test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO and Windows 8 (release preview)

dmfreddie_1426533189dmfreddie_1426533189 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
Sorry if this is the wrong subforum but its a bit of several topics.

While STO ran brilliantly on Windows 7 for me, running it on Windows 8 is more interesting...sure on the Microsoft website it says yay it works with us and it does to some extent, since I moved to windows 8 there have been 'holes' see through parts in my Defiant and some of the bases I've been to. Another thing is that when STO loads (the logo loading screen for sto on the black background), the game always seems to freeze up my computer both monitors now and mess around with the OS a bit resembling the not aero compatible in Win7. Has anyone else been getting this or is it just me?

But I'm glad it works to some extent with Windows 8!
Join date: April 2010 ; Lifetime Sub since April 2010. Actual 1000 day vet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Proud Member of: Fubar Inc.
Post edited by dmfreddie_1426533189 on

Comments

• caliban149caliban149 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Windows 8 looks like the biggest pile of excrement Microsoft have released since Windows ME, whose primary purpose appears to be to turn my PC into some kind of giant mobile phone with "social media" integrated into everything

Total non-issue for me, I'll be sticking with 7.
  • cptmcauleycptmcauley Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I haven't looked into it too much, but W8 is sounding like the worst thing since Vista...
    [=/\= ================= =/\=]
    Tom McAuley
    U.S.S. Ares - Beta Squad - Section 31
    12th Fleet

[=/\= ================= =/\=]
  • intrepidukintrepiduk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    caliban149 wrote: »
    Windows 8 looks like the biggest pile of excrement Microsoft have released since Windows ME, whose primary purpose appears to be to turn my PC into some kind of giant mobile phone with "social media" integrated into everything

+1

If I wanted a tablet OS, I'd buy a tablet PC.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ahhh microsoft.

find a winning, successful formula then totally destroy it.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    No issues here on the system I have with Windows 8 and STO on it. You might want to check for newer drivers for your hardware.
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Windows 8? I am still running it under Windows 3.11 and MS DOS. :)

But seriously, I have it working on both Vista and XP SP3.
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    blargskull wrote: »
    Windows 8? I am still running it under Windows 3.11 and MS DOS. :)

But seriously, I have it working on both Vista and XP SP3.

Indeed, I'm still using Vista and plan on using it until my computer explodes from age. Going to upgrade the processor this weekend so I can get a bit more juice out of it. Should last me a couple more years after that until I need to up my graphics again.
  • aeonjeanaeonjean Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    As I understand it Windows 8 does not, it does have a ribbon which can be turned off but the main desktop or whatever is not like windows 7.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    dmfreddie wrote: »
    Sorry if this is the wrong subforum but its a bit of several topics.

While STO ran brilliantly on Windows 7 for me, running it on Windows 8 is more interesting...sure on the Microsoft website it says yay it works with us and it does to some extent, since I moved to windows 8 there have been 'holes' see through parts in my Defiant and some of the bases I've been to. Another thing is that when STO loads (the logo loading screen for sto on the black background), the game always seems to freeze up my computer both monitors now and mess around with the OS a bit resembling the not aero compatible in Win7. Has anyone else been getting this or is it just me?

But I'm glad it works to some extent with Windows 8!
    What Graphics Drivers are you using??? Most of these issue are Graphic Driver issues. AFAIK, only AMD has released 'Official' Windows 8 compatible drivers, (but only the most recent of AMD/ATI graphic cards are supported for this...)
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    What Graphics Drivers are you using??? Most of these issue are Graphic Driver issues. AFAIK, only AMD has released 'Official' Windows 8 compatible drivers, (but only the most recent of AMD/ATI graphic cards are supported for this...)

nVidia most certainly has Windows 8 drivers available in both 32 and 64 bit flavors.

I have been running the Windows 8 preview for quite a few months now and love it. The only issues I've had with STO are DX11 issues (black triangles of doom) but on the whole everything seems faster and more stable.
  • dood98998dood98998 Member Posts: 389
    edited August 2012
    ahhh microsoft.

find a winning, successful formula then totally destroy it.

Here!here! The truth speaks! Windows is like coke- winning formula, bit then some d- bag came and f-ed it up.
    When in doubt, (hehe) c4!
    This sig dedicated to the many random objects the Mythbusters crew has blow to smitherines :D
    edited August 2012
    dood98998 wrote: »
    Here!here! The truth speaks! Windows is like coke- winning formula, bit then some d- bag came and f-ed it up.

Yet somehow they remain on top. I never understood all the hate for MS. If they were terrible nobody would use their product, yet it is the most widely used OS in the world.
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    only because companies put MS OS on there computers. and the majority of people either 1) don't know how to uninstall an OS and put a different one on or 2) just don't care enough to bother
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    aeonjean wrote: »
    As I understand it Windows 8 does not, it does have a ribbon which can be turned off but the main desktop or whatever is not like windows 7.

You don't understand it correctly then.

Windows 8 has a desktop, very similar in design to Windows 7 but with minor aesthetic alterations.

Windows 8 is basically a faster, more power efficient, leaner version of Windows 7, but with a more functional screen attached to the Start Button.

EDIT: The forum doesn't like the "ae" ligature...
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yet somehow they remain on top. I never understood all the hate for MS. If they were terrible nobody would use their product, yet it is the most widely used OS in the world.

Its because its shipped with every PC and because of the monopoly MS had for so long it is the standard most companies (games included) write games for.

You need to understand that OS like UBUNTU and its descendants (linux based) outperform windows by an order of magnitude in stability, functionality and system resource use.

The only reason why Ubuntu system isnt widespread is because it cannot use directx (license issues..and guess who owns the license) and thus cannot run the bulk of games out there unless you use a very crappy emulator that doesnt work in most games.

But for work and almost anything else.. Ubuntu+ blows any windows system out of the water.

I'm looking forward to Win 8 only because its alleged to be a $30 cost OS. I've not purchased a windows OS since win95 and don't plan to ever again unless the price is under 50 dollars.. their ****ty OS is not worth more.
    edited August 2012
    You need to understand that OS like UBUNTU and its descendants (linux based) outperform windows by an order of magnitude in stability, functionality and system resource use.

I totally disagree. My wireless card which uses a widely used Broadcom chipset isn't even supported by Linux (yet), although it has been out for years. If you want a garbage OS, download a Linux distro. It's a fun learning toy to play with but that's about it. Linux is like Foundry content and Windows is like content from Cryptic. While both are nice to a degree, I prefer content from the pros.
  • trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm actually really psyched, with the performance of STO on the Intel HD 3000 and 4000 graphics and how the game will work on the Microsoft Surface Windows 8 Pro. Even if it isn't uber performance, I'll be able to do the exchange and stuff from the road tethering to my phone.
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    They've done it. They've finally gone and made a OS to be foolproof.

They never are.

I do not like smart phones. I like smart phones in my computers even less.
  • admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm having no problems with the full release from Technet.

It seems it is, as MS claimed, a bit snappier in general. Not a fan of the start screen though.
  • dood98998dood98998 Member Posts: 389
    edited August 2012
    They've done it. They've finally gone and made a OS to be foolproof.

They never are.

I do not like smart phones. I like smart phones in my computers even less.

I actually like smartphones, but my laptop ain't a smartphone. Win8 sound like anything you known try to fix something that ain't broke and actually break it in the process?
    When in doubt, (hehe) c4!
    This sig dedicated to the many random objects the Mythbusters crew has blow to smitherines :D
  • baclimonbaclimon Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Installing it now..Let's see how it does :)
  • xantrisxantris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    caliban149 wrote: »

Interesting, I haven't had a single issue w/ it and I've been using it for months. It's a faster leaner version of Windows 7, and the only real issue is the 20 minutes it takes to acclimatize yourself with the new navigation.

STO works great on it too.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    You might have confused the rules...
    Even numbered Trek movies are good.
    Odd numbered versions of Windows are good.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I just got Win 7-Pro for my birthday...(last Mon)

There's no way I'm changing again any time soon.

I'll wait for Win 10.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited October 2012
    I installed Windows 8 on the 26th (absolutely loving it so far!) and haven't had any problems with STO.

Wholes in textures etc. sounds like a graphics card and or graphics driver issue. Have you installed the latest drivers for your card?

I actually like smartphones, but my laptop ain't a smartphone. Win8 sound like anything you known try to fix something that ain't broke and actually break it in the process?
    Common complaint among those who haven't tried it yet. Give it a go - the new start screen is great for just diving in to the one application you want to run while you never get beholden to it. I spend 99% of my time on my PC on the desktop. The multi-monitor support is much better now and the new method of having a "metro" application running half/quarter screen is pretty nifty - I can run STO in full-screen mode within one frame while still having space reserved for IE on the right side.

You can buy Win 8 for ?25 still (digital download, upgrade from Win 7/Vista) so seems silly not to!
  • oldkirkfanoldkirkfan Member Posts: 1,263 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Win 8, huh? You mean, no more of Win 7's sudden unwanted upgrade shutdowns when you're in the middle of something...?

How will I cope...?
  • zenzenarimasenzenzenarimasen Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    You might have confused the rules...
    Even numbered Trek movies are good.
    Odd numbered versions of Windows are good.

Oh? Lets see... Windows 1 and 2 were hardly notable. Windows 3.x was pretty good. Windows 4.x (most people know of Windows 4 as Windows 9x) was even better, but it died there.

Windows NT 4 came out around the same time as Windows 4, but it was not the same operating system, completely different kernel and the API was merely compatible.

Then Windows NT 5 came out in 2000. NT 5 series includes Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003. Where Windows 2000 is NT 5.0, XP was actually NT 5.1

Windows NT 6 came out a number of years ago. It was known as Windows Vista. Vista was not well received.

Windows 7 is actually not truly a 7. It's Windows NT 6.1. Frankly, Microsoft's referring to NT 6.1 as 7 is terribly misleading to the general public. Windows 7 is not alone is sharing the version of NT 6.1, Windows Server 2008 R2 also has the designation of NT 6.1. Windows 7's full original release version number was NT 6.1.7600. Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is listed as NT 6.1.7601

Windows 8 is NT 6.2, so it's technically still a 6, not an 8. Windows 8's final public release is 6.2.9200. Just like Windows 7 shares it's NT version number with a Windows Server version, Windows NT 6.2 also includes Windows Server 2012.

So, if odd numbered Windows are good, only Windows 1, 3 and Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 were ever any good.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Ⓑ Ⓐ
  • lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    walshicus wrote: »
    I installed Windows 8 on the 26th (absolutely loving it so far!) and haven't had any problems with STO.

Wholes in textures etc. sounds like a graphics card and or graphics driver issue. Have you installed the latest drivers for your card?

Common complaint among those who haven't tried it yet. Give it a go - the new start screen is great for just diving in to the one application you want to run while you never get beholden to it. I spend 99% of my time on my PC on the desktop. The multi-monitor support is much better now and the new method of having a "metro" application running half/quarter screen is pretty nifty - I can run STO in full-screen mode within one frame while still having space reserved for IE on the right side.

You can buy Win 8 for ?25 still (digital download, upgrade from Win 7/Vista) so seems silly not to!

Windows 8.. y u no start menu and aero glass?

I will not touch 8, I like my start menu and Aero Glass just fine.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
    edited October 2012
    Windows 8.. y u no start menu and aero glass?

I will not touch 8, I like my start menu and Aero Glass just fine.

You can use a third party tool to bring back the old Start Menu if you really want it, though to be fair it took me hardly any time at all to get used to life with the Start Screen instead.

I mean 90% of actual user data indicated that people were using the Start Menu to find files by typing a couple of characters from the file name. That functionality is exactly the same on the Start Screen. Most people don't actually use the Start Menu to launch programs - they use desktop shortcuts or pinned applications in the task bar. So ditching the Start Menu isn't really that big a deal.

But again you can install a perfect replica if you really want it.

Aero glass? I can see why some people might prefer the look, but I honestly don't think the new theme is that much different from it.
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Windows 8 - Perfect for Tablets, Perfect for Phones

Windows 8 - NOT ideal for Desktops

That's the way I see it, stick to Win7 on Desktop, and if you are going to use a Tablet then use Win8, or on a phone as well. It best suites tablets/phones, it is not suited for desktops. Why anyone would install this on a desktop is beyond me.

Also, since Win8 is new, expect video card drivers to be immature for a time. It takes time to build mature drivers for a new OS, new issues come up, bugs and problems that have to be figured out and fixed. So, if you are an early adopter of Win8 on the desktop, expect driver issues, I'd give it several months to half a year, or until the first service pack.

Like Always, I think it won't be till Win9 that MS "gets it right" with the new OS.

I'm sticking to Win7 on my desktop until Win9 comes out. Win8 offers me nothing new I can't do on Win7. Since DX12 will also be released on Win7, I'm all good. Now if I get a tablet (i'm interested in MS Surface) then I'll get Win8 on that tablet.