test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Armor Console Question

lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
edited November 2012 in The Academy
Which is better:

A Monotanium Alloy console with +32 kinetic resistance and a Hull Plating console with +32 resistance to two energy types

or

Two Neutronium consoles each with +16 resistance to kinetic and energy?

Basically, I want to know if I'm better off stacking Neutronium consoles or using separate consoles for Kinetic and Energy resistance.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• skynetjcskynetjc Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Doesnt matter. The result will be the same.
    The only different at the neutronium alloy would be, that you have the resistance at all energy-type and not only at the three energy type you have fitted.

PS: buy some mk-x white console and test it by yourself ;)
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well I was wondering how the diminishing-returns thing on armor consoles works--i.e. whether a single console giving 32 is equal, better, or worse than two consoles each giving 16 (in terms of total resistance bonus--obviously the single console takes up fewer slots).
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    just recently there was a thread derailed to that issue. http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=439101&page=5

it starts on page 4 and explains very very detailed what armor conoles do for you. Also the STOWIKI has an interesting graph for that. http://www.stowiki.org/Damage_resistance

anyway, my advice: skill 6 points into starship hull plating (energy resi) and if you can spare a few points into the Starship armor reinforcements (for the kinetic resi) and add a neutronium armor to your ship. you should reach nearly 30% resist...
    Go pro or go home
  • bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    baudl wrote: »
    Also the STOWIKI has an interesting graph for that. http://www.stowiki.org/Damage_resistance

Nice link on that Wiki! I like that!

To lilchibiclari: You also need to take into consideration what career you chose vs which type of ship you captain.

I'm an engineer in a Frankenstein cruiser (D'Kora). I'm only running 1 neutronium MK XI, and I've only blown up once. This was in Ker'rat when I got gang-***** by the KDF, so that doesn't really count.

Point being is that even with only 1 console, you can survive. Rely on your skills first. Worry about the consoles later.

Also, is this a PvE, or a PvP build?

Profession, Ship, and PvE vs PvP are things you may want to include in your query for more input.
    A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
    edited November 2012
    Nice link on that Wiki! I like that!

To lilchibiclari: You also need to take into consideration what career you chose vs which type of ship you captain.

I'm an engineer in a Frankenstein cruiser (D'Kora). I'm only running 1 neutronium MK XI, and I've only blown up once. This was in Ker'rat when I got gang-***** by the KDF, so that doesn't really count.

Point being is that even with only 1 console, you can survive. Rely on your skills first. Worry about the consoles later.

Also, is this a PvE, or a PvP build?

Profession, Ship, and PvE vs PvP are things you may want to include in your query for more input.

Not the point. My point is that, all else being equal (for the sake of argument), do I get more resistance from one +32 console alone, or two +16 consoles combined, or is it the same, or what?
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Not the point. My point is that, all else being equal (for the sake of argument), do I get more resistance from one +32 console alone, or two +16 consoles combined, or is it the same, or what?

What matters is the total amount of Armor points. Howyou get there doesn't matter, be it Captain skills, equipment or abilities. 32 armor points vs polaron damage is exactly the same damage resistance as 32 armor points vs Kinetic damage.

In regard to the console, the ones that give only one damage type will give more armor points than console with 2 damage types more then 4 damage types and more than Neutronium which is vs everything. So baically you need to decide if you want less amounts of damage resistance vs a lot of damage types, or more damage resistnace vs a few damage types.
  • shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

This times a million, wish I saw this sentiment more often.

I also recommend reading the link posted if you'd like to learn more about the mechanics behind them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
    edited November 2012
    Ok, so it's the total number of points, not the number of consoles. That's what I was trying to figure out here--whether the number of consoles mattered in the calculation. Thanks, everyone who replied.
  • maelwy5maelwy5 Member Posts: 593 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Basically, I want to know if I'm better off stacking Neutronium consoles or using separate consoles for Kinetic and Energy resistance.

The values will be the same for most things with a Monotanium console and an Energy Console.
    But if you have enough slots, go with 2x Neutroniums.

The reason for this is that Neutronium grants damage resistance to every type of energy damage simultaneously, including the "exotic" types that only certain special attacks use. There is no other console that grants resistance to (for example) Isometric Charge's Electrical damage.
    [ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I tend to use 2x Neutroniums for the reasons maelwy5 stated along with a single monotanium because NPCs tend to deal a metric ton of kinetic damage in my experience and while your shield resists that very well your hull not so much. If I only have two engineering consoles I tend to go with one of each and make sure to be using a Maco shield but I don't have many ships with only 2 engineering console slots.

Also only put 3 points in the armor captian skills. Going from rank 3 to rank 6 only grants +5 resistance for all those valueable skill points, or 1/3rd of a single neutronium console.