test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lobi Crystal Bind Problem

paranoelparanoel Member Posts: 1 Arc User
Since we need to take real money, converted in Zen from my own account. The LOBI CRYSTAL should be account bind instead of character bind.

After all, I should be able to decide which of my own characters benefit's from them.

I.E.

I know, I should open boxes to a certain character if I want to do that. But since, I cant know exactly how many LOBI CRYSTALS there is in each boxes that I open, I get a lot of left overs scattered on all of my characters in my account.

Its my account, my real money and I would like the opportunity to dispose of them in my own ways within my own account.

For your consideration
Post edited by paranoel on

Comments

• Options
    hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Agreed.

You'll find almost no one on the forum who disagrees with you, unless they're working for Cryptic, and have to. Between auto-binding Lobi, and auto-binding Lobi store purchases, the system is very transparantly set up to be wasteful, to require you to open a dozen new lockboxes on an alt if you want a Lobi-store weapon for that alt, no matter how many boxes you've already opened and how many lobi you may have left on another alt.

The only argument ever offered against it is free Lobi. The two crystals you get from the free intro-mission - which is completely worthless - per character, and the 5 lobi you can earn replaying each of the original four feature episode series during their designated rerun weeks, again per character.

Totalling, at present, a potential 22 free Lobi per character, which buys nothing of any real consequence, and as such could be stricken. How many people will cry foul over some hypos and the paperback rules of acquisition? Take them, or leave them, I think it makes very little difference, and that it's made into a bigger problem than it really is, cause they really need it to be, but it does show us what we're up against...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • Options
    nikkyvixnikkyvix Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    hrisvalar wrote: »
    Agreed.

You'll find almost no one on the forum who disagrees with you, unless they're working for Cryptic, and have to. Between auto-binding Lobi, and auto-binding Lobi store purchases, the system is very transparantly set up to be wasteful, to require you to open a dozen new lockboxes on an alt if you want a Lobi-store weapon for that alt, no matter how many boxes you've already opened and how many lobi you may have left on another alt.

The only argument ever offered against it is free Lobi. The two crystals you get from the free intro-mission - which is completely worthless - per character, and the 5 lobi you can earn replaying each of the original four feature episode series during their designated rerun weeks, again per character.

Totalling, at present, a potential 22 free Lobi per character, which buys nothing of any real consequence, and as such could be stricken. How many people will cry foul over some hypos and the paperback rules of acquisition? Take them, or leave them, I think it makes very little difference, and that it's made into a bigger problem than it really is, cause they really need it to be, but it does show us what we're up against...

Please forgive me, I don't like putting people on the spot. But I do find these blanket generalizations about an entire population without a direct poll--as well as assumptions that one will not disagree unless they are cohorts of the developers of the very game we are spending our time playing (i.e. biased villains or ignorants)--sensational and oft misguided.

Goldfarmers and money scammists with no life have proven in other games that there are no depths one will not sink to farm up currency, and yes, this includes making and trashing multiple characters to farm up 2 Lobi per character. You would be able to delete and remake a character each time and do it over and over again on Account-bound characters.

Yes, that is free Lobi.
    Yes, it is pennies compared to what one must do and no generally sensible person would stoop to it.
    Yes, non-sensible or crazily focused people would do it.

My issue isn't against Account-bound Lobi--I'd actually like it. But like doubled dilithium rewards, I can at least understand why Cryptic won't do it. Don't paint Cryptic with the Brush of Unreasonableness just because they are trying to protect one of their business models. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
    "Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
  • Options
    nikkyvixnikkyvix Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    paranoel wrote: »
    Since we need to take real money, converted in Zen from my own account. The LOBI CRYSTAL should be account bind instead of character bind.

You don't need real money when you can grind up dilithium to convert for Zen.

Just so you know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
    "Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Account bound Lobi would be great, but the freebie ones could be a problem.

22 Lobi for a single toon doesn't sound like much, and indeed most Silver would only have one extra toon, making for 44 in all across both.

But Golds have three, so 66 Lobi. Two pets or a weapon right there, if still not a truly meaningful amount.

Lifers get two more character slots via Vet Rewards. Five toons makes that total 110. That's half a set weapon/console or a low end outfit.

More extreme cases need to be considered, too. I have fourteen alts. That's 308 Lobi. Or a whole shuttle with a sliver of extra Lobi. And fourteen is definitely not a high number of alts, if rumors have any grain of truth to them.

I'm not saying I disagree with account-bound Lobi, I'm just saying dismissing the exploit presented by that idea because it's paltry with a single alt is kind of short-sighted.
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'll agree, once again, Lobi should be account bound.
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    All the free Lobi can be tied to an accolade,like the ones we got with the last FE replay,and with that the Lobi are bound to that character.It's very easy for Cryptic to put in the code to make a distinction between 'free' and 'bought' Lobi,the already do it with Zen.(traded Dilithium for Zen = Zen only usable with STO, bought Zen can be used with all PWE games)
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Or tie the free lobi to an account wide accolade like the ones for Vet Rewards and/or the one that lets you skip the tutorial when you start a new fed character after completing it the first time.

There are ways to prevent gold farming with account bind items like Lobi. I honestly think that they've got a little sticky in somebody's office saying "Look into this" in regards to making Lobi account bind and cutting off the gold farmers at the knees, it's just not part of their official list of things to do at the moment.
  • Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I forget who posted it, but the best suggestion I've heard is to introduce green lobi. Green lobi would be given by missions, etc and would be character bound. Regular lobi, the orange kind, would only be obtained from lockboxes and account bound.

Surely that would fix any exploits? (I forget who you are, but to the person who thought of that idea, kudos!!)
  • Options
    hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    nikkyvix wrote:
    Please forgive me, I don't like putting people on the spot. But I do find these blanket generalizations about an entire population without a direct poll--as well as assumptions that one will not disagree unless they are cohorts of the developers of the very game we are spending our time playing (i.e. biased villains or ignorants)--sensational and oft misguided.

Well, define a direct poll for me. Cause I don't have a polling bureau at my disposal. I have though seen this issue come up before. More than once. And it's thus far aways followed roughly the same pattern. Virtually everyone agrees, Lobi should account-bind, Cryptic remains silent throughout, and we're left to extrapolate their reasoning ourselves. To invent some reason why the perfectly reasonable thing we think they should be doing, they're not.

That's where I think I may have unintentionally misled you. As I've seen these threads before, I've never seen a dev take a position in these discussions on the forum. They never came in themselves, or sent anyone to throw up any smokescreens. They have though shown their position on the matter by identifying Lobi as something that remains account bound, in threads on the matter of account binding that were not specific to Lobi, and Ask Cryptic.
    Q: (blastenblaster1) When will past Lobi store items be put back? And when will Lobi crystals be tradable between different characters on an account?

Dstahl:
    If you are looking for a chance to get the Ferengi items, they will be making a reappearance in a future update. The reason why Lobi crystals themselves cannot be traded between characters is because we offer all characters a chance to earn free Lobi and it would lead to an exploit.

That said, most items purchased through the Lobi store are tradable. If we remove the option for each character to earn free Lobi, then we could consider making Lobi account bound. The conflict is that players are continually asking for ways to earn free Lobi.

I never mentioned any cohorts, however. No cronies either. Or henchmen. I know I look it sometimes, but I'm not quite that hyperbolic. Working for Cryptic means just that, working for Cryptic. Devs. People who get paychecks and have to tow a company line. And if it's an outrageous concept to you, to consider a commercial entity like Cryptic and PWE might be motivated by money, I think we'll just have to agree to leave each other in our respective bubbles on this one.
    jexsamx wrote: »
    More extreme cases need to be considered, too. I have fourteen alts. That's 308 Lobi. Or a whole shuttle with a sliver of extra Lobi. And fourteen is definitely not a high number of alts, if rumors have any grain of truth to them.

Characters you have to not only get up to the minimum level to reach the giveaway Ferengi on Drozana, but level (or EC-buy) through all levelling content to get to the FE missions, which average about 30 to 45 minutes to complete each. For 14 characters, doing 4 FE series of 5 episodes, that's 140 to 210 hours of gameplay.

No offense, but they could give you, or whoever, that shuttle, and I'd still feel a hell of a lot more sorry for you than I would for Cryptic. Especially if that was achieved over the course of a single replay event. (Which thus far there's only ever been one of, using Lobi, so don't exactly come around every other month.) The Feature Episodes are good, some even great, but there's limits dude. :eek:

Personally, I don't care if they leave the free Lobi in or not. If they want to keep Lobi in as a reward for events, exploit free, they can go the accolades route. Once you collect the accolades on one, or across several characters, you just get a claim-once box of Lobi off the C-store and problem's solved. We know they can do this.

Lobi is directly linked to Lockboxes. Lockboxes are the lifeblood of this game, as it is now. I don't think the didn't-get-around-to sticky note, or "Just not a very high priority." sounds very plausible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • Options
    obiwanjabroniobiwanjabroni Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Simple response: account bind the Lobi, don't offer Lobi for free anymore.

I also have multiple toons and I'd really be much, much more open to lockboxing if I could decide where to move my Lobi after the fact. Sometimes it isn't much of an issue, but I regularly play KDF as well as Fed, and since you can potentially get different rewards dependent on faction, splitting the Lobi pool is a pain.

What would we lose? A handful of free Lobi once in a great while when we have episode replays? Big whoop. I'd rather control where the stuff that I pay for goes.
    sig_universal.png
  • Options
    cybershadow1cybershadow1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Personally i cant find any excuse for the account binding mechanic especially in a game like startrek. the federation generally supports free trade and most species engage freely in intergalactic trading. account binding should actually be removed completely as it prevents good high quality items from getting on the player market and keeps the in game market artificially inflated. just look at Eve online and how it has no binding mechanics what so ever yet maintains a relatively stable in game economy

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Account bound Lobi would be great, but the freebie ones could be a problem.

22 Lobi for a single toon doesn't sound like much, and indeed most Silver would only have one extra toon, making for 44 in all across both.

But Golds have three, so 66 Lobi. Two pets or a weapon right there, if still not a truly meaningful amount.

Lifers get two more character slots via Vet Rewards. Five toons makes that total 110. That's half a set weapon/console or a low end outfit.

I'm not saying I disagree with account-bound Lobi, I'm just saying dismissing the exploit presented by that idea because it's paltry with a single alt is kind of short-sighted.

So get rid of the Freebies.

Seriously, it's not a difficult work around. Drop the freebie Lobi and make those little orange carbon clusters account bound.