test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Some of season 7 is being downloaded to your computer?

2»

Comments

• Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    dkeith2011 wrote: »
    My client crashes every time I try to log in my Klingon. He is currently in the Quo'nos shipyard.

I've made the launcher change and restarted but still crashes.

I'm getting this too. What's going on?
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    My client crashes every time I try to log in my Klingon. He is currently in the Quo'nos shipyard.

I've made the launcher change and restarted but still crashes.
    walshicus wrote: »
    I'm getting this too. What's going on?

This problem resolved itself after about an hour, no idea what caused it or what fixed it.
  • Options
    levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This problem resolved itself after about an hour, no idea what caused it or what fixed it.

I have decided to leave it on. i would rather get the download of everything for all maps they sit there waiting or server not responding everytime I enter a new area or on that has been change.

Ever since i did this today I have not had 1 crash or 1 server not responding and almost no wait time changing maps. i will stick with "disable on-demand" patching ticked off in my launcher.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    rehpic wrote: »
    Season 7 is not being patched down to players yet. The first time you see it will be as a pre-patch. You can tell that a pre-patch is happening when you quit the game and the launcher pops up again and starts patching. At any rate, the pre-patch won't happen until we are closer to launch, and after Season 7 has been on Tribble for some time.

The reason you get a large patch if you disable on-demand patching is that there are a lot of game assets that are only needed if you play specific content. For example, there are several gigabytes of Star Cluster maps and related assets that will patch on demand as you play them, but you will never need otherwise. I would encourage people to NOT disable on-demand patching, since it will slow you down from getting into the game every time we do a major update, as you wait for a bunch of assets you may never need to download.

I turned off On-Demand Patching the day it was added to the game and never looked back...

I'd rather start the launcher up and go do something else while it finishes..., than sit in front of a loading screen for five minutes right in the middle of actually playing the game.

Sorry, but that's bad advice from my point of view.

I too noticed that is was only a 3GB patch that was sent my way... maybe it had something to do with Them adding Red Shirt back to the launcher the other day...

That, was a 13 GB addition I saw, though it didn't actually DL that much.

I wonder what this 3-5 GB was, seems like a pretty big addition to the game for supposedly NOT having anything to do with Season 7???

Wish I knew how to sneak around in the files...
    ... though I would never admit that I was doing so.

;)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    suprcheezesuprcheeze Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Cryptic regularly adds assets for future content updates several patches in advance. Nothing new there...