test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Features we'd like to eventually see in the STO Web Gateway

bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I know there are threads that are already talking about the web gateway, but I wanted to start one just to give Cryptic focused feedback about the features we'd like to see it have eventually.

My feeling is, not only could it expose certain management-type functions from within the game -- such as managing DOFF's, Bank, Inventory, Fleet, etc. -- but that it might make some other enhancements possible that wouldn't make it into the actual game any time soon.

A few suggestions for posting:

1. Please don't get into the whole "mobile app" debate. They've already told us it's web-based, so let's run with that. Maybe iOS/Android/Windows apps could come later.
  2. Let's not try to design it for them. This is basically about feature requests for future upgrades of the Gateway.
  3. Bear in mind that this is supposed to enhance the game, not replace it. We won't be flying ships, running missions, STF's, PvP over the web, so please don't suggest it.
  4. Try not to post a wall of text. Use paragraphs and try to keep it as simple and specific as you can. If your idea is very complicated, maybe you could start a separate thread about that and then link it here.
  5. These are just suggestions. Feel free to say whether you like or dislike a specific idea, but let's not get caught in a heated debate about them.
  6. This is basically a wish list. Let's not worry too much about prioritizing things or how practical they are. Let Cryptic worry about that.
  7. Please stay on-topic. This is not supposed to be for gripes, complaints, or arguments about the game.

Thanks!
Bluegeek
My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Post edited by bluegeek on

Comments

• bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Reserved for future use
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    edited October 2012
    I'll start off...

Bank Management

- Move items from bank to inventory
    - Move items from bank to account bank
    - Deposit/Withdraw EC's from account bank
    - Sort items by name, type, quality, etc.
    - Sell items on the Exchange
    - Buy bank slots

Inventory Management

- Move items from inventory to bank (or account bank)
    - Split/join stacks
    - Deposit/Withdraw EC's from account bank
    - Sort items by name, type, quality, etc.
    - Sell items on the Exchange
    - Buy items from the Replicator
    - Buy inventory slots
  • obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    DOff System:

- Assigning DOFFs to missions and starting missions
    - Viewing the DOff roster
    - Buying DOff packs from the C-Store
    - Dismissing DOFFs
    - Reassign Underperforming DOffs (DOff upgrading)
    - (DOff Shredding)
    - filter DOFF roster view and add a search capability
    - Move DOFFs from Reserve to Active, and back
    - export DOFF rosters to file or email
    - buy DOFF slots
    - view current and completed assignments
    - view available assignments in current location
    - view overview with slots open, completed, in-progress, & CXP totals

Stretch goals:

- Transfer ship to different sectors (for sector-specific mission, colony mission chains, etc.)
    - (for system in general): DOff stats: see how often certain DOFFs are used, in order to better determine which ones to keep and which ones to reassign or shred
    -- Ability to flag DOFFs for reassignment or shredding

* May require Portal Inventory management for any gear, crafting items, or commodities obtained through DOff missions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
    edited October 2012
    DOff System:

{snip}

I'll just add,

- filter DOFF roster view and add a search capability
    - Move DOFFs from Reserve to Active, and back
    - export DOFF rosters to file or email
    - buy DOFF slots

- view current and completed assignments
    - view available assignments in current location
    - view overview with slots open, completed, in-progress, & CXP totals
    edited October 2012
    Security

Since we'd like to see the web gateway able to do some kinds of in-game transactions, it's going to be really important that our characters can't get TRIBBLE and our in-game stuff stolen or deleted.

Something similar to the Account Guard functionality, maybe. Optional email notifications and alerts, maybe. The transactions themselves have got to be secure, with no possibility of interception, replay, or lost transactions.

Easier said than done, I know, but absolutely necessary.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Trade? :D:D:D:D

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
    edited October 2012
    Mail

- Read, delete, and compose mail (items would still have to be retrieved at a mail terminal, probably)
    - Integration with forum PM's
    - Forward or notify to third-party email account (opt-in)?

Fleet Management

- Send invites
    - Promote/Demote members
    - Set messages
    - View logs/reports
    - Expanded Fleet calendar/events
    - Export roster to file or email
    - Manage fleet holdings (view & set projects)
    - Contribute to projects

Question: Should Fleet permissions and dismiss members be in-game functions only?
    edited November 2012
    I'm sure pre-S7 items are getting a lot of attention, but I wanted to keep this thread alive.

I had an idea that the Web Gateway might allow some kinds of mini-games and mini-missions that would be difficult to do in the game proper. Perhaps even to prototype or test trial alternative gameplay that might be directly incorporated into the game itself later on.

Web development is likely to be a bit more nimble in that regard. Maybe we could finally get STO poker... :)

Another thing I'd like to see in the STO Gateway are newsfeeds from these forums. It could broaden the audience for topics that aren't too visible to players who aren't spending any time on the forums. Newsfeeds from the Federation News Network, Release Notes, and the Dev Tracker would be useful for some one-stop browsing.

Oh, and Official polls. It could make it easier for Cryptic to poll the Community for feedback.
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    At the very least on the Doff front, I would expect all of the ship officer missions to be available.

As for things I'd like to see, beside all of the above, I would like to see a captain look up feature, where you can see other captain's profiles, and maybe all of an accounts different characters. Nothing invasive, but just what you can see of another character in game. I think we used to be able to do that, would be nice ot read someone bio without chasing them across the sector.

Maybe a privacy button if you didn't want anyone looking at that.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The turnover confiscated contraband mission, and the ability to refine dilithium.

And the ability to manage rep projects too.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited November 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    the ability to refine dilithium

I like it, but I can't see them doing it... the idea is to get people to log in to the game. If people can refine without logging in, it also diminishes one of the advantages of a Gold account (auto-refine) since anyone would be able to do it from the web, anywhere, without actually playing the game.

Still, if they're willing to consider it, I sure wouldn't say no.
  • soriedemsoriedem Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    i was checking out sto gateway today and had an idea. Could foundry authors eventually check reviews from it?
  • matridunadan1matridunadan1 Member Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Hmm, how about some way to check cooldown timers?

Like the Transwarp timer, or PvE queues. Naturally, this would never be made publicly viewable.
  • phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    I am in the process of developing a wrapper app for android that would wrap their webpage in an app that could be independent of the browser (it's basically done and working on my phone). You could access it like any other app, no adds, no cheese, just free. Just not quite sure how to handle it at the moment... I don't want to get sued into the stoneage and I want to do right by Cryptic... I'll even give them the code for review if they asked.

So Branflakes...if you read this and have time, I'd welcome a PM with what the ground rules are... or to tell me to go away :D I'm more concerned about the logo of the app over anything else.

When I get more serious about the idea of putting it in the Google play store, I wouldn't do so without attempting to reach out to you all first....
  • heinekoheineko Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'd like to be able to search other captains and see their ships or builds! Even read their captain's logs.

You can read my awesome awesome logs too. I put a lot of effort into them and its sad no one else gets to see them. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Captain Ruri Gokou of the U.S.S. Kitty Hawk
    Catian Atrox Carrier
  • trekkiemelissatrekkiemelissa Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I would like to be able to manage fleet projects and be able to contribute to them from this app.
  • bsrangerbsranger Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I am attempting to log into gateway, but it says that I have no characters. what am I doing wrong?
  • pwefailpwefail Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    what i'd like to see in the Sto Gateway ? Nothing.
    The player formerly known as Chunter.
  • xariamaxariama Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    A "Boss Button" for those that try to stealth it from work, but don't want to make it look obvious.
    Lane Bjorn Jorgensson, Captain, ISS Voltaire

Here's a map to show how much they've screwed up the game map.
  • karmapointkarmapoint Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Web Gate Features for future:

1 - A safe way to generate a unique URL to show your character to anywone, without logging in the webgate. You can see your toon, your bridge officers and ship.

2 - Show info about your fleet in the web gate, in the same way of the item 1.

3 - Bulletin Board and webmail. Bulletion board to the whole fleet check the news of your fleet without waiting 24h for the next fleet mail. Webmail to check your own mails offgame.

4 - Bridge officer exchange: You can send your unused bridge officer to exchange, donate, sell or buy with other people of your fleet.

5 - Faction news, with the review of the new foundry missions of your faction.

6 - Fleet ads. If you are out of a fleet, you can see a banner with a ad of a fleet, and if click, check the Web Gate of the fleet.

7 - Game Calendar events, with day and hour of events, like vault, craft time, fleet hour, etc.

8 - The right to choose the rules of privacity. Only for you, only for friends, only for fleet members, public with the custom url, public to anyone.

9 - About mini-games: Create outfits of your char using uniforms kits that you take from the Zen Store or events, Officer of the Watch, Duty missios, etc.

10 - Tribble breading. Tamagochi with tribbles... =o)
    Brasilis Elite Squad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PW/Crypt can't make more KDF Content?
  • matridunadan1matridunadan1 Member Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    bsranger wrote: »
    I am attempting to log into gateway, but it says that I have no characters. what am I doing wrong?
    The gateway is currently Tribble-only. You don't have any characters on the Tribble test servers.

It's not open to the Holodeck (public shard) server yet.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I just want to be able to run the DOFF system from my phone.

I feel an APP would be more stable for this but if it can be done from the website, fine.
  • glxtrader1glxtrader1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    really could use a decent mail client since in-game gets slooooow for active sellers
    Keep Vulcan Boob Chick, only baktag likes to stare at guys in MMOs
  • malnificentmalnificent Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm looking forward to what Cryptic does with the STO Gateway.

In its present "pilot" iteration, it's very basic. I'm hoping that will change significantly. Here are some things I'd like to see the STO Gateway offer. Please add your ideas too.

1- Captain's Starfleet Service Record.
    I'd like to see how many STF n/e's I've run.
    I'd like to see how many times I've complete specific episodes, missions and Foundry assignments
    I'd like to see how many Respecs my captain has
    I'd like to be able to manipulate my captain's skill allocations and see the stats adjust accordingly (before spending a Respec)

2- DOFFs Service Record.
    I'd like to see how many assignments each of my DOFFs have completed.
    I'd like to see when was the last time each individual DOFF was last deployed on an assignment
    I'd like to be able to flag individual DOFFs from within the Gateway, and the next time I'm into the game be able to see those flags. (Ex. be able to identify 3 doffs that have been sitting on their TRIBBLE for a month, flag them, then next time I'm signed in, take action to dismiss them, sell them, grind them ... whatever)

3- Ability to export records
    I'd like to be able to export reports from STO Gateway as .pdfs (Ex. be able to export Accolades in process and DOFF mission chains status such that I can make a plan for what I?ll be doing the next time I sign in. It would be very "Trek" to be able to do a little research on say Doff chains before engaging in searching out the mission. Didn?t captains usually get a little time to dig into background before arriving on station for assignments?)

4- PVP Battle Record
    I don't PVP ... but if I did, I'd want to see my battle record in all its gore and glory (or just roll it up into Service Record)

5- C-Store integration
    I'd like to be able to purchase Zen and spend Zen in the C-Store from the Gateway. I've I'm here managing my captain's skills and decide a want to Respec (and don't have one), I should be able to simply buy one here and now.
    I'd like to buy that DOFF pack or FSMs or new ship right from the Gateway, as this would mimic the feeling of a true Trek captain submitting "requisition forms."

Those are just the ideas off the top of my head. I'd also love to see integration into the DOFF assignment management system and Exchange but I will concede from the start somethings maybe just need to say "in-game" for the immersion experience.

Thanks for reading.
  • scottapricescottaprice Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Nice thread! I too look forward to the new features of the STO Gateway.

I wish to have the ability to access the in-game E-Mail through the STO Gateway in order to check/send in-game mail while not logged in. This feature used to be available through the STO Website before the PWE Conversion.

- E-Mail text larger that 2048 (current in-game limitation) characters made it easy to forward the Fleet Mission, Vision, and Values to each new Fleetmate. It takes multiple E-Mails in-game due to the character limitations.
    - Need to be able to copy and paste from a sent/received E-Mail (this is clunky and not easy to use inside the game).
    - Easier to delete multiple E-Mails in one selection process.

I would also like to see my Friends List to see who is logged on from out-of-game. We had this ability before as well.

And with that, it would be really cool to access in-game chat and send messages to/from friends that are logged on.
    edited November 2012
    did realize the thread was merged. Thanks!
    edited November 2012
    Nice thread!

Thanks ... and wow, I had forgotten we had all that functionality you listed. that was long ago.
  • nodia2055nodia2055 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    How much Dil do you think it will cost to use this gateway each time 1000+?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]