test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can someone explain to me how.

thyuberdudethyuberdude Member Posts: 43 Arc User
edited October 2012 in The Academy
In game 24 hour chat bans work? Is it something a GM does or is it something that happens as a result of a few players flagging another player for spamming?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It is community driven. When a player gets X number of spam reports from other players in the game the system automatically inputs a 24-hour chat ban on the player.
  • thyuberdudethyuberdude Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thank you for the reply! :) Do you know how many reports it takes to do that? Or better yet is there a site or page you can direct me to explaining it? Thanks again.
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    it is kind of a broken system. my recruiter in my fleet will put a message or two up in zone chat or something (not even spamming it really) and people flag him. and he recieves a 24 hr. ban. (which is unwarranted). funny thing is he doesnt really use zone chat for any other reason.

so while it helps us self moderate the "special" users who flame nonsense, it also opens up a greifing key for people who find it fun to get people 24 hr. bans, or people who are set against fleets who dont like seeing the recruiting messages.
    edited October 2012
    I'm glad im not the only one with the issue.. I'm up to my second 24 hour ban and It has me to the point of wanting to rage quit and tell everyone and there brothers mothers uncles sisters second cousin to stay away from STO. Community moderated Chat is a giant mistake IMO and should be the job of PW-Cryptic Appointed in-game moderators..

I got out of a game that glitched and screwed the team out of fleet marks so i said a few choice words venting in DS9 chat (wrong i know) I didn't spam.. I didn't keep ranting.. I made one statement and that was it .. a minute later I'm on a 24 hour chat ban.

Its fantastic to play a game that has the ability to pour salt on an already open wound.

Bottom line is it needs to be fixed. Otherwise I won't be held responsible for the rage trolling I start doing if and when i receive my 3rd 24 chat ban from other players who are, in most cases, the real trolls.
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    puttenham wrote: »
    it is kind of a broken system. my recruiter in my fleet will put a message or two up in zone chat or something (not even spamming it really) and people flag him. and he recieves a 24 hr. ban. (which is unwarranted). funny thing is he doesnt really use zone chat for any other reason.

so while it helps us self moderate the "special" users who flame nonsense, it also opens up a greifing key for people who find it fun to get people 24 hr. bans, or people who are set against fleets who dont like seeing the recruiting messages.

That happens because people think "what I dont like or want it must be spam" not to mention the smart arses who report people just for the sake of it .Of ocurse people who dont like a recruitment message/other kind of things (usually people can hate just because you exist) cant add that person to ignore but this never happens because cryptic thought to TRIBBLE off players by adding something to exploit.I know people who exploit this are less guilty than those who are paid to prevent exploits which can only annoy (i dont know 1 person who has something good to say about "lets ban people" )

I got out of a game that glitched and screwed the team out of fleet marks so i said a few choice words venting in DS9 chat (wrong i know) I didn't spam.. I didn't keep ranting.. I made one statement and that was it .. a minute later I'm on a 24 hour chat ban.

It doesnt matter what you say ...people are not paid to ban you or to decide what is spam or what is not spam.Also I dont remember any rules on that chat.They should add chat rules then spam button.
    edited October 2012
    Agreed, Its one of many ridiculous systems that need to be addressed but the purpose of my OP was to figure out exactly how it happens and now I know. I'm debating on weather or not i should attempt a forums Crusade to try and get it changed but something tells me it would be in vein..
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have never used reported any one. Nor have I ever been chat banned. But there is a very simple way to avoid falling victim to it. Moderate yourself.

Before you type anything ask yourself, will this annoy any ordinary person to the extent that they will report me? then ask yourself, will this annoy your average idiot to the extend that they will report me?

If the answer to either of the above questions is yes, don’t type what you were going to say. It relay is as simple as that.

Personal I am all for community moderation. Not because it is better. Obviously it isn’t. But because paying for moderators wouldn’t come out of perfect worlds profits, it would come strait out of the game development budget that is already too small by far.
    edited October 2012
    I have never used reported any one. Nor have I ever been chat banned. But there is a very simple way to avoid falling victim to it. Moderate yourself.

Before you type anything ask yourself, will this annoy any ordinary person to the extent that they will report me? then ask yourself, will this annoy your average idiot to the extend that they will report me?

If the answer to either of the above questions is yes, don?t type what you were going to say. It relay is as simple as that.

Personal I am all for community moderation. Not because it is better. Obviously it isn?t. But because paying for moderators wouldn?t come out of perfect worlds profits, it would come strait out of the game development budget that is already too small by far.

While I can agree that is a solution. It isn't a solution I agree with. Basically its to my understanding then if I wanted to I could make 5 separate accounts, report people with said accounts and have random people 24 hour chat banned for nothing more then my grins and giggles. That's the clear signs of a flawed system and it doesn't take a genius to realize that people will and HAVE taken advantage of it.

And PW-cryptic Doesn't have to pay for chat moderators, It could easily get volunteers from the game community through an application process which is what many other MMOs have done. And before you say "But they can abuse their power as well" YES but at least we would KNOW who's a moderator and if they are abusing the ban hammer we would have someone to report.. WTF do you do if you get 24 hour chat banned because you answered someones question on which energy weapon type is better and a group of trolls decides they didn't like your answer or just didn't like your user name?
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    As for doing something about the unfair 24 hour ban, not much. It would take more time for a GM to verify that it was done by a troll(s), so you're better off waiting it out. And I suggest that if you're getting banned on a regular basis, don't type in zone chat. At least that way you can type in other channels.

And I know plenty of people who would readily volunteer to be mods in game. Heck I've seen the forum mods in game, why not just extend their mod abilities to the game?
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • bheduwabheduwa Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    must be why i raaaaaaaaaaarely ever see any kind of zone or local chat, ever. I tons of ships and toons at any given moment, but never any chat.. keep thinking my game is broke.
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    the problem with live GM moderating is they can't read every chat channel all the time, the game has to have a reporting system or else actual spammers and goldsellers would run amok.
  • aceblade30aceblade30 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    How much ZEN can i get with $50 to $100, i don't understand how much to spend on ZEN cause idk how much ZEN to get cause idk how much to pay?
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    aceblade30 wrote: »
    How much ZEN can i get with $50 to $100, i don't understand how much to spend on ZEN cause idk how much ZEN to get cause idk how much to pay?
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Unless there's a sale, Zen is basically one cent = one Zen. Or in other words, $50 will get you 5,000 Zen, and $100 will get you 10,000 Zen. (Although there's actually a discount for $50 and up, you get a little extra Zen; 300 extra per $50)

How much should you buy? Look at the store and see what you want to buy from it, and buy enough Zen to cover those items, if you're not sure.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • aceblade30aceblade30 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    thanks that really helps me now that i know that i really appreciate it
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    voporak wrote: »
    As for doing something about the unfair 24 hour ban, not much. It would take more time for a GM to verify that it was done by a troll(s), so you're better off waiting it out. And I suggest that if you're getting banned on a regular basis, don't type in zone chat. At least that way you can type in other channels.

The one time I was chat banned I petitioned a GM, and the ban was lifted well before the 24 hours were up, because it was an improper chat-banning. So it is certainly worth a try to submit a GM ticket.

bheduwa wrote: »
    must be why i raaaaaaaaaaarely ever see any kind of zone or local chat, ever. I tons of ships and toons at any given moment, but never any chat.. keep thinking my game is broke.

Go to ESD, you'll see plenty of zone chat there.
  • harryquinnharryquinn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    bheduwa wrote: »

felderburg wrote: »
    Go to ESD, you'll see plenty of zone chat there.

Just don't go to DS9. You might want to go back to the good ol' days when you could honestly mistake it for being a single-player game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]