test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Solar Wind

shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2012 in PvP Gameplay
Hi Cryptic!

Could you please remove this map? No one likes or wants it, it strains high-end machines and brings weaker ones to an absolute crawl. (Frankly the map is 110% unplayable for me and I'm just a liability whenever I load into it).

Thanks,

- S
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Post edited by shimmerless on

Comments

• azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Don't think PvPers like to have one less map.

Why not just ask them to remove those objects causing the problem?
  • therealsivartherealsivar Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hi Cryptic!

Could you please remove this map? No one likes or wants it, it strains high-end machines and brings weaker ones to an absolute crawl. (Frankly the map is 110% unplayable for me and I'm just a liability whenever I load into it).

Thanks,

- S

Yep, hate that map, and I still remember people getting angry during beta because the map was causing their graphics cards to overheat.....
    Don't think PvPers like to have one less map.

Why not just ask them to remove those objects causing the problem?

I think we'd make an exception for this map, also it's not the objects causing the problem (though they're not helping that's for sure), it's the background.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Support a KDF equivalent to the Vesta Here
  • hurleybirdhurleybird Member Posts: 909
    edited October 2012
    Jeez guys, just buy a 7970 and pay for it with bitcoin mining.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If that's the one I think it is, I get motion sickness in there and have to leave as soon as it loads...
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I just hate the map cause I feel like I'm moving backwards at times. My PC runs fine on it, but i hate it.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If that's the same map you see in the Captains Table system map, it's one of my favourites! :D
  • bobtheyakbobtheyak Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Solar Wind is a great map, it just sucks that so many people lag out on it :(
  • travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If that's the same map you see in the Captains Table system map, it's one of my favourites! :D

It's the map with the star streak effect all around you. Very distinctive.
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • starcommando101starcommando101 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I just wish the Solar Wind map actually MOVED your ship, keeping you on your toes... Kinda too plain....
    The Average PvP player
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1) Teamwork and timing is #1
    2) You cannot "Kirk It" in every ship
    3) You are going to die, just get back up
  • naz4naz4 Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    hurleybird wrote: »

Got one of them. Still makes my machine stutter at times. Before you ask its a 3rd gen core i7 powering it :)
  • dassemstodassemsto Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Solar wind: Absolute BS map.

And while we're at it, can we please have Meteron gas clouds in the centre of the Briar Patch map?
  • aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I only struggle with it once two teams clash and plasma/theta/pet spam gets heavy.

Wouldn't mind loosing it and getting a brand new map in return. How awesome would that be? Maybe put a starbase in it, and make one side defend and the other attack, round finishes then switch? Ahh, but they'll never do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • ivantomdisplayivantomdisplay Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I just wish the Solar Wind map actually MOVED your ship, keeping you on your toes... Kinda too plain....
    IIRC, in the beginning Solar Wind was slowing your ship. Or something similar. It was a brief period of time.
    [10:49] [Combat (Self)] Your Proton Barrage deals 96581 (43411) Proton(Critical) to Seto.
    Poor soul didnt have time to log out.
  • ghostyandfrostyghostyandfrosty Member Posts: 864
    edited October 2012
    hurleybird wrote: »

The problem is this games graphics engine not my graphics card. It doesn't let high end graphics cards use their full ponies. Nor does it let more than 2 cores of your processor to be used.

Some days it's not so bad. Others? It's an exercise in futility.

Yeah put me in the Delete It From The Game crowd.

No one likes the map, visually it's dull and uninteresting. Terrain wise it is even more devoid of it than a normal pvp map and that's saying something.

It's a lazy piece of garbage the devs put in because they couldn't be arsed to put in a decent map like the inside of a nebula or something. Seriously with all the fights inside of Nebulae in ST how in the bloody hell did we NOT get a nebula map?
  • hurleybirdhurleybird Member Posts: 909
    edited October 2012
    naz4 wrote: »
    Got one of them. Still makes my machine stutter at times. Before you ask its a 3rd gen core i7 powering it :)

Something else must be wrong then. I run the game in eyefinity, 5760x1200, with everything maxed out except for AA and have no problems on my 7970.

If you're using the DX11 renderer try changing to the DX9 one, or vice versa.

By the way Naz, have you checked out the latest 12.11 Catalyst beta drivers yet? Big performance increase across the board.
  • wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited October 2012
    the biggest problem with solar wind and the game in general is the code has evolved so much I am willing to bet it is almost 100% un playable on min reqs. I run with a quad core and a GTX470 and have had problems with solar wind on occasion, throw in the spam fest and forget about it. This is also true for the CnH map any time I get near the asteroids or sensor array with spam I can't activate TRIBBLE.
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
  • snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    the biggest problem with solar wind and the game in general is the code has evolved so much I am willing to bet it is almost 100% un playable on min reqs. I run with a quad core and a GTX470 and have had problems with solar wind on occasion, throw in the spam fest and forget about it. This is also true for the CnH map any time I get near the asteroids or sensor array with spam I can't activate TRIBBLE.

Me too. I thought NVIDIA cards got hosed with Cryptic's engine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]