test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

cannot seem to get free ships after promotion

admiralkangbangadmiralkangbang Member Posts: 4 Arc User
edited May 2015 in The Academy
I am fairly new to the game and have searched for answers for this question. I have not found exactly my answer but little bits. I just finished ranking to Commander (same thing happened at LT Cmdr). I get the points. I go to Spacedock. I go to see Admiral Quinn. He promotes me. I go see the ship requisition officer. I browse ships and all of them say I require credits to buy. When I got LT Cmdr promotion I got frustrated and bought zen so I could buy my new ship. So last night I did the same thing. Not a big deal really since I have the money. However it would be nice if there were some instructions on what to do to get a free ship later on. I believe I still have 3 more tiers to get. The people without the resources do not have the opportunity to throw money at the problem. If there is already some information for this I apologize. Please point me in right direction.

Thanks
Post edited by admiralkangbang on

Comments

• kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    You talk to Admiral Quinn, and you talk to the ship requisition officer.

You only have three ships per tier choose except for the Rear Admiral ships. Unless it is a recent bug. I personally had zero problem with getting my rank up vessels.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited October 2012
    At ship requisition where it shows rank of ship on upper right corner select ur new rank in the drop down menu to filter ships availible. It will show all availible ships of that rank. The 1st three ships should have a price of 1 token each those are the ships u can choose from. I personally bought all the cstore ships for the account unlock u get with them but I had always planned on multiple alt toons. Hope this helped. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • admiralkangbangadmiralkangbang Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    thanks for the response. i can see all the ships when i browse but all have cost. i read somewhere that one will get a token or something. i was definitely able to purchase the ships so if it is a glitch it is a glitch by a successful capitalist ;-) thanks again.
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Have you also spent all your available skillpoints on captain skills? Maybe its also tied to that.
  • blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    thanks for the response. i can see all the ships when i browse but all have cost. i read somewhere that one will get a token or something. i was definitely able to purchase the ships so if it is a glitch it is a glitch by a successful capitalist ;-) thanks again.

It is a very confusing interface. A friend of mine had a similar problem, and he said it didn't show the ship requisition until he actually chose (clicked on) the ship that he could get for free. The one(s) that are your tier reward will show a price of 1 requisition, and you still have to "buy" it, by clicking on the buy button.

If you have purchased through c-store, then the two requisitions should still be there. Try going back, and as suggested earlier, choose to show the appropriate level, and clear the check boxes for stuff you're not looking for - small craft, etc. Then choose each ship, one at a time, to see what you are offered for your requisitions.

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The sequence of events is as follows. When you have earned enough XP to cross the threshold (don't need to have spent it), you will immediately get a dialog window from Adm Quinn offering you the "Promotion to Lieutenant Commander" mission (or whatever rank). You need to accept that mission and travel back to Earth Space Dock. You need to go and talk to Adm. Quinn in person to resolve the promotion mission.

In the mission completion dialog window it will tell you that you have received a Ship Token (and costume change token if you are Gold). Once you have your Ship Token, you next need to go to the Ship Requisition Officer. Ship Requisition is entered via the turbolift at the rear of the Ship Yard Area. She'll be towards the right rear of the room as you enter it.

You'll be able to get a free non-C-Store ship of your new rank. It's best to filter ships for your new rank. Also any ship tokens that you have will show at the bottom of the Ship Requisition window. Select the ship and hit purchase. You'll get a confirmation window asking you you want to purchase said ship for X. You can cancel wlo penalty. You can also hover your mouse cursor over the entries to see what type of token it up in the popup information.

NOTE: If you closed the dialog window that offers you the promotion mission. It should be in the Available tab of you missions window (hit J). Or you can just go talk to Adm. Quinn in person to get the promotion mission. Because you have to do that anyway to complete the mission.
  • mbp101287mbp101287 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It is a very confusing interface. A friend of mine had a similar problem, and he said it didn't show the ship requisition until he actually chose (clicked on) the ship that he could get for free. The one(s) that are your tier reward will show a price of 1 requisition, and you still have to "buy" it, by clicking on the buy button.

If you have purchased through c-store, then the two requisitions should still be there. Try going back, and as suggested earlier, choose to show the appropriate level, and clear the check boxes for stuff you're not looking for - small craft, etc. Then choose each ship, one at a time, to see what you are offered for your requisitions.

Had a similar problem. The ship I wanted still had a dilithium cost. Had to click on the c-store ship, then click back on the one I wanted, and then the requisition showed up to claim the ship for free.
  • harrymonkleyharrymonkley Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The dialog with admiral quinn is a bit buggy, and doesn't always resolve correctly first time. Repeating the dialog gets the job done.
  • valinsterlingvalinsterling Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I had the same problem and found that not filtering out enough ships so that you can scroll one way and then back again allows you to select your free ship and have the "buy with ship token" button pop up for you to click instead of the dilithium cost.
  • captain185captain185 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have been playing STO since 2010. I never had a problem getting my free ships at promotion. Also, when you first talk to the Ship Requisitions Officer, and go to the appropriate screen use the arrows or the rank filter to get to the corresponding ships.:)
    So, I just push the buttons and things blow up? Fascinating...
  • henrysutton42henrysutton42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    i cant get any ship above star cruiser cant activate slip stream or aqquire a new ship without dilithium cost why i ask? you should get your level 50 ship for free i was told ?
    Admiral Saul Tulun Of The U.S.S. NightHawk
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    There is no ship req token for level 50.
  • dma1986dma1986 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    i cant get any ship above star cruiser cant activate slip stream or aqquire a new ship without dilithium cost why i ask? you should get your level 50 ship for free i was told ?
    No free ship at Lv50.

To get slipstream, you'll need to press P in sector space and drag the ability into your toolbar (Quantum Slipstream Drive).
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited November 2012

You may have to rerole that char to get the new ship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uxNZS4p8pg&list=SP8BAFF66ED99AA485&index=3&feature=plpp_video
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • koriel8koriel8 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    dma1986 wrote: »
    No free ship at Lv50.

To get slipstream, you'll need to press P in sector space and drag the ability into your toolbar (Quantum Slipstream Drive).

*Edit* NM, it finally popped up.
  • siobhan1980siobhan1980 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I was able to purchase the Cruiser refit, probably my first mistake, but I cannot activate it. I can only return to my original ship. What else must I do?
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I was able to purchase the Cruiser refit, probably my first mistake, but I cannot activate it. I can only return to my original ship. What else must I do?
    You have to talk to the Ship Selection Officer, and select your new ship as 'Active'
  • fiifthbusinessfiifthbusiness Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I just got promoted to Lt. Commander, went to the Admiral and got my free ship token and went to Requisitions. I sorted by Lt. Commander and chose the Constitution. I pressed Buy and it seemed to process the transaction. But then when I went to customize it wasn't there and I checked select ship and it's not there either. Bizzarly at the same time this electronic dance party broke out with laser lights and balloons and everyone dancing. Including my character! This was approx 12am EST so I don't know if this is some sort of evening easter egg or what. But I wasn't in a partying mood after having my ship disappear. Any ideas how I can get it back? or do I have to start over? :(
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I just got promoted to Lt. Commander, went to the Admiral and got my free ship token and went to Requisitions. I sorted by Lt. Commander and chose the Constitution. I pressed Buy and it seemed to process the transaction. But then when I went to customize it wasn't there and I checked select ship and it's not there either. Bizzarly at the same time this electronic dance party broke out with laser lights and balloons and everyone dancing. Including my character! This was approx 12am EST so I don't know if this is some sort of evening easter egg or what. But I wasn't in a partying mood after having my ship disappear. Any ideas how I can get it back? or do I have to start over? :(

Sounds like you purchased the ship, but then you have to go to the Ship Selection officer and actually switch to it. It doesn't swap you automatically.

As for the instant party thing, its a consumable device people can buy to cause that effect in social areas. Some players adore them, others loathe them. Its something any player can do.

Also, generally speaking, you don't want to post in any thread thats over 30 days old. Its usually considered bad form, and often the info is out of date. That said, everyone was new once, so now you know.
  • sindjin7sindjin7 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Had the same exact thing happen.
    Contacted a GM and was told to fill out a bug report.
    Nothing they can do to replace my spent token. And I have no new ship to choose from.

I ended up using another character, leveled it up to ten and had no problems getting into the Cruiser I purchased on the new character.
  • jasonb42jasonb42 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I just encountered this problem. In my case, my inventory was full and the new ship was hiding in the overflow inventory. Moved it over and the problem was solved.
  • ltodietltodiet Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I am new to the game. I bought some zen so I could purchase a new romulan ship. It was a ship one step up from beginner romulan ship. It says I purchased it but when I go to select ship it is not there. I carry the rank of centurion. Any help useful. Thanks.
  • ry0ku83ry0ku83 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ltodiet wrote: »
    I am new to the game. I bought some zen so I could purchase a new romulan ship. It was a ship one step up from beginner romulan ship. It says I purchased it but when I go to select ship it is not there. I carry the rank of centurion. Any help useful. Thanks.

It may be in a box in your inventory, and If your inventory was full it may be in your overflow bag. If all of the above fails you should be able to claim the ship again from the Zen store.
  • ltodietltodiet Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    New to the game. bought some zen to buy next ship in line after first romulan ship. I bought the ship however it does not show up under select ship. rank of centurion. please help. thanks.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ltodiet wrote: »
    New to the game. bought some zen to buy next ship in line after first romulan ship. I bought the ship however it does not show up under select ship. rank of centurion. please help. thanks.

Okay, so you bought a T2 Romulan Starship from the C-Store and your rank is currently centurion.

I am not in the game right now, but what you need to do is go to the C-Store and filter on T2 starships. The one that you purchased will say "Available" instead of stating the Zen cost. In the bottom right hand corner of the window you should see a "Claim" button. Click that button and you should then get your ship and be able to rename it in a pop up window.
  • guezmanguezman Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I had the same problem but this happened during a hotfix and there was confirmation of a purchase of my selected ship and I was quite unhappy with the game after that and came back to it now in hopes of a response to multiple bug reports sent, if any of you have any suggestions to recover the ship pls respond