test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Opinion - Regent or Odyssey?

red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Federation Discussion
Well, I've had the Regent since it was launched, and I have to say it's a pretty decent ship. However, I'm not sure if I ought to swap back to my Odyssey (3-pack, using the tac or sci version) or not.

This brought up the question - for those who have both, which do you favor and why? I'm curious as to see what the reaction has been to the Regent, since I've heard people who prefer the Odyssey and those who have preferred the Regent, so I thought I'd just ask here.
Post edited by red01999 on

Comments

• Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,196 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Depends on your build but I perfer the Regent due to the turn rate and Boff layout.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Take the 180deg torp from the Regent and place it on your Tac Oddy. Want manuverability? Pop the top on your Ody and go to town. :)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    or do something completely different and use the Excelsior, it's just a smidge less P2W than the Regent
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    You currently have both right? Why are you asking us XD.

That aside, I'd take the Oddy over the regent (as of right now). The oddy is tankier, higher damage output capacity, and better ability (albeit not constantly) to move around. As crypticarmsman sad, pop the top and go to town. I do that and my dps increase by a good 30% and suddenly turning is not an issue XD.

But I also have to say, metreon console, although not practical, is quite fun.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    rdm1958rdm1958 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have both the regent and oddy 3 pack. i am a BIG oddy fan, especially the tac and sci oddy. i agree with the post above. the oddy tanks better and does more damage.
  • Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    You currently have both right? Why are you asking us XD.

That aside, I'd take the Oddy over the regent (as of right now). The oddy is tankier, higher damage output capacity, and better ability (albeit not constantly) to move around. As crypticarmsman sad, pop the top and go to town. I do that and my dps increase by a good 30% and suddenly turning is not an issue XD.

But I also have to say, metreon console, although not practical, is quite fun.

Actually I was just wondering what the general thoughts were on the ships. I know the Regent's been somewhat controversial, so I was curious what those on the forum might think.
  • Options
    studleydoostudleydoo Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    For me, it depends are your playstyle. The Odyssey has the greater tanking potential and the Regent has the greater offensive potential. I love flying a fast-moving DPS cruiser that has decent tanking and high offensive power...so I fly the Regent. I absolutely love it. Depending on the situation, I even fly with Tac in Lt Universal, so I have LtCom Tac, Lt Tac, and Ens Tac....and that is alot of Tac abilities while still being able to tank well. The destructive results is awesome to behold.

Of course, the C-store Odyssey can match this level of Tac abilities too by using both Lt and Ens Universals for Tactical...but that comes at greater cost in tanking abilities, as it only has Com ENG to tank...and I prefer a Lt Eng (that the Regent has) over the Lt Sci (that the Odyssey has) for tanking. Also when the Fleet Assault Cruiser comes out with an extra Tac console slot, it will give further tactical edge.

So the answer to your question depends on what you want out of the cruiser. If it is tactical...then the Regent is better. If it is tanking...the Odyssey is better.
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have the Tac Oddy, didn't consider getting the Regent. Main problem i have with the Regent when compared to the Tac Oddy is that both are same price, but Oddy gets higher hull and shields then other cruisers and 1 more console and the universal boff stations. Regent gets same console layout, hull, and shields as the free Sovereign so all you are paying for is one more Lt Cmdr tac ability at the expense of an engineering one, a underpowered torpedo and a weak console that takes up one of your only 9 console slots, and a unique skin.

Its just doesn't hold up as a 2500 zen ship, it might be worthwhile at 2000 zen but I probably still wouldn't get it.

I will stick with the Tac Oddy until the Fleet Assault Cruiser comes out, its everything the Regent should have been but isn't, a cruiser with increased hull, shields, 4 tac consoles, and an even more tactical oriented Boff layout.
    http://www.stowiki.org/Fleet_Assault_Cruiser_Refit
    Sad thing is the stupid Regent is probably the reason they have delayed releasing the Fleet Assault Cruiser for so long.

Don't settle for the lame mediocre Regent! Demand the Fleet Assault Cruiser be released now!
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I don't have them both. But I will buy the Odyssey over the Regent. Due to the Odyssey looks better, I already have a Sovereign, and my big ship I buy needs to be a good one. Unless they come out with the Ambassador before I can get the Odyssey. Then I will be after the Ambassador.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited October 2012
    The regent looks better

The oddessy fights better and looks
    Terrible without it's saucer

It's worst drawback is the stupid cool down
    If you have to respawn (5min) if you really
    Like the maneuverability without the saucer
    If you respawn you might as well go do something
    Else for 5 minutes

Saucer sep cooldown is why I don't pvp with
    It
    If your fine with the regent stay with it the oddy
    Is like a drug with saucer sep once you use it
    You don't want to fly with the saucer.
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    novemberalphanovemberalpha Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    the regent is not a bad ship at all I have not real complaints but I do agree with one of the post the ship is basiclly the same as the sov class. I am looking to get the TAC oddy at some point but over all like I said imo the regent is a good ship I like flying this frame.
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Go with the Oddy and put cannons and turrets on it.You will get a good 360 fire power from it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers