test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sector Maps are cluttered - simple to fix!

walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
One of the things I've noticed about the sector block maps in the game is how cluttered they are. Text overlaps text and generally it can be hard (especially in the KDF home sector block) to see individual systems.

I think there is a simple way to stop this being an issue: Remove the text "system". So "Qo'nos System" would just be "Qo'nos", "Beytan System" would just be "Beytan" and so on.

The text "system" does nothing but clutter the map - no additional information is conveyed.

What do you guys think?
http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
Post edited by walshicus on

Comments

• leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    walshicus wrote: »
    One of the things I've noticed about the sector block maps in the game is how cluttered they are. Text overlaps text and generally it can be hard (especially in the KDF home sector block) to see individual systems.

I think there is a simple way to stop this being an issue: Remove the text "system". So "Qo'nos System" would just be "Qo'nos", "Beytan System" would just be "Beytan" and so on.

The text "system" does nothing but clutter the map - no additional information is conveyed.

What do you guys think?

It's not an issue if you zoom the map.
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I think its a good suggestion, especially if the art was changed as well to also reinforce the difference between a system, an object, an anomaly etc. Like the syfy channel icon for a planetary system.

However, I do have a feeling that this wouldn't be easy for Cryptic to change (for the old systems at least). Perhaps those names are tied closely to the missions connected with them. Its been shown in the past that Cryptic sometimes lacks design forethought when creating things that could potentially change in the future.

It would be nice to think they could simply edit the names and the changes would propogate throughout the various databases though.

It does make sense for some systems. One of the new systems in the upcoming Season 7 sector is called Archer's System, if I recall correctly (there are a few examples of such systems).
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    3 things bother me about sector space

1. Not being able to pilot from the bridge

2. Plotting an autopilot course and getting asked if want to enter some damned cluster I never asked for

3. the size of the map or maybe the time it takes to travel, I always heard space was infinite :rolleyes:
  • tanith1989tanith1989 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    sector space needs a rework we all know it we have all said it but still not done like so much in this game needs reworking but i doubt we will see it reworked anytime soon. i hope i am wrong.
    It needs to be bigger i am bored of crossing the federation in less than 5 mins it should be that if your at deep space 9 that is your base of operations not well i will just pop back to earth space dock and then nip on over to deep space K7 before i pop on back to deep space 9 after a little visit with battle fleet Omaga. if you want to go to a different area it should be a massive logistical journey with peril and an adventure across deep space where you could run into raiders or a Borg scout or even an old dominion warship you get the picture. Sector space should be big it should be dangerous and it should be surprising from time to time
    Ketan Merious
    Captain, U.S.S Transcendent
    Explorers Fleet, Senior Member
    We want an Odyssey variant give us it
  • thomas12255thomas12255 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I really hope merging the sectors in on the list of stuff to do for next year, they need to make space bigger, make it take a while to travel so our transwarp network actually makes sense. Add nebula effects like the Briar patch and Badlands so space is actually interesting to fly through.
    [SIGPIC]http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Thomas45-STO.png[/SIGPIC]

{UFP}Thomas45 - Thomas Nixon U.S.S. Majesty Unbound
    edited October 2012
    also for things like the badlands and briar patch should influence the speed at which you travel so if i am going to be going through the badlands i can only travel max warp 6 or something
    Ketan Merious
  • aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited October 2012
    tanith1989 wrote: »
    also for things like the badlands and briar patch should influence the speed at which you travel so if i am going to be going through the badlands i can only travel max warp 6 or something

why would you want that??

i think that they should double the speed your ship travels at its current rate.
    going through space is so slow
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Are you doing something about that aarons9?

Skills? Specific Engines? Abilities? There are options.

Environmental effects in sector space is a novel idea, but, I'd rather not see them used en-masse. For example, imagine taking a detour to make a rotation of a particularly dense gravity system which could give you a slingshot type temporary speed boost. Handy for racing.
  • theultimatextheultimatex Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    You could use the third tab and avoid using the Sector maps altogether. I only use it really to tell distance between points not on the space map.
  • stockwelldaystockwellday Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Sector space as it is now is absurd.

Feels small, cramped, and nothing at all like you're in space. Space travel should not feel like you're moving between those level dots in Super Mario World.

I suggest the Devs load up Homeworld/Homeworld 2 for an idea of what being in space should feel like.

And I still get incredibly frustrated when I'm trying to manouver and I hit the invisible Y axis wall. They might as well colour the "bottom" of space blue and put propellers on our Space Ships / Aeroplanes / Boats.

Sorry, slightly off topic there.

But there should be an option to access helm control from your bridge, select a sector/system and then plot a course with a timer saying how long it would take (5 minutes or something). If you leave your ship before then, you reappear where you started, otherwise you pop out into sector space view nearby the system selected.
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    vestereng wrote: »
    3 things bother me about sector space

1. Not being able to pilot from the bridge

It's been stated quite clearly, time and time again, that STO treats your ground toon and starship as the same character, simply swapping appearances as needed. Therefore, when you move from space to ground or vice versa, your last position is simply "forgotten".

To fly from the bridge would require a complete fundamental rewrite of how the game treats toons and ships, which simply isn't going to happen.

You're just going to have to settle with Bridge Commander.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
    edited October 2012
    if i am honest as much as i would like to fly from the bridge its not my main bother with sector space i just want it bigger much much bigger
    Ketan Merious
  • gemackgemack Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    walshicus wrote: »

What do you guys think?

use your zoom.