400 ore ..so do the math..
    open beta player of some PWE games - north america launched versions:
    - PWI - November, 2008 (2 months after North-America-West Coast open beta)
    - Forsaken World - open beta
    - BOI - open beta
    - Star Trek Online - ftp January, 2012 and rank 14 STO Wiki contributor
    - Neverwinter open beta June, 2013

Daily Foundry "Canyon of the Dead" ( NW-DBPJYKMRE ) - dungeon
  • Options
    aestuaestu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Where is the KDF prisoner turnin, anyway?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    criss11criss11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    aestu wrote: »
    Where is the KDF prisoner turnin, anyway?

Security Officer (KDF)
    open beta player of some PWE games - north america launched versions:
    - PWI - November, 2008 (2 months after North-America-West Coast open beta)
    - Forsaken World - open beta
    - BOI - open beta
    - Star Trek Online - ftp January, 2012 and rank 14 STO Wiki contributor
    - Neverwinter open beta June, 2013

Daily Foundry "Canyon of the Dead" ( NW-DBPJYKMRE ) - dungeon