test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

breaking news- pvp 10/19/2012

Comments

• emoejoeemoejoe Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Fleet Marks are rewarded by Fleet Content.
    Romulan Marks are rewarded by Romulan Content.
    Omega Marks are rewarded by Borg Content.

The only one of these that leaves wiggle room as a possible PvP reward is Fleet Marks, and that continues to be a topic of discussion. But it's a topic with relatively low priority when we're all running around trying to get Season 7 out the door on time.

Would it help at all if I mentioned that we've been kicking concepts for a possible PvP Reputation track?

no, but it might have helped way back if u ever gave a crud personally about pvp, like when doing STOKED or when u first got into the dev team.

thats a great summation of the way it ids, but not the way it should be. pvp should be the main driving force behind this game, not an apparent lackluster little thought of add-on
  • guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 494 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Kerrat and Otha are Borg Content. Shouldn't we get Omega Marks for them?
  • webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Honestly, as much as I like the Idea of PVP Rep, I like the Idea MORE of being able to PVP to get access to Rep based rewards. Adding it in to the end of a Space/Ground mission (Do 3, get Dilithium and Mark/Rep of choice) would be nice.

Although I can see the problem with "Well if you can just get it from PVP, why do PVE? Simple, make it so that you can obviously get MORE from PVE, but allowing those of us that want to PVP a way to get our Fleet marks and Reps as an alternative would be EXTREMELY helpful. Also, if the Hourly/Daily time gated bonus doesn't effect the PVP mission that is another excuse to go PVE for it if you want to grind/farm for the Rep/Marks.

Either way, that's my thoughts on the subject. And at this rate, any add on like that to PVP would help it more then hurt it.
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    guriphu wrote: »

Agreed. :eek: Can't believe I didn't even think of that one. :(
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dank65dank65 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited October 2012

The only one of these that leaves wiggle room as a possible PvP reward is Fleet Marks, and that continues to be a topic of discussion. But it's a topic with relatively low priority when we're all running around trying to get Season 7 out the door on time.

Would it help at all if I mentioned that we've been kicking concepts for a possible PvP Reputation track?

But thats the rub its always "We plan on looking at PvP after we get the next season done" but then the seasons done and its on to the next season and when the PvP community brings up PvP its "Well were all running around getting the next season done" its all
    just a little ugly catch 22........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banshee
    Bloodthristy
    Guild - <Lords of The Dead>
    LvL 60 CW-Dragon Server
  • dank65dank65 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Oh and another thought..........

I think they dont want to put any rewards in PvP because then when the general population
    of STO start to go into PvP to get these rewards and they see the sorry state of PvP its
    gonna be a s^&t storm of crying on the forums to fix it and they have no idea how to....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banshee
    Bloodthristy
    Guild - <Lords of The Dead>
    LvL 60 CW-Dragon Server
  • ghostyandfrostyghostyandfrosty Member Posts: 864
    edited October 2012
    webdeath wrote: »

Although I can see the problem with "Well if you can just get it from PVP, why do PVE?

Why would anyone want to PvE anyway. You can beat it by literally setting your weapons to max and smashing the space bar.

We PvPers should be rewarded for taking part in the most challenging content of any game. PvP. Instead cryptic keeps rewarding the moronic facerollers that barely installed the game by themselves.

You know what? Fourth Horizon.

F%&k it
  • matteo716maikaimatteo716maikai Member Posts: 823
    edited October 2012
    guriphu wrote: »

BOOM we have a winnar!

then they could make a "romulan" verson of these (ie take out borg insert romulans) for the same thing. then they could do this for whatever flavor of thw eek alien they make.

problems solved- pvp gets new "content" (maps and things to do) AND we can earn rep and marks.

wouldnt you agree borticus?
  • aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

I join the queues with fleet members (Just like the PVE queues)
    We use teamwork in order to win (Just like the PVE queues)

I'm sorry, is that not dangerously similar to a ****ing fleet mission?!

I just don't understand. The concept seems so ****ing obvious to me. It really is! But yet here we are having this fleetmark PVP thread again.

When we first asked for it we got no answer at all, probably from hopes of the concept just going away.

When we asked again all we were told that fleet marks were too open to abuse. Despite being told that Cryptic could remove all PVP from the game and it wouldn't harm it's playerbase as a whole even slightly, be Gozer.

We get told in a blog by i think DStahl (I'll find it) that fleet marks in PVP were incoming.

Yet every week we're strung a bit more line "We're discussing it" - "It's in concept groups right now" - "We have some random new guy working on it" - "We're porting tech from NeverWinter that's now way more important then you are, stay tuned for scraps" - "It's on the back burner but expect PVP content in Season 5" - "It's on the back burner but expect PVP content in Season 6" - "It's on the back burner but expect PVP content in Season 7" - "How about 8 or 9, next year guys?"

If you look at the PVP and PVE forum sections, we have more posts and more threads then the entire PVE section, half of them are simply PVPers asking for content as back-rent from Beta.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    BOOM we have a winnar!

then they could make a "romulan" verson of these (ie take out borg insert romulans) for the same thing. then they could do this for whatever flavor of thw eek alien they make.

problems solved- pvp gets new "content" (maps and things to do) AND we can earn rep and marks.

wouldnt you agree borticus?

They can't even make the zone thats there work now... you think they are going to want to draw new players attention to that. lol

Ya know really though TRIBBLE all the new content... take your new zone and shove it... just fix whats already out there for one "season". lol
  • dant158#3249 dant158 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Foundry daily mission is fleet content?
    And pvp'ing with a fleet isn't?
  • linkdown1linkdown1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

If this does not change before launch i think where going to lose what ever left of us pvpers
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    +1 omega marks for kerrat.
    Also calling foundry one click dailies "fleet content" but pvp not fleet content is a bad joke.
    Fleet marks for pvp wrppers need to happen, so i kindly suggest moving that up your priority list pronto. To late to change anything, it is being discussed, blah blah blah you had a whole season to do this.
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    That's sad to hear.

I pvp more than I pve. I wish I could be properly rewarded like pve....
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Why don't you give out Fleet Marks for content completed while teamed with your fleet?

So if I run a PvP session with four of my fleet mates, we'll get x Fleet Marks on completion. Fewer fleet mates would reduce the number of FMs given.

How about that?
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • esuziesuzi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I feel like this may be a great opportunity for the PvP community to think up some new PvP content, which could reward marks. Going with warzone or scenario based ideas, I'm sure we could come up with 1 new ground/space PvP match with a fleet focus, and 1/1 with a Romulan focus. Diversified PvP, and marks for PvP in one go seems like a great idea to me.

Romulan ground idea:
    In a vie for favour, Starfleet and Klingon forces clash while assisting with a Romulan colonial evacuation.

Gameplay:
    Defend Romulan colonists as they make their way to the evacuation zone.
    Teams fight for control over the evacuation zone (king of the hill essentially).
    Once enough colonists have made their way to the evacuation zone, the team with the most hold points wins.
  • spacepenguin121spacepenguin121 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    walshicus wrote: »
    Why don't you give out Fleet Marks for content completed while teamed with your fleet?

So if I run a PvP session with four of my fleet mates, we'll get x Fleet Marks on completion. Fewer fleet mates would reduce the number of FMs given.

How about that?

That would make too much sense. Right now the only think "fleet" missions have to do with a fleet is that you need to be in one to queue for them, which makes it all the more of a joke that you can't get fleet marks for pvp because its not "fleet" content. :mad:
    edited October 2012
    havam wrote: »
    Also calling foundry one click dailies "fleet content" but pvp not fleet content is a bad joke.

Ok. You got me nodding along with this.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • ghostyandfrostyghostyandfrosty Member Posts: 864
    edited October 2012
    Ok. You got me nodding along with this.

Then quit pulling bad jokes on us and Do Something.
    Getting more people into the ques across the board means that while yes we'd get more afkers (something we already discussed on how you can fix that particular problem multiple times already), you'd also get more people that will get hooked on pvp. Or at least have the people that already did enjoy pvp come back to the ques.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'll maintain again that the only way to have balanced PvP at this point is with limited options and paid entry fees.

Sit down with Geko. Design 3 ships that are balanced for each faction. Get Jamjamz to work up new hulls for them and some model tweaks.

Host a PvP tournament. The entry fee is buying one of these ships. Maybe have a 3 pack special like the Odyssey bundle.

Only these specially balanced ships can queue for the rated tournament maps.

Only rated tournament maps provide PvP reputation.

Rinse and repeat every 4-6 months.

Unless you want a WoT model where you have rich barons crushing peasants, PvP needs to be monetized with a flat fee entry model. Subs take care of this mostly in a sub game. In a game like STO, the rated play needs to be in regulated ships.
  • linkdown1linkdown1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Repeating that same pve garbage over and over i mind numming. But i can pvp for hours.

Cryptic you have unlimited content its called pvp give us foundry tools to let us create some maps.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Also, if you want to brute force a defacto tournament ladder without making a tech request, here's how:

You have a mission that is available in 5 event calendar timeslots on a 7 day cooldown that awards a victory token.

The victory token is required for project progress.

The people who progress the most have to win and you need a win to queue for the next week's rated match.

You keep going until 20 remain and host a live event with them, with prizes.
  • stevehalestevehale Member Posts: 437
    edited October 2012
    Entry fees to PvP?

Maybe I misunderstood something but would someone please explain to me the logic behind charging the "smallest" population in a free to play game while allowing the largest population to PvE freely?

Get out of here with that garbage, lol.
  • falloutx23falloutx23 Member Posts: 456
    edited October 2012
    Then quit pulling bad jokes on us and Do Something.
    Getting more people into the ques across the board means that while yes we'd get more afkers (something we already discussed on how you can fix that particular problem multiple times already), you'd also get more people that will get hooked on pvp. Or at least have the people that already did enjoy pvp come back to the ques.

Hopefully I'm mistaken, but I read borticus' response as he's thinking of pulling fleet marks from foundry dailies. Bort, could you elaborate?
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    crypic, wheres the pvp "love" you said you had?

PvP is lucky enough not to get any dev attention. It's a blessing since any serious attention will turn into an attempt to make loads of cash with it. :rolleyes:
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    That's sad to hear.

I pvp more than I pve. I wish I could be properly rewarded like pve....

I always go to Kerrat and plink when I play. If the darned mission came along often to make it worth more than the fun of it would be great.

Entry fees to play PvP? Hell no. For a fee I would expect service that measures up to the value of said fee. It starts a dangerous path in my opinion and the gripes if it not worth will make past and current outcries seem tame.

We certainly need balance and big bug wipe if some are to be taken seriuosly.
    I am not a fan of the cross-faction adapted sets.

Unless that aformention balance/bug wipe is right behind it.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2012
    falloutx23 wrote: »
    Hopefully I'm mistaken, but I read borticus' response as he's thinking of pulling fleet marks from foundry dailies. Bort, could you elaborate?

I don't have the authority to do so, and wouldn't even if I did. I love the Foundry dearly, and want to encourage as much play of it as possible.

I also don't have the authority to add Marks of any kind to PvP. It's a discussion that requires examination and discussion by many different parties, and I am not one of the decision-makers in that mix. Just the advocate.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Games are driven mostly by rewards. PvP has no rewards. So in essence if rewards are not put in there will not be anything more than a small crowd that want pvp which reminds me of the game doom and death matches with a friend lol Its virtually the same thing as it stands.
  • perfectcrypticperfectcryptic Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited October 2012

So any of the old episodes in the Romulan story will reward romulan marks??
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    falloutx23 wrote: »
    you ok buddy? a few weeks ago, you were starting <3 threads for the devs and the game ;)

Cups empty, kool aides gone...:(

Let's face it, to have anything to do with PvP right now, we all have to be a little bi-polar.