test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suggestion for the Ignore Feature

godsin22godsin22 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
Just ignoring these players is not enough, just because you can no longer see what they type doesn't stop them from being a complete nuisance to players trying to enjoy the game.
In other games I have played, when you ignore someone it actually makes that Players invisible to each other.
This is the most effective way of stopping the harassment of players as defined in the Terms of Service under "User Conduct" sections

(f) "Stalk," threaten or otherwise harass or cause discomfort to another;
(n) Take any action that disrupts the Service or that negatively affects or may prohibit other users from enjoying the Website, the Games or any other aspect of the Service.

It seems that complaints made are not stopping these players from being a constant violation of those rules.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Askray
Post edited by godsin22 on

Comments

• vinru821vinru821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    That would be awesome.

For a sec I thought you were going to suggest a total "Ignore Fleet" option.

Wouldn't that be useful lol
    :eek:
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    godsin22 wrote: »
    In other games I have played, when you ignore someone it actually makes that Players invisible to each other.

Which games have that?
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    syberghost wrote: »
    Which games have that?

Probably those which dont allow people to exploit the "chat ban" system :rolleyes:
  • godsin22godsin22 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    syberghost wrote: »
    Which games have that?

Second Life, DDO, Utherverse, Original Neverwinter Nights Community coded Persistent worlds. I can think of off the top of my head.
    I have also heard it is used in Everquest2 and WoW, but I have never played either of those so those are unconfirmed.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Second Life, DDO, Utherverse, Original Neverwinter Nights Community coded Persistent worlds. I can think of off the top of my head.
    I have also heard it is used in Everquest2 and WoW, but I have never played either of those so those are unconfirmed.

Definitely not true in WoW. Can't confirm or challenge the rest, though, so I'll take your word for it. The only one I've played more than momentarily was DDO, and I never played enough to get around to ignoring anybody.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • godsin22godsin22 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Bumping this.

This is still a good feature in my opinion. I hope that it will get some attention.
    It is harder and harder to enjoy the game due to so many players harassing.

I am sure that this option would not only help players avoid harassment, but would alleviate some of the reports received daily by GM's, just a thought.
  • tosmessharrtosmessharr Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    When multiple fleets exist for the sole purpose of griefing. We the players who do not participate in this type of behavior need a way to put them out of sight/out of mind. Individually or fleetwide. You do not see the full extent of the problem because many people quit the game over it and move on. The question is.. do we want a continuous feed of people quitting over this but never saying anything, OR do we want a fix. A fix that allows the griefer's to stay, and those that do not cause problems to enjoy peace and quiet from seeing or reading anything from them.

Take it as you will. I hope I will not regret purchasing lifetime. But what I can change is the amount of zen I buy. In my business I do not allow one patron to grief another, and I think it's fair to ask the same.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    vinru821 wrote: »
    That would be awesome.

For a sec I thought you were going to suggest a total "Ignore Fleet" option.

Wouldn't that be useful lol

The ability to to mark all of Starfleet Dental as "ignored" at once?! Dare we dream?
  • cakeballscakeballs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    foundrelic wrote: »
    The ability to to mark all of Starfleet Dental as "ignored" at once?! Dare we dream?

I find this highly offensive. Starfleet Dental is a proud fleet. Yeah, my members aren't all that friendly, but they are generally good people. I would vouch for anyone regardless of being in my fleet. They are good men and women and deserve the respect of anyone in this game.
  • zenzenarimasenzenzenarimasen Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Second Life...

No. When you mute someone on Second Life, that person can still see you, but you can't see them. Well, you can see them, but they show up as a blank, generic grey human silhouette sprite. If you're within range of being able to be "rezed" by their client, they can still stalk you and everything else that was talked about above. What's more, they are not prevented from looking at the "picks" on your profile and using them to figure out where else you might hang out to stalk you or worse.

I've actually used the picks on a friend's profile to find a place they hang out at when that place wasn't even listed on their picks. I was just using logic. I wasn't stalking them, the place was a shopping area and I was hoping to find something they might like to buy it for them. Then I bumped into them when I went there there. If I can do it by accident, a stalker can do it far easier on purpose.

The thing is, the ignore feature on STO causes people to become muted for 24 hours if too many people add them to ignore in a short period of time. So ignoring people can prevent them from annoying others (at least for 24 hours). It can also inadvertently cause someone to be ineffective in a team due to the complete and total inability to communicate.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Ⓑ Ⓐ
  • thyuberdudethyuberdude Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Like i said in another thread of someone being chat banned for no real justifiable reason. Sense we have the ability to ignore. The current system of Chat banning serves no purpose, other then to give trolls and abusers another way to troll and abuse. How hard do you think it would be for me to get 10 of my Team speak buddies on DS9 to all add joenuggets to there ignore list to force a 24 hour chat ban on him just for grins and giggles? Yup, not hard at all...

Ban Hammers should be in the hands of Moderators and NOT players.

What I would like to see however is what others in this thread including the OP suggested.. Adding someone to ignore makes it so you can't see there toon And can no longer be teamed with them in PVE or PVP instances. In other words, if you ignore them, It's as if they no longer exist to you. But this would work both ways. If you ignore someone then they no longer see you either.

But either way. Weather this system is ever put in place or not. The current system of, X number of ignores by X number of players in X amount of time Equals 24 hour chat ban needs to go. Players abuse it and it can truly Disrupt an honest players game play worse then a chat troll ever could.
  • admiralbogemusadmiralbogemus Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I don't mind getting ignored. I do play aggressive and sometimes it shows. If I beat you in the Fast and Furious race, and you ignore me, I am still fine with it. But if you ignore me, don't send me a pm then ignore/report spam. This is a blatant harassment.
  • cptvanorcptvanor Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    DDO

I'm not sure about DDO, but I know LotRO didn't have such a feature. I'd be surprised if DDO did, since it was made by the same people.
    Original Neverwinter Nights Community coded Persistent worlds.

I know this wasn't true for all NWN PW's. None of the ones I played had this feature, and I helped build a couple
    of them myself,

EDIT: This thread has been closed due to being a "necro" thread. Remember, if a thread has not been posted to in over 30 days, please start a new thread to discuss a topic :) Thanks! ~BranFlakes
This discussion has been closed.